Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 23rd, 2017, 4:21pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rolling stock seen on the E&N
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rolling stock seen on the E&N
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rolling stock seen on the E&N  (Read 8122 times)
ENR_fan
Chaser
View Profile  

Re: Rolling stock seen on the E&N
  IMG_0331.jpg - 67835 Bytes
« Reply #60 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 2:32am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I was up at Wellcox today and snapped some pics... these just supplement Cody's fine work

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_0331.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENR_fan
Chaser
View Profile  

IMG_0333.jpg - 48194 Bytes
« Reply #61 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 2:34am »

String of empties, wide angle...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_0333.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENR_fan
Chaser
View Profile  

IMG_0335.jpg - 71475 Bytes
« Reply #62 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 2:35am »

The power at rest...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_0335.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #63 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 2:43am »

Good to get a shot of the 2099 ENR Fan.  

These seem to be changing times and that is one hulk that might not be around much longer.   Does it come with the railway?   Maybe the ICF should fire it up and burn some rust off the flanges; that is, if it has an engine.

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #64 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 3:54am »

Sorry Cody, that would not be rust on the flanges, it is orange coloured DIRT, of course.  

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #65 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 7:00pm »

on Jun 19th, 2006, 2:43am, Cody wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Good to get a shot of the 2099 ENR Fan.  

These seem to be changing times and that is one hulk that might not be around much longer.   Does it come with the railway?   Maybe the ICF should fire it up and burn some rust off the flanges; that is, if it has an engine.

I think it still has an engine, what it lacks are components of the braking system.  BTW , how deep is the water at the end of the barge slip.

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #66 on: Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:29am »

just an fyi the 3004 was at the fuel racks in alyth a couple days ago coupled to a 9100 series unit.

Ttm Alyth yard
Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #67 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 4:18pm »

hmmm if thats what was there on sunday, the barge must not have come in yet this morning... because those cars were still there along with the white Procor car too....

craigolio1
Railfan

« Reply #68 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 8:42am »

Can anyone tell me if RDC 6130 ever served on the E&N and if so roughly what time period?

Thanks, Craig

cn2220
Historian
  via6130atw.jpg - 55430 Bytes
« Reply #69 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 4:55pm »

Summer of 2000 to early 2002 when 6133 and 6148 were off island for repair/rebuild, and late summer, early fall of 2004 when 6133 and 6148 were out of service.

Not the best photo, but 6130 on the turntable in Victoria the last time it was here.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/via6130atw.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2006, 5:04pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #70 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 1:53am »

nice pic. hopefully they will get a second RDC running as well. Does anyone know what the ridership levels are like right now? I bet they have had to turn away people or are they only selling tickets for one RDC?

theboilerflue
TRAINing

« Reply #71 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 4:40am »

Hey there, I'm coming up from Kalispell, Montana to Nanaimo this march for a family reunion and I was hopping to do some railfanning along the way as i don't get out as much as I would like and i have a few questions. How often do trains run on the E&N/SRYVI. From reviewing past posts it looks like they haul for only a few customers ie. natioal silicate and superior propane. does the railbarge come in only 2 twice a week the only reference i could find of it coming in is for sunday and thursday morning, early. Is there more? And how much does the bud car cost to go down to victoria and back i hear it's a beautiful trip? and how large is the average consist on a train is it just a few cars.
ps. i really like the picture i saw of one of the engines in a snow fall running down the track with a chainsaw sitting up front.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #72 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 10:49am »

on Feb 16th, 2007, 4:40am, theboilerflue wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey there, I'm coming up from Kalispell, Montana to Nanaimo this march for a family reunion and I was hopping to do some railfanning along the way as i don't get out as much as I would like and i have a few questions. How often do trains run on the E&N/SRYVI. From reviewing past posts it looks like they haul for only a few customers ie. natioal silicate and superior propane. does the railbarge come in only 2 twice a week the only reference i could find of it coming in is for sunday and thursday morning, early. Is there more? And how much does the bud car cost to go down to victoria and back i hear it's a beautiful trip? and how large is the average consist on a train is it just a few cars.
ps. i really like the picture i saw of one of the engines in a snow fall running down the track with a chainsaw sitting up front.

Barge day is Monday morning.  Freight operations are strictly a Monday to Friday daytime operation

mike_enr
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #73 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 12:14pm »

on Feb 16th, 2007, 4:40am, theboilerflue wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The Budd car to Victoria from Nanaimo is $15 one-way, but would necessitate you spending the night in Victoria, as it goes down that way in the afternoon and towards Nanaimo in the morning. If you wanted a day trip, you could go north to Courtenay, which is also $15 one-way from Nanaimo. The scenery is a bit better towards Victoria, though.

You can check the fares & schedule here: http://www.viarail.ca

Mike
missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #74 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 2:05pm »

Whatever you do, don't miss out on a ride on the Budd car(s)...trip back in time!

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #75 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 12:12am »

I highly recommend the Via Malahat trip before it changes, or is discontinued. I would plan on taking the trip between Victoria and Nanaimo.....you will not regret it for one second. It isn't that long a journey to have some kind soul drive you down-island from Nanaimo to catch the train back north from Victoria if you/they don't mind early starts. It leaves later on Sundays.

The rails run parallel to the highway, off and on, all along the right of way so if there is a freight train running, you can usually catch a glimpse at some point. You have to detour towards the water along secondary roads for some of the more scenic tracks between the last customer in Duncan (Top Shelf Feeds), and the yard in Nanaimo.

My success railfanning freight trains on Vancouver Island has been more a matter of luck. The Budd Cars, and the logging railway on northern Vancouver Island have proven easier targets for me  

Most good maps of the island have the track on it.

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2007, 12:14am by Cody » Logged
theboilerflue
TRAINing

« Reply #76 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 4:10am »

Thanks so much for the info it'll be very helpful I imagine. SO this rail barge is just a one-time-a-week thing - they unload on Monday and load it all back up during the week and haul back to Vancouver or does it harbor in Vancouver? How many cars does it hold?  There must be two or three separate tracks on the deck then? When does it unload - 7am?

virailfan

« Reply #77 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 5:23am »

on Feb 17th, 2007, 4:10am, theboilerflue wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks so much for the info it'll be very helpful I imagine. SO this rail barge is just a one-time-a-week thing - they unload on Monday and load it all back up during the week and haul back to Vancouver or does it harbor in Vancouver? How many cars does it hold?  There must be two or three separate tracks on the deck then? When does it unload - 7am?

The current schedule shows arrive Nanaimo at 0630h and depart at 0800h on Mondays, but others closer to there will know if this is near the actual times.
http://www.coastalintermodal.com/schedule.htm
Note the "*" for the only sailing with railcars.

The ship is the Carrier Princess, and can hold up to 22 cars, accoring to Coastal Intermodal's website at:
http://www.coastalintermodal.com/fleet.htm

I think the ship is 4 tracks, but I am not certain of this. If you view the images that pass at the top of the following webpage, then you will see an image of the Carrier Princess with 2 tracks of railcars, flanked by a row each of highway trailers, though I don't know if that is common practice anymore.
http://www.washingtonmarinegroup.com

The largest image I can find on the web of this ship is at:
http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/scripts/large.php?Lang=1&accessnumber=27-1298A  
This image shows it passing under the Lion's Gate bridge, which no longer occurs. Now, the docks on the Vancouver side are at Tilbury.

You can find the Tilbury docks on Google Earth, or any other mapping program at  49 8'38.60"N 123 2'0.10"W. Google Earth shows the Carrier Princess docked there at the rail docks, and some of their other ships and barges nearby.

As for where the Carrier Princess overnights, it is based at the Tilbury docks mentinoed above, however, if you look at the schedule linked, you will find that it makes 2 runs per week to Swartz Bay (north of Victoria), and that one of these is overnight. These runs, of course, are for highway trailers, not for railcars. The run to Nanaimo and back for railcar traffic is actual done in this ship's downtime from its usual run.

virailfan

« Reply #78 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 5:30am »

Sorry. One minor correction to my last post.

The current Google Earth image shows the Carrier Princess docked at the trailer only dock to the west of the railcar and trailer dock. The ship at the railcar dock is the Princess Superior, I believe.

CroftonSpur88
Historian
  Picture_011-2.jpg - 85521 Bytes
« Reply #79 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 6:22pm »

An old empty grain hopper on the mainline awaits a drag back north from Rudolf and Thomas as they back full hoppers into the feed mill...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Picture_011-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

"the rails are somewhere under those weeds"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »