Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 19th, 2017, 3:34am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21712 times)
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #280 on: Apr 1st, 2006, 8:20am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I assume youre phishing again. CN is critically understaffed everywhere. If you go to www.cn.ca/careers and choose from either Vancouver, Kamloops or Prince George you'll find them hiring conductors and mechanics. At Prince George theyre hiring supervisors even. Good people are hard to come by. From the last conductors class that they hired from between a third and half have quit. I got that from another board. In Prince George theyre hiring off the street. Id be surprised if they fired anyone-usually they make the working conditions (from on high) so bad that people quit. In fact I was PM'ed by a CN hogger from Illinois on yet another board about the treatment by CN there. At least theyre consistent.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #281 on: Apr 1st, 2006, 8:25am »

Oh, and I forgot to ask why are you asking on the VI board, CN hasnt had rail operations here since 1989.

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #282 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 10:06pm »

Not sure if this has anything to do with the E&Ns upcoming operation changes, however our new freshly painted SRY GMD1 was missing on the shop track today. Any of you see it taking a ferry ride today? Or did it finally get an assignment elsewhere on SRY's system?

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #283 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:58am »

There are at least 2 others in Washington blue that I have seen..1201, 1203, 1204...1201, 1203 are or were on the opposite end of the shop..no sign of the others yet...

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #284 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 1:28am »

Maybe we should install webcams at Wellcox and Tilbury so we can all keep track of movements of railbarges across the Strait.  

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #285 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 1:40am »

I just got back from Port Alberni after working a two day shutdown at the "Catalyst", formerly Norske, paper mill.  Here is the info I gathered (while also trying to work).  Sorry, no pictures, it was against Catalyst policies, and generally bad politics for our company to be railfanning during a major shutdown.

Good News:

- All mill tracks (excluding very short sections where roadwork had taken place) are still in place when compared to the site map I was issued.
- Railcar loading and unloading locations are still in place, albeit now fitted for  trucks or used for storage.
-Mill re-configuration and modernization plans have stayed clear of both of the R.O.W.s that run to the East and West of the main mill building.  
-Railcar storage tracks have also been kept clear of permanent structures, though some are cluttered with storage.
-A significant quantity of pulp is being shipped from Crofton to Port Alberni to be turned into paper.

Bad News:  

- All flangeways are filled with ashphalt to create smooth surface
- all recessed switches removed entirely; dug up and paved over
- bumpers at end of stub tracks blow-torched off at the railhead
- No rumours or any speculation amonst mill maintenance staff of any "return to rail".  It must be a really big secret to some fairly important folks if it is going to happen any time soon.
- The many types and large quantities of the chemical products once required by the mill are no longer needed due to changes in the operation (see below).  A smaller quantity of Hazmat is still being consumed.

Concerning the mill operation:

- Pulp operation gone for good.  Catalyst Port Alberni is strictly a paper mill now. No pulp will be made at Alberni again.  Machinery has been removed, the Kraft mill has been demolished and the land where it stood will be reclaimed for other uses once the salvage operation, currently underway, is finished.  The former pulp operation has been reduced to concrete slabs and rubble.
- The newsprint machine in still offline with uncertain future.  The rumour is that no newsprint is likely to be made there again unless there are significant changes in the world markets.
- There are two machines left running that are making a marketable product for which there is good demand.  One machine is making coated paper known as "glossy flyer stock" and the other is making what is called 'directory grade paper' such as your phonebook is made from.

Anyways,   if any of this info is dead-wrong correct me.   I saw most of it with my own eyes, but some of the details came from conversation with mill workers.

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2006, 1:52am by Cody » Logged
Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #286 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 10:15pm »

I didn't know to ask or look.  It was my first good chance to get access to the entire millsite so I had a lot to take in, while trying to fit 20 hours of work into a 16 hour shift.  Most of my time was spent in the production area of the plant where the pulp, chemical, and paper loading and unloading would of taken place so I didn't get down to the south end where that building would be.  I will look for it next time.

There was a bloody awesome hi-res aerial shot of the millsite on the wall in the safety office.  I would of bought it if it were for sale.   It showed the mill in heyday of railcar operations, with tankcars spotted in the chemical tracks that bisect the mill buildings, and boxcars everwhere, all storage and yard tracks packed to the gills, including two full cuts stored in the wye.  

Also in the mill site safety orientation video, it showed the mill's red and white end-cab switcher working in several scenes. The instructions were to "watch out for Heavy Equipment while onsite at Pacifica Papers".   The video dated itself well.

I was left with the personal impression that the end of rail service at Alberni was a result of many factors, and was not as simple as RailAmerica being a crappy service provider.   It might just have been a victim of the changing times.   As it stands now it could all be put back in service, as far as the millsite trackage is concerned, if there was a need.

B_Winkler
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #287 on: Jun 5th, 2006, 8:25pm »

I was down by Wellcox today and was amazed to see the yard almost completely empty.  The twins were moving 4 tank cars (which they later took up to Superior Propane) and there are 3 or 4 cars way down in the back of the yard, 3 hopper cars  up by the shop and that is it.  

The twins came back down by Terminal Park while I was at the bank around 4 o'clock so I assume they waited for the dayliner to go by before they switched out Superior.  

Something is about to happen.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #288 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 12:08am »

Expect to see a couple of GMD-1's any week now.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #289 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 1:30am »

i hope to be up at nanaimo this summer to check out welcox.

yes i am back,

after having a hardware failure on my computer in late November then a sewage flood in our basement in early january, i havent been able to respond to the discussion for the past 7 months.

but things are about to change

its good to be back

aaron

B_Winkler
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #290 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 1:51am »

on Jun 6th, 2006, 12:08am, CP8673 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Expect to see a couple of GMD-1's any week now.  

Any advance notice would be great.  I will get some pics and post them.  If not, it will be reliant on luck  

Bob

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #291 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 11:07pm »

Aaron, good to have you back. Theres been a lot of talk about commuter rail transit; what do you think?

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #292 on: Jun 7th, 2006, 2:13am »

I have been reading the posts these last few days. It is an interesting discussion. I think it can work. Start small and work up to big. Kind of like an enhanced version of the current service would work well. As for that planned development in Langford, it will help commuter even more in years to come. Now I know there is always those that say we dont have a big enough population to support it. No one  said that the service would carry thousands each hour every ten minutes. At least not now. But if planned properly and run properly (now that the E&N is local hands) I cant see it failing. If the service is successful in taking just 25% of the traffic off the Malahat, then it has done its job. Thanks to all this development, the future of the E&N  has never looked so brighter.  There is an open house taking place next week on the alignment alternatives to the Malahat (ferry, rail and road). This is part of a study being done by the provincial government due out in the fall. I hope that rail has been seriously considered. Commuter Rail would be easier to implement and faster than any highway improvements.  

Anyway I will have more to say on this topic in the coming days and weeks.

Oh by the way, here is what our premier and enviroment minister said this week;

CBC News: Freeway building will reduce green house gases
>
> Premier Gordon Campbell says he's confident building a better network of  
> highways and bridges in the Lower Mainland will help cut greenhouse gas  
> emissions, even as B.C.'s numbers continue to rise.
Environment Minister Barry Penner also argued that improving roads and  
> bridges will eliminate congestion that causes pollution.

Funny, I must of missed something. I had no idea that all that freeway building in LA over the last 60 years reduced pollution and congestion. (Notice my sarcasim here) Hey wasnt all that highway expansion in the lower mainland back in the 60's suppose to do the same thing. Those so called improvements to the TransCanada Hwy to Langford and Colwood has done nothing and guess what, now there is serious talk of rail and rapid bus service. Hmmm guess people just never learn.

Aaron

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #293 on: Jun 7th, 2006, 10:50pm »

Of course freeways reduce greenhouse gases IF your a sleazy politician and you think your constituents are idiots. In truth many things create greenhouse gas from internal combustion engines to us. At one time bovine flatulence was thought to be a major factor in it. People might actually believe this drivel unless the truth comes out. ' Hey it must be true, I heard it on the news.'

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #294 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 1:28am »

On the local community broadcast "daily"show (channel 11) on Shaw there is now a spot that interviews a guy who is hoping to have the old number 11 steam engine in Ladysmith running on the E and N by next summer. The run will be between Ladysmith and Duncan. Jack Peake is also there and saying it is part of the vision for the line.   The guys name is Darwin Generous (interesting name).  He seems pretty serious about it.

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2006, 1:39am by Cody » Logged
missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #295 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 1:46pm »

You sure the name wasn't Devon Generous?

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #296 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 4:21pm »

Perhaps.   Seems more likely, but the show said it was a group of two brothers that are trying the idea out..   Either I read it wrong off the TV Screen, or Shaw made a typo, or Devon's brother is Darwin.   I don't think I would have read Devon as Darwin, but who knows.

Who is Devon Generous?

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #297 on: Jun 18th, 2006, 11:50pm »

I caught the report again on the Daily show, but missed the name.  This is not some weird joke on my part.  

Is the Number 11 even capable of a rebuild?  Are these guys for real, or are they just trying to get on community broadcast?  It is a cool idea if it could fly.  It certainly is closer to Victoria than the live steam in PA and might be a big draw for tourists.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #298 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 11:43pm »

I don't know if this means anything or not, but while programming my scanner (Actually, a used Icom F30LT commercial radio that I picked up on E-Bay) with Lower Mainland frequencies and testing it, I was able to pick up the SRY RTC as clear as if he was next door.  Hopefully, this means something is going to happen soon with the changeover.  It would also be nice to have the dispatching done by radio rather than cellphone

(For those who don't know me, I live in Victoria.  For comparison, I can sometimes pick up the BNSF Bellingham Sub, but it sounds like they moved their dispatchers from Ft. Worth to Mars.)

DuxDucis
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #299 on: Jun 21st, 2006, 1:34pm »

The latest rumour I've heard is that two of SRY's GP9s (#110 & #119) are going to be sent to the Island as early as late July.  They have been taken out of service and are being repainted and receiving other minor repairs/upgrades/adjustments.

Documentation is being prepared in the New Westminster RTC Office, including train sheets, OCS clearance forms, and TOP forms.  The Chief RTC and Assistant Operations Manager both visited the E&N in May.

I would expect you won't be seeing any GMD1s on the island until late this year if at all.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »