Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 5:35am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rolling stock seen on the E&N
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rolling stock seen on the E&N
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rolling stock seen on the E&N  (Read 8175 times)
Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rolling stock seen on the E&N

« Reply #100 on: May 14th, 2007, 9:30pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

if anyoen wants to check for that centerbeam,  the balast cars it was apparently attached to are on one of the tracks closest to the back , so go over the trestle that crosses the yard , turn right at the bottom of the hill and follow it to the end by the sawmill ... you can stop there and not be bothered and if it is there you should be able to see it (i havent , but i didnt check from that side)

torch
Historian

« Reply #101 on: May 14th, 2007, 10:06pm »

well the  exciting thing about it  is  that it  would not be on the island  unless it  was going to be loading lumber.. so we  know that much!  where can you guys think of  that would be doing a lumber load? team track in courtenay? coastland mill ,nanaimo? team track/siding in langford? SOMEBODY is going to be loading that sucker and I only hope one of you guys on the island manage to see it  and  perhaps fotograph it.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #102 on: May 14th, 2007, 10:54pm »

Gotta agree with Moka. Somethings going on here. First, a Tank of either Kaolin clay or calcium carbonate (used in kraft paper), now an empty centerbeam flat arrives. Are these things just small one-time things or a sign of something to come?

95XXX, can you give some insight? You usually have the inside scoop.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #103 on: May 15th, 2007, 1:10am »

on May 14th, 2007, 10:06pm, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
well the  exciting thing about it  is  that it  would not be on the island  unless it  was going to be loading lumber.. so we  know that much!  where can you guys think of  that would be doing a lumber load? team track in courtenay? coastland mill ,nanaimo? team track/siding in langford? SOMEBODY is going to be loading that sucker and I only hope one of you guys on the island manage to see it  and  perhaps fotograph it.

Betcha it goes to Malahat - I remember discussion of a small sawmill near there that might be shipping by rail

torch
Historian

« Reply #104 on: May 15th, 2007, 1:38am »

thats  what im kinda counting on too.  hey hey...its all that much closer to getting an actual boxcar on the island again! been a long time since that happened! once I see some more centerbeams or boxcars then things  will feel even more 'official' to me.  exciting times.

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #105 on: May 15th, 2007, 5:34am »

I was thinking that southern may have bought the center beam for service hauling ties, with all the talk about the condition of the rail, thats why they coupled it to the ballast cars . I do hope I am wrong though and it is for lumber haulage.I still think once southern has a new long term contract with ICF this June the line will just keep getting busier.

torch
Historian

« Reply #106 on: May 15th, 2007, 6:27am »

you may be right about the ties  BUT... as  Ive  been seeing, they usually come in by truck and I dont think theyve loaded them on a flatcar of that desciption yet  during the tie replacements this year... Ive seen ties stacked in gons, and on regular bulkhead flats..i havent seen ties around the lower mainland or the island ever on a centerbeam but  i suppose it could happen.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #107 on: May 15th, 2007, 5:17pm »

on May 15th, 2007, 6:27am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
you may be right about the ties  BUT... as  Ive  been seeing, they usually come in by truck and I dont think theyve loaded them on a flatcar of that desciption yet  during the tie replacements this year... Ive seen ties stacked in gons, and on regular bulkhead flats..i havent seen ties around the lower mainland or the island ever on a centerbeam but  i suppose it could happen.

I've seen Centrebeams loaded with ties at Thornton just recently, I think they were going to Lynn Creek.

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2007, 5:19pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CLC Fan

View Profile  

IMG_3525.jpg - 172108 Bytes
« Reply #108 on: May 15th, 2007, 5:48pm »

on May 14th, 2007, 8:09pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Does anyone know what became of the centerbeam car some of you guys saw at Wellcox?

It's still there as of this afternoon.  Someone mentioned Coastland shipping by rail..?  By chance about 2 weeks ago I had a chat with someone higher up who works there and he said they weren't going to be shipping by rail anytime.  No negative feelings about it but he said that it doesn't meet their needs.  Who knows down the road..??

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_3525.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CLC Fan

View Profile  

IMG_3539.jpg - 161738 Bytes
« Reply #109 on: May 15th, 2007, 5:58pm »

Had to check out a bad order dropped off on the cement unloading track.  They dug out a section between the ties to help unload the contents of the car.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_3539.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CLC Fan

View Profile  

IMG_3541.jpg - 133966 Bytes
« Reply #110 on: May 15th, 2007, 6:00pm »

I went up to it to check the bad order tag and it mentioned a thin flange.  Looked below it and sure enough, there it was.... the picture may not show it very well but that flange was almost paper thin!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_3541.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #111 on: May 15th, 2007, 8:52pm »

Great pictures, all you've posted today CLC Fan. I'm surprised that nobody caught that thin flange earlier. Good catch by the SVI crew.

Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #112 on: May 15th, 2007, 9:00pm »

i think it was previously stated, but the important thing is that the Centerbeam came over empty.... they dont bring cars over for fun.. so it is going somewhere .. and probably not north to courtaney (unless they run it up friday?)  

Anyone up in courtaney should check to see if they moved the 5 loaded cars back to the station to make room for the other 5 they brought up today ...  im interested to see if they bring down all 10 on friday... that would be a sight to see

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #113 on: May 15th, 2007, 11:40pm »

Funny, wasn't it only a couple years ago that CPR and RailAmerica were saying rail on Vancouver Island was no longer viable? Interesting what a good railroad like SVI/SRY can do with a railway like the E&N.  

Good to see this little railway coming back to life. Now if only they'd start hiring, I don't know how much longer I can stand it at CN LOL.

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2007, 11:42pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #114 on: May 15th, 2007, 11:57pm »

on May 15th, 2007, 5:51pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
While there today, these four tankers came off the barge monday.  Not sure what they contain as there are absolutely no placards on them, and I did something I would never do normally and that was walk entirely around them incase they were posted on the other side.  But stencilled on the sides are instructions to slowly heat the internal coils when connecting the steam lines to thin out the liquid contents prior to unloading.

I wonder if this is more of the vegetable oil / biodiesel for Columbia Fuels? Was there a similar stencil on the last load of that stuff?

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #115 on: May 16th, 2007, 2:10am »

I have it on "good authority" that the centrebeam is for loads of crunchy peanut butter bars, made from the bio-diesel. .

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #116 on: May 16th, 2007, 2:16am »

on May 15th, 2007, 11:57pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I wonder if this is more of the vegetable oil / biodiesel for Columbia Fuels? Was there a similar stencil on the last load of that stuff?

it has been suggested it might be the weed killer too  , right now the way the E&N is.. its anyone's guess  

torch
Historian

« Reply #117 on: May 16th, 2007, 2:16am »

is it just me or  does the centerbeam appear to be on  on of the tracks for movements back to the mainland? guess nobody saw it  when it  came in off the barge? but ya, I cant  see them bring over cars for  no reason and like i mentioned before.. all the ties I saw come over last sumer arrived by truck...  so lets keep and eye on this and see what happens..  you know I wouldnt be surprised if there may soon be  a need for more than one  rail barge movement per week..  maybe its  already happening. I  recall when cp was still alive and kicking on the island, there  was  always  barges coming in with mixed loads...both  trucks  AND trains.  I wonder how sry is making out  with negotiating running rights on the tilbury spur to access the  slip.

Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #118 on: May 16th, 2007, 2:43am »

i dont think thats an outbound track , the MOW stuff has been sitting there for quite a while ... i just find it odd that they stuffed it back there

i drove past the yard, and over to the back to see what was up last saturday and there was no centerbeam..  it didnt come over the preceeding 2 mondays otherwise i would have seen it, my best guess is that it came over monday this week.

torch
Historian

« Reply #119 on: May 16th, 2007, 3:24am »

someone on this  board saw it  in the yard on saturday  and said also that srvi  was moving stuff around in the  yard that day.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »