Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 3:21pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.  (Read 36723 times)
Mill_Bay
Enthusiast
Re: CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.

« Reply #280 on: Mar 12th, 2010, 3:56pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'm really loving all the pictures of the Canfor railway.

Their bridge architecture is truly artistic.

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #281 on: Mar 12th, 2010, 10:44pm »

on Mar 12th, 2010, 3:56pm, Mill_Bay wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm really loving all the pictures of the Canfor railway.

Their bridge architecture is truly artistic.

Nice to know you are enjoying the Englewood photos  

Today's bridges on the Englewood Railway look utilitarian.  Most, if not all, are steel structures.

« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2010, 8:15pm by Sidewinder » Logged
Sidewinder
Historian
  112.jpg - 143667 Bytes
« Reply #282 on: Mar 13th, 2010, 12:06am »

There were stories about how the 112 was moved when put on display at Beaver Cove.  Some pictures surfaced to prove it.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/112.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2010, 12:20am by Sidewinder » Logged
CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #283 on: Mar 13th, 2010, 3:15am »

Looks like a giant yellow tarantula is carrying 112 off to its nest.

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #284 on: Mar 13th, 2010, 10:47am »

WoW, I showed my kids and they got upset. hahaha "dad whats eating the tank engine!"

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #285 on: Mar 15th, 2010, 8:22pm »

on Mar 13th, 2010, 3:15am, CPRail4744 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Looks like a giant yellow tarantula is carrying 112 off to its nest.

Interesting analogy!  Could swear I heard someone call the Wagners "earwigs" at one time but can't find anyone to back me up.  Probably dreamt it.  Anyway, the tarantula version is much better!

CLC Fan

View Profile  

Canfor303_Mar15-2010.jpg - 131473 Bytes
« Reply #286 on: Mar 16th, 2010, 2:33am »

#303 sits tarped over at the tail end of the lead to Nimpkish shops.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Canfor303_Mar15-2010.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CLC Fan

View Profile  

WFP302-304-BeaverCove.jpg - 123676 Bytes
« Reply #287 on: Mar 16th, 2010, 3:08am »

#302 and 304 at Beaver Cove awaiting their next assignment.  Nice of them to clear out the brush here.. now one can get up close and get clear pics without trespassing.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/WFP302-304-BeaverCove.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #288 on: Mar 16th, 2010, 4:56am »

That's a huge log on that closest car

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Mill_Bay
Enthusiast

« Reply #289 on: Mar 17th, 2010, 1:07am »

on Mar 12th, 2010, 10:44pm, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Nice to know you are enjoying the Englewood photos  

Today's bridges on the Englewood Railway look utilitarian.  Most, if not all, are steel structures.

I still find them interesting, even if they aren't wood.

I like the combined road-rail aspect of most of them. It's actually a good inspiration for anyone looking for modelling ideas.

Sidewinder
Historian
  Mile19.9.jpg - 130971 Bytes
« Reply #290 on: Mar 17th, 2010, 10:07pm »

on Mar 16th, 2010, 3:08am, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
#302 and 304 at Beaver Cove awaiting their next assignment.  Nice of them to clear out the brush here.. now one can get up close and get clear pics without trespassing.  

Looks like you managed to get a Monday off.  Were the engines tied up already by the time you got to Beaver Cove?

Nice crisp clear pictures.  My point and shoot can let me down under certain conditions.  If light is low, a moving train will be blurred like in the photo below.  Thought I would post it anyway. It is 11:09 AM at Mile 19.9 on March 9 when the 302 and 304 leave siding 3 with a string of empties.  The engines were mu'd moments before after being apart for a number of weeks.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Mile19.9.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2010, 11:06pm by Sidewinder » Logged
Sidewinder
Historian
  Woss-3.jpg - 186700 Bytes
« Reply #291 on: Mar 17th, 2010, 10:21pm »

on Mar 17th, 2010, 1:07am, Mill_Bay wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I still find them interesting, even if they aren't wood.

I like the combined road-rail aspect of most of them. It's actually a good inspiration for anyone looking for modelling ideas.

Oh, ya, me too.  Don't get me wrong.  I will photograph any of the steel bridges given the opportunity.  You used the word artistic and, in my opinion, the wooden bridges are more artsy than the steel versions.

Here is an early road-rail bridge being built near Woss in the mid-fifties.  Interesting that the aerial photo was taken about the same time.  The spar tree shows the bridge-building technique using a sky line.  There is a tank car supplying fuel to the unit at the base of the tree.  The photos have been in a closet for 50 years.  The owner was kind enough to share her husbands photos.  Largest colour slides I have ever seen!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Woss-3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #292 on: Mar 17th, 2010, 10:46pm »

Excellent find, Sidewinder.

Mill_Bay
Enthusiast

« Reply #293 on: Mar 20th, 2010, 1:32pm »

That is a really incredible scene.  

A perfect illustration of the totally independent logging railway that can do everything for itself.  

I really like the suspension bridge alongside it allowing foot traffic for the bridge construction.

I was actually mostly referring to the wood bridges anyway, when I used the word artistic.
 It would be great to see more scenes of the old wooden ones.

CLC Fan

View Profile  

« Reply #294 on: Mar 20th, 2010, 2:38pm »

on Mar 17th, 2010, 10:07pm, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Looks like you managed to get a Monday off.  Were the engines tied up already by the time you got to Beaver Cove?

Nice crisp clear pictures.  My point and shoot can let me down under certain conditions.  If light is low, a moving train will be blurred like in the photo below.

Yes, they were tied up by the time I got there in the early afternoon.  I spent some time exploring the section between just south of Markusen's Crossing and north to Twin Bridges and then up near the Beaver Cove/Hwy 19 intersection before I got there.  

You're not alone!  I too find it challenging to take low light action pics.  They almost always turn out blurred on my Canon.  I haven't quite found the right settings for optimal results yet, but i'll keep trying!  

I echo MillBays sentiments on the slides!  Those are great and expose a lot of history I wasn't aware of.    Pass on our thanks to the photographers family for sharing.

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2010, 2:40pm by CLC Fan » Logged
Sidewinder
Historian
  DavieRiver.jpg - 210750 Bytes
« Reply #295 on: Mar 21st, 2010, 1:35am »

on Mar 20th, 2010, 1:32pm, Mill_Bay wrote:       (Click here for original message)

It would be great to see more scenes of the old wooden ones.

Here are a few from June 27, 1990. Seems to me it was not long until the wooden bridge over the Davie River was replaced.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/DavieRiver.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Sidewinder
Historian
  Cove-2.jpg - 124045 Bytes
« Reply #296 on: Mar 21st, 2010, 1:53am »

on Mar 20th, 2010, 2:38pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yes, they were tied up by the time I got there in the early afternoon.  I spent some time exploring the section between just south of Markusen's Crossing and north to Twin Bridges and then up near the Beaver Cove/Hwy 19 intersection before I got there.  

You're not alone!  I too find it challenging to take low light action pics.  They almost always turn out blurred on my Canon.  I haven't quite found the right settings for optimal results yet, but i'll keep trying!  

I echo MillBays sentiments on the slides!  Those are great and expose a lot of history I wasn't aware of.    Pass on our thanks to the photographers family for sharing.

We were standing close to the same spot as you just before noon of February 19.  The crew was preparing to tie up with a few moves taking place after this photo.

I still carry a SLR with slide film when I need predictability.  Processing the slides is a problem and there is not a film out there that can replace the old Kodachromes.

The history you mentioned.  Do you mean the rail-road bridge over the Nimpkish River? The Woss reload at one time was close to the campground at Woss Lake. Trains used to pass through Woss.  I have a  1979 photo of an empty train passing through Woss heading for the lake, but never did get a chance to photograph any kind of train on the bridge. The "new" Woss reload was in service during our next visit to the area in 1981 and the line to the lake was gone.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Cove-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2010, 1:57am by Sidewinder » Logged
Mill_Bay
Enthusiast

« Reply #297 on: Mar 30th, 2010, 11:48pm »

on Mar 21st, 2010, 1:35am, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Here are a few from June 27, 1990. Seems to me it was not long until the wooden bridge over the Davie River was replaced.  

Wow! There's almost as much timber in the river as there is in the bridge in those images.

Sidewinder
Historian
  DaveRiverSteel.jpg - 35034 Bytes
« Reply #298 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 12:16am »

on Mar 30th, 2010, 11:48pm, Mill_Bay wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Wow! There's almost as much timber in the river as there is in the bridge in those images.

Yes, wood seems to find its way into water courses where there is logging activity.  That is the second location for the Davie River bridge.  The first was upstream from the present location.  There is a remote possibly that some of the logs you see in the river are remnants from the first bridge.

Went looking for a photo of the present day steel bridge but it would seem there isn't one in my collection except this freeze-frame (facing north) from a VHS tape from 1992.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/DaveRiverSteel.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CLC Fan

View Profile  

IMG_3418A.jpg - 195595 Bytes
« Reply #299 on: Apr 8th, 2010, 11:45pm »

Well, at long last and after numerous tries I finally got to chase a train.    I spent the afternoon exploring and chasing a train from Beaver Cove to Camp-A Reload and then back to Siding 3 when it finally got too dark and I ran out of space on my memory card.

Here's the train leaving Beaver Cove with a load of empties.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_3418A.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »