Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 23rd, 2017, 10:26am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.  (Read 35131 times)
Brakeman302
Former Member
Re: CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.

« Reply #260 on: Nov 21st, 2009, 10:38am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I have had a chance to "ring" the ol girls bell on a few occasions not too long ago. It was nice to see some of  the railway employees come out of there offices to look and see if the ol girl was alive. Kinda gave me shivers down my spine. Just don't hear that kinda bell anymore.

on Nov 20th, 2009, 5:27pm, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Your comments, MinionII and CN8863, got me thinking about the time the 113 was removed from the pedestal in Woss so she could be the star attraction at the company's 50th anniversary celebrations.  I used the word restoration a few replies back which was probably a poor choice.  To quote CN8863, "They would probably have to completely restore it like they did in 1988."  There was no "complete restoration".

After asking around to get a feel for what fans remember of the events in 1988, it would seem the main concern was the condition of the bearings and running gear after sitting so long, though, you would not think that was the case since the steamer was hauled at a pretty good clip behind the 302 on the way to Nimpkish.  No-one remembers anything major like tubes needing attention, though, I want to say there were a few broken stay bolts.  The boiler jacket and lagging were not touched.  There are dents in the jacket that have been there since the 113's days at Chemainus over half a century ago.  I recall an issue with the trailing truck one season.  If I remember correctly, the metallurgy of the wheel set was no longer approved but the wheels could remain in service until it was time to do truck repairs.  Once the truck reached the point where something had to be done, it was necessary to find a new wheel set.

So really, the preparation needed to get the old girl back into steam was mainly cosmetic.  Wouldn't be surprised if there was more money spent restoring (in this case the word applies) the coach, the Grey Ghost.  The engine was duly moth-balled for the sit on the pedestal in Woss long before 1988.  I suspect it is in the same preserved state today and the engine's appearance is not as serious as you might think.  The drains have been pulled from the mud rings.  So, chances are, the 113 needs only a fire in her belly to return to glory.  One of the team members who will be involved with the 113 when it arrives in Port Alberni thinks it will only require an "external" with an "internal" done in a year or two.

So, CN8863, the 15 years out in the weather is probably no big deal.  A bit of paint, a few plugs put back in place, water in the glass, flames in the firebox and the whistle will be echoing off the hills once again. Here's hoping!

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #261 on: Nov 24th, 2009, 12:32am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Nov 20th, 2009, 5:27pm, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

No-one remembers anything major like tubes needing attention, though, I want to say there were a few broken stay bolts.

I lied, as it was learned today.  Some of the boiler tubes were replaced.

cycledude
Railfan

« Reply #262 on: Dec 2nd, 2009, 11:57am »

Great photo! Thanks for climbing up the hill to make it so. Thnx for the Englewood Nimpkish  
GPS Coordinates: 50°20'13.80"N 126°54'52.60"W

Mark J
Railfan

« Reply #263 on: Dec 27th, 2009, 4:33pm »

I came across this picture today
http://www.pbase.com/semaphore7/image/106005081

tfctrains
Historian
  CFP_Images_Sept_1986-2.jpg - 87431 Bytes
« Reply #264 on: Jan 2nd, 2010, 1:41am »

Another photo from the Sept 86 trip showing 302 southbound at Maquilla Creek Bridge Mile 50.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CFP_Images_Sept_1986-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2010, 7:51pm by tfctrains » Logged
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #265 on: Jan 16th, 2010, 9:26pm »

truely one of the neatest movies I have seen on Youtube. thank you for that.

KaiserWilhelm
Former Member

« Reply #266 on: Feb 16th, 2010, 5:28am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99VbjraJleo

If this video is a repost, then I appologize. Seeing the 113 in action is a thing of beauty.

cycledude
Railfan

« Reply #267 on: Feb 16th, 2010, 11:23am »

Thanks for the link to the 40-minute video. I watched the first part and will connect my notebook to my 40inch HDTV monitor to view the rest. What an historical treasure this video is!  

KaiserWilhelm
Former Member

« Reply #268 on: Feb 17th, 2010, 3:40am »

Is there a name for the particular type of stack extension/spark reducer that they used on the #113? I'd like to pick something similar up for one of my engines, but need to know what I'm looking for first.

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2010, 3:45am by KaiserWilhelm » Logged
ENRFAN
Historian
  DSC06058_720x405.jpg - 90068 Bytes
« Reply #269 on: Feb 17th, 2010, 9:41am »

Here are a string of cars in the yard at woss. I went up island this weekend to do some camping so I had to stop in at woss for some quick pictures. This picture was taken on Feb 14 2010

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/DSC06058_720x405.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENRFAN
Historian
  DSC06057_960x540.jpg - 137695 Bytes
« Reply #270 on: Feb 17th, 2010, 9:45am »

here is a good one. Picture taken on Feb 14,2010

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (137695 bytes, 960x540 pixels)

Click Here to View Image DSC06057_960x540.jpg - 137695 Bytes

ENRFAN
Historian
  DSC06056_720x405.jpg - 69402 Bytes
« Reply #271 on: Feb 17th, 2010, 9:50am »

One more, taken on the same day,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/DSC06056_720x405.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #272 on: Feb 18th, 2010, 11:00pm »

thats pretty awsome!, to bad I missed it. i sure would have liked to see that. I would Also have to say that Madill sure was a nice piece of equipment. Thanks for posting.

Sidewinder
Historian
  Cove.jpg - 177088 Bytes
« Reply #273 on: Feb 20th, 2010, 1:17am »

The 304 arrives Beaver Cove with six "hot-loaded" cars from Mile 8 while the 302 sits sidelined with a faulty traction motor.  February 19, 2010

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Cove.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CLC Fan

View Profile  

CanforGoldCreekFire1975.jpg - 51336 Bytes
« Reply #274 on: Mar 5th, 2010, 2:31am »

I'm often surprised by the people I sometimes meet while on the job.  Yesterday I was in someones home when I noticed a picture on the wall with a vaguely familiar scene.  Turns out the gentleman used to work on the Canfor line building bridges for 35 years until his retirement in 1985.

Sometime around 1975 the bridge over Gold Creek near Woss caught fire. A worker was cutting a bolt off with a grinder which got very hot.  It fell down between the timbers before he could catch it, it ignited the creosote soaked wood.  It burned all night and people as far away as Port McNeill drove down to see the spectacle.

Repair was time consuming and difficult (cost approx $800,000) and required shaving off the charred surface.  Rail movements were still required and what they would do was have an engine push the cars across to a waiting engine on the other side which took it from there.  The weight restrictions prevented the units from crossing the bridge while it was being repaired.

I apologize for the quality of the following two pics, there are some reflections of the room behind me as I was taking a picture of a picture.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CanforGoldCreekFire1975.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2010, 2:35am by CLC Fan » Logged
CLC Fan

View Profile  

CanforGoldCreek1975.jpg - 79418 Bytes
« Reply #275 on: Mar 5th, 2010, 2:32am »

Bridge being repaired...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CanforGoldCreek1975.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Sidewinder
Historian
  GoldCreek.jpg - 133021 Bytes
« Reply #276 on: Mar 8th, 2010, 10:37pm »

on Mar 5th, 2010, 2:32am, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Bridge being repaired...

It seems I met a fellow with photos to complement Garrah's pictures.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/GoldCreek.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2010, 11:23am by Sidewinder » Logged
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #277 on: Mar 9th, 2010, 12:09am »

great pictures guys! The scenery on the north end of the island is pretty spectacular. i have plans to one day build a model railway that would expand the canfor system to Tahsis and Gold River! one day

Sidewinder
Historian
  NimpkishXing.jpg - 157868 Bytes
« Reply #278 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 11:42am »

on Mar 10th, 2010, 11:56pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Fantastic pics, Sidewinder.  I was told they were taken by a foreman (I didn't catch the name but he did mention it).

I suspect the foreman you mention is the fellow who gave me a copy of the "bridge on fire" photo.  I didn't ask permission to post it so it seemed best to pull it.  Your post tells the story anyway.  The bridge construction photos came from a different source.

Two crews are working once again.  The MU'd pair where teamed up to work the north end on Tuesday (9th) after being apart for quite a few weeks.  The 301 is worked the south end.  Since there is only one reload in operation (Woss), the inactivity on the line to Vernon Camp provided an opportunity to do some ballasting.  The photo shows the ballast train entering the H line southbound for Vernon.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/NimpkishXing.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #279 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 10:08pm »

Thank you for all of the updated Photo's.  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »