Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 20th, 2017, 12:42pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21597 times)
Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #380 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 6:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

probably not, all it said underneath was "Needs work"  ... lol   anyways ... would anyone really notice if you went out on a jaunt on the PA sub?  

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #381 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 7:00pm »

what kind of truck do you own fsd?

Ttm Alyth yard
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #382 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 7:12pm »

'07 Western Star, C-15/475, 18 spd, 20 & 46s, Air ride. Nahanni rigout with a h/l gate and T-450 floor. Actually ordered to be a self load logger. Wonderful truck. My 2nd Star. Is this off topic?

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #383 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 7:17pm »

on Nov 13th, 2006, 6:29pm, Chris_C wrote:       (Click here for original message)
probably not, all it said underneath was "Needs work"  ... lol   anyways ... would anyone really notice if you went out on a jaunt on the PA sub?  

Chris, I know I probably wouldnt get caught but I dont think I could do it even in a hirail P/U.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #384 on: Nov 15th, 2006, 3:04am »

A new member on the yahoo group suggested hauling garbage on the E&N from the communities along the rail line to the mainland. I add to the suggestion of why no haul recycling material as well. Perhaps shipping it to Port Alberni to be made into finished products like new cans, glass jars, boxes and then shipping it to the mainland to be used by companies for their products.

Aaron

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #385 on: Nov 15th, 2006, 8:02am »

As far as log truck reloads go I thought this would be feasable , for a while  Werhauser closed its north west bay dry land sort and shipped  all the logs to Chemainus.This made the yard to busy at once and made the haul to long for the drivers. If they used rail the haul would have been considerably shorter and they could run a day shift and a night crap unloading rail cars. How ever now that IPD saw mill is gone I think they are going to make that  a dry land sort because they can load logs wright onto ships with out touching the water witch makes the logs more valuable.There is no rail line to IPD. Maybe when fuel goes through the roof this will become veasable for timber west to ship logs to shoal island again via croften spur.

SRY1202
Railfan

« Reply #386 on: Nov 15th, 2006, 10:59am »

Most of the logs for shoal island come from the cowichan woodlands, to the south of cowichan lake, which has a subdivision with no rails. That makes it pretty hard to bring logs in by rail, but it is a very smart idea.

If there were still rails on the cowichan sub, i have no doubts that SVI could convince them to move logs to shoal island by rail. you could move more logs in one shot than trucks can do in the course of an entire day. unfortunately it's just a big pie in the sky idea now

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #387 on: Nov 15th, 2006, 11:04am »

As far as the log reloads go, the concept is quite successful on the Englewood Railway and has been since trucks took over the hauls to active cutblocks. Regardless, the logs get dumped in the saltchuck and towed to processing. That said, in many ways the system would have to be different on the E&N (SRYVI). SRY is quite adept at moving lumber and owns hundreds of centrebeam flatcars and actively markets transloading along their line on the mainland. On VI, we send a lot of our logs to foreign countries without processing. Here, for the most part, logs are trucked to tidewater to be loaded for export. Logging companies arent going to add another reload point just to ship by rail. Its inefficient to handle products more often than necessary, and few places on the island are very far from water. At other places logs are processed, but how many have a connection to the E&N? Several have rail service by barge but no connection to the E&N. There are a few who might benefit from such a connection but that is a marketing (logistics) question. SRY does have one trick to play, however. SRY/Washington Group probably has a better marketing program than most small to medium sawmills on the coast. SRYs ability to find new markets for new customers might be their 'ace in the hole'. I know if I were in a position to have someone else find customers for my products I'd be all over it. Especially if they were competitive in pricing for transportation and could gaurantee on time shipping. The extra marketing is a bonus on top.

« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2006, 11:09am by FSD8014 » Logged
timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #388 on: Nov 15th, 2006, 1:42pm »

Yes most of the logs for Shoal island come from the Cowichan valley. I believe Jack PEAKE has said he would like to see the rails return to Lake Cowichan. If you drive down that highway you could see why.I was thinkig more of the logs in the Comox valley shipped south.I agree rehandling is more costly but I was thinking more like having one big sort instead of a bunch of them up and down the Island on valuable land .Having one big one for timberwest and one for Island timberlands I am sure would be more cost efficiant.These are just my pie in the sky ideas untill  the public start a uproar about the trucks on the highways and polliticians make new laws I dont think much will change. The good thing is now that the rail line is more secure with the ICF  and fuel going through the roof we may live to see this.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #389 on: Nov 15th, 2006, 3:44pm »

I'm going to add an industrial site that is along the E&N. I didnt know about it until today but if you go down south Shawnigan Lake road to where the level (?) crossing is you will see a smallish industrial development with a stone company and 1 or 2 sawmills, The area nearby has been cleared and could see future development. Its really near the Malahat siding. Whats odd about the location is that the best access is by rail, the road in either direction from there sucks for truck transport. I'm not sure but doesnt the lake end have a low bridge? The other end is halfway up a steep hill on the Malahat.

« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2006, 3:46pm by FSD8014 » Logged
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #390 on: Nov 16th, 2006, 8:25pm »

Apparently Catalyst Paper is going to make an announcement tomorrow concerning their Port Alberni Paper division. I've been following what the town has been blogging on a local forum( http://www.alberni.ca/forums/) and it seems Catalyst has taken a hard line towards the operation. I dont have both sides of the story as yet, but assume an announcement will clear things up. I dont hold out much hope for a return to rail (to put it mildly) but I'll be looking for the announcement just the same.

Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #391 on: Nov 16th, 2006, 9:21pm »

well hopefully it clears up everything ... as much as i would like to see them return to rail... i think the future of this line is going to be more along the lines of 85% revenue from the Vic sub, 15% on the Alberni Sub ... basically the opposite of the past just due to population & development trends

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #392 on: Nov 16th, 2006, 10:04pm »

I hope that something comes up for the Alberni sub. I'm sure that SRYs sales team have been "beating the bushes" for customers all over the line. Is Weyerhauser a dead end? How committed is Jack Peake to rail tourism?

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #393 on: Nov 20th, 2006, 11:21am »

Another report on the Alberni.ca forum claims that "an announcement" is coming from Catalyst "today". Incedentally, I found a report on Catalysts' website that the Port Alberni mill was to convert from groundwood pulp to recycled paper pulp in an effort to cut costs and improve supply. So it seems that that report in this thread may be true. Alberni residents seem resigned to losing jobs at the mill there, FWIW.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #394 on: Nov 20th, 2006, 8:23pm »

The A-Channel news had on a piece about this. The news from Catalyst was that they wont invest to upgrade the Port Alberni mill. There was no comment on whether jobs might be lost. Link: http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/061120/b1120119A.html

B_Winkler
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #395 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 10:26am »

on Dec 26th, 2006, 1:59am, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Goto this link: http://www.fpnnews.ca/

I would be reluctant to accept anything written or posten by the 'so-called' Friends of Plan Nanaimo.  This group has consistently shown that they will do or say anything to further their cause.  Their cause is to prevent the Nanaimo Conference Center.  Judging by the last municipal election, most of them are also looking to get elected to Nanaimo city council.  

This is a political group with a poorly hidden agenda.

« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2006, 10:27am by B_Winkler » Logged
95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #396 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 1:58pm »

Wellcox yard in it's current state and all of the trackage is protected just as it was a part of the actual corridor.
There is only a small section that could be developed, and heck why not ,it would help spruce up the area as well as add security

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #397 on: Jan 18th, 2007, 12:27pm »

I heard on CBC radio yesterday that Catalyst is cutting further production (and jobs) at the Alberni site.   I think the dream of freight trains to the mill is pretty much dead.   The only silver lining is that Catalyts plans on subdividing and selling a large chunk of their industrial land holdings there.   If there is a hope for freight traffic on the line, it will be from whatever development might occur on that property.    

Hopefully not condos...."the Millyards"  

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #398 on: Jan 18th, 2007, 9:00pm »

The CEO & CFO have resigned from Catalyst over a rift with Third Avenue Management over the direction Third Avenue is taking the company. Dont worry about Mr Horner and Mr Leverton though, their severance packages are described as a "golden parachute" valued at $4.8 mil and $1.6 mil each. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070116.RCATALYST16/TPStory/Business

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #399 on: Jan 18th, 2007, 10:13pm »

on Jan 18th, 2007, 9:00pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The CEO & CFO have resigned from Catalyst over a rift with Third Avenue Management over the direction Third Avenue is taking the company. Dont worry about Mr Horner and Mr Leverton though, their severance packages are described as a "golden parachute" valued at $4.8 mil and $1.6 mil each. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070116.RCATALYST16/TPStory/Business

Yeah I heard about that. Doesnt bold well for freight coming back to rail on the Port Sub. The softwood deal, and apparent downturn in the asian market hasnt helped either.

I keep my fingers crossed.

Aaron

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »