Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 13th, 2017, 1:44pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21778 times)
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #100 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 1:35am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Apparently I've blasphemed against RailAmerica (again) and deleting my post wasnt enough to keep from getting flamed. So be it. I said I wouldnt give up my source, since I'm betraying his trust by posting what he and his railroad buddies say in my presence already. In future I'll keep their knowledge to myself.

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #101 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 2:16am »

This thread ain't called "Rumours and Speculation" for nothing...

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Jason King
Historian

« Reply #102 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 2:37am »

on Aug 13th, 2005, 1:35am, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Apparently I've blasphemed against RailAmerica (again) and deleting my post wasnt enough to keep from getting flamed. So be it. I said I wouldnt give up my source, since I'm betraying his trust by posting what he and his railroad buddies say in my presence already. In future I'll keep their knowledge to myself.

I don't think you were being flamed at all and I'm sorry if you thought my reply to you was a flame.  You'd only be flamed if you started suggesting that we carry containers from Port Alberni...

Cheers.

torch
Historian

« Reply #103 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 10:00am »

hey! lets carry containers from port alberni!

B_Winkler
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #104 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 10:16am »

on Aug 13th, 2005, 2:37am, Jason King wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I don't think you were being flamed at all and I'm sorry if you thought my reply to you was a flame.  You'd only be flamed if you started suggesting that we carry containers from Port Alberni...

Cheers.

Sadly, this is too true.  I have been on this board for a long time, first as a lurker and then, as time went on, I tried to be a contributor.  Somewhat naively, I assumed that the folks here really wanted to have an open discussion based on the E&N.  

When I brought up the container idea, it was based on something I had read from the (I think) Business Examiner that had a number of business and political people that were looking at the idea.  

I thought it had merit but I fully expected a spirited discussion.  What I did not expect was to see the supporters of this idea mocked and ridiculed for even suggesting it.  

There are some people on this board who should maybe examine their motives for being here.  As for me, I dont much like the tone this board has taken and am going to back on out for a while.  

Bob Winkler
Nanaimo, BC

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #105 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 11:20am »

Bob, I brought this container idea up to some people along time ago, plus the idea of tofc up and down the island, that might be a better reality based on the fuel prices out there now.  I think containers would be a good idea(if done properly). my idea was get them marshalled in vancouver for the ones that come to the island, and unload them here, in a centralized location, but i don't agree with the idea of ships tying up in port alberni and having container trains run from there to naniamo just to go on a barge that couldn't hold a full train if it tried. Maybe it would work with something a little less time sensitive, like potash, grain, or sulpher.

Ttm Alyth yard
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #106 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 12:33pm »

I also made the mistake of posting what I'd heard about container traffic from Port Alberni. Its odd that this keeps coming up despite the derision of naysayers. I admit it sounds farfetched to me too, but this is what I know. Washington group is set to spend $40 to 50 million on upgrades to the line: heavier rail, better ballast; in some places improvements to the grades. What I didnt hear was anything about the north end of the line except one thing that I'll touch on later. Mostly it was the Alberni sub. and down through Crofton. NO way does the mill in Alberni justify that expenditure. What else is in Port Alberni? The way I heard it containers would be loaded directly to rail there, moved to Crofton,barged to Olympia,Washington for interchange with BNSF. Could this be faster? Damned if I know. But I know this, rail frieght headed east from Olympia will travel over MRL. How many times does a unit of Washington Group handle these things, and most importantly does he get paid to do it? The answer is all of them and YES. If y'all dont like this post either Ill delete it too.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #107 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 3:08pm »

Its unfortunate that there are some people that will try to put down anything that comes up.

Bob I hope that you dont leave.  

I think that there are people out there that are afraid that this idea will work and prove that they are wrong. The E&N for years has be neglected, threatened with abandonment and not given a chance to prove itself.  

If Washington Group sees potential in the line and is willing to put money into the E&N (assuming that this is true, and I hope it is) then why is there this argument that continues to surface.

The E&N has brought a lot of emotion. We need to stop taking things so personally on this forum. lets try to keep discussions professional as possible. For all we know, washington group could be monitoring this.  

We could all be right or wrong.

Now to the business at hand.
Now the Alberni sub was only talked about and I would like to hear more about if there is any mention about possible traffic on the northern (courtenay)  and southern (Victoria) parts of the line.

Imagine for a second, of dozens of trains a day on the E&N ( I can just hear the cycling groups crying right now)  

Aaron

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #108 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 1:20am »

It would be very great if this Rumour about Washington/SRY is the truth.  It seems like a lot of money to spend for a mill that is half shut down.   Does anyone know if fortunes are on the rise for Norske's Port Alberni operation?  Last time I was through the mill it was nothing but bad news.

One possibility for the Alberni line, that would tie in nicely with Nanaimo's new push to become a tourist mecca, is excursion passenger service to Port Alberni.   The trip is short enough that you could go there and back in day.   It would be great for Nanaimo and for Port Alberni, and would be a scenic trip.  This service might compliment whatever freight traffic could be added.

What do you guys think about the viablility of a trouist train to the alberni valley??

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #109 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 1:57am »

that would be a great lifted spirit for the e&n PA to crofton, that would also eliviate traffic jams in vancouver and at the border, that makes sense to me

Ttm Alyth yard
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #110 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 3:04am »

I did read on Nanaimos business website, that there was talk of making Nanaimo a free trade zone. The E&N was to play a big part in this, with containers being shipped from Port Alberni to Nanaimo. The business community seemed to be very serious about this. This was a few months ago, I cant remember if I posted the article here or not.

aaron

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #111 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 3:38am »

on Aug 13th, 2005, 12:33pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
But I know this, rail frieght headed east from Olympia will travel over MRL. .

FSD8014, please forgive my ignorance, What is "MRL"?   You seem to be a good source of info; where or what are your sources, if I may be so bold?

B_Winkler, please don't leave, it is everybody here that contributes, including yourself, and  

Everybody, again I would like to express my great satisfaction in gathering knowledge about the E&N and getting all the info you all have to share.  It is very satisfying hearing from everybody about the railroad of my childhood days on the Island.  I check the board almost everyday and am very excited if there really is to be a revival for the line.  Thanks all!

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #112 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 12:34pm »

MRL is Montana Rail Link, Washington groups flagship railway based out of Missoula, Montana. http://www.montanarail.com/  Come to think of it Washington group is based out of Missoula, Montana. http://washcorp.com/  MRL operates over former Northern Pacific trackage between Spokane, Washington and Billings, Montana. BNSF trackage is at either end of MRLs and they are effectively the link between BNSF pacific northwest (west of Spokane) and eastbound (east of Billings).

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #113 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 2:32pm »

I also made the mistake of posting what I'd heard about container traffic from Port Alberni. Its odd that this keeps coming up despite the derision of naysayers. I admit it sounds farfetched to me too, but this is what I know. Washington group is set to spend $40 to 50 million on upgrades to the line: heavier rail, better ballast; in some places improvements to the grades. What I didnt hear was anything about the north end of the line except one thing that I'll touch on later. Mostly it was the Alberni sub. and down through Crofton. NO way does the mill in Alberni justify that expenditure. What else is in Port Alberni? The way I heard it containers would be loaded directly to rail there, moved to Crofton,barged to Olympia,Washington for interchange with BNSF. Could this be faster? Damned if I know. But I know this, rail frieght headed east from Olympia will travel over MRL. How many times does a unit of Washington Group handle these things, and most importantly does he get paid to do it? The answer is all of them and YES. If y'all dont like this post either Ill delete it too.  
Posted by: Coastrail  

Guys this is what i think about it all, first I love the E&N, I would love to see it flourish, I would love to work on it one day, but I could see it hard getting customers because of all this talk in recent years of it's inevitable demise, customers want security in making sure their products will be delivered and picked up. Second is the rumor true about the WASH. group? Now for my most important thing, as far as i am concerned this is a chat group, peoples opinions only. Sure there are some people who think they know more and it seems that they belittle others in their posts, and i am sure some out there feel that i do it to. I post strongly only on the things I know to be true, example anything with trucking, i have been in the industry for 10 yrs.  But everything else is just my opinion. I had a good debate with someone on the issues of commuter rail, for me it was fun they got their point across and  i think i got mine across, I personally, don't mean to offend anyone by what i write on here. But the thing i am getting at is these are just opinions, for the most part, and rumors and dreams in alot of it, who really knows what will happen in the future to this line? It, for me, is a fun place to get ideas and see photos, but mostly debate and read others debates. But again MY opinion, and truely what the hell do i know, i am just a In- training CPR conductor!!

Ttm Alyth yard
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #114 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 6:08pm »

I'm with you, Boxcar, in how I feel about the E&N. Its been a part of my life as long as I can remember and I want to see it do better. In Victoria (well, Langford), all you ever see are the Budd cars, twice a day. I like 'em but I miss freight trains. I worry that VIA might discontinue the Malahat for some reason- can you picture the line south of Koksilah and north of Parksville being railbanked? We know this is a working railway but public perception misses this. Proof? When crossing signals are activated here people drive through as though it were a mistake. This creates the other public awareness of the railway when trains hit vehicles- making news.  Hey! The last spike was driven on the E&N on August 13, 1886 by Sir John A Macdonald, making it 119 years old yesterday. How'd we miss that?

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #115 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 5:55pm »

I was skeptical at first about containers, but that was before I found out that there is major container shipper seriously looking at Port Alberni.  

BTW, some people from SRY were in our class on Friday talking about what it is like to work on a shortline. I brought up the question of whether or not they are one of the bidders for the ICF operator contract, they said that they have expressed interest in the E&N, but have not submitted anything to the ICF. So with SRY saying they are not involved, it begs the question. Who's the operator?? Due to the Belt tax issue we won't find out until September at the earliest. I'm dying to find out who's going to be running things so I can get my application in.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #116 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 6:41pm »

Thats interesting news. My information had ceded operation of the E&N to SRY effective midnight January 1st. I'm not saying either of us is right or wrong, it could be that things havent been totally sorted out yet. Or, perhaps theyre smart enough not to let this out to the public until an announcement is made. BTW, Tyler, my information had China Shipping/ Cosco as the interested container shipper. Who did you hear?

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #117 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 9:40pm »

on Aug 15th, 2005, 6:41pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Or, perhaps theyre smart enough not to let this out to the public until an announcement is made. BTW, Tyler, my information had China Shipping/ Cosco as the interested container shipper. Who did you hear?

It's possible that they are keeping quiet. I didn't actually hear the name of the shipper, just that it is  a fairly large company.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #118 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 10:35pm »

This is becoming even more exciting as I read these posts. I know they are just rumours.  

I do too think that SRY knows more than they are saying.  About that major container shipper having interest in Port Alberni, it sounds really positive. I am assuming that the China Shipping/Costco, is refering to the same store here in North America?'
Someone mentioned about Washington Group spending 40-50million on up grading the Port Sub (if this is true). I am assuming some of the bridges will have to be upgraded substanially or replaced, being that majority of them are wood.
Aaron

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #119 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 1:08am »

Cosco-China Ocean Shipping Company

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »