Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 24th, 2017, 6:35am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Historic Rolling Stock
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Historic Rolling Stock
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Historic Rolling Stock  (Read 4072 times)
tfctrains
Historian
Re: Historic Rolling Stock

« Reply #40 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 1:17am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Sidewinder
You just got my attention, is that the tender that ended up on 3716? What you doing tomorrow?

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 1:27am »

on Aug 21st, 2008, 1:17am, tfctrains wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sidewinder
You just got my attention, is that the tender that ended up on 3716? What you doing tomorrow?

Now that is an interesting question!  Maybe it did.  There must be some way to prove it.

Have a appointment during the morning but the PM is free.  Why..... want to go chase trains on the Port Sub?

tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 1:34am »

Think we can still run fast enough?

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #43 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 5:25am »

i was wondering that myself when I seen the pictures of Esquilmalt yard you posted with the steam crane and tender. Whent to summerland in july and took a ride on the 3716. Talked to the engineer about the tender then and he wasnt sure were it came from and the trucks didnt seem to be original either.He thought it might have come from Prince george and isnt that were the steam crane went to?

tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 11:19pm »

on Aug 21st, 2008, 5:25am, timberland#7 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
i was wondering that myself when I seen the pictures of Esquilmalt yard you posted with the steam crane and tender. Whent to summerland in july and took a ride on the 3716. Talked to the engineer about the tender then and he wasnt sure were it came from and the trucks didnt seem to be original either.He thought it might have come from Prince george and isnt that were the steam crane went to?

Yes the steam crane did go to Prnice George, I also think the original tender from 3716 is in Prince George, so that makes since, that a trade may have took place. I have pictures of the steam crane operating when we were there , will post some time.

Sidewinder
Historian
  VictTenderR.jpg - 142283 Bytes
« Reply #45 on: Aug 22nd, 2008, 12:24am »

on Aug 21st, 2008, 5:25am, timberland#7 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Here is an Aug 81 photo of the tender that you noticed with the steam crane at Victoria.  Perhaps you can identify it as the one behind the 3716.  Unfortunately, the trucks are not visible in the shadows.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/VictTenderR.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Sidewinder
Historian
  WellTender1R.jpg - 116451 Bytes
« Reply #46 on: Aug 22nd, 2008, 12:29am »

Might as well show close-ups of the tenders at Wellington photographed March 1976, too.

1 of 2.  Notice it has a different number than the one shown in Victoria.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/WellTender1R.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Sidewinder
Historian
  WellTender2R.jpg - 129157 Bytes
« Reply #47 on: Aug 22nd, 2008, 12:31am »

2 of 2.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/WellTender2R.jpg
Click Image to Resize

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #48 on: Aug 22nd, 2008, 4:09am »

I was up at the prince george museum in may and took some photos . Dont remember seeing a tender and wasnt with the crane but it could have been there I just dont remember it.Looked at my photos of 3716 and the tender does not have trucks like the 415809 tender could be one of the other two.

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #49 on: Aug 22nd, 2008, 2:25pm »

415815 is likely the one...I have pics somewhere of the swap in progress in 1987/88, and of the tender, so I should be able to find a number. It was definatley in the all black paint scheme. That pic of 415819 is the only work service tender I've ever seen that retained it's steam era paint. I do recall that the tender with 3716 now is from a P2

An even better question, are any of these left anywhere on the system?..I don't think so.

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2008, 2:27pm by missthealcos » Logged
Sidewinder
Historian
  Railfan4.jpg - 105231 Bytes
« Reply #50 on: Sep 2nd, 2008, 6:15pm »

on Aug 22nd, 2008, 2:25pm, missthealcos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
415815 is likely the one...I have pics somewhere of the swap in progress in 1987/88, and of the tender, so I should be able to find a number. It was definatley in the all black paint scheme. That pic of 415819 is the only work service tender I've ever seen that retained it's steam era paint. I do recall that the tender with 3716 now is from a P2

An even better question, are any of these left anywhere on the system?..I don't think so.

Too bad no-one responded.  It would be nice to know what happened to the tenders.

Here is another picture from my recent slide search that seems like a good candidate for Historic Rolling Stock.  Still think a train is not a train without a caboose.  And, if you are going to have a caboose, it should look like this.  Wellcox, March 1975.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Railfan4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Sidewinder
Historian
  Railfan3a.jpg - 157282 Bytes
« Reply #51 on: Oct 6th, 2008, 12:39am »

This cut-down box car used to catch my attention at Wellcox.  It was there for years.  Never figured out if it had a useful purpose other than an idler when unloading barges and the Princess of Vancouver.  The tops of the steam locomotive tender inserts that were mounted on the flat car shown in Reply #34 are visible in the rear.  The plow and spreader are historic, too.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Railfan3a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Sidewinder
Historian
  HistoricRS.jpg - 258476 Bytes
« Reply #52 on: Oct 12th, 2008, 11:31pm »

From the days when freight cars were forty feet!  Wellcox Feb. 16, 1985.  The "tender insert" water car is in the background.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/HistoricRS.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CLC Fan

View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Oct 13th, 2008, 1:57pm »

That's an amazing shot... I would not have thought that was taken in the mid-1980's.  Even the heavy industry (the mill) in the background has its own appeal history wise.

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #54 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 12:20am »

on Oct 13th, 2008, 1:57pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That's an amazing shot... I would not have thought that was taken in the mid-1980's.  Even the heavy industry (the mill) in the background has its own appeal history wise.

Yes, it does seem recent.  But, the photo was taken almost 25 years ago.  A lot can happen in 25 years.  Things certainly did change fast.... those neat old 40 footers were there one day..... gone the next.  The mill, too.

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2008, 12:21am by Sidewinder » Logged
Sidewinder
Historian
  Victoria529a.jpg - 191436 Bytes
« Reply #55 on: Oct 19th, 2008, 12:27am »

Often wondered why this tank ended up mounted on a flat car.  Victoria, Aug. 20,1982

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Victoria529a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cprted
TRAINing
View Profile  

100_0514_2.jpg - 56607 Bytes
« Reply #56 on: Aug 21st, 2009, 2:16pm »

on Aug 22nd, 2008, 12:24am, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Here is an Aug 81 photo of the tender that you noticed with the steam crane at Victoria.  Perhaps you can identify it as the one behind the 3716.  Unfortunately, the trucks are not visible in the shadows.

I'm willing to say with 95% certainty that this is not the tender that is currently behind 3716.  I've also understood that the current tender came from a P2, but I've never actually seen or heard any evidence to support (or contradict) that.  

3716's original tender is indeed at the Museum in Prince George.  When I was there three years ago, it was sitting in the shop compound across the street from the museum.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/100_0514_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

The grey box represents a world without the arts: A world which BC Premier Gordon Campbell is trying to create by cutting provincial arts and culture funding by 85%.

Don't Torch The Arts--Culture Matters
www.allianceforarts.com
missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #57 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 1:16am »

I've been digging through pictures I years ago, and it appears that 415815 is indeed the tender with 3716 now. I have a picture of it taken at the North Van steam shop in early 1987.

Then I googled the number 415815...guess what came up!

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2798198090053145380XEDaGL

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2009, 1:25am by missthealcos » Logged
cprted
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #58 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 12:53pm »

on Aug 25th, 2009, 1:16am, missthealcos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I've been digging through pictures I years ago, and it appears that 415815 is indeed the tender with 3716 now. I have a picture of it taken at the North Van steam shop in early 1987.

Then I googled the number 415815...guess what came up!

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2798198090053145380XEDaGL

Nice find. So now the question becomes, to which locomotive(s) did 415815 belong?

The grey box represents a world without the arts: A world which BC Premier Gordon Campbell is trying to create by cutting provincial arts and culture funding by 85%.

Don't Torch The Arts--Culture Matters
www.allianceforarts.com
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »