Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 5:32am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Vancouver Island Model Railways
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Vancouver Island Model Railways
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Vancouver Island Model Railways  (Read 13933 times)
railpuck
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: Vancouver Island Model Railways

« Reply #240 on: Sep 25th, 2011, 3:53am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Today Sunday Sept 25, is the Victoria Model Train Show at the Cedar Hill Rec Center,in Sannich, from 10am to 4pm, Vancouver Island's Biggest Model Train Show.

cycledude
Railfan

« Reply #241 on: Sep 25th, 2011, 1:32pm »

on Jul 25th, 2011, 11:48pm, joncalon wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Was suggested to me that I post another note regarding progress on my E&N layout and the fact I've been doing a fair amount of construction and updates to my blog.  The blog has been thoroughly overhauled and published using WordPress.

Feel free to check out the progress and update your bookmarks (you do have my site bookmarked, yes?  

http://www.calon.ca/Wordpress/

Cheers!
Jon

Hi Jon,
Thanks for publishing photos of your progress on the new setup. You certainly do nice work. It looks well constructed. Also, congrats on using Wordpress -- it's not the easiest online software to figure out but it does a good job. I have Wordpress thru my iPage host but haven't figured it out yet. Thanks again for your posts.

SRY 110
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #242 on: Sep 30th, 2011, 2:26pm »

I live in Qualicum beach and was wondering if there were any local model railway groups/forums etc. here or not or at least near me. Iam back into HO scale model railroading in a big way on my small layout. Let me know, and also if there is anyone local who can install DCC/Sound boards into models...

More focus on the positive...less on the negative..
joncalon
Historian

« Reply #243 on: Oct 9th, 2011, 10:28pm »

on Sep 25th, 2011, 1:32pm, cycledude wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hi Jon,
Thanks for publishing photos of your progress on the new setup. You certainly do nice work. It looks well constructed. Also, congrats on using Wordpress -- it's not the easiest online software to figure out but it does a good job. I have Wordpress thru my iPage host but haven't figured it out yet. Thanks again for your posts.

I've done web development in my past and while I'm now quite rusty at it, can still figure my way through all the stuff needed to setup my own Wordpress site as well as wrangling my way through the CSS file to get the formatting done.  I'm not entirely happy with it, but it sure beats the hell out of doing it the old way.  Truth be told, all the photos and most of the posts are actually generated from my iPhone!

Also, I cannot take full credit for a lot of the layout construction.  Yes, I do help considerably, but Cam has done the majority of the fiddly bits and a lot of the track laying.  I just happen to be the financier and chief bottle washer...  and the electrician.  Most of the electric type stuff as well as the guy who builds all the turnouts and bullfrog switch "machines"...

As of today, I now have a small yard and three or four industry tracks laid and connected.  Once wired up, I could actually have a simple ops session.  

Jon

vanislrailway
Railfan

« Reply #244 on: Oct 12th, 2011, 11:40pm »

I just found out this weekend is the free weekend on model railroad .com for all of there normal pay to access site items.  This is great for people like me who need winter projects like me for g-scale or need plan ideas.  and no I dont work for them I just think this is a great time to grab resource ideas.  

I am interested in learning and preserving the history of the railway on Vancouver Island. With a lot of the History taken away we must work hard to insure our kids have the ability to watch and ride the rails we have left and enjoy seeing so much.
bigcreekcowboy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #245 on: Dec 4th, 2011, 4:52pm »

Hello all
 My Ho layout is not based on the Island. But I figured its close enough to share on here. Following the CPR surveyed route from Victoria up the island to Butte inlet, up the Homathko river to Tatla Lake, before crossing the Chilcotin plateau and on to Jasper. But following the story of so many railways in BC. The twenties were hard and construction stopped with only the Butte Inlet to Tatla Lake section built. The Coast Chilcotin Railway survives by hauling lumber products, Livestock, copper-gold ore to tide water. Fuel and other supplies are hauled in to the interior. Butte Inlet has barge connections with the PGE, E&N and the CPR in Vancouver.  

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151022784355515.770606.903820514&type=1&l=544b8f8f58

Piglet
Historian

« Reply #246 on: Jan 25th, 2012, 11:51am »

Its interesting you picked a similar idea for your layout to mine.  Love the pictures.  Thank you for the pictures.

A point some might find interesting.  I was looking in the Feb 2012 RMC and Rapido has an add for an engine coming in 2013.......the picture is the front of a GMD1.  The fun of having a canadian producer now.

we learn from the past
SRY1202
Railfan

« Reply #247 on: Jan 25th, 2012, 6:04pm »

on Jan 25th, 2012, 11:51am, Piglet wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Its interesting you picked a similar idea for your layout to mine.  Love the pictures.  Thank you for the pictures.

A point some might find interesting.  I was looking in the Feb 2012 RMC and Rapido has an add for an engine coming in 2013.......the picture is the front of a GMD1.  The fun of having a canadian producer now.

Rapido announced that they would be producing GMD1's through a youtube video.

http://youtu.be/a7jnQU2zetI

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2012, 6:05pm by SRY1202 » Logged
bigcreekcowboy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #248 on: Jan 30th, 2012, 3:52pm »

A video, let me know if it works

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151237721860515

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #249 on: Jan 30th, 2012, 4:15pm »

on Jan 30th, 2012, 3:52pm, bigcreekcowboy wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yeah, it worked, though I think my wife's FB was signed in.

One of those boxcars looks like it's got a good lean to it.  

bigcreekcowboy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #250 on: Jan 30th, 2012, 4:31pm »

and the car that derails on the switch  

thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #251 on: Jan 30th, 2012, 6:31pm »

on Jan 30th, 2012, 3:52pm, bigcreekcowboy wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Nope .... put it on youtube .... I am a crusty old fart who refuses to join facebook or any other such "social" media site.

Thanks
Will

Piglet
Historian

« Reply #252 on: Feb 9th, 2012, 2:00pm »

Just got an email from Rapido trains.  They are doing all 5 versions (their words) of the GMD-1.  That is good for anyone who has the old CN lines on their modeling.  They are also for what its worth doing the NAR engine as well.

we learn from the past
bigcreekcowboy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #253 on: Feb 27th, 2012, 5:26pm »

Ok, think I got you tube figured out.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j8S07h6ykE

KVR3005
Former Member
Re: Post your Model or Virtual E&N Photos

« Reply #254 on: Apr 10th, 2012, 8:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Very impressive, you model the E&N very well.on May 8th, 2007, 2:59am, CroftonSpur88 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Southbound 52 passes the Esquimalt siding on a humid June evening.The bulkhead flat has been unloaded of its bricks that were orered by Slegg Lumber. The Northbound frieght (#51) will pick it up the following morning on the way back to Nanaimo...

KVR3005
Former Member
Re: Post your Model or Virtual E&N Photos

« Reply #255 on: Apr 11th, 2012, 7:20pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I like 2099 on Apr 11th, 2007, 5:37pm, blackdog wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Rail America. Shame you guys don't seem to like 2099. It was everywhere when we were over in 2000. This is a Proto2000 model with the exhaust stacks modified.

wx732
Railfan

« Reply #256 on: Apr 15th, 2012, 10:16am »

I hadn't seen anything here, today is the Nanaimo train show @ Beban park, 10-4 pm.  Not sure if we are attending, seems less than likely because I have a bunch to do around here  

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #257 on: Apr 27th, 2012, 1:26pm »

Having finally decided to set my N scale version of the E&N in 1979, I need to rethink some of my operating patterns from earlier in the decade.  Does anyone know if the UP barge slip and the CP Transport freight house were still receiving rail cars in 1979?

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

ENRStaging.jpg - 38136 Bytes
« Reply #258 on: Jul 17th, 2012, 12:36am »

I have recently torn apart my tri-level E&N plan that I posted a while and started redoing it. My problem is I will likely move again in another five years and I don't want to have scrap another layout. I have therefore come up with a radical plan to make the first modular multi-level plan. The track plan is the same with a new staging level to allow continuous running. I have compressed the plan with 2 1/2 knocked off all sides to allow 2~2 framing to be built into the backside of the benchwork along with 1/2 plywood gussets and a 1/2" plywood backdrop which allows the benchwork to interlock without movement. The layout will require no walls for structural support and will be freestanding meaning I can take it apart set it up anywhere we move. It also allows me to build the layout in stages starting with the new staging level and the Port Alberni level. I can add the remaining levels as time permits. The goal is to get a train running. The first phase allows for point to point operation with twenty car trains. It also has a built in drop leaf off the Port Alberni Wye for continuous running.   The layout of the Port Alberni trackage is mostly prototypical with half the yard represented. A mirror will make the yard look larger and double ended like the prototype. I am planning on starting construction this fall on the section in this cut away 3D diagram. The Port Alberni level trackage is in red and the staging level in blue.

Chris

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/ENRStaging.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2012, 1:25am by ENR3005 » Logged
cvrrr
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #259 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 12:28am »

Just to let everyone know that this years model train show here in Victoria has been cancelled due to money problems . The info is from Ted Alexis who is one of the organizers of the show. cvrrr

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »