Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 23rd, 2017, 4:24pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.  (Read 35140 times)
CPRail4744
Historian
Re: CANFOR Logging Pics.

« Reply #80 on: May 31st, 2006, 2:06am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

You guys read my mind...
I have been thinking about Granville Island a lot, too.   I know nothing about it, except it is slathered in tracks, and want to know all about it

Anybody and everybody out there tell us what you know!

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
ShovelmanNorthwest
TRAINing

« Reply #81 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 12:34am »

Granville island was manmade. A number of logging support businesses operated on the island.Tyee  machinery may have worked on locomotive 4804. Tyee machinery worked at building and rebuilding and building loaders and yarders, as well as any business that they could get to keep the shop busy. Bc equipment was at the NW corner of the island they sold and serviced Northwest grade shovels and loaders, as well as International crawlers and wheel loaders. National machinery rented space out to Cypress equipment who assembled and built-up the American log loaders and yarders, as well as CP drill rigs. There also was a company that sold and repaired log boom chain, the chain that kept the logbooms together whilst being towed to the sawmills. Many of the companies mentioned have either gone off the island or? The business at the west end of the island was ARROW transfer, they loaded numerous barges that offloaded equipment to many camps and mining companies up and down the coast as well as Vancouver Island.

North49
Former Member

« Reply #82 on: Aug 21st, 2006, 4:44pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

hey thanks for sharing all those great pics! lots of history and logging railway action up there!

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #83 on: Aug 21st, 2006, 10:33pm »

Wonderful to see the north islands railway again. Interesting that WFP rejected an offer on ole number 113; probably means she'll rust away to the point of being unrestoreable. Sad. Excellent pictures, CLC fan. That old trestle is a neat find.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #84 on: Aug 21st, 2006, 11:33pm »

Keep posting it. Its awesome stuff.

Mark J
Railfan

« Reply #85 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 9:10am »

Wow, thanks for taking the time to post all of these, I enjoyed seeing your pictures of a railway I have always wanted to see first hand.  Thanks again CLC.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

Re: CANFOR / WFP Logging Pics.

« Reply #86 on: Oct 25th, 2006, 11:25pm »

Greta pics as usual.  Always nice to see more of our friends at Woss

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #87 on: Oct 25th, 2006, 11:35pm »

CLC fan - I am once again impressed by your camera work and subject. Thank you for posting these. Man, I gotta get up there and take some pictures for myself.

torch
Historian

« Reply #88 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 7:21am »

awesome photos and  vid.  GREAT sounding  five chime horn! lol  guess only one bell out of the five was working?

craigolio1
Railfan

« Reply #89 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 2:17pm »

I'ld love to see some closer detail sots of the flats and caboose if you have them.

Craig.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #90 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 3:42pm »

I am now certain that CLC fan cannot take a bad picture.
I almost never get up that far so I really appreciate your pictures and especially videos of the Englewood logging operation. The equipment they use is unique and deserves more attention. Its too bad that the weather doesnt cooperate more when youre there.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #91 on: Jan 27th, 2007, 8:43pm »

Those are some nice photos. It's nice to see one railroad on the island that is alive and well.

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2007, 8:44pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #92 on: Jan 28th, 2007, 12:51am »

Those night shots on your website are spectacular.  Mystical.  Great work.

Kudos for the hard-core camping.

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2007, 1:07am by Cody » Logged
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #93 on: Jan 29th, 2007, 11:08am »

As always, CLC Fan, excellent pictures. I hate to see the 112 in such a sad state. I'm sure its worth saving but I dont know how much worse it could get before its officially not worth saving. When did the smokebox door go missing? Preserved Steam (Roman) are you around here? I wonder what your thoughts are?
I appreciate the "now with 30% more youtube" content Richard. Nice touch, and thank you for doing that. I hope you dont mind if I link that elsewhere.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #94 on: Jan 29th, 2007, 9:54pm »

on Jan 29th, 2007, 2:55pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The door went missing a couple of years ago and some people are trying to keep an eye out for it.

Not that the door was very well preserved or anything, after all didnt it have a torch line in it? So I guess it had to be replaced anyway. Its just a simple casting. Still you hate to see a piece of island rail history be stolen. The 112 needs some work soon or it will all become glorified scrap metal.

on Jan 29th, 2007, 2:55pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

YouTube really slaughters the resolution.. i'm tempted to zip all the files together and upload them somewhere else so people can see it without all that pixelation, but it would be a big file.  I'll keep that webpage up for about a month and the vids on YouTube indefinitely.

YouTube slaughters the resolution of almost everything posted on it. Check out Google Video to see if it suits you better. http://video.google.ca/ Just a suggestion, I like the larger screen myself, fwiw.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #95 on: Jan 30th, 2007, 10:49am »

There is a way to delete videos, but the process is slow. I wont lie to you I dont know how it works, but did find this topic in the 'Help' toolbar: http://groups.google.com/group/google-video-past/browse_thread/thread/e10c5003e38535c0  
I hope that helps. I would suggest trying one 'disposable' video on Google to see if you like them better than YouTube.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #96 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:16am »

I just stumbled on some older videos of the Canfor Englewood operation. 3 in all. Just click the appropriate icon at http://customcutters.org  Enjoy.

Edit: I had some problems uploading after the first one. It might be easier to search Youtube for: dylanwinter1 , then select from there.

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2007, 1:11am by FSD8014 » Logged
Jayturf
Enthusiast

« Reply #97 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 9:15pm »

on Jan 29th, 2007, 11:08am, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
As always, CLC Fan, excellent pictures. I hate to see the 112 in such a sad state. I'm sure its worth saving but I dont know how much worse it could get before its officially not worth saving. When did the smokebox door go missing? Preserved Steam (Roman) are you around here? I wonder what your thoughts are?
I appreciate the "now with 30% more youtube" content Richard. Nice touch, and thank you for doing that. I hope you dont mind if I link that elsewhere.

I wish i lived on northern vancouver island because i would totally be willing to help restore that old engine...i'm no expert but i would be willing to help.. maybe someone should start some sort of society to restore it.  We could do it all by volunteer.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #98 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 10:31pm »

I don't personally understand why the restoration crowd isn't more interested in the 112. I get why there is such interest in the 113 as its a much easier restoration, but they seem uninterested in giving it up. The 112 is almost hidden and I am always saddened by the neglect it gets, so I would be surprised if the company or community wouldn't let it go to undergo a restoration to operation again.
I think the degree of work required is the greatest thing working against this happening. The resto crowd would rather have the big Alco as the work is less and the locie is more appealing. Not that theres anything wrong with that and I could be wrong on both counts.
 I'd still like to see both saved just the same.

Jayturf
Enthusiast

« Reply #99 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 10:42pm »

does anyone know how one would go about organizing a restoration?  I'm sure if there was someone who knew what they were doing they would have no problem getting a lot of help from ppl like us.  I know of a few people in my area who have done some pretty incredible restorations of old diesel pump engines from barkerville... i should track them down and see if they're interested.

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2007, 10:51pm by Jayturf » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »