Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 5:55pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Vancouver Island Model Railways
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Vancouver Island Model Railways
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Vancouver Island Model Railways  (Read 13843 times)
cn2220
Historian
Re: Vancouver Island Model Railways

« Reply #180 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 4:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jul 21st, 2009, 4:14pm, Speeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Railhead's owner is Dave Steele, and he has a huge mix of pretty much everything in his small store. Yes, Lionel is there, but from what I've seen, that's only a small portion of what he has. Lot's of interesting used stuff too. Well worth the visit I can assure you!!!

As  for Vic Scale Rail closing... say it isn't so! What a shame! I'll have to drop in before he closes. I've recently got into N-Scale, and I've always appreciated the store and the great assistance from the owner.

I won't be goint to Railhead any time soon. It's a long story, but from what Terry has been telling me, Mr. Steele is one of the main reasons that Victoria Scale Rail is closing.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Speeder
Historian

« Reply #181 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 4:34pm »

on Jul 21st, 2009, 4:18pm, bcr4604 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I won't be goint to Railhead any time soon. It's a long story, but from what Terry has been telling me, Mr. Steele is one of the main reasons that Victoria Scale Rail is closing.

Sorry, I was unaware of any bad blood between the two guys. However, didn't Dave leave Vic Scale Rail almost 2 years ago? I would have thought that any effect he would have had would have happened ages ago.  

Anyway, I'll have to drop in to Terry's store within the next few days. As I said, I'm very saddened by the news

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #182 on: Jul 22nd, 2009, 3:16am »

on Jul 21st, 2009, 4:18pm, bcr4604 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Just remember that there is always two sides to each and every story.

The only reason I haven't made it to Railhead ever is location, location, location. Victoria Scale Rail was very convenient in location and parking.

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

wx732
Railfan

« Reply #183 on: Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:38pm »

I'd figure there are more like 3 sides to these stories, his, mine & the truth...

Certainly there is bad blood between Terry and a few other people, and some people could have supported him in his efforts rather than acting like vultures.  Now, we will be down to only the Shaver Shop for stuff, and their selection is not as good as Terry's was.  

It means more mail order for me...not though there is a shortage of that for me either, since I model british anyway.

James

wx732
Railfan

« Reply #184 on: Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:43pm »

I have Long Marton running under computer control again- it took ~15 days of on and off work to get it back to running, mostly off again chasing around child in basement.  I've since spent another day or so getting Railroad & Co to work reasonably right with the "simple" track setup right now.  (running 4 trains alternately, from 4 staging tracks...not the double ended yard that is in the other room).

It's looking good...but track cleanliness is a serious problem to get reliable automatic running.

James

vanislrailway
Railfan

« Reply #185 on: Sep 10th, 2009, 11:29pm »

Victoria Model Railway Show -Cedar Hill Recreation Center,  Free parking Admission: Adults - $6; Family - $13; NMRA/PNR - $5; Under 10 - Free when accompanied by an adult.  didnt see any posting yet.

I am interested in learning and preserving the history of the railway on Vancouver Island. With a lot of the History taken away we must work hard to insure our kids have the ability to watch and ride the rails we have left and enjoy seeing so much.
vicguy
Historian

« Reply #186 on: Sep 10th, 2009, 11:48pm »

on Sep 10th, 2009, 11:29pm, vanislrailway wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Victoria Model Railway Show -Cedar Hill Recreation Center,  Free parking Admission: Adults - $6; Family - $13; NMRA/PNR - $5; Under 10 - Free when accompanied by an adult.  didnt see any posting yet.

when is it?

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
vanislrailway
Railfan

« Reply #187 on: Sep 11th, 2009, 1:45am »

Opps sory forgot to say its this sunday.  Sept 13th

I am interested in learning and preserving the history of the railway on Vancouver Island. With a lot of the History taken away we must work hard to insure our kids have the ability to watch and ride the rails we have left and enjoy seeing so much.
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #188 on: Sep 13th, 2009, 6:20pm »

IS there anyone in the Nanaimo area that would like to start a modular club?? I don't have enough space to build a really large layout but if a few people got together and built some modulars we could have some fun. FUN is what I have in mind not strict rules on running railroads prototypicaly correct. anyone interested?

cycledude
Railfan

« Reply #189 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 11:07am »

on Sep 11th, 2009, 1:45am, vanislrailway wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Opps sory forgot to say its this sunday.  Sept 13th

90-second video we dropped by and have a video-to-prove-it. Great show!

wx732
Railfan

« Reply #190 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 11:33pm »

on Sep 14th, 2009, 11:07am, cycledude wrote:       (Click here for original message)

90-second video we dropped by and have a video-to-prove-it. Great show!

What did you think of my layout?  (the Lego stuff)

James

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #191 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 11:37pm »

on Sep 14th, 2009, 11:33pm, wx732 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

What did you think of my layout?  (the Lego stuff)

James

Was that your layout? Well, it certainly was the biggest hit with the kids wasn't it?

For two reasons:

1) It was Lego! and...

2) It was LOW enough for ALL the kids to view properly!!!

cycledude
Railfan
  vicmodrail_lego.jpg - 85068 Bytes
« Reply #192 on: Sep 15th, 2009, 11:08am »

"What did you think of my layout?  (the Lego stuff)"
It was excellent
and very popular. Thanks for all the work you put into your dispaly.Did it win any categories?
I took video but it didn't make the 90sec. version. Here's a framegrab:

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/vicmodrail_lego.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #193 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 6:54pm »

Another model project of mine, 6148 and 6135. 2 Athearn RDC-1's custom painted. Currently a work in progress.

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009, 6:55pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #194 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 1:00am »

on Oct 19th, 2009, 6:54pm, cn8863 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Another model project of mine, 6148 and 6135. 2 Athearn RDC-1's custom painted. Currently a work in progress.

HO?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #195 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 2:00am »

I guess N

wx732
Railfan

« Reply #196 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 9:33am »

Thanks Cycledude, for the shout out on the lego layout.  VICLUG puts forward a lot of work to do the shows we do, and it is great to hear that people like what we are doing.  There have been some negative experiences for other lego groups at shows, (it's not a "real model railway..." whateva!) but the experience of the clubs has been positive.  I hope that we can open the eyes of children to show them that modeling can vary from dead scale to fun models.

James Powell

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #197 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 2:03pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2009, 1:00am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

HO?

Yep, HO Scale.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CLC Fan

View Profile  

« Reply #198 on: Oct 25th, 2009, 6:23am »

Check out this G-scale E&N setup:

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php/2008/11/29/lone-firr-rr-bridges-and-trestles?blog=51

cn2141
Enthusiast
  IMGP0062.jpg - 94892 Bytes
« Reply #199 on: Oct 31st, 2009, 1:02am »

Well this seems to be the right place to put this info. A close friend of mine passed away in June and recently we had to dismantle his layout. This layout has been featured in many magazines. RMC published a major feature about 4 years ago as well. Most of the sections have went to museums in Pt Alberni, Parksville and Qualicum Beach. Some other sections are in private hands. The last remaining section is the Nanaimo Yard section which is 30 inches wide by 15 feet long. This was an 'O' scale layout with handlaid code 100 rail with turnouts operated by operating switchstands. It presently is in storage in my heated garage. We are looking for a home for this last piece. I will only cut it up as a last resort and will store it for awhile until someone wants it. It will also include a really nice backdrop and possibly all the buildings and the road bridge. The buildings may not  possibly be included if too much time goes by. This is a great opportunity to get into 'O' scale for free. As well if someone wants this quick then they can also buy a whack of railcars dirt cheap. I am going to post 3 pictures as well. Email me if you want it or let others know please. Thanks.....Sterling

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMGP0062.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »