Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 23rd, 2018, 9:09pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Vancouver Island Model Railways
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Vancouver Island Model Railways
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Vancouver Island Model Railways  (Read 14634 times)
MinionII
Historian
Re: Vancouver Island Model Railways

« Reply #300 on: Aug 9th, 2017, 4:59pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Aug 3rd, 2017, 10:00pm, churlish wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I have no idea how to stumble across it! I'll see about adding it to dreams and designs. I'm not up to speed on their structure either.

It looks like the blog area functions the same as the discussion forums, you just click on blogs instead of discussion forums. And if you click on recent posts, it displays both blog posts and forum posts. All good!

I'm looking forward to seeing more!

churlish
TRAINing
View Profile  

Albion_shed_01.jpg - 362348 Bytes
« Reply #301 on: Sep 17th, 2017, 12:49am »

A photo of my scratchbuilt Albion shed model for my Store Street switching layout. It's not exact but I think it captures the feel.  
There's more here: http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/30619

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (362348 bytes, 1200x675 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Albion_shed_01.jpg - 362348 Bytes

CroftonSpur88
Historian

« Reply #302 on: Sep 18th, 2017, 8:34pm »

That's a beauty!

"the rails are somewhere under those weeds"
Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #303 on: Oct 21st, 2017, 2:33pm »

on Sep 17th, 2017, 12:49am, churlish wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A photo of my scratchbuilt Albion shed model for my Store Street switching layout. It's not exact but I think it captures the feel.  
There's more here: http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/30619
Nice work.  

Never known for Political Correctness
& far from a tag words cut and paste artist.
Port Alberni or Thereabouts.
churlish
TRAINing
View Profile  

Capital_Iron_fronts_01.jpg - 136944 Bytes
« Reply #304 on: Oct 25th, 2017, 12:53am »

Thanks!

I've been working on a model of Capital Iron and wanted to share my progress.

There's more here if you're interested: http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/30619

Best,
Karl

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Capital_Iron_fronts_01.jpg
Click Image to Resize

churlish
TRAINing
View Profile  

HO_Capital_Iron_01.jpg - 301174 Bytes
« Reply #305 on: Dec 14th, 2017, 8:17pm »

Updated picture of my HO scale model of Capital Iron now that I have finished primary painting and assembly. It's neither an exact scale model (I estimated the dimensions from photos) nor does it likely correspond exactly to the appearance in any one era as I somewhat split the difference between the fairly plain appearance during my era (1940's) and its showier present day appearance. Regardless, I'm really happy with it!

Thanks for reading!
Karl

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (301174 bytes, 1000x562 pixels)

Click Here to View Image HO_Capital_Iron_01.jpg - 301174 Bytes

vanislrailway
Railfan

« Reply #306 on: Dec 15th, 2017, 11:37am »

That is awesome, I love it. So the 3d files you have created, would you ever share them?

I am interested in learning and preserving the history of the railway on Vancouver Island. With a lot of the History taken away we must work hard to insure our kids have the ability to watch and ride the rails we have left and enjoy seeing so much.
churlish
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #307 on: Dec 26th, 2017, 3:05am »

on Dec 15th, 2017, 11:37am, vanislrailway wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That is awesome, I love it. So the 3d files you have created, would you ever share them?

Hi vanislrailway, I would be happy to share the source file for my Capital Iron model with you and anyone else on this forum interested in it. This forum led me to this fantastic prototype and I have learned so much from the people here who have generously shared their photos and knowledge; I am happy to contribute back to this community of like-minded enthusiasts who created a 10-page thread on this short stretch of charismatic industrial trackage.

Details:  
If you are interested in these files, please send me a private message via the forum (please include an email address where you would like the files sent). I will share the files under a Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/), which basically says you are free to use, share, and modify the file for non-commercial purposes if you give me credit. The files are a .SKP file (for viewing and modification in SketchUp, a free 3D CAD program) and a .DAE file, which is an export version of the CAD model for 3D printing (I used Shapeways but I'm sure there are other options). The files are very much "as is": the building front is a fairly robust 3D CAD model but the side walls 3D print well but may be difficult to modify in Sketchup without some substantial re-drawing. Note that the stonework at the bottom of the side walls is not 3D printed (and not in the files) but is a "small mixed cut interlocking stone" wall from Monster Model Works; similarly, the windows on the building sides are from Tichy. Everything requires fiddly painting.

« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2018, 9:59pm by churlish » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »