Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 24th, 2017, 11:07pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.  (Read 35437 times)
NightShiftLogger
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.

« Reply #440 on: Jun 17th, 2012, 5:04am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jun 14th, 2012, 12:36am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This morning I saw parked on a siding approx. 14 kms (by Hwy 19) North of the Woss turnoff a string of 20 ish loaded cars with large diameter logs.   Couldn't stop for a photo; but the great thing is that the trees along this stretch have been thinned so it'll be easy for someone to get pictures right from the highway.

That would be Siding 4. It is pretty much the halfway point of the opereation.

jgarcia
TRAINing
Re: CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Summer Operations

« Reply #441 on: Jun 28th, 2012, 12:10pm »

Hello all,

I'd like to photograph the Englewood operations in early August. Do they still shut down in the summer, or will they be operating? It's a long way to go to find out they're not running!

Thanks,
J. Garcia

NightShiftLogger
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: CANFOR Logging Pics.

« Reply #442 on: Jul 12th, 2012, 5:13am »

on Dec 21st, 2005, 3:14am, Cody wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ballast cars at Camp A.   They must of been barged to Beaver Cove from their glory days on CN.

Just a quick note. They were brought by truck. They are the only friction bearing cars on the line. The rest are roller bearing. The 1000 and 1100 series cars are formerly from Klamath Falls. 125 of them came by barge. Two trips. starting in 1992. These were the last rail stock to arrive by barge. The former CN ballast cars arrived in 1995 or 1996. Sorry, memory just doesn't serve.

NightShiftLogger
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #443 on: Jul 12th, 2012, 5:24am »

on Oct 17th, 2010, 11:58am, ENRFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)
How long of a drive from goldriver? half hour 45 minutes?? I'll be working in gold river all next week it would be cool to get some shots of a real train!

If you drive an hour from Gold River you will be on Hwy 19 again. At the Mt. Cain trun off. Using this alternat route Gold River is two hours from Port McNeill. So to get to Vernon..less then half an hour. If you are making stops..then that is not calculated in driving. Of course I ussually only drive this when operations are shut down. Logging equiptment is large and slower then your average pick up.

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #444 on: Jul 12th, 2012, 1:16pm »

Just wondering... is the railway working right now?

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
Brakeman302
Former Member

« Reply #445 on: Jul 12th, 2012, 2:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Yes they are working still. I imagine a long bout if hot weather and they will be down.

NightShiftLogger
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #446 on: Jul 15th, 2012, 9:01am »

Latest. The dayshift will be starting one hour earlier on Monday due to the low humidity readings in the woods. That means fire hazards. We used water cars Friday.
If we recieve recovery over night , this situation can go on and on. Or we could be shut down. It is day to day now due to the weather. Welome to logging.

csxt6573
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #447 on: Aug 23rd, 2012, 8:17pm »

Hi gang,

It's a little less than a month to my trip up to the Englewood.  Any updates on operations?  Still an AM and PM Beaver Cove job and one AM Woss job?

Matt "The Z Man" Adams
GWI Oregon Region Engineer
Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #448 on: Sep 8th, 2012, 10:19pm »

on Aug 23rd, 2012, 8:17pm, csxt6573 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi gang,

It's a little less than a month to my trip up to the Englewood.  Any updates on operations?  Still an AM and PM Beaver Cove job and one AM Woss job?

The railway is back in operation after a brief summer shutdown.  No rain could still be a problem.  September shutdowns have occurred in the past.

The 304 suffered a major engine failure a number of weeks ago.  The prime mover is out of the engine and the crank shaft has been sent to the US for repair. You will not get to see MU'd operation.  Two shifts are operating at the north end with the day shift working between Beaver Cove and Camp A and the evening shift between the Cove and Siding 4.

The south end delivers loaded cars to Siding 4.  Not sure how many shifts.

joncalon
Historian

« Reply #449 on: Sep 9th, 2012, 2:39pm »

Those who are interested in the Englewood railway would do well to pick up a copy of this months TRAINS magazine.

Leo de Groot wrote an extensive article about the railway and is accompanied by many photos of the operation.  Well worth reading!

Jon

csxt6573
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #450 on: Sep 12th, 2012, 7:56am »

PM Beaver Cove left at 1645 yesterday (9/11) with 30 cars. There was a healthy amount at Siding 4 and what seemed like 50-100 loads at Camp A. I had a large hole in my pants from making some adjustments to my truck that Inwas too embarrassed to stop in at Woss - I'm heading there now. If anyone else is out, I'm in a black 2004 Tudra with Oregon plates. My plates pay homage to the SD60 son you'll know it when you see it.  Thanks for all the help guys!

Matt "The Z Man" Adams
cbk
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #451 on: Sep 13th, 2012, 12:55am »

So what's happening on the south end of the railroad? One or two Woss jobs? Thanks for the updates. It's a great railroad that I'd love to visit again.

An Englewood Fan in California

NightShiftLogger
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #452 on: Sep 13th, 2012, 12:58pm »

on Jun 14th, 2012, 12:36am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This morning I saw parked on a siding approx. 14 kms (by Hwy 19) North of the Woss turnoff a string of 20 ish loaded cars with large diameter logs.   Couldn't stop for a photo; but the great thing is that the trees along this stretch have been thinned so it'll be easy for someone to get pictures right from the highway.

Better then thinned. When they logged this section they hot loaded right onto the rail cars. As there is a siding there, cars were left on the main track and the siding use for traffic. WFP has done this quite a bit.

csxt6573
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #453 on: Sep 13th, 2012, 7:25pm »

on Sep 13th, 2012, 12:55am, cbk wrote:       (Click here for original message)
So what's happening on the south end of the railroad? One or two Woss jobs? Thanks for the updates. It's a great railroad that I'd love to visit again.

An Englewood Fan in California

One Woss job at 0630. On Tuesday they worked the Woss reload twice. Wednesday they did Woss and Vernon. Maquilla had a ton of empties bit their wheels were a tad rusty so I figure they had been there a little while.  For what it's worth, the Woss crew generally (and subject to change) for light power to Siding 6, gathers empties for Woss, goes to the Woss Reload, brings loads back to Siding 6, then gathers empties for whatever else they're going to work, heads there, swaps, then return to Siding 6. They pick up the loads from earlier and head for Siding 4. There they drop the loads and pick up whatever empties the PM Beaver Cove crew brought and take them back to Siding 6 and return light power to Woss.

With 304 being down, there has been some serious consideration into reactivating the 303, depending on how much $$$ it would take. The Beaver Cove jobs are limited to the amount of cars they can handle each trip being down one unit. Siding 3 was pretty full and Camp A seemed to have plenty of loads sitting around.

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2012, 11:54pm by csxt6573 » Logged

Matt "The Z Man" Adams
SRY 110
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #454 on: Oct 30th, 2012, 1:22pm »

WFP sister railway lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aSSYBgmNW0&feature=g-all-lik

More focus on the positive...less on the negative..
tfctrains
Historian
  image2-22.jpg - 124462 Bytes
« Reply #455 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 1:43am »

on Oct 30th, 2012, 1:22pm, SRY 110 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
WFP sister railway lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aSSYBgmNW0&feature=g-all-lik

Canadian Forest Products 301 looking pretty spiffy in the Woss Yard a slide dated Apr 1987. It is quite unusual to see 301 at Woss, it was usually 302.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/image2-22.jpg
Click Image to Resize

tfctrains
Historian
  image0-22.jpg - 104403 Bytes
« Reply #456 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 1:44am »

on Nov 16th, 2012, 1:43am, tfctrains wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Canadian Forest Products 301 looking pretty spiffy in the Woss Yard a slide dated Apr 1987. It is quite unusual to see 301 at Woss, it was usually 302.

Another view.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/image0-22.jpg
Click Image to Resize

tfctrains
Historian
  image1-25.jpg - 109214 Bytes
« Reply #457 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 1:51am »

on Nov 16th, 2012, 1:44am, tfctrains wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Another view.

A view of 301 with the crane in the background.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/image1-25.jpg
Click Image to Resize

tfctrains
Historian
  image1-1-10.jpg - 116656 Bytes
« Reply #458 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 2:20am »

on Nov 16th, 2012, 1:51am, tfctrains wrote:       (Click here for original message)

A view of 301 with the crane in the background.

Cab 403 at siding 4 if I remember right. The stake on the last car I found interesting, I believe it is stake number 400 built by ITM, used to up grade the carrying capacity of the log cars.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/image1-1-10.jpg
Click Image to Resize

tfctrains
Historian
  image2-1-8.jpg - 82702 Bytes
« Reply #459 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 2:22am »

on Nov 16th, 2012, 2:20am, tfctrains wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Cab 403 at siding 4 if I remember right. The stake on the last car I found interesting, I believe it is stake number 400 built by ITM, used to up grade the carrying capacity of the log cars.

Some of the older ballast cars loaded in the Woss Yard.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/image2-1-8.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »