Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 24th, 2017, 11:04pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Vancouver Island Model Railways
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Vancouver Island Model Railways
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Vancouver Island Model Railways  (Read 14043 times)
cn2141
Enthusiast
Re: Vancouver Island Model Railways
  IMGP0063.jpg - 116713 Bytes
« Reply #200 on: Oct 31st, 2009, 1:03am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

picture no 2

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMGP0063.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cn2141
Enthusiast
  IMGP0064.jpg - 111619 Bytes
« Reply #201 on: Oct 31st, 2009, 1:04am »

And picture no 3

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMGP0064.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Mill_Bay
Enthusiast

« Reply #202 on: Jan 16th, 2010, 10:46pm »

Hopefully this is something new... does anyone remember the rather sizeable N Scale layout that used to be in a, or the, hobby shop in Campbell River? I remember seeing it one, long ago, when we passed through Campbell River on a sailing trip, and I was quite enthralled with it. It's always stuck with me, so I was just wondering if anyone else remembers it, and if it is maybe still there.

joncalon
Historian

« Reply #203 on: May 3rd, 2010, 10:10am »

Hey all,

Planning out the trackplan for my upcoming E&N layout (circa 198 and want to know if the shippers who are currently on the line now were still railway customers back in 1988?  More specifically, I'm wanting to know if National Silicates and the Royston Pole yard were customers back then...

Also, if anyone has any information as to other customers back in that year, I would greatly appreciate it...As in, was Buckerfields in Parksville still receiving stuff by rail or not?

Cheers,
Jon

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #204 on: May 3rd, 2010, 11:10pm »

on Jan 16th, 2010, 10:46pm, Mill_Bay wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hopefully this is something new... does anyone remember the rather sizeable N Scale layout that used to be in a, or the, hobby shop in Campbell River? I remember seeing it one, long ago, when we passed through Campbell River on a sailing trip, and I was quite enthralled with it. It's always stuck with me, so I was just wondering if anyone else remembers it, and if it is maybe still there.

The hobby shop, The Brass Hat, closed over ten years ago.  Just got off the phone after talking to the fellow who ran the shop.  Once the store was closed, there was no room for the layout so it had to go.  It's in the landfill.

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #205 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 8:50pm »

Anyone know if know what's going on with Dave Steele's "Rail Head" store (at the Oak Bay Junction). I noticed that it said "closed for inventory until Friday" two weeks ago... but from what I can see, it still seems closed, the store sign is down in the window too

wx732
Railfan

« Reply #206 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:20pm »

Just to add: Next SUNDAY  the 26th is the Victoria model railway show @ Cedar Hill.

Lego and British- I will be there.

James

wx732
Railfan

« Reply #207 on: Sep 18th, 2010, 12:28am »

on Sep 16th, 2010, 8:50pm, Speeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Anyone know if know what's going on with Dave Steele's "Rail Head" store (at the Oak Bay Junction). I noticed that it said "closed for inventory until Friday" two weeks ago... but from what I can see, it still seems closed, the store sign is down in the window too

I spoke to Dave Steele today at the store- he is moving back to the smaller shop next door.  I still have 2 locos in the store on consignment.

James

wx732
Railfan

« Reply #208 on: Sep 25th, 2010, 10:54am »

Tomorrow is the Victoria Model Railway Show @ Cedar Hill Rec Centre.

(just bumping the thread)

James

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #209 on: Sep 26th, 2010, 12:13pm »

on Sep 18th, 2010, 12:28am, wx732 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I spoke to Dave Steele today at the store- he is moving back to the smaller shop next door.  I still have 2 locos in the store on consignment.

James

Thanks for the update

I ran into Dave last Friday evening when I was passing the store. He showed me the renos that had been done on the old store. It'll look very good by the time he's moved back in.

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #210 on: Sep 26th, 2010, 9:18pm »

My son and I went to the show today, he loved it.

I took some cellphone videos of it... sorry it's terrible quality video, but better than nothing.

We came home with a couple secondhand cars, a CN caboose and a "Silver Streak" diesel locomotive with caboose.  He was adamant on getting some sort of "Diesel Lo-Ca-Mo-Tif.

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2010, 9:19pm by chrisale » Logged

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
chrisale
Historian

« Reply #211 on: Sep 26th, 2010, 9:35pm »

Here's the link
http://www.youtube.com/user/alberniweather?feature=mhum#p/u/3/bBMkTL7ycLc

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
mcl802
TRAINing

« Reply #212 on: Sep 28th, 2010, 10:49am »

In reply to your question about buiness served by C.P in the 1980s I have a chart made by DK Heron in 1986 listing customers.   Gardencity warehouse ltd. near albion team track, B.C. hydro gas, via ststion at mile0.0,Slade&stewart ltd. at mileo.45, Russell spur0.8, Green isle warehouse at1.31 standard furniture also at 1.31, Kelly douglas 1.45, CI gas 3.2, Victoria plywood at 3.8, Van Isle molding 8.33, I.C.G. petro 8.38, Macdonalds consolidated 8.9, top helf feeds 38.33, Buckerfields feed 38.8, oil spur 40.1, crofton spur , Mac Bloedel lumber 50.7, crown forest 58.34, Mohawk gas 63.3, Payless gas 63.45, Stannard distributers 71.1, Westview stucco 71.97, V.I gas 73.39, Kelly Douglas and C.I. gas 73.75, Madills 76.04, ICG petro 78.04, Jayem 84.3, Bryn storage (tahsis Co.) 89.4, Town of Parksville spur (c.i.l.) 92.4, Superior prop. 95.3, Dunsmur siding (conex explosives) 110.2, 118.0 B.C. hydro., Buckley Bay (Dupont Explosives) 126.1, Island Pole&Piling (Conex explosives) , A.W. Leaky Pole&Piling, I.C.G. petro 139.31, and on the Alberni sub there is Mac Bloe Plywood 39.7, I.C.G. petro 38.47, Alberni foundry 38.4, Mac Bloe sawmill, Mac Bloe Pulp&Papermill.  I hope this will help. Dave. on May 3rd, 2010, 10:10am, joncalon wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey all,

Planning out the trackplan for my upcoming E&N layout (circa 198 and want to know if the shippers who are currently on the line now were still railway customers back in 1988?  More specifically, I'm wanting to know if National Silicates and the Royston Pole yard were customers back then...

Also, if anyone has any information as to other customers back in that year, I would greatly appreciate it...As in, was Buckerfields in Parksville still receiving stuff by rail or not?

Cheers,
Jon

torch
Historian

« Reply #213 on: Sep 28th, 2010, 6:38pm »

there was  a lot of  other occasional customers as well. If you never saw a switch list from that period or wernt around the tracks  often you may not know about it.  Victoria foundry would recieve cars of coke in the vic west yard as late as the early 90s .  Clhorine showed up by tank time to time too as  wel as marine buoys(dont know who that shipper was) ,bricks came by flatcar for sleggs lumber and were unloaded on the esquimalt siding in view royal.  I saw  bulkhead flats loaded with pvc pie  arrive victoria for years too.  Thats to name a  few that arent commonly talked about.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #214 on: Sep 28th, 2010, 9:51pm »

on Sep 28th, 2010, 6:38pm, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
there was  a lot of  other occasional customers as well. If you never saw a switch list from that period or wernt around the tracks  often you may not know about it.  Victoria foundry would recieve cars of coke in the vic west yard as late as the early 90s .  ...

I remember seeing gondolas sitting in the yard at the unloading ramp. I guess those were coke for the foundry?

vicguy
Historian

« Reply #215 on: Sep 28th, 2010, 10:45pm »

Westcoast Appliance would get the occasional boxcar full of fridges and other appliances at the loading dock in the yard untill the mid 90's.

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2010, 10:48pm by vicguy » Logged

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
cycledude
Railfan

« Reply #216 on: Oct 4th, 2010, 12:37pm »

Vancouver Island Model Engineers 2010 One-minute Video

CN7059
Historian

« Reply #217 on: Oct 4th, 2010, 7:03pm »

on Oct 4th, 2010, 12:37pm, cycledude wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Vancouver Island Model Engineers 2010 One-minute Video

The purple box cab with the red roof belongs to my mother. I don't think it made it into your video, but if you were there for long enough on Saturday, you should have seen it.

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #218 on: Oct 4th, 2010, 8:22pm »

tahsis Co. at bryn siding? weird i wonder what could have been unloaded-loaded there. As far as I knew Tahsis company consisted of a pulp mill in Goldriver and a sawmill in Tahsis. Both far away from the E&N.

tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #219 on: Oct 5th, 2010, 1:43am »

on Oct 4th, 2010, 8:22pm, ENRFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)
tahsis Co. at bryn siding? weird i wonder what could have been unloaded-loaded there. As far as I knew Tahsis company consisted of a pulp mill in Goldriver and a sawmill in Tahsis. Both far away from the E&N.

I believe it was hot sulphur, they used to unload it at the end of track in Courtenay ( north of 5th street) it smelled so bad that the the local residents complained so much that they moved the unloading equipment to Bryn siding. The sulper was unloaded into CP Transport trucks and hauled to Gold River on the highway.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »