Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 25th, 2017, 5:51pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21243 times)
Aaron Lypkie
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #180 on: Sep 19th, 2005, 10:35pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Tyler I am assuming when you mean VIA wants to franchise the passenger train, they want to contract out the train to a third party? Basically a private firm running the services. If thats true, that will be I think a first.

Aaron

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #181 on: Sep 19th, 2005, 11:23pm »

on Sep 19th, 2005, 6:20pm, boxcar wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Tyler good luck with SRY, but i would be leary of CN

The rumors of CN being a horrible place to work are according to the CN employee's I've talked to greatly exaggerated. Besides most of the work as a conductor right now in BC is with CN.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #182 on: Sep 20th, 2005, 5:03pm »

SRYs GMD1s are being reported in WCRA railway news (http://www.wcra.org/railwaynews/ ) as numbers: 1116, 1163, 1169, 1170 and 1172. Formerly CN units owned by US based Taylor Group. They are to become SRY 1201-1205 and are supposed to come west the week of Sept.6th. If not already here, its the last chance to get pictures of CN painted units before they get Washington corporate colours. Right below that is a note "50 YEARS OF ISLAND BUDD CARS" with a short article.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #183 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 6:30pm »

on Sep 19th, 2005, 11:23pm, ENR3870 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The rumors of CN being a horrible place to work are according to the CN employee's I've talked to greatly exaggerated. Besides most of the work as a conductor right now in BC is with CN.

Speaking of CN. I went to their offices at Thornton for testing and an interview. I recieved a call today saying I made it through the interview and pending the results from the medical and background check(which I'm sure I'll be able to get through) that I'll be working for CN.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
boxcar
Historian

« Reply #184 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 6:53pm »

good on ya, i guess we will be rivals now...lol.

Ttm Alyth yard
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #185 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 8:48pm »

on Sep 22nd, 2005, 6:53pm, boxcar wrote:       (Click here for original message)
good on ya, i guess we will be rivals now...lol.

LOL.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #186 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 9:19pm »

Congratulations, ENR3870. I'm sure I'm not the only guy on this board who envies you right now. Seriously though, you've paid your dues- worked towards this for what probably seems like a lifetime and earned it. I hope its everything its cracked up to be and that you enjoy it. I kinda thought you were holding out for an E&N job. LOL.

95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #187 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 6:19pm »

I worked for CN for 8 years up to a few years ago and there is no underestimating how bad the working environment had become after they had privatized and became only concerned about shareholders and the bottom line !.
 If you don't mind working at midnight in Tuktayuktuk in 50 below weather have at it for the first 15 or so years.
Don't try to argue with me because i have lived that dream and i have a few friends there that are still living it are trying to get out anyway they can.
Sorry but it's the truth!
Good luck !

TRY FOR CP OR ANY OTHER RAILWAY THAN CN.

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #188 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 7:41pm »

cp so far is great at least here, i will try to transfer to revy and get my engineers ticket then i think i will try to go south after that, but like i said they have a kick ass pention + profit sharing.

Ttm Alyth yard
preservedsteambc
Railfan

« Reply #189 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 9:14pm »

on Sep 22nd, 2005, 6:30pm, ENR3870 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Speaking of CN. I went to their offices at Thornton for testing and an interview. I recieved a call today saying I made it through the interview and pending the results from the medical and background check(which I'm sure I'll be able to get through) that I'll be working for CN.

Congrats Tyler. I may be working to get my steam engineer's ticket later next year as the heritage groups in the province are actually getting short on crews - the old timers don't last forever. I heard the WCRA may be looking for some one with a mainline steam ticket to run 2860.

Roman
Preserved! Steam Locomotives of British Columbia
http://members.shaw.ca/preservedsteambc/
boxcar
Historian

« Reply #190 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 7:27pm »

hey TY, are congrates in order, did you get on?

Ttm Alyth yard
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #191 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 9:22pm »

on Oct 6th, 2005, 7:27pm, boxcar wrote:       (Click here for original message)
hey TY, are congrates in order, did you get on?

Still waiting to hear the results of the medical, should know soon.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #192 on: Oct 8th, 2005, 11:50am »

Tyler, congratulations on becoming a CN conductor. Where are you posted?

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #193 on: Oct 8th, 2005, 1:36pm »

Kamloops.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
boxcar
Historian

« Reply #194 on: Oct 9th, 2005, 12:24am »

awesomw ty my buddy is in control of the thompson sub, his name is clayton, if you talk to him tell him i say hi

Ttm Alyth yard
CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #195 on: Oct 12th, 2005, 1:05am »

Way to go Tyler!  Hope the job with CN turns out to be satisfying.

Kamloops, eh?  That's where I live.  My house is less than 1 block away from the CN bridge over the North Thompson.  If you ever have spare time in Kamloops and want to chat it up about railroads, send me an email at   pianomattster@hotmail.com  and maybe we can meet for coffee.

-- Matt

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2005, 1:10am by CPRail4744 » Logged

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #196 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 11:18pm »

Looks like I won't be starting on the 17th, but rather in the second class that starts on Oct 24th.

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005, 11:20pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
boxcar
Historian

« Reply #197 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 11:41am »

Hey Ty, how long is the course cn puts on. Kamloops you lucky bugger, CTC both ways...nice, no clearence running for you, eh? Do you have tests and stuff to write(classroom) or is it straight training? If you have classroom & tests, if they are like the ones at cp they are pretty easy. My advice though, is find a couple people to study with, it is way easier, oh and Tyler, watch out for those pesky 572's in your teritory, that could get a few. GL with it.  And if you have the chance for student trips try to do yard jobs you learn way more...the road in ctc is like watching paint dry!! BTW, keep this in mind if you ever get the RMR, these people are paying for their seats, you have the best seat in the house, and get paid for it...

Ttm Alyth yard
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #198 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 10:27pm »

Looks like there has been a change of plan, I'm actually going to be working out of Vancouver. I'll probably be in a yard for the first few years.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #199 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 10:33pm »

on Nov 8th, 2005, 11:41am, boxcar wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Ty, how long is the course cn puts on. Kamloops you lucky bugger, CTC both ways...nice, no clearence running for you, eh? Do you have tests and stuff to write(classroom) or is it straight training? If you have classroom & tests, if they are like the ones at cp they are pretty easy.

The CROR course lasts 5 weeks, then I do 45-60 student trips with a yard crew and on the road. A lot of tests, at least one signal test per day(that you have to get 100% on or your fired). The CN tests are a pain in the a**, some of the questions have more than one right answer and you have to pick the best one. They have questions to rules no longer in the CN rulebook or GOI and the only way that I get them correct is thanks to my RAC rulebook that I got from BCIT.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »