Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 23rd, 2017, 5:45pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21282 times)
Jason King
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #220 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 11:30am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

It has been very quiet around here, and on the railway. Maybe they're sneaking the GMD-1's in secretly at night and hiding them up on the Port Sub. Quick, someone go see if the rails are shiny...

J\

torch
Historian

« Reply #221 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 5:01pm »

well...you  guys  saw  that  one  of  the  gmd-1 s    are painted in  washington colors  now..  and  they  dont  say e&n...   says  sry.    so who  knows  whats  really  good.

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #222 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 2:46am »

Hey Guys,

Didn't you hear?  They've barged all the GMD-1's to P.A. in order to test-run an eastbound double-stack container train into Crofton.  Mid-train slaves, dynamometer cars, everything.  Hope someone gets there with a camera....

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Jason King
Historian

« Reply #223 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 12:09pm »

Oh, what have I started? I've actually heard they're being tested up at Canfor, in preparation for the extension from Courtenay...

J\

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #224 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 2:58pm »

what next a rail bridge to the main land? Who knows maybe even a relocation of roberts bank to port hardy, with a doubled track main line...i wish you guys were serious, oh well we can dream...

Ttm Alyth yard
Jason King
Historian

« Reply #225 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 6:37pm »

Dreaming? You mean you don't.... Ohhhhhhh! You don't know do you? Haha, well how unfortunate...

Cheers.

J\

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #226 on: Feb 11th, 2006, 11:00am »

Thats odd, I heard surveyors were working on the Saanich peninsula for a connection to the barge slip at Swartz Bay. Or Pat Bay, I forget. lol.

95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #227 on: Feb 11th, 2006, 12:52pm »

There is also a rumour of coal from north island ,I actually heard that one.

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #228 on: Feb 12th, 2006, 1:10am »

It was Pat Bay.  They are also building a rail bridge to replace the Brentwood Bay ferry, and they are stringing catenary the length of Hwy. 17.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #229 on: Feb 12th, 2006, 12:14pm »

First I've heard of the catenary. Pat Bay makes sense since nobody lives near there. So its probably fair to assume Langford wont be the only town to get light rail transit.  Pat Bay with a connection to Mill Bay- the commuters from beyond the Malahat should rejoice!

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #230 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 11:01am »

Realistically, Railcan reports 900 carloads per year handled by the E&N. Thats 17.3 cars a week on average. Its pretty low. Much of the line gets only Budd railcar traffic; the Port sub gets none. The vast majority of rail traffic is industrial switching around Nanaimo. If the line is sold to ICF (or whoever) the E&N loses its railyard at the Nanaimo barge slip. These are a few things working against it. Worse, we live on an island where ferries deliver trucks every day- the barge goes once a week- not what shippers are looking for. I dont know what the future holds for the E&N, but it seems like only us, its fans, care.

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #231 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 1:44pm »

If there was legitimacy to the 'deal' going through in late February I think someone would have some good information by now.   If you search back through the posts on this board there have been more 'deadlines', 'expected announcements', 'impending sales', and 'new operators' than I can count, right back to the start of this board on Railfan.Net.  Anyone remember "IslandRail", complete with flashy "coming soon" website to sign up new customers and employees to run it's Genesis locomotives.

My guess is we can expect the status quo until one of the following things happen:

1 - The federal government sharpens it's pencils and pulls the plug on the subsidised VIA 'Malahat'.   I think at that point Rail America would be forced to do something quick.   They might shrink the railway to the customers that are on-line and run it as a smaller shortline.

2 - Railamerica decides that it cannot sell it's impotent railway to Port Alberni for anything close to what they paid for it.   RailAmerica might abandon the operations on the Island and become a player in the transfer of the real estate to whatever parties are interested.

3 - Someone with a few carloads of money decides to run a commuter rail service, at a loss, with an eye on spin-off profits from ownership of development properties along the line.

In an ideal world the railway would find new customers, create losts of traffic, and be a huge success.   I'm still waiting.  

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #232 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 4:56pm »

I know nobody wants to read bad news about our little railway but I kind of fear the next "news". Its been fighting its own extinction for so long that I have grave doubts that it can survive. Unfortunately, it wouldnt take much to actually take it out. RailAmerica doesnt want to be here and neither does VIA. Does Washington group (SRY) ? Maybe what we need to be asking is could it survive as a privately owned shortline and, if so, to what extent?

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #233 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 11:13pm »

I would like to see the government preserve the service for the time being if RA pulls out.   The existing right of way, and the efficiencies and environmental benefits of rail-based transportation, make it a worthwhile investment for future generations.

I am a taxpayer, and I don't speed-skate, ride a luge, or follow ice dancing.   If mega-bucks can be spent on building all the infrastructure for the 2010 Olympic games, I think a few dollars can be spent to save the E and N.

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2006, 11:16pm by Cody » Logged
CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #234 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 1:27am »

"Hear Hear!"  to Cody.  Sometimes I wonder what kind of long term thinkers the powers that be really are...

Pshaw to the Olympics - get (or keep) the efficient (or improveable) commuter system in place; that is what I think is better for the long term.  Divert more freight to the rails to clear the truck traffic off the highways.

I certainly didn't choose some multimillion expenditure on games in our province.

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #235 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 1:33am »

aww come on guys the future of women's hockey depends on a new arena in Vanc. Didn't any one say this before, apparently it's down with health care, education, and infastructure(including railroads) and go biathalon!!

Ttm Alyth yard
Pyronova

View Profile  

Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #236 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 4:16am »

on Feb 18th, 2006, 1:44pm, Cody wrote:       (Click here for original message)

3 - Someone with a few carloads of money decides to run a commuter rail service, at a loss, with an eye on spin-off profits from ownership of development properties along the line.

In an ideal world the railway would find new customers, create losts of traffic, and be a huge success.   I'm still waiting.  

As I am fortunate to get to work through Montana in the summer tourist season, I always have one eye on the 70mph I-90 and one on the best all around scenery in western USA : Western Montana.   Why?   Parallel RR trackage of the now abandoned Milwaukee and the NP (now Montana Raillink).   If any of you have never been, you all must travel from Everett WA on Hwy 2 to Spokane, then I-90 to Billings MT.   Everything you see will make you appreciate what the men in the 1880's to 1910 had to do to construct those lines.....    
   Back to my point;   I noticed alot of housing construction/subdivisions being built on the west side of Missoula Montana.  A big gold/brass sign was advertising to the traffic of I-90:  "Prime Contractor: Washington Group Construction" - or something to that effect (70mph and the sign kinda blurr at that speed....)  

Hmmm?  

Now read this......

http://www.wgint.com/about.html

I speculate from the above webpage.......  Carloads of $$$ to throw at a transportation infrustructure to move peoples from a bunch of new condos in Wellcox to work at their cushy gov't jobs in Victoria?

See here:

http://www.wgint.com/submarket.php?id=54

Gotta wonder if Cody is on to something............

Another question....  Since Washington group owns the barge service and the old BC Hydro line;  if they were to purchase/lease the E&N;  where would the barge slip be? - Annacis Island?   Washington Group owns a good chunk of it......

http://www.sryraillink.com/indust_park.htm   (Click on the Annacis bubble)

Second part of the theory...... What goods could be or are now interchanged directly from SRY (BC Hydro) and the E&N ?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #237 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 10:56am »

Firstly, Washington group is already here and firmly entrenched. They are Seaspan barges, including the railcar/ truck ferry. They are Victoria and Vancouver shipyards. They are Southern Railway of BC (SRY). What you dont see Washington group doing are small time projects that wouldnt pay well. This company divested itself of Iowa-Montana Raillink (IMRL) because the margins were too low. You cant put the E&N in the same class of railroad as Montana Raillink (MRL) or Southern Railway of BC (SRY). Already big time and capable of more. Dont you think a company like this would do due diligence before investing here? If there was money to be made hauling railcars from Port Alberni to the barge they would've bought out RA a long time ago. The only way they come and run the E&N is if they are fully subsidised. Its time to smell the coffee, people.

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #238 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 2:39am »

There was an announcement on A-Channel news tonight.   I missed the story except for the tail end.   "after the takeover" and a shot of the tracks was all I caught.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #239 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 9:03pm »

I havent found what Cody was referring to, yet, sorry Cody. (We're all awaiting an announcement on the railway) I did hear that the town of View Royal has given the ICF a $50,000 grant though! Thats good news.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »