Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 11th, 2017, 6:01pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21767 times)
Aaron Lypkie
Historian
Re:  Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #140 on: Sep 3rd, 2005, 9:21pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Thats an interesting piece of news (or rumour). I would think that the GMD1s, (assuming they are for the E&N), would be for yard work, as they dont have dynamic brakes and could not work over the Malahat or Port Sub, unless SRY in intending in adding that. It would great to see them back on the island.

Aaron

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #141 on: Sep 3rd, 2005, 9:58pm »

The Baldwins did not have dynamic brakes and they worked the Port Sub and the Malahat.  It would be advisable to have DB, but not mandatory.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian
Re: CN pics

« Reply #142 on: Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:23pm »

[quote author=RDC1_9050  

Here is a picture on what could happen to these units, if all goes to plan.

Say hello to E&N RAIL-LINK and the rebirth of Vancouver Islandís rail transpiration
system.

All the original drawings are from The Railroad Paint Shop web-site. They are in
Washington Rail Group Blue and Black with classic E&N Railway logo (Replacing the
big W.) as a nod to the lines history. † † † [/quote]

Hey I like your paint schemes.  
Perhaps changing the blue to a green might work also.

Aaron

Aaron Lypkie
Historian
Re: CN pics

« Reply #143 on: Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:30pm »

on Sep 3rd, 2005, 9:58pm, CP8673 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The Baldwins did not have dynamic brakes and they worked the Port Sub and the Malahat. †It would be advisable to have DB, but not mandatory.

Oh right , I forgot about that. It will neat to see these working trains on the island.

Aaron

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #144 on: Sep 4th, 2005, 12:10am »

It would be nice to get pix before they get painted in Washington Group colours. I think 5 is too many for just switcher duty, so maybe not all (or none) are coming here.   But then, as far as I'm concerned SRY has plenty of switchers now. Back when, CN used GMD1s on this island for freight and switching and they were up to the task. I forgot to note that NRE also had six GMD1s for sale so 1170 might not be among them.  Side note question: is SRY making a slug out of ex-Fraser Surrey Docks 8014 an ex CPRail RS23?  There goes my moniker!

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #145 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 8:58pm »

As for Dynamic Brakes being needed on the island I hear that on one of the current GP38s the dynamics arent working.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Containers and Ships

« Reply #146 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 9:18pm »

I've heard that Washington Group has bought the assets of CP Containers. Furthermore, I hear they are one of two bidders for CP Ships. Just looking for someone to confirm these things. I'm not trying to imply any part of these things is tied to Vancouver Island.  If true, Washington Group will require a lot of infrastructure assuming that it isnt included in the deal. Space is at a premium on the lower mainland.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #147 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 12:43am »

on Sep 9th, 2005, 8:58pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
†As for Dynamic Brakes being needed on the island I hear that on one of the current GP38s the dynamics arent working. † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

It's not like they actually need DB equipped locomotives, not nearly enough tonnage to justify using DB.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #148 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 11:46am »

Is Norske the key to Southern Railway coming to the island?  SRY has a "partnership" with Norske Canada, according to WCRA railway news (http://www.wcra.org/railwaynews/april2005.htm ), and moved 8400 carloads of newsprint and specialty paper in 2004. Currently paper product is barged from mills to the Sylvan Distribution Centre where it is reloaded onto special cars for distribution by rail. Product from Port Alberni is trucked out. The E&N was profitable for RA when Norske shipped by rail. Crofton should remain unchanged (barged by Seaspan, a Washington group company).Campbell River could remain unchanged, but could also be a signifigant market for rail service. Too, I've heard that the barge slip at the Campbell River mill needs replacing. Washington Group would spend the money to extend the line if the need is there. I also hear that SRY has identified 25 businesses that would convert to (or back to) rail if the current operator goes. I'm sure Norske is one of these. I've even heard that some of Victorias new car dealers would like to leave their new cars on autoracks until they get to town. Dont mind me, I'm trying to justify the 5 GMD1s that might be headed here. It seems like a lot of power for a railway with the low carloadings that we have. But then I guess they could barge over what they need here as needed.

Jason King
Historian

« Reply #149 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 12:50pm »

SRY does seem the best fit for the island and how cool would it be to see GMD1's back in the island? Easily one of my favourite locomotives.

As for extending the line to Campbell River, I just don't see it for one business unless there are perhaps others up there who would use rail.  I suppose that if you factor in the costs involved in operating a barge up there over x number of years, with gauranteed revenue on the new line over x number of years then perhaps it does make financial sense. I still think the costs would be too great but it would be interesting.  

Cheers.

J\

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #150 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 3:09pm »

Hiya, Jason. One of the points I've been trying to get across is just how deep Washingtons pockets seem to be. It almost seems as though the current state of the line and lack of traffic (and thus revenue) wont stop them from investing here. I doubt RailAmerica would have done so-even if they werent stifled by CPRail. It seems like Washington would look at just about any expense that would increase rail traffic. Dont get me wrong, Campbell River's paper mill has never had a fixed rail link, therefore in itself doesnt require one, but maybe other businesses in CR could see some advantage in rail service there. All it would take is a few long term contracts that make it profitable and it would happen. This line of reasoning would also apply up and down the line. I guess what I'm saying is Washington is a big time railroader, and must see real potential for the E&N.   If the naysayers are right then nothing justifies keeping the line open between Victoria and Koksilah siding, or Parksville to Courtenay. A low budget operator would only run the part thats profitable and would railbank the rest to avoid upkeeping it. Long term deferred maintainance and old relatively light rail have left much of the line in need of serious investment and SRY seems willing to do so. Remember, the ICF doesnt have a mandate to keep it as a railway, only as a corridor.

Jason King
Historian

« Reply #151 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 4:42pm »

Well, if SRY has deep pockets and is interested in the E&N then yeah, they must see potential that many of use don't see. That said, I can see great potential if they can get Norske back onto rail in PA, and the recent announcement of weed spraying on the entire line would seem to indicate that there are plans for that.  

That said, the sheer capital investment an extension to Campbell River would require strikes me as a bit ambitious but I can see potential with new business on the existing line.  Regardless, it will be interesting to see what happens.  

Hopefully there's an announcment soon.

Cheers.

J\

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2005, 4:45pm by Jason King » Logged
ENR
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #152 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 5:44pm »

Are there any potential customers that might ship with SRY which are south of the Malahat, or even in Victoria?

Would be nice to see something happen down here!

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #153 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 6:31pm »

sure there would be you just have to look.

Ttm Alyth yard
Jason King
Historian

« Reply #154 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 7:23pm »

on Sep 12th, 2005, 6:31pm, boxcar wrote:       (Click here for original message)
sure there would be you just have to look.

There are a few I can think of but with all the development along or near the right of way, it's going to be tough for a potential company to find somewhere these days that won't bother the CAVEs.  

Cheers.

J\

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #155 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 7:28pm »

Well, some of Victoria new car dealers have expressed interest in getting autoracks hauled directly into the city instead of by truck and ferry. SRY seems to be quite willing to lay track into businesses that want to ship or receive by rail( http://www.sryraillink.com/indust_park.htm ). Problem is that the infrastructure that used to serve these customers along the E&N has been removed and now few of the businesses along the route require rail. In some areas the industrial land has been rezoned to like condos and stuff. There are solutions to most problems and SRY seems qualified to handle them. I dont have all the answers and often dont believe what my connections tell me, but the stuff that seems plausable gets posted here anyway. I just hope you guys can make sense of it. Please dont cut my head off if I'm wrong I'm trying to figure it out too.

Jason King
Historian

« Reply #156 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 9:52pm »

on Sep 12th, 2005, 7:28pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
†Please dont cut my head off if I'm wrong I'm trying to figure it out too.

SNIP! Off with his head

Autoracks is an interesting concept actually and I'd imagine some sort of offload facility could be built down in the Victoria yard. Can't see that many carloads coming in at once.

I thought the idea of a gravel train was quite brilliant and the perfect site did exist here in Langford by the lake but it's all being redeveloped now so I doubt that site is suitable.

Cheers.

J\

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #157 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 1:00am »

Hmmm, heres a freight proposal. Ship all the CAVEs and NIMBYs by boxcar out of Victoria. LOL.  

Seriously

FSD8014, you bring up an interesting point regarding the autoracks. This would require an extensive enlarging of the only tunnel, straightening or banking of many of the curves and strengthening of the bridges on the E&N.  

There are two sites in the Victoria region, Esquimalt and Langford where there is possible sites for industry.  

As for the extension to Campbell River, its the last big market potential for rail traffic on the island. Whether that will happen remains to be seen. But it is a real big possiblity.  

Aaron

Jason King
Historian

« Reply #158 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 1:30am »

on Sep 13th, 2005, 1:00am, Coastrail wrote:       (Click here for original message)

FSD8014, you bring up an interesting point regarding the autoracks. This would require an extensive enlarging of the only tunnel, straightening or banking of many of the curves and strengthening of the bridges on the E&N.  

As for the extension to Campbell River, its the last big market potential for rail traffic on the island. Whether that will happen remains to be seen. But it is a real big possiblity.  
Aaron

Hmm, hadn't thought about the tunnel but I'd think the bridges are strong enough surely? Perhaps not.

As for Campbell River, well, if the industry is up there that could use rail, then that product would have to be trucked to the line to be loaded onto rail for shipment. Strikes me as far cheaper to either:

A: Build a small yard and barge slip and load/offload railcars in Campbell River.

B: Truck the short distance further to Courtenay and load/offload there. With the new inland highway, Courtenay is a short hop away now.

Just playing devil's advocate since I still feel the costs to push the line north are just too high but it would be cool to see it happen.

Cheers.

J\

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2005, 1:31am by Jason King » Logged
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #159 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 1:56am »

J/, I agree with you about the gravel train. Lucrative, but a space hog. Unfortunately the days of large tracts of industrial land adjacent to the railway near Victoria are ending and unless someone grabs whats available soon it'll all end up as condos and strip malls. This place is expensive. It might be worthwhile to develop an industrial site near the line and lay track to it. Still too expensive for my blood. Coastrail, I agree with you about enlarging the tunnel for autoracks; but banking curves and strengthening bridges? I wasnt aware of any weight restrictions on bridges on the Victoria sub and banked curves I usually associate with speed. If I'm wrong here please correct me.    I'm sorry if I led any of you to believe that rail would absolutely be laid to Campbell River, that wasnt my intention. Only to state that they would look at it if the numbers worked.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »