Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 24th, 2017, 11:48am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21487 times)
boxcar
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #200 on: Nov 9th, 2005, 10:19am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

yeah alot of them are confusing, cp had some goofy ones as well, the yard  is a good place to start, alot of switching duties.  Good experience for you, which is what i am doing right now.  Cp gave a total of 5 tests with 1 re-write, if failed you were done.  Signals are easy, i have a cheat sheet if you need it, i will try to find it for you, let me know, and give me a fax #.  If you have any ?'s feel free to ask, the railways are different but much the same, oh wait cn has more derailments...lol. Can you transfer with them anywhere? I am looking at Cranbrook or Nelson right now.

Ttm Alyth yard
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #201 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 12:37am »

on Nov 9th, 2005, 10:19am, boxcar wrote:       (Click here for original message)
yeah alot of them are confusing, cp had some goofy ones as well, the yard  is a good place to start, alot of switching duties.  Good experience for you, which is what i am doing right now.  Cp gave a total of 5 tests with 1 re-write, if failed you were done.  Signals are easy, i have a cheat sheet if you need it, i will try to find it for you, let me know, and give me a fax #.  If you have any ?'s feel free to ask, the railways are different but much the same, oh wait cn has more derailments...lol. Can you transfer with them anywhere? I am looking at Cranbrook or Nelson right now.

Thanks, but I don't have any problems with signals, I seem to have them down. I'm not that worried about not making it as the BCIT course has really prepared me for the tests. This 5-week CROR course is really more of a refresher while learning all CN's special instructions. One thing I find interesting though, is at CN, we are not required to write down the instructions from a Foreman with Planned Protection( Rule 42) or a TOP. As well, if we're sitting in the siding waiting for a meet for a while we have to inspect our train by walking the train.  

I can transfer out of Vancouver, IIRC, only in Western Canada(west of Thunder Bay). For example, I could transfer to Kamloops and keep my seniority, I could even go to Edmonton or Winterpeg err Winnipeg and keep my seniority. I'm not sure about transferring to ex-BC Rail territory as they have different union agreements and different wages. They are all still under the BC Rail agreements and even the new guys CN is hiring for ex-BC Rail fall under BC Rail Collective agreements.  

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
boxcar
Historian

« Reply #202 on: Nov 17th, 2005, 1:00am »

interesting, we have to write out almost everything, especially 42's, and foremans instructions, we don't have to inspect our train on a meet, but the one that is coming at us, each person has to get on either side of it. hey btw were you on the ferry on thurs or fri of last week? Saw a guy w/ what looked like a cn rules book?

Ttm Alyth yard
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #203 on: Nov 17th, 2005, 9:42pm »

on Nov 17th, 2005, 1:00am, boxcar wrote:       (Click here for original message)
interesting, we have to write out almost everything, especially 42's, and foremans instructions, we don't have to inspect our train on a meet, but the one that is coming at us, each person has to get on either side of it. hey btw were you on the ferry on thurs or fri of last week? Saw a guy w/ what looked like a cn rules book?

Yeah, I was on the ferry heading over to the island last Friday. I was on the 1700 sailing out of Tsawwassen.

BTW, we still have to inspect the passing train with both guys on the ground. If the train we are supposed to meet is going to take more than a few minutes to get to the location, ie. if we were sitting in the siding for 2 hours waiting for a hotshot to go by, I would have to partially inspect my train, as much as 2 hours will allow. It's a rule E. Hunter Harrison came up with to combat terrorism, so he says. If I see the other guy coming down the track by the time we stop then the hogger and I would do the passing inspection of the other guy.

« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2005, 9:42pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #204 on: Nov 19th, 2005, 3:30pm »

Sorry to change the subject guys, but does anybody know how many cars the E&N moves per year? Say last year and projected for this year. And what is up with the RDCs always being late, shouldnt there be a bonus from VIA for on time performance? I'm trying to guess how far away from profitability the E&N is.

« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2005, 3:32pm by FSD8014 » Logged
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #205 on: Nov 19th, 2005, 7:13pm »

According to the RAC website the E&N moves 900 cars a year, a far cry from the 9000 they were moving in 2000.  

http://www.railcan.ca/sec_rac/en_rac_member_profile.asp?id=68

BTW, most of the cars for Superior Propane come off our (CN) line. I haven't been out to Tilbury to see if we switch the barge for tank cars for the ENR but I think we leave them there for the CPR guys.

« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2005, 7:22pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #206 on: Nov 19th, 2005, 10:50pm »

Great link. I'd never seen that one before, thanks. But 900 cars a year? My math isnt so good but theres 365 days in a year.....  That isnt much on a daily/ weekly basis.

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #207 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 7:24pm »

so here is what i am thinking, this doesn't look too good for the ol' E&N. I see the writing on the wall.  It seems like the railway will soon be a trailway. From what i see noone really is caring about sustaining rail service and is more interested in other ventures. As for this icf thing they seem to be a joke. I hope someone with facts can prove me wrong, but this is what it looks like to me.

Ttm Alyth yard
Jason King
Historian

« Reply #208 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 7:54pm »

I agree, things don't look good. I keep hearing rumours about SRY being the new operator and that we should "hear something" in January but these rumours are simply that, rumours. Over on the Yahoo! group people are asking why the ICF is being quiet, could be because a deal is about to happen or nothing is happening I guess.

Hopefully we get some news in the New Year.

On a related note, the commute into town from the Western Communities is sure getting bad these mornings. A commuter rail service is starting to look like a really good idea to me with the developments coming out Langford way like behind Langford Lake. How funny would it be to have the railway abandoned just as the rail line is being torn up... Is that funny or ironic?

Cheers.

J\

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #209 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 8:56pm »

About the only thing i know for sure is that sry bought gmd1's. This so far seems to be the one and only hopeful thing for the E&N, if, of course they are destined there. It is fun to speculate, but damnit, it sure would be nice to find out what the hell is going on for once and for all.  If it is the end hurry up and get it over with, but if revitaization is to occur then why don't they publish it?

Ttm Alyth yard
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #210 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 10:33pm »

I guess it comes down to me to be the pessimist, again. Show me one positive thing the ICF has done towards saving the E&N as a railway. Yes there are agreements in place to take possession of the ROW. But I've seen nothing to show me that they intend to save the railway. As I count it there have been several blown announcement dates, which to date nothing has been said. We have been waiting for a change at the end of December when RA is supposed to leave. Is there a rail operator in place for January 1st? Personally, I'm very tired of waiting for something that clearly isnt happening. Isnt it about time for Jack Peake to let us in on the ICFs true intentions?   Over the last couple weeks the discussion has turned to lifting the rails and fears of conversion to trails- we've all felt it. I fear the worst.

CroftonSpur88
Historian

« Reply #211 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 11:27pm »

FSD8014 wrote  "Show me one positive thing the ICF has done towards saving the E&N as a railway. Yes there are agreements in place to take possession of the ROW. But I've seen nothing to show me that they intend to save the railway. As I count it there have been several blown announcement dates, which to date nothing has been said. "

I  agree. To me, the whole ICF thing is a bad re-run of the sad sad story of the VIRDI.Rumours of agreements signed, when in fact there were none. Start up dates announced, then postponed, then pissed into the wind.Scroll way back to 2002 on this site and you'll find threads very similer to this, except with VIRDI.

While it's assumed as fact that the ICF has signed an agreement with CP, a fellow over on the group of Yahoos E&N site claims to have spoken to three members of the ICF, who told him that, in fact, no agreement has been signed, that CP will not put pen to ink untill the transfer tax boogeyman is dealt with.While I'd almost rather drink poison than agree with anything this gentleman has to say on anything, he is definately not a BSer. If he claims to have phoned and spoken to them, I'm inclined to believe him.

I think the land transfer tax issue is a smokescreen. I believe if the ICF was serious about renewing the network they would be raising a hell of a fuss with the BC government, or at least try to garner public sympathy and support to put some kind of pressure on them to speed things up. Something just doesn't sit well with me on the whole subject and I dont believe wer're being told  everthing...

Yes, a view of another pessimist. But I have to agree, the writing is on the wall. Get out now and get your pics, before the line turns into, at best, an  industrial switching railway based around Naniamo, or , at worst, a bike trail to work off those Christmas calories.

"the rails are somewhere under those weeds"
Jason King
Historian

« Reply #212 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 3:20am »

Well actually, I think the ICF is acting much different than VIRDI and the other efforts to save the line who promised the sky without actually having anything. I also have my doubts about the viability of the line however that perception is based on my observations of current operations which, down here on the South Island, isn't much

I'm not a businessperson, at least when it comes to something like running a railway but they must see potential. If the line had no potential transportation value, I'm sure the ICF would have simply let it die and then try to gather all the pieces together.

I'm not the sort of railfan that believes railways exist solely for me to take pictures of and the ICF has absolutely no obligation to say anything to anyone until they're ready. As you all know from my posts before, I'd rather have silence than live by all the mad rumours that have been flying around. I don't think I've heard them actually give any firm deadlines either other than "we hope to have a deal in place" sort of thing. It's just been rumours about closing dates from those people who claim to be "in the know".  

In deals like this it's commonplace to say nothing until you have something to say and I don't believe for an instant that the ICF is trying to hide anything and you know what? Even if they were, if not for them, I'm sure we'd all be out documenting the dismantling of the line by now.

And don't get me wrong, it's really fun to speculate based on facts such as we know SRY would be a good fit and it IS interesting they they have bought a number of GMD-1's.  Anyone got any updates on that front btw? Some pictures would be neat to see.

Cheers.

J\

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2005, 3:24am by Jason King » Logged
boxcar
Historian

« Reply #213 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 10:07am »

i was reading cpr's railtown site at work the other day, and typed in e&N, as far as i read the deal with cp has been signed but they can't go any further cause of this tax issue. Now what is the deal with this tax? because they are a not-for-profit entitiy. are they above paying it? If i was the govn't i wouldn't lift the tax. Just like any other business they should have to pay for the property tax. But it makes it really hard to pay for something if your generating no revenue!!

Ttm Alyth yard
95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #214 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 11:23am »

The rumour is......... ,The belt tax will remain in place and not charged to the ICF but if the ICF would try to sell off any land they have aquired ,the whole amount of tax on the entire line would be billed to them ...........sounds like a good deal to save the line.

virailfan

« Reply #215 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 5:50pm »

on Dec 14th, 2005, 10:07am, boxcar wrote:       (Click here for original message)
i was reading cpr's railtown site at work the other day, and typed in e&N, as far as i read the deal with cp has been signed but they can't go any further cause of this tax issue. Now what is the deal with this tax? because they are a not-for-profit entitiy. are they above paying it? If i was the govn't i wouldn't lift the tax. Just like any other business they should have to pay for the property tax. But it makes it really hard to pay for something if your generating no revenue!!

The tax involved is not a property tax. Nor is it a tax that was specifically aimed at the railway right of way lands.

The E&N Belt Tax covers all of the lands in the original land grant. Its effect on the current situation for the railway would never have been considered when it was introduced.

All land transfers in BC will have a property transfer tax placed on them. However, this tax is over and above that one, and is about 10 times higher.

That's right, the normal property transfer tax is about 2% of the land value. This tax is 25% of the land value.

Forcing the ICF, a non-profit, charitable organization, to pay this tax would be ridiculous.

You can read the actual tax law at:
http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/stat/E/96121_01.htm

RS

virailfan

« Reply #216 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 6:11pm »

on Dec 14th, 2005, 11:23am, 95XXX wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The rumour is......... ,The belt tax will remain in place and not charged to the ICF but if the ICF would try to sell off any land they have aquired ,the whole amount of tax on the entire line would be billed to them ...........sounds like a good deal to save the line.

Sounds like an interesting rumour, but what you are suggesting is currently possible under the law.

According to the act, the taxpayer can spread the tax payments over a 10 year period, as long as each annual payment is no less than 1/10th of the total tax due.  

Thus, what you are suggesting is already in place. In fact, the law is more lenient that what you are suggesting.

I think that any actual reduction of the tax would come from the wording of Part 11.

"If before the tax is paid the value of the alienated land is reduced because of fire or other physical disaster, the minister may forgive as much of the tax as the minister considers just"

Is there any way it is possible to convince the minister that the deterioration of the right of way is a "physical disaster"? Not likely, but that is about the only way out of paying the full tax, as it is written right now.  

RS

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #217 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 11:25pm »

Jason. There are pictures of SRY 1200, 1204 and 1205 on the railsnorthwest@yahoo  site. Go to files>shortline.  Have a look, they're at SRYs shops in New West.

Jason King
Historian

« Reply #218 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 2:43am »

Excellent, thankyou. Checking it out now.

Cheers.

J\

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #219 on: Dec 18th, 2005, 12:50pm »

For what its worth, Jack Peake answered somebody on the ENRailway@Yahoo site recently. While he didnt actually give any information, just the fact that he is paying attention to the islands railfans gives me a little hope. I'll suspend my disbelief in this process for awhile.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »