Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 23rd, 2017, 5:36pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.  (Read 35410 times)
Cody
Historian
View Profile  

Re: CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.

« Reply #420 on: Dec 6th, 2011, 8:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Weekdays in the winter are pretty much a guarantee.   They don't run in the summer depending on fire hazard.   I have visted the railway 5 times between September and December and have never missed out on seeing a train.   A good map of the area helps immensely. There are a few good ones posted online.    A decent vehicle, with some ground clearance, and hiking boots are also a good idea.

csxt6573
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #421 on: Dec 11th, 2011, 6:12am »

Would mid-June be considered "summer" for the purposes of seeing something move on the Englewood?

My to-be wife and I are coming to Vancouver Island for our honeymoon in 2012 and I wanted to make the journey out to that side of the island to see them in action...

Thanks!

Matt "The Z Man" Adams
GWI Oregon Region Engineer
Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #422 on: Dec 11th, 2011, 9:50pm »

I think it is entirely weather dependant, but I would guess it would still be wet enough in June for them to be cutting trees.   They shut down when the fire hazard becomes too great.    

Keep in mind your travel times if you are coming for a visit.   It is a solid 5-6 hours of steady driving, depending on your speed, between Victoria (I am assuming you might be starting there) and the north Island, so you gotta plan a few days, or at a minimum 2, to really check it out.   A lot of people, myself included before I moved here, have a misconception about how big Vancouver Island is.   The trip to that area is 575 miles (930Km) round trip from Victoria to the trains and back, so hopefully your new spouse likes road trips.

tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #423 on: Jan 1st, 2012, 11:49pm »

on Dec 11th, 2011, 9:50pm, Cody wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I think it is entirely weather dependant, but I would guess it would still be wet enough in June for them to be cutting trees.   They shut down when the fire hazard becomes too great.    

Keep in mind your travel times if you are coming for a visit.   It is a solid 5-6 hours of steady driving, depending on your speed, between Victoria (I am assuming you might be starting there) and the north Island, so you gotta plan a few days, or at a minimum 2, to really check it out.   A lot of people, myself included before I moved here, have a misconception about how big Vancouver Island is.   The trip to that area is 575 miles (930Km) round trip from Victoria to the trains and back, so hopefully your new spouse likes road trips.

I was told to-day by a WFP employee that WFP will be going back to work Jan 3, 2012. Trains will be hauling logs starting on Jan 4.

csxt6573
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #424 on: Mar 10th, 2012, 6:08pm »

on Dec 11th, 2011, 9:50pm, Cody wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Thanks Cody...  Our trip got pushed back to mid September due to work.  We're staying a couple nights in Port Hardy at the Ecoscape Cabins there.  It's a little further than I wanted to go for lodging, but it made her happy, so I'll deal with it.  She likes road trips, for the most part, and I see BC-19 follows the tracks from Woss for a ways, so I'm excited.

What's the protocol for driving around on the back roads out there?  Are you allowed on them, and/or allowed to cross the dual-use bridges?  I don't want to come up there and act like a moron (even though I am)!

Matt "The Z Man" Adams
chrisale
Historian

« Reply #425 on: Mar 10th, 2012, 6:38pm »

on Mar 10th, 2012, 6:08pm, csxt6573 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Thanks Cody...  Our trip got pushed back to mid September due to work.  We're staying a couple nights in Port Hardy at the Ecoscape Cabins there.  It's a little further than I wanted to go for lodging, but it made her happy, so I'll deal with it.  She likes road trips, for the most part, and I see BC-19 follows the tracks from Woss for a ways, so I'm excited.

What's the protocol for driving around on the back roads out there?  Are you allowed on them, and/or allowed to cross the dual-use bridges?  I don't want to come up there and act like a moron (even though I am)!

All of the logging roads up there are public/crown land.  So the public is allowed as long as there are no closed gates or other obvious logging activity that the public should not be around.

It might be worth putting in a call to WFP to ask them where you should or shouldn't be.  I don't know how open they are but they might at least give you pointers, or they might just say GO AWAY... at which point I'd ignore them and just use due care and caution.

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #426 on: Mar 10th, 2012, 8:30pm »

on Mar 10th, 2012, 6:08pm, csxt6573 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hee hee....  You must be from the USA... "BC-19"...  We locals just write HWY19 or "Highway 19"; or short "19".   Also, Canadian Rails are known as "Railways" not "Railroads".  Not a big deal; we know how to translate.
Hard to see the rails from the highway as the foliage is very thick and tall.  You will cross under the cement rail-bridges along the way from Sayward to Nimkish Lake.    
Check out Telegraph Cove for the end of the railway for the log-sort operation.  Cute little hamlet/fishing village that you can also take boat tours from as well.
Something to note....  Sunny days are rare....  We affectionately call the West Coast the "Wet Coast" for a reason.  
Also, check out Port Alberni if you get the chance.  There's a weekend train-ride (steam or diesel) to the historic "Mclean Mill".
Also, check out the Forest Discovery Centre at Duncan.  

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #427 on: Mar 11th, 2012, 12:11am »

sxt6573
One thing you should know, if there are logging trucks on the road, they rule. You are in the wrong if you get into an accident. Drive at all times with your lights on and watch for pull outs and remember where the last one was because some of the trucks up there take up the full width of the road, so you may be forced to back up to the lat pullout. The offroad trucks are not always working up there but my neighbour drives in that neck of the woods and that's what he drives when he's at work.

Never known for Political Correctness
& far from a tag words cut and paste artist.
Port Alberni or Thereabouts.
tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #428 on: Mar 11th, 2012, 4:49pm »

on Mar 11th, 2012, 12:11am, Garrett_Owner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
sxt6573
One thing you should know, if there are logging trucks on the road, they rule. You are in the wrong if you get into an accident. Drive at all times with your lights on and watch for pull outs and remember where the last one was because some of the trucks up there take up the full width of the road, so you may be forced to back up to the lat pullout. The offroad trucks are not always working up there but my neighbour drives in that neck of the woods and that's what he drives when he's at work.

There is a logging road that follows the tracks and uses the the joint use rail/road bridges. You can check in at the dispatchers office they are usually quite helpful There are Backroad map books available for Vancouver Island that are also quite good. There is more logging taking place daily, I understand now that the timber near Siding 4 has been logged so you can see it from the Highway again. Camp A reload is also quite accessible from the highway.
Along with being careful traveling the logging roads they like you to have hi-vis vests and hard hats when you are trackside. As far as the weather goes you can have some very nice days in the Nimpkish Valley Area.
A scanner is also very helpful locating where the trains are. As someone has already said Beaver Cove/ Telegraph Cove is a must to see.

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2012, 4:53pm by tfctrains » Logged
Brakeman302
Former Member

« Reply #429 on: Mar 12th, 2012, 12:09am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Camp A is very busy place right now. All the road side trees have been felled. Lots of logging trucks in and out of Camp A at a very steady pace. There is at least 4 new temporary crossing put in along Camp A mainline. If you havnt been up that way for a while  the landscape has totally changed. Siding four is very visible roadside. There are also parts of the mainline you can follow roadside south of siding three now. They have also logged alot off there as well. This does make it a little easier for rail fans to get a good look at parts of the operation. There has also been alot of logging trackside Vernon reload way. Hot loading has been quite steady for the past few months. Hot loading will be taking place right at mile 13 In the near future as well. A bit of a hike in northward  from Noomas bridge.

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #430 on: Mar 12th, 2012, 4:00am »

on Mar 12th, 2012, 12:09am, Brakeman302 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Camp A is very busy place right now. All the road side trees have been felled. Lots of logging trucks in and out of Camp A at a very steady pace. There is at least 4 new temporary crossing put in along Camp A mainline. If you havnt been up that way for a while  the landscape has totally changed. Siding four is very visible roadside. There are also parts of the mainline you can follow roadside south of siding three now. They have also logged alot off there as well. This does make it a little easier for rail fans to get a good look at parts of the operation. There has also been alot of logging trackside Vernon reload way. Hot loading has been quite steady for the past few months. Hot loading will be taking place right at mile 13 In the near future as well. A bit of a hike in northward  from Noomas bridge.

Please explain what "Hot loading" is and how its done?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

Brakeman302
Former Member

« Reply #431 on: Mar 12th, 2012, 9:38am »

"Hot loading" is when they load the logs right onto the log cars from the setting thus eliminating the logging truck completely. They have been doing this more as the settings are track side. No need to build a logging road. All the equipment was either brought in by flat car or walked in trackside.

tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #432 on: Mar 12th, 2012, 4:59pm »

on Mar 12th, 2012, 9:38am, Brakeman302 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
"Hot loading" is when they load the logs right onto the log cars from the setting thus eliminating the logging truck completely. They have been doing this more as the settings are track side. No need to build a logging road. All the equipment was either brought in by flat car or walked in trackside.

Thanks for the information Brakeman 302. I just wondered if you have heard any "Good News" on the E&N lately? I thought the Bridge report would have been released by now.

Brakeman302
Former Member

« Reply #433 on: Mar 12th, 2012, 11:58pm »

Sorry, I don't have any news on the E&N that everyone already knows. I have to log on here to find anything out!  

csxt6573
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #434 on: Mar 14th, 2012, 7:40pm »

on Mar 10th, 2012, 8:30pm, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hee hee....  You must be from the USA... "BC-19"...  We locals just write HWY19 or "Highway 19"; or short "19".   Also, Canadian Rails are known as "Railways" not "Railroads".  Not a big deal; we know how to translate.

It's funny.  I don't do that down here...  Born and raised in Maryland (22 years) then moved to Oregon in late 2005.

Thanks everybody for the replies.

I was wondering, the last post regarding physical operations of the line is from June 2010 (unless I missed something, entirely possible).  The MU set was going to Camp A and Siding 6 and the single was doing Siding 6 south.  Is this still accurate?  Is there a window of time where the trains will generally depart Beaver Cove and Woss (or wherever on the south end)?  How fast do they travel (you can use kmh, I can convert )  

I see someone mentioned a hard hat and hi-vis vest.  Since I work for a railroad down here in the states, that stuff is easy, plus steel toed boots, to come by.  Do they prefer you to sign a waiver or anything?  Is 303 still yellow, and outside at....Woss?

Thanks for all of your help thus far.  I got the backroads map (downloaded it to save $$) and I'll print the pages I need.

Matt "The Z Man" Adams
tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #435 on: Mar 14th, 2012, 8:22pm »

on Mar 14th, 2012, 7:40pm, csxt6573 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

It's funny.  I don't do that down here...  Born and raised in Maryland (22 years) then moved to Oregon in late 2005.

Thanks everybody for the replies.

I was wondering, the last post regarding physical operations of the line is from June 2010 (unless I missed something, entirely possible).  The MU set was going to Camp A and Siding 6 and the single was doing Siding 6 south.  Is this still accurate?  Is there a window of time where the trains will generally depart Beaver Cove and Woss (or wherever on the south end)?  How fast do they travel (you can use kmh, I can convert )  

I see someone mentioned a hard hat and hi-vis vest.  Since I work for a railroad down here in the states, that stuff is easy, plus steel toed boots, to come by.  Do they prefer you to sign a waiver or anything?  Is 303 still yellow, and outside at....Woss?

Thanks for all of your help thus far.  I got the backroads map (downloaded it to save $$) and I'll print the pages I need.

We have never signed a waiver, it seems to work well for us to stop by have a chat with the dispatcher find out what is planned for the day and to let them know what we are up too. They are usually quite helpful.  
The last time I saw 303 it was at he end of the track at Nimpkish and is still yellow. I don't think it has been used for a while now.

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #436 on: Jun 14th, 2012, 12:36am »

This morning I saw parked on a siding approx. 14 kms (by Hwy 19) North of the Woss turnoff a string of 20 ish loaded cars with large diameter logs.   Couldn't stop for a photo; but the great thing is that the trees along this stretch have been thinned so it'll be easy for someone to get pictures right from the highway.

NightShiftLogger
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #437 on: Jun 17th, 2012, 4:39am »

I am replying to your post at little late. In 2012, there are over 400 regular and new cars and 33 boomstick cars. Three water cars for spark suppression and fire fighting.Three Bull cars ( heavey flat cars for moving equiptment ) 7 flat cars for moving rails and ties. 7 gravel cars that are old CN stock and are still running with babbet bearings. The type that gave the old hands problems with hot journal boxxes. Two side dumps that were used last year. 2 old gravel cars that are the last of the cars used for the ore from the Nimpkish iron mine.
  The term "New cars" might need explaining. They are 1950's vintage and were abtained in 1992, the first went into service 1993. The were only available on this coast because thier scrappng was delayed by 10 years by the Mt. St Helens eruption, and the salvage operation that ensued. In the 1990's the Chinaes were on a national refurbishing drive and all the wheel pairs had been boughten up. Canfor , looking for wheels, ran into this deal and got 125 of them. They are the heavier looking cars. The ones with the shorter, pointed stakes are for boomsticks. These types of stakes were on all the cars untill a program, finished in 1974, replaced them with the higher stakes. The stakes were later extended, but I can not remember the date. The reason was to prevent the higher loads needing binders. Alas the trucks got higher stakes first. . . Laugh if you want, but communication and co-operation doesn't always happen. ( I am trying to be polite ).  
   Hope this answers some questions.

NightShiftLogger
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: CANFOR Logging Pics.

« Reply #438 on: Jun 17th, 2012, 4:51am »

on Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:14am, Cody wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Heading back to Camp A with the logs from siding 4 across the Alice Creek (?) overpass.   It was getting dark, and I had to hit the road, so I left the chase at this point.

The train is running cab-first with a bad-order log car from siding 4 on the point.   The car was covered in 'caution tape' and flagged "DO NOT LOAD".

Nice work...it is "Ann Creek" Overpass though.  
Glad to help.

NightShiftLogger
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #439 on: Jun 17th, 2012, 5:03am »

on Dec 11th, 2011, 6:12am, csxt6573 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Would mid-June be considered "summer" for the purposes of seeing something move on the Englewood?

My to-be wife and I are coming to Vancouver Island for our honeymoon in 2012 and I wanted to make the journey out to that side of the island to see them in action...

Thanks!

Be sure to stop at the Rail Traffic Control office in Woss. Randy will be sure to steer you in the right direction. Let you know where and when you can catch the action near the tracks. he has quite the collection of vintage photos in his office. You will want to stop there to check out the 113 anyways.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »