Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 11:39am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Vancouver Island Model Railways
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Vancouver Island Model Railways
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Vancouver Island Model Railways  (Read 14460 times)
ENRFAN
Historian
Re: Vancouver Island Model Railways

« Reply #220 on: Oct 5th, 2010, 9:26am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Cool thanks for the info TFCtrains. Thats crazy to think because they would have had to drive the old island highway. So did they do this untill the pulp mill in Goldriver shutdown?

tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #221 on: Oct 6th, 2010, 3:09am »

on Oct 5th, 2010, 9:26am, ENRFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Cool thanks for the info TFCtrains. Thats crazy to think because they would have had to drive the old island highway. So did they do this untill the pulp mill in Goldriver shutdown?

I think it ended before the pulp mill shut down, the mill may have switched to a different product or they come up with a different way of getting the product to Gold River. Gold River provided a lot of traffic for the E&N, I am told that the houses that were built in Gold River were prefab, they all came by train providing some interesting switching in the Courtenay yard, I am told some some trains were 50 to 60 cars. It was a time when I was interested in cars,girls and that stuff that came in little brown bottles, did not pay to much attention to the E&N at that time.

« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2010, 3:10am by tfctrains » Logged
joncalon
Historian

« Reply #222 on: Oct 11th, 2010, 5:09pm »

Hey all,

Finally got around to getting my website started, regarding the layout I'm planning to build.

Take a look at it and let me know what you think.

http://www.calon.ca/EN1988/

Cheers,
Jon

Piglet
Historian

« Reply #223 on: Oct 11th, 2010, 9:59pm »

That is a nice start there Jon.  It is the season to get back in the basement for those of us in cooler  climates.  I moved my stock of kits and supplies out of the storage room (electrical up grade shortly).  I haven't counted all of the engines but I did find about 5 DRS 4-4-1000's (not all finished by any means) I built years ago before they were (or close to them) available.  Have to keep your layout in mind although mine is only going to two levels, that and yours would be at the south end of mine as mine runs over the old serveys on the northern end of the island.  Keep up the good work.

we learn from the past
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

HO_ENR_Level3.jpg - 113527 Bytes
« Reply #224 on: Oct 12th, 2010, 1:40am »

It seems I have been bitten by the modeling railroading bug in recent months. I have come up with several layout plans including a new tripple deck layout with a helix instead of the original continuous climb which I had used allowing realistic grades. By using the a helix I have been able to work in all the goals I set ut to incorporate into this layout except Wellcox yard which is just too large to model in the space I have availabe so it will be represented by staging. I have been able to work in every industry between Stockett and Port Alberni for 1988 along with many important landmarks along the two subdivisions. The base level is at 31", middle at 46" and top at 62." I am actually taking a serious look at building this layout as I have collected all the materials, power and rolling stock needed over the last decade. I will post the other two levels in the near future as I have not finished editing them yet to the level of this plan.

Chris

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/HO_ENR_Level3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #225 on: Oct 14th, 2010, 12:22am »

on Oct 12th, 2010, 1:40am, ENR3005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It seems I have been bitten by the modeling railroading bug in recent months. I have come up with several layout plans including a new tripple deck layout with a helix instead of the original continuous climb which I had used allowing realistic grades. By using the a helix I have been able to work in all the goals I set ut to incorporate into this layout except Wellcox yard which is just too large to model in the space I have availabe so it will be represented by staging. I have been able to work in every industry between Stockett and Port Alberni for 1988 along with many important landmarks along the two subdivisions. The base level is at 31", middle at 46" and top at 62." I am actually taking a serious look at building this layout as I have collected all the materials, power and rolling stock needed over the last decade. I will post the other two levels in the near future as I have not finished editing them yet to the level of this plan.

Chris  

What scale please?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

All_Levels.jpg - 67993 Bytes
« Reply #226 on: Oct 14th, 2010, 9:52pm »

on Oct 14th, 2010, 12:22am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

What scale please?

It is HO as noted on the plan however taking a second look the print might be a bit small to read. Here is what it looks like with all the levels together. I will have the track plan for the middle level up soon.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/All_Levels.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

HO_ENR_Level2.jpg - 114848 Bytes
« Reply #227 on: Oct 15th, 2010, 1:58am »

So here is the middle level. Given the space available I chose to only do the eastern portion of the Parksville Junction with a larger more useable yard for the Parksville turn. I did do a version with a condensed version of both ends of the yard but I felt it would be too unrealistic with short sidings and scrapped it after much reviewing. One problem with multi decks is that you lose vertical scenery which is why I have chosen the pile treste and Arrowsmith siding for the first section of the Port Sub. Incorporating vertical scenery into the base level such as the MP25.0 trestle was much easier. I would have loved to have one or two of the Cameron Lake trestles however it is not feasible with these type of stacked layouts. The rest of the Victoria sub on towards Nanaimo is straight forward with the appropriate industries on that section of the line. The layout is designed for two or three operators with a Nanaimo Turn, Parksville Turn and Port Alberni freight. There will of course be the dayliner also. I should have the last level plan uploaded in the next few days.  

Chris

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/HO_ENR_Level2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2010, 2:00am by ENR3005 » Logged
wx732
Railfan

« Reply #228 on: Oct 15th, 2010, 10:57am »

Nevermind, wouldn't work when I looked at the plans (doh!)

how about the spiral continuing though, or is that already planned?  Make the spiral from just above floor height to as tall as practial, to afford 1-2 more trains storage.  Especially if you go down below the lower level, you should be able to do 2 tracks side by each.  Only issue I see with that is the layout is end to end with no reversing, so hard to send extra trains up/down without them being visible.  Because Port Sub never hardly ever saw RDC's, it is a bit more tricky.  The fun of comprimise...

I'm always up to visiting or hosting modellers, even if Black Dog would appreciate my home layout more than most of you...it being uk.  (or Lego...).  My OO scale (16.5mm gauge, 4mm scale) layout is "level", single level conventional layout.  The Lego goes from ~24"-60" via a 5 layer spiral, but Lego is severely limited by the single curve radius & O-27ish size of it.

if any of you are going to use DCC and computer control, feel free to ask me for advice- I've been mucking with it for ~5 years now.  Occasoinally, I can even manage to NOT have trains crash into one another !  As designed, the OO layout can have up to 6 trains running at the same time, with 2 on the visual portion.  Right now, it is capable of as many as the Port Sub.  (0!)

James

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2010, 11:23am by wx732 » Logged
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #229 on: Oct 16th, 2010, 3:32pm »

It does work if I throw in some curved turnouts off the helix. It allows staging under the Port Alberni level. I am still drawing a plan and will have it up in the near future.  

on Oct 15th, 2010, 10:57am, wx732 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Nevermind, wouldn't work when I looked at the plans (doh!)

how about the spiral continuing though, or is that already planned?  Make the spiral from just above floor height to as tall as practial, to afford 1-2 more trains storage.  Especially if you go down below the lower level, you should be able to do 2 tracks side by each.  Only issue I see with that is the layout is end to end with no reversing, so hard to send extra trains up/down without them being visible.  Because Port Sub never hardly ever saw RDC's, it is a bit more tricky.  The fun of comprimise...

I'm always up to visiting or hosting modellers, even if Black Dog would appreciate my home layout more than most of you...it being uk.  (or Lego...).  My OO scale (16.5mm gauge, 4mm scale) layout is "level", single level conventional layout.  The Lego goes from ~24"-60" via a 5 layer spiral, but Lego is severely limited by the single curve radius & O-27ish size of it.

if any of you are going to use DCC and computer control, feel free to ask me for advice- I've been mucking with it for ~5 years now.  Occasoinally, I can even manage to NOT have trains crash into one another !  As designed, the OO layout can have up to 6 trains running at the same time, with 2 on the visual portion.  Right now, it is capable of as many as the Port Sub.  (0!)

James

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2010, 3:32pm by ENR3005 » Logged
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #230 on: Oct 16th, 2010, 3:36pm »

on Oct 16th, 2010, 2:51pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
ENR3005-->  I like it!!  Except you need to roll back the calendar a few decades and go Baldwin.    Just kidding.. that looks really good!

Actually I have set it the layout in the 80s as not much had changed from the 70s when the Baldwins were being used. I even recently grabbed a Proto CP Rail RDC1 just in case I get serious about building this layout as I intend on having some baldwins operating sessions. I just have to build a few.

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2010, 3:40pm by ENR3005 » Logged
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

HO_ENR_Level1.jpg - 114995 Bytes
« Reply #231 on: Oct 16th, 2010, 4:00pm »

So here is the top level. I am still working on a staging level under Port Alberni however I am not happy with my plans so far but will have it up when I am done

Some facts on the layout.  

Time: 1988  
-Length of mainline 232'6" or 3.83 scale miles!
-Maximum grade 1.9% visible, 2.8% staging
-Minimum mainline radius 22", mostly made up of 24" and larger curves where possible
-Maximum train length into Port Alberni 25 50 foot cars (is determined by longest siding)
-Up to 4 operators, Nanaimo Switcher, Parksville Turn, Port Alberni Turn, Macmillian Bloedel yard switcher, there is also the dayliner which could be added as a fifth  
-track is code 70 (100 pound rail)
-turnouts are No 6 and No 4s

As of today I have negotiated with my wife for the little bit of storage space she used in my layout room so I am now that much closer to building this mini monster.  

Chris

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/HO_ENR_Level1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2010, 4:01pm by ENR3005 » Logged
vicguy
Historian

« Reply #232 on: Oct 16th, 2010, 6:25pm »

hey ENR3005 that's going to be great when its finished! Are we all invited over when it's done?  

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
Piglet
Historian

« Reply #233 on: Oct 16th, 2010, 7:14pm »

Curved turnouts aren't that hard to build thankfully so you can just make them for yourself to the size you need on the helix.  Keep us up to speed on how its going.

we learn from the past
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #234 on: Oct 17th, 2010, 12:51pm »

on Oct 16th, 2010, 6:25pm, vicguy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
hey ENR3005 that's going to be great when its finished! Are we all invited over when it's done?  

Hey that works for me, I even have a small bar fridge that I plan on installing below the layout for anyone that wants a cold one when they drop by. When I get the layout operational I do plan on hosting some operating sessions to see how things work out. Hopefully by some point in the spring things will be operational and a few of you will be over checking things out.

Chris

ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #235 on: Oct 17th, 2010, 1:24pm »

NICE thats pretty awsome. Lots of industries to switch. Good work.

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #236 on: Oct 17th, 2010, 2:05pm »

Yo Chris; Have been doing that for years. Started when I noticed the spare refrigerator behind the layout in my garage. Then I was able to align the tracks so that I could drink a tall cool one while the trains, three, ran around. Then the spare phone would ring, and I would be on the phone, trains running and I was sipping a tall cool one. Life was good. If I kept the speed of the trains reasonable, I could watch the trains etc. for hours. Try it, you will like it. That is, until the wife finds out what you are doing.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

SNCR_Final.jpg - 134013 Bytes
« Reply #237 on: Jun 18th, 2011, 3:47pm »

Well it seems the best plans fall apart just when work is to start. After collecting all the materials to build the triple deck layout above and finishing my layout room, things change on the career front for both my wife and I and it looks like we will be moving again within the next five years or less. As a result I have had to re-think my layout plan and come up with something which could be completed within a shorter time frame if I am going to stick around in the hobby for the time being.  

As a result I came up with the following single deck freelanced plan which is based on the E&N. The plan is based on a fictional isolated 25 mile line on the Sunshine Coast connecting Langdale and Sechelt and is run as a seperate division of the E&N. Most sources of traffic are similar to the E&N as you will note in the plan. VIA also has a smaller role on the line running a single RDC twice a day to connect with BC Ferries  at Langdale.  

Not exactly what I wanted to build however it will fit the bill till I have the time and space to build the E&N layout I want.  

Chris

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/SNCR_Final.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2011, 1:11am by ENR3005 » Logged
bigcreekcowboy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #238 on: Jun 18th, 2011, 7:07pm »

I love the idea. Looks like a lot of layout for a 10X12 area. Makes me want to rethink the layout for my PGE/E&N based layout.

joncalon
Historian

« Reply #239 on: Jul 25th, 2011, 11:48pm »

Was suggested to me that I post another note regarding progress on my E&N layout and the fact I've been doing a fair amount of construction and updates to my blog.  The blog has been thoroughly overhauled and published using WordPress.

Feel free to check out the progress and update your bookmarks (you do have my site bookmarked, yes?  

http://www.calon.ca/Wordpress/

Cheers!
Jon

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »