Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 25th, 2017, 5:58pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21249 times)
Aaron Lypkie
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #360 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 1:53am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

So with all the bleak news regarding getting freight back to rail from Port Alberni. I guess commuter rail between Victoria Duncan seems to be a more possible venture. I just hope the provincial liberals get off their butts and start attending meetings here to get commuter rail going. With all this building in the south island, rail is going to be seen as a more attractive alternative.  

Aaron

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #361 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 1:58am »

In answer to pa_sub1: This is true to a point. Not all roads are open to heavy trucks due to weight restrictions or local bylaws. Road repairs and upgrades are also paid for by taxpayers. The E&N Railway didnt originally have to pay for any land, as it came with a land grant giving it (or the Dunsmuirs) nearly half the island. Now any changes require reacquiring land that is increasingly expensive. The railway at one time was a public works project of sorts, now its a private business and as such has to pay its own way.

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2006, 1:59am by FSD8014 » Logged
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #362 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 2:05am »

on Nov 11th, 2006, 1:53am, Coastrail wrote:       (Click here for original message)
So with all the bleak news regarding getting freight back to rail from Port Alberni. I guess commuter rail between Victoria Duncan seems to be a more possible venture. I just hope the provincial liberals get off their butts and start attending meetings here to get commuter rail going. With all this building in the south island, rail is going to be seen as a more attractive alternative.  

Aaron

I had the impression that there was or is a backer for the commuter concept, but I'm not sure how far that backing goes. Another impression was that SRY has given the concept a high priority.

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #363 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 4:16am »

You took me to seriously FSD8014 I was being facetious.More like damm trucks, foiled again .I too once made a living driving truck and understand there importance especialy with local delivery. You will never see tracks layed to some ones house for concrete and gravel supplys.What gets me is industries  that have been here for decades that haul bulk materials on our roads when theres a rail line right beside it empty. Some of the problem is what pasub1 said about property also industries dont like to be tied to one frieght  supplier they like the competivenous between the many different trucking  companies. If they dont like your service theres a dozen other companies willing to make them happy  unlike a rail provider .When ICF took over the rail line I thought  they might open the rail line up to any rail company that wanted to compete for any haul ,but that might be to complicated. That sure would be good for us rail fans if that ever happend thou.The other thing thats been bugging me about trucks and the E#N  land grant is before logging companies used there own private roads or the railroad now they just come to the nearest public road and haul there logs down it past the layed off saw mill worker that pays for those roads.I say no private wood down public roads use the railroad or there own road unless  there taking it to a local sawmill.They could have reloads similar to woss all up and down the island. My index finger is sore I better take a break.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #364 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 10:18am »

LOL, so youre the other guy on this board typing with an index finger. Youve also brought up some interesting points. I agree that many industries that easily could use rail dont. Some spurs still go to some former customers. I presume its up to SRYs marketing dept. to go after these customers and try to convince them to come back to rail. This might prove difficult, as CPRail chased away many customers and prevented RA from getting them back, so the trucks are a fixture. Another point is lumber. Currently, a signifigant amount of all privately owned logs are exported away without any processing. This has effectively screwed many mills and thus, jobs. A great source of revenue for the E&N and other railways used to come from moving finished lumber to market. Until the government changes the policy that sends logs and jobs offshore I dont forsee any improvement there.  On a related note, I havent heard of any loads being delivered to National Silicates in a while. (Well, I cant recall anyone chasing a Parksville turn recently.) Do they still recieve railcars?

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #365 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 10:21am »

to make it feasable to run, the easiest way to obtain a customer would be to service one spot, like a re-load. cars come i in and trucks take it off to the local market. Slegg handles alot of wood products otr from the mainland. I still think that tofc would work if maketed and done right.

Ttm Alyth yard
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #366 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 10:58am »

Ive thought that for a few years myself. Slegg would be a good customer to base that concept on. I'd still bet that SRY will try to get some kind of industrial park with (potential) rail service. This concept has worked well for both SRY and MRL.

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2006, 1:09pm by FSD8014 » Logged
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #367 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 1:11pm »

on Nov 11th, 2006, 2:05am, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I had the impression that there was or is a backer for the commuter concept, but I'm not sure how far that backing goes. Another impression was that SRY has given the concept a high priority.

As far as I know, the WestHills Developer is the main private backer and pushing hard to get this commuter project going. I was told a while back that the developer was willing to buy the railcars themselves, but I cant confirm this.

Aaron

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #368 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 1:20pm »

on Nov 11th, 2006, 10:58am, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ive thought that for a few years myself. Slegg would be a good customer to base that concept on. I'd still bet that SRY will try to get some kind of industrial park with (potential) rail service. This concept has worked well for both SRY and MRL.

There are several sites for possible rail industrial parks; the Welcox yard, north Nanaimo along TCH, south Duncan near Top Shelf, west of Langford and along the Esquimalt Naval Docks.  
Also depending on how motivated SRY is, a possible spur to Duke Point.

But I am sure SRY is looking at these sites as well.

Aaron

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #369 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 3:30pm »

Aaron, its interesting that you brought up the Westhills development. I have been working there as a contractor fairly steadily for a few months, except that its now called "Lakewood Estates" and being built by "Associated Building Credits"(essentialy the same co.). There is talk of a station being built on the site but nobody I've talked to there knows where. Next time I'm in the office I'll stare a little longer at the proposed site map. The site is still being built to LEED Gold standards and still includes rail based transit toward Victoria to the best of my knowledge. I dont know if the same ownership is still in place, I cant recall the mans name but hes in his eighties.
As far as locales for industrial parks go, I dont know about Wellcox, I thought Nanaimo had it earmarked for condos or something like that. West of Langford are fairly small plots surrounded by homes, malls and whatever is going next to the new Langford Parkway - and much of that has been sold. I dont know whats planned for the former Dept. of Highways (Mainland Hwy Mtce) property (owned I believe by Chew (as in the Excavating co.). On the east side of the tracks by Langford Lake is a fair size lot zoned industrial. Ive talked to one of the owners and it is a proposed old age home for most of it and a park named after the wife of Henry Eng for the rest. Another possible site is the Songhees First Nation near Admirals Rd. Likely available as a long term lease. Im not familiar with the others.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #370 on: Nov 12th, 2006, 1:47am »

Dan, is there an office for the public to visit for the Lakehills Development? I would sure like to check out the plans for the site. There was a website for the Westhills Development a while back, but I am not sure if its still current.

Its interesting to note. I was looking back over the past year on this forum for the rumors and speculation and boy a lot of entertaining discussions. I remember the long chats about container traffic from Port Alberni to Nanaimo or Crofton. A lot has changed since last summer.

Aaron

Pyronova

View Profile  

Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #371 on: Nov 12th, 2006, 1:32pm »

on Nov 11th, 2006, 4:16am, timberland#7 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The other thing thats been bugging me about trucks and the E#N  land grant is before logging companies used there own private roads or the railroad now they just come to the nearest public road and haul there logs down it past the layed off saw mill worker that pays for those roads.I say no private wood down public roads use the railroad or there own road unless  there taking it to a local sawmill.They could have reloads similar to woss all up and down the island.

This concept is not foreign to the Washington Group;   There is a Log Reload about 20 miles east of Missoula Montana, right on the Main Line of Montana Rail Link.   There is always a couple of cars being loaded everytime I travel past it.  I have seen the cars loaded heading west through St. Regis, Mt. (which is 100+ miles west of the reload) heading to unknown location (Spokane maybe?).

Canadian Pacific/CPRail used to have a system with Comox Logging/Crown Zellerbach where loaded log cars would interchange at Ladysmith to travel to MacBlo at Chemainus.   It would probably would not take much for something like this somewhere else on the E&N to happen again.

I like your idea of no loaded log trucks on HWY 19/19a and 1.  Can the government force logs to rail?  Those logging companies sure pay a lot in taxes.........  

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #372 on: Nov 12th, 2006, 2:20pm »

on Nov 12th, 2006, 1:47am, Coastrail wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Dan, is there an office for the public to visit for the Lakehills Development? I would sure like to check out the plans for the site. There was a website for the Westhills Development a while back, but I am not sure if its still current.

Aaron

Aaron, there is as on site office (an Atco type) behind Starbucks on Jacklin Rd. but I dont think its readily open to the public. If there is another one I dont know where it is. I hope the website is still up.

Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #373 on: Nov 12th, 2006, 2:20pm »

on Nov 11th, 2006, 10:18am, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 On a related note, I havent heard of any loads being delivered to National Silicates in a while. (Well, I cant recall anyone chasing a Parksville turn recently.) Do they still recieve railcars?

almost every friday, if not , then they do it the following monday afternoon  by the looks of things they have gone from 1 car / week  to 2 cars / week , and now sometimes 3 cars even

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #374 on: Nov 12th, 2006, 3:31pm »

on Nov 11th, 2006, 10:18am, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 On a related note, I havent heard of any loads being delivered to National Silicates in a while. (Well, I cant recall anyone chasing a Parksville turn recently.) Do they still recieve railcars?

That same night CLC fan reported 3 cars being delivered to National Silicates in the E&N Movements thread. I digress...

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #375 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 11:45am »

i agree that more traffic should go by rail, unfortunatly someone would suffer, for every truck out there that provides a roof over someones head and meals on the table. A happy medium would be nice, because as you know work out there is in short supply.

Ttm Alyth yard
Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #376 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 12:48pm »

Well its not like the truck drivers are doing that well anyways .. most of them were struggling to get by as soon as gas went above a buck, and while it is sad to see... thats business.

Back to potential customers... i was looking on Parksville's website at the airial map of the city, and right by National Silicates and the Parksville industrial spur is quite a large industrial park (which isnt fully developed) ... with plenty more room for rail access and development .... i am sure thats going to be up there on the list because that kind of development is right up SRY's alley  

http://city.parksville.bc.ca - Mouseover "discover parksville" and click maps

load the orthophoto , turn everything else off in the menu on the left

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #377 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 2:26pm »

on Nov 13th, 2006, 11:45am, boxcar wrote:       (Click here for original message)
i agree that more traffic should go by rail, unfortunatly someone would suffer, for every truck out there that provides a roof over someones head and meals on the table. A happy medium would be nice, because as you know work out there is in short supply.

Please dont talk about taking work away from trucks, I bought a new one in August. I cant afford a train...

Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #378 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 5:13pm »

i saw a 70 tonner for sale for about 6000 bucks a few months ago  

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #379 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 6:12pm »

Is it ready for interchange? Could I get running rights on the E&N? Dont get me wrong, I'd enjoy railroading but I'm stuck with the truck for now. And I can legally operate one. You didnt mention the 3 CRS20s CN has on their website for bids. Those I could get into.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »