Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 23rd, 2017, 5:38pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21275 times)
Jason King
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #160 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 3:40am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Sep 13th, 2005, 1:56am, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It might be worthwhile to develop an industrial site near the line and lay track to it.    I'm sorry if I led any of you to believe that rail would absolutely be laid to Campbell River, that wasnt my intention. Only to state that they would look at it if the numbers worked.

Problem is, there's no where really close to the E&N to put an industrial park, other than the current development north of Langford lake that used to be a gravel pit/sorting area which I understand will have an industrial park area though that may have changed. Also, there are major plans for a large residential area there and on the other side of the tracks as well, along with a new parkway that will connect to Can West Mall and, eventually, Sooke Road.

As for Campbell River, I don't doubt you at all, just throwing out ideas. No one really knows what's in the cards, except perhaps the ICF and SRY, if they are to be the operators.  

Cheers.

J\

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #161 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 11:28am »

Well.. I believe that the ICF owns the CP portion of the line, but didnt RA get something like 10% ownership of that too when they purchased the Port sub? There were specific parts of the line that CP kept 100% control of like the barge slip at Wellcox and the yard at Russels. So who knows how this thing will shake out in the end? Guessing and trying to piece together real information from rumours and BS is all we've got. It would be wonderful if an announcement were made.               Heres a new twist on a familiar theme. I understand that RAs contract with VIA ends (or will be ended) on December 31st at midnight and RA might cease all other rail operations in November.   Hard to believe that this company is playing hardball at the negotiating table. They've made known they want out of here.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #162 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 11:44am »

I better clarify that. RA is tied to VIA until the end of the year. They can pull freight service at (I guess) any time. I dont know if they have to give much or any notice to their customers. Hey, crazy thought here but if RA withdrew its freight service wouldnt the ICF have to put an operator here to service the lines customers, I mean they would be responsible for that right? I'd bet that before RA was off the island another operator would be here so that no service disruption occurred. THAT would be interesting!

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #163 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 7:32pm »

I am wondering if the weed control program is not an attempt by Rail America to add some "curb appeal" to their property for prospective buyers.   Maybe they are spraying to minimize their losses when they leave the Island, and not for the purposes of safe running of trains.  The Port Sub might be worth a little more if it didn't look abandoned, and the Victoria Sub might be more inspiring to investors if it looked like a railway and not a lawn bowling green.

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2005, 7:33pm by Cody » Logged
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #164 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 10:18pm »

FSD8014 no need to appologize. The talk of expanding to Campbell River has been talked about for years. You didnt mislead me, I seem to be jumping the gun a bit. It would be cool to see that happen. But the main concern is the current line, especially in the Victoria area, as space for industrial parks is falling. Development threatens the line there. The Port Sub is very important, cant run trains with trees between the tracks. Only the ICF and the future operator knows whats going to happen.  

About the autoracks, I forgot about the speed factor, so I guess strengthing the bridges wouldnt be a big concern. I figure the banking of the curves would be important. As well heavier rail and newer ties.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #165 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 10:31pm »

Whoops, sorry i meant the banking of the curves would be for the passenger train, and straightening of some of the curves for the long cars, as I believe the autoracks are a little long, 60 or more feet in length. Perhaps someone can clarify me on that.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #166 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 10:48pm »

I have priced property adjacent to the railway in the Langford area, on average it goes for about $2 mil an acre. Almost too pricy even for strip malls. I couldnt even tell you if Langford wants rail based industry- they seem preoccupied with becoming a "bedroom community". I live here and doubt it.

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #167 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 2:51am »

Thought this might be of interest, the article second from last about RA acquiring more lines:

http://www.trains.com/content/dynamic/articles/000/000/006/153csyxd.asp?  

Why are they not doing well on the Island, if they seem to be a prosperous company that is expanding?  Not that I am saying that they should stay, but just curious.

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #168 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 11:25pm »

RailAmerica is not doing well on the island because the contract they signed with CPRail effectively wont let them. I dont have much in the way of detail on the contract, perhaps someone else can enlighten; lets just say it restricts what RA can do here. RA bought the Port sub because it was profitable, and ran the rest of the line by contractual agreement but without the paper mill in Port Alberni shipping by rail the whole line runs at a loss.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #169 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 4:06pm »

on Sep 13th, 2005, 10:48pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I couldnt even tell you if Langford wants rail based industry- they seem preoccupied with becoming a "bedroom community". I live here and doubt it.

The Municipality of Langford is very pro-rail, they realize that rail does have a future on the Island. I could see a couple freight customers coming on line in Langford. They are encouraging developers who are building industrial parks near the railway to offer rail accessible lots. There is also talk of adding another stop for the passenger train at the new residential developments near Goldstream.

« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2005, 4:09pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #170 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 9:29pm »

on Sep 17th, 2005, 4:06pm, ENR3870 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

There is also talk of adding another stop for the passenger train at the new residential developments near Goldstream.

Has VIA committed to keeping service on the island or is this to be a commuter stop? Or both?  BTW, did you get hired on to one of the railways since your cndr course? I see youve added a clearance order to your posts. Hows that going?

Aaron Lypkie
Historian
Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #171 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 11:58pm »

I got thinking about it, and I want to appologise for my comments earlier about langford and their developments. I hope I didnt affend anyone.  

I was in Langford today, and did some exploring around the old Safeway warehouse. If rail was to be reinstated there, all they have to do is take out the paved area near the loading doors and put back the rails. The road doesnt come close to causing any problems. There is a lot of development occuring near this site. The new Langford Parkway, which will be an extension of Atree Rd will go thru here. Between 2005 and 2008 the parkway will be extended to near Humpback road where another new parkway is to be built from the TCH to Sooke Rd. Its like the current VMP (Veterans Memorial Parkway). There are still many areas in Langford that could support rail based businesses.  

Regarding that new station at Goldstream, I have a map that shows what the new development will look like. It doesnt show the station per say, but there is a lot of commerical and residential development planned near the tracks.  

I have my doubts that VIA will be around in a few years time on the island.  

I am going to contact Langford for more information.

I will keep you posted.

Aaron

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #172 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 2:33am »

Thanks, FSD8014, for your insight regarding my question about RA.
All the talk so far sounds pretty exciting about the possibilities for revitalization of the E&N.   I hope I hope I hope it all comes to something!

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
boxcar
Historian

« Reply #173 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 11:32am »

so ok i have asked this in past posts  but hopefully someone has an update, when does the official transfer take place, and is RA still gragging their heels? SRY sounds like a runner in the operation of the island, who else could there be? I kinda of have a built up inticipation, of who could be operating there, maybe i could even apply for a conductor, given the right RR takes over.

Ttm Alyth yard
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #174 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 6:06pm »

Thanks for the kind words CPRail4744, we all hope for the best for the E&N. Coastrail, I wasnt personally offended by your words about Langford, it might be the way Langford is perceived elsewhere. Langford might end up being an important point on the E&N in the future. I'm not sure how that might play out in future but I guess there is still available land near the tracks zoned industrial. I also dont see a long term for VIA on the island though I'm thankful theyre here, I believe much of the E&N would have been railbanked without them. Please dont flame me for that statement, think about how little traffic (besides the RDCs) go to Victoria or Courtenay. Boxcar, I wish someone with the ICF would announce something official- many of us want to know. SRY is the leading candidate to run it, probably the best qualified too. On other forums people talk about other operators in consideration, those operators should be named- maybe they are worth discussion.  Until then: Fact: Washington group owns the railcar ferry. Have a "partnership"with Norske Canada (two mills with E&N rails out of service). Have a history of turning around failing rail lines. Have the money to do so without public backing. We need these qualifications.   Boxcar you can get in line for a conductor job behind Tyler.

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2005, 6:09pm by FSD8014 » Logged
Aaron Lypkie
Historian
Re: CN pics

« Reply #175 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 9:15pm »

FSD8014 I totally agree with your comments regarding VIA. I do too think that the E&N wouldnt be around if there was no passenger service. But I would also like to add that the unfailing support from the Vancouver Islanders over the last 30 years to keep the railway going. For example in the mid to late 70s, CPR wanted to abandon the line north of Parksville when the bridge over the Freek Creek needed repairs. Residents faught hard to prevent that from happening and CPR was forced to repair the bridge. There have been many times that VIA has wanted to end passenger service.  

Washington Group seems to be a perfect match for the E&N, as has been mentioned many times before. I am unsure of the other potential operators.

There is hope for the E&N. As I have said before, there has never been a better time to promote the benefits of rail travel on the island supported by strong multi-modal transportation system in each of the communties.

Aaron

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #176 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 10:28pm »

Coastrail, I'm with you on all that. Lots of times I've heard that the E&N was going to shut down or that VIA was going to withdraw passenger service, the countdown has been on many times on this line yet it refuses to die. The people of Vancouver Island and even the politicians have backed it- I firmly believe it still has a service to give to us. 119 years and still limping along through overgrown tracks on rotting ties, I'm amazed by this railways resilience. Things that would have killed most railways, lack of customers, extended periods of deferred maintainence and railway companies that want to abandon the line- we as much as anyone keep this going. Hey, its railfans and tourists that ride the RDCs isnt it?

Aaron Lypkie
Historian
Re:  Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #177 on: Sep 19th, 2005, 1:37am »

Ten years ago, I think many would have laughed if someone mentioned container traffic was possible on the E&N. Now with gas prices reaching the stratosphere, its may be a big possibility. The talk of resurecting freight traffic into Victoria was thought to be impossible, but perhaps could be a reality, although we wont know for sure until the new operator is announced by the ICF.  

With the talk of improving the flow of goods and passengers up the Malahat (everytime there is an accident), a new study by the liberal government is looking into alternate routes, there should be a push to use the E&N as a viable alternative to highway expansion. If planned and run properly the E&N could be a profitable entity.

The E&N has gone thru a lot of mishaps, neglect, poor maintenance, poor management, disinterest from the FEDs, VIA, CPR and now RA.  

An extension to Campbell River may be possible, but that is up to the new operator in its ability to search for potential customers there and along the current line.

Anyway, my imagination is getting the best of me here, but you never know.

Aaron

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #178 on: Sep 19th, 2005, 2:39am »

on Sep 17th, 2005, 9:29pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Has VIA committed to keeping service on the island or is this to be a commuter stop? Or both?  BTW, did you get hired on to one of the railways since your cndr course? I see youve added a clearance order to your posts. Hows that going?

I hear VIA wants to franchise the passenger train.  

I'm still without a job, but I'm currently going through testing for CN and SRY is hiring a couple people for the valley in October, maybe more people if and when they start running the E&N.

CN is, according to the HR person in Vancouver hiring at least 75 people for BC(Prince George, Williams Lake, Kamloops, and Vancouver).

« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2005, 1:46pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
boxcar
Historian

« Reply #179 on: Sep 19th, 2005, 6:20pm »

FSD8014, as much as i would love to move home to the island and work on the e&n, leaving cpr's pention plan and profit sharing would be dumb, unless of course it would be to hire on as an engineer, Tyler good luck with SRY, but i would be leary of CN, i have heard their employees aren't treated very well. CP will be constantly hiring, especially out in Calgary, or Edmonton, they can't keep people up in the chuck, but hey it would be a foot in the door.

Ttm Alyth yard
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »