Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 12:59am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Vancouver Island Model Railways
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Vancouver Island Model Railways
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Vancouver Island Model Railways  (Read 14164 times)
ENRFAN
Historian
Re: Vancouver Island Model Railways
  DSC09415_1060x707.jpg - 97040 Bytes
« Reply #160 on: Jun 18th, 2009, 11:02pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

My layout when finished,  will be set up for two people to run. The sawmill turn and the pulp mill turn. I'm going old school with DC control and blocks. Having to turn on and off differnt switches is all ways fun.4% grades and a minimum radis of 22, makes for hours of fun railroading. if you don't obey the speed restrictions on the climb out of grand forks derailments are a for sure thing. 3 four axle EMD's are needed to pull large modern equipment over a railroad designed for 40' freight cars. this picture is the start of my sawmill located roughly in grand forks  

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (97040 bytes, 1060x707 pixels)

Click Here to View Image DSC09415_1060x707.jpg - 97040 Bytes

wx732
Railfan

« Reply #161 on: Jun 24th, 2009, 11:29pm »

I have several model railways at home, starting out with the 3.5" gauge live steam engines, and working down to the large OO scale layout.  (Long Marton, S&C).  The deal I worked out with my wife was that she got a rain deflector, fitted with a fireplace and enough land for a horse, and I got a basement, fitted with a rain deflector

So, I have approximately 24x36 for layout development & storage...

around 1/2 of that is filled with Lego, including a very sizable collection of lego trains.  The other 1/2 is my OO scale model of Long Marton, or passageways.  I am sure that I could make better use of the space available to me, but that is what I am doing for now.  The OO runs around basically, the full outside of the house and through the middle, with the Lego confined to roughly 12x24 on the other side.  (there's also a bathroom and laundry room/basement entry which are not mine...lost that bit of the argument).  The walls have holes inserted as I require for running through, so right now there are 3 tunnels.  (which facinate the 3 year old to no end!)

Anyway, if anyone wants to come out and visit, drop me a email.  Quite often nothing is runnable (like right now...), but I can and do make things happen.

I also run at Vancouver Island Model Engineers, with the 3.5" gauge engines and the steam traction engine.  Again, let me know if anyone ever wants to have a go, I will see about timings.  (as work has a fairly non flexable scheduling process...)

James Powell

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #162 on: Jun 25th, 2009, 10:46am »

Well, it looks like supplies for modelling will be scarcer..........

Just received word that Victoria Scale Rail will be closing his doors July 31, 2009.

Thats make 6 hobby stores closed in the past 5 years in the Vancouver Island/Lower Mainland area.

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #163 on: Jun 25th, 2009, 11:02am »

That's too bad, I remember Terry was thinking about it the last time I talked to him.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2009, 11:03am by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
wx732
Railfan

« Reply #164 on: Jun 26th, 2009, 9:16am »

It does not come as much of a supprise to me that Terry has decided to fold in the towel, he has been talking about it seriously for the last 2 years or so.  There were incidents which have had a severe influence on his decisions, and I can understand why he is closing.  It is a shame to see one of the 3 local stores close, especially under these circumstances, but hardly supprising.

I know that online retailers have taken a huge share away from local stores.  I'm as guilty as the next person for it too, as I have bought stuff direct from several online stores rather than through VSR or Shaver & Hobby or Railhead, but it comes down to the fact that local small stores are not all that competitive against nationwide stores when they are being shut out of certain market areas by the availability of product, and the financial strength of the larger stores.  

I'll miss being able to get some stuff locally though...I know that.

James Powell

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #165 on: Jun 26th, 2009, 3:05pm »

Well, speaking as a small business owner with a retail side, My somewhat biased opinion is that we need to support our local stores...but that they have to DESERVE it. The attitude of some, that we should just support because it's the right thing to do, but without putting any effort into getting and retaining said business, is what drives some to online. Some of these places have essentially put themselves out of business(no personal experience with this particular one though). Having said that though, I buy alot of model RR stuff, and I do very much prefer to go and get it at the local store(s), unless I absolutley have to get it online.  We all lose when they are gone.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #166 on: Jun 26th, 2009, 6:45pm »

Railhead?

Is there another hobby shop in Victoria that I'm unaware of?

vicguy
Historian

« Reply #167 on: Jun 26th, 2009, 8:03pm »

on Jun 26th, 2009, 6:45pm, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Railhead?

Is there another hobby shop in Victoria that I'm unaware of?

I think they only deal in Lionel products.

Thats too bad about Victoria Scale Rail, I've been buying various train magazines there for years and enjoyed talking with Terry. I guess I'll be getting subscriptions for those mags now.....

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2009, 8:04pm by vicguy » Logged

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
Piglet
Historian

« Reply #168 on: Jun 26th, 2009, 11:08pm »

I am unfortunatly away from the island as it stands now for at least a few more years but I support my local shops in my area.  I have yet to find a store on line that carrys or will get me rail spikes for hand laying my rail.  I have just about all the equiptment I will need for now but the little things are what I need and seem to be only able to get them at the local stores thankfully.  You are right about the fact they have to take a serious interest in growing their business by making the customer happy as much as they can or why go there?  Im sad to see VSR go as when Im on the island and down that way I do stop by. Ah well.  Is the hobby shop just south of Campbell river still about?

we learn from the past
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #169 on: Jun 26th, 2009, 11:25pm »

The Only place that i know of is in Duncan. Scott's hobbies i think there called. they have a great selection of walthers buildings, woodland scenics, scratchbuilding supplies, and other scenery stuff. They also have a small selection of track,freight cars and locomotives. they will also order in what you wan't. i have been buying there since my favorite train store of all time has shut down.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #170 on: Jun 27th, 2009, 12:01am »

Is Leisure Time still in Nanaimo?

ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #171 on: Jun 27th, 2009, 1:14am »

on Jun 27th, 2009, 12:01am, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yes unfortunatly, they were my favorite store. I used to travel great distances with my saved up allowance to shop there.

tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #172 on: Jun 27th, 2009, 1:43am »

on Jun 26th, 2009, 11:08pm, Piglet wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I am unfortunatly away from the island as it stands now for at least a few more years but I support my local shops in my area.  I have yet to find a store on line that carrys or will get me rail spikes for hand laying my rail.  I have just about all the equiptment I will need for now but the little things are what I need and seem to be only able to get them at the local stores thankfully.  You are right about the fact they have to take a serious interest in growing their business by making the customer happy as much as they can or why go there?  Im sad to see VSR go as when Im on the island and down that way I do stop by. Ah well.  Is the hobby shop just south of Campbell river still about?

Yes, it is still there and seems to doing quite well.

tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #173 on: Jun 27th, 2009, 1:44am »

on Jun 27th, 2009, 12:01am, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)

No, it has been closed for awhile.

bcrailfan
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #174 on: Jun 27th, 2009, 10:12am »

ebay, P.W. R.S., Canadian Model Trains, etc....  These and others must be awfully tough competitors for any hobby shop.

ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #175 on: Jun 27th, 2009, 12:41pm »

being a young railfan(24) buying products online is a huge hassel. Trying to keep credit lines under control,bills, and all that goes along with parent hood is very hard. But when ever i do have a few extra dollars to buy somthing heading to my local hobby shop is a real treat. I agree that it is hard to compete with online sales, the customer base online is infinite.
it is up to local railfans to support there local hobby shops. When leisure time was open I never once bought anything online. I would go and order it through them.  
  Sure there are great deals on the internet, but is there friendly staff to help you with your decisions? Is there anyone to help you use the website?? when you need a quiet place to just go and drool over the loco's in the display case the computer screen just doesn't quite cut it. So now I will make the drive from Nanaimo to Duncan to support my local hobby shop. I don't need to know about the great deals online, oh wait, plus shipping and handling.  
I'll Stick with cold hard Cash.

farronhill
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #176 on: Jun 27th, 2009, 8:31pm »

on Jun 26th, 2009, 8:03pm, vicguy wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I think they [The Railhead] only deal in Lionel products.

>>snipped

Not so, unless there has been a change very recently. They had lots of things, new and used, for the modeler the last time I was there. For example, I bought a new DCC cab and supplies and got very good service.

Usual disclaimer, no connection to the shop, just a satisfied customer.

vicguy
Historian

« Reply #177 on: Jun 27th, 2009, 8:56pm »

on Jun 27th, 2009, 8:31pm, farronhill wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Not so, unless there has been a change very recently. They had lots of things, new and used, for the modeler the last time I was there. For example, I bought a new DCC cab and supplies and got very good service.

Usual disclaimer, no connection to the shop, just a satisfied customer.

When the owner of Railhead (can't think of his name) worked at Victoria Scale Rail he told me about his plans to open the store and that he would only deal in Lionel. I thought then it was strange as it was such a limited market and since I have no interest in Lionel I have never been in his store. Do you know if he sells the usual train magazines? I would rather support a local shop then get a subscription.

Thanks for the info, farronhill  

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
rrthomp
TRAINing

« Reply #178 on: Jul 3rd, 2009, 1:58am »

Railhead has an eclectic mix of new and used N to G and Lionel. Really small store but worth a visit now and then. No magazines.

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #179 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 4:14pm »

on Jun 27th, 2009, 8:56pm, vicguy wrote:       (Click here for original message)

When the owner of Railhead (can't think of his name) worked at Victoria Scale Rail he told me about his plans to open the store and that he would only deal in Lionel. I thought then it was strange as it was such a limited market and since I have no interest in Lionel I have never been in his store. Do you know if he sells the usual train magazines? I would rather support a local shop then get a subscription.

Thanks for the info, farronhill  

Railhead's owner is Dave Steele, and he has a huge mix of pretty much everything in his small store. Yes, Lionel is there, but from what I've seen, that's only a small portion of what he has. Lot's of interesting used stuff too. Well worth the visit I can assure you!!!

As  for Vic Scale Rail closing... say it isn't so! What a shame! I'll have to drop in before he closes. I've recently got into N-Scale, and I've always appreciated the store and the great assistance from the owner.

As for the BC Shaver Shop... I haven't had good experiences there over the last few years. Only one guy (Mark) seems to know anything about model railways, and their selection isn't that great either. Case in point: Atlas Code 55 n-scale track... I asked them to order some (any!!!) code 55 turnouts over a year ago, and still none have come in. A couple of staff members even told me that they didn't know if Atlas was making code 55 anymore. Clearly BS. Whatever, I guess I`ll got somewhere else.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »