Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 13th, 2017, 9:25pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rolling stock seen on the E&N
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rolling stock seen on the E&N
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rolling stock seen on the E&N  (Read 8276 times)
Cody
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rolling stock seen on the E&N
  random_pics_092.jpg - 63201 Bytes
« Reply #80 on: May 10th, 2007, 4:21pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I saw a car I didn't expect at Welcox yesterday.   The car is a calcium carbonate / clay slurry service car.    Some paper mills use calcium carbonate (chalk) as a substitute for Kaolin clay for coated paper as Kaolin is getting expensive.  

Am I forgeting/missing something, or is this a paper-mill service car?  Notice stencil ("calcium carbonate or clay slurry service only").

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/random_pics_092.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

random_pics_091.jpg - 75609 Bytes
« Reply #81 on: May 10th, 2007, 4:27pm »

pic 2

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/random_pics_091.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #82 on: May 10th, 2007, 5:38pm »

Interesting catch. I wonder where it's going,  Port Alberni perhaps? LOL. Seriously though I bet it's probaby being unloaded at Wellcox. Nice to see some of the old pulp mill traffic back, even if it is only one car being unloaded at Wellcox.

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2007, 5:55pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #83 on: May 12th, 2007, 12:48am »

The funny thing is that other than Port Alberni, the other mills (Elk Falls/Harmac/Crofton) all have barge slips and get their own railcars delivered directly.

I would guess this load is for Port Alberni and will be transloaded to truck for the trip over the hill.

So that might mean Catalyst (ex-Norske) is now a customer again, which is interesting in itself.   It also implies that SRY has picked up another customer.

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2007, 12:51am by Cody » Logged
North49
Former Member

« Reply #84 on: May 12th, 2007, 3:11am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

It'd be nice if they could convince them to ship by rail again instead of truck, any trucks taken off the road is a good thing in my books, I really dislike truckers....

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #85 on: May 12th, 2007, 3:37am »

No No No, what we don't like is excessive numbers of trucks on the highway when the railroads deserve the business.  I think we all like truckers...

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
torch
Historian

« Reply #86 on: May 12th, 2007, 6:16am »

truckers are ok in my  books too... but lets get them shipments  back on the  rails...  trucks have a monoploy on everything already.

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #87 on: May 12th, 2007, 11:09am »

hey alot of truck drivers are good, it's the fly by night driving schools that are bad, and the thing is our gov't's let them get away with it. Rail of course is the best solution, especially versus congested hiways.

Ttm Alyth yard
blackdog
Railfan

« Reply #88 on: May 12th, 2007, 11:41am »

There's an easy way to shift cargo from road to rail. Rail just has to charge less than the truckers. Trouble is, in the UK anyway, rail operators have to pay for their tracks, while the government pays for the roads. Guess it's the same in Canada, but much depends on what Southern Railway is paying the ICF. It was CP Rail's 'per axle/mile' charge that killed the island's rail system. I reckon ICF takes a very different view....

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #89 on: May 12th, 2007, 7:28pm »

on May 12th, 2007, 11:41am, blackdog wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There's an easy way to shift cargo from road to rail. Rail just has to charge less than the truckers. Trouble is, in the UK anyway, rail operators have to pay for their tracks, while the government pays for the roads. Guess it's the same in Canada, but much depends on what Southern Railway is paying the ICF. It was CP Rail's 'per axle/mile' charge that killed the island's rail system. I reckon ICF takes a very different view....

The per axle/mile would have applied to what CP charged Via for use of their track and really had nothing to do with freight operations

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #90 on: May 12th, 2007, 7:30pm »

on May 12th, 2007, 6:16am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
truckers are ok in my  books too... but lets get them shipments  back on the  rails...  trucks have a monoploy on everything already.

Well said, trucks have their place.  Just get as much Hazmat off the roads as possible to start.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #91 on: May 12th, 2007, 9:34pm »

on May 12th, 2007, 7:30pm, CP8673 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Well said, trucks have their place.  Just get as much Hazmat off the roads as possible to start.
As possibly the only trucker on this discussion, I actually agree with this - within reason. Trucks should complete final deliveries in small doses after trains do the bulk. That goes for pretty much everything.  
I have devoted a lot of energy to try to move aggregate down island by train ('cuz aggregate transport is my line of work) but can't overcome the high price of industrial real estate near the E&N on the south end of the line. The rest is pretty easy to piece together. The first outfit to do this stands to make some money. Land here is too expensive.

Piglet
Historian

« Reply #92 on: May 12th, 2007, 11:43pm »

FSD8014 your not the only trucker here lol.  Like the bumper sticker says if you got it a truck brought it.  I just think we need a better system then long hauling stuff when we could short haul from a team track or something similar.  I watch long CP trains here in Alberta everyday when Im running from Edmonton to Calgary and back.  They are  mostly pipe trains, intermodal, sulfer and grainers.  If the green gang really want to make a difference they should back the tracks to the max.  There are some things trucks do better but bulk movements are not really one of them.

we learn from the past
boxcar
Historian

« Reply #93 on: May 13th, 2007, 10:39pm »

piglet who do you drive for?

Ttm Alyth yard
timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #94 on: May 14th, 2007, 12:16am »

Went by Welcox saturday around 11 am and saw a center beam bulkhead sitting on its own and the two diesels  running. Went by again around 3 pm and the center beam was coupled to a ballast car and 2 empty log cars ,whats that all about. As well the calcium carbonate car you were asking about was coupled to a hopper and looked like it was heading back to the mainland. Isnt calcium carbonate the stuff they use for dust control or am I getting this mixed up with something else.

torch
Historian

« Reply #95 on: May 14th, 2007, 1:53am »

man! something is really  startin to happen over there on the island.. is it at  all possible  for  anyone to  get some fotos at the yard  of the centerbeam? I wonder what will come in monday on the barge.

Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #96 on: May 14th, 2007, 3:08pm »

i didnt see one this morning when i went past... but there were an awfull lot of cars in the tracks closest to the street

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #97 on: May 14th, 2007, 5:01pm »

There does seem to be more cars in the yard than usual .Whent by around 1:30 and a big tandem southern railway hi rail truck was there with a large plastic tank on the back I am presuming this is for weed spraying. Both A CHANNEL and CHECK news were there and over a dozen people looking at this truck

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #98 on: May 14th, 2007, 7:39pm »

I believe the dust control chemical used on the island is magnesium chloride or "mag".   Correct me if I'm wrong.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #99 on: May 14th, 2007, 8:09pm »

Does anyone know what became of the centerbeam car some of you guys saw at Wellcox? That almost sounds like another potential customer. Could be interesting.
Still quite impressed with SRY for 'beating the bushes' to find traffic for the E&N, they're obviously not put off by occasional customers like previous operators were. Kudos to them.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »