Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 28th, 2017, 8:19am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.  (Read 35685 times)
dhengnr
TRAINing
Re: CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.

« Reply #240 on: Sep 25th, 2009, 8:02pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Sep 25th, 2009, 12:03am, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Have not heard if the railway is back to work after the summer shutdown.

Thank you for the reply.  

regards

chad tyk
locomotive engineer
Canadian Pacific Railway
Kirkwood, NY USA

CLC Fan

View Profile  

BeavCoveOct5.jpg - 138174 Bytes
« Reply #241 on: Oct 15th, 2009, 12:24am »

All appears well at Beaver Cove last week.  Unfortunately I only got a couple of pix and was unable to fulfill my plan of chasing the train south that evening.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/BeavCoveOct5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2009, 12:27am by CLC Fan » Logged
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #242 on: Oct 15th, 2009, 9:16am »

Nice shot! I really like that railway.

Sidewinder
Historian
  ShopRoad.jpg - 134395 Bytes
« Reply #243 on: Nov 4th, 2009, 9:52pm »

It was a great fall day in the Nimpkish Valley.  Caught the 301 southbound from Siding 6 with a string of empties and the scale test car (the load of rail is actually the scale test load) bound for Vernon.  The train is at the Shop Road crossing, M37.05.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/ShopRoad.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Sidewinder
Historian
  NimpkishRoad.jpg - 190166 Bytes
« Reply #244 on: Nov 5th, 2009, 11:30am »

on Nov 4th, 2009, 9:52pm, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Caught the 301 southbound from Siding 6 with a string of empties and the scale test car (the load of rail is actually the scale test load) bound for Vernon.

After spending a number of hours working the south end of the claim, the 301 returns to Woss in the afternoon with a string of 24 loads bound for Siding 6.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/NimpkishRoad.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Sidewinder
Historian
  meet.jpg - 162399 Bytes
« Reply #245 on: Nov 10th, 2009, 3:00pm »

Speeder 123 waits in track 2 of Siding 4 for the arrival of the 302/304 with a string of 65 empties bound for the southend reloads.  45 cars were left in track 1 and the remaining 20 taken to Siding 6. November 9, 2009

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/meet.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2009, 1:45pm by Sidewinder » Logged
Sidewinder
Historian
  Speeder-2.jpg - 196763 Bytes
« Reply #246 on: Nov 10th, 2009, 11:22pm »

Backing out of Siding 4 northbound to tend to track maintenance approx. 1 mile away.  The string of 45 empties is visible in the distance.

Timberland#7, here is some info to illustrate the Hayes/Gibson relationship.
The 123 body is a Hayes product mounted on Gibson s/n 257 model LO running gear.  CFP bought the speeder new from the Vancouver Equipment Corp. in February 1948 for $13,385.  Coming up to 61 years of service!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Speeder-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #247 on: Nov 11th, 2009, 12:33am »

Isnt it intresting sidewinder the quality equipment that has lasted over the years that was built in british columbia.Like our B.C. ferries that have lasted 45 years now we build them in Germany.

tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #248 on: Nov 11th, 2009, 2:40am »

on Nov 10th, 2009, 11:22pm, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Backing out of Siding 4 northbound to tend to track maintenance approx. 1 mile away.  The string of 45 empties is visible in the distance.

Timberland#7, here is some info to illustrate the Hayes/Gibson relationship.
The 123 body is a Hayes product mounted on Gibson s/n 257 model LO running gear.  CFP bought the speeder new from the Vancouver Equipment Corp. in February 1948 for $13,385.  Coming up to 61 years of service!

Great pictures, the reflection in the pond reminds me of the efforts of Dave Wilkie, it is too bad the speeder still were not yellow. Coming up 61 years? I was born in Oct 1948 and I think I am all ready 61. I think it is you that is coming 61. 123 is coming up 62.

Great pictures, the reflection in the pond reminds me of the efforts of Dave Wilkie, it is to bad the speeders still were not yellow. Coming up 61 years? I was born in Oct 1948 and I think I am all ready 61. I think it is you that is coming up 61. 123 is coming up 62.

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2009, 2:47am by tfctrains » Logged
cycledude
Railfan
  yellow_speeder.jpg - 118124 Bytes
« Reply #249 on: Nov 11th, 2009, 12:11pm »

" . . .  it is to bad the speeders still were not yellow."
Here's one at BCFDC  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/yellow_speeder.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Sidewinder
Historian
  HLRF2.jpg - 240966 Bytes
« Reply #250 on: Nov 11th, 2009, 1:41pm »

on Nov 11th, 2009, 12:33am, timberland#7 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Isnt it intresting sidewinder the quality equipment that has lasted over the years that was built in british columbia.Like our B.C. ferries that have lasted 45 years now we build them in Germany.

Ya, that can hurt a guy's head, alright!  The pride of the fleet..... made in Germany.

Here is the July 15, 2009 "Hot Loading" collage that disappeared on you.  This process of loading logs directly onto railcars was more common 50 years ago.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/HLRF2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2009, 10:22pm by Sidewinder » Logged
MinionII
Historian

« Reply #251 on: Nov 11th, 2009, 9:15pm »

I like that log loading shot Sidewinder, very nice.

Andrew

Sidewinder
Historian
  dumps.jpg - 159943 Bytes
« Reply #252 on: Nov 15th, 2009, 8:10pm »

A couple of the old Burlington Route ballast cars showed up in Woss.  Thought they were no longer on the claim.  They are destined for scrap unless someone rescues them.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/dumps.jpg
Click Image to Resize

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #253 on: Nov 16th, 2009, 12:57am »

thanks for reposting sidewinder its to bad direct railcar loading is such a rarity now . Probably my favourite recent photo of any railway.

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #254 on: Nov 18th, 2009, 12:37am »

Sidewinder you might know this. Has there ever been something that resembles 113 in ho scale. I know and have some baldwins that have been done  but dont know of any Alco 2-8-2. Browns book doesnt specify the models manufactor,any help. Thanks timberland #7

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #255 on: Nov 18th, 2009, 2:11am »

Steam whistles sound great  

So, does that make it nearly 20 years since 113 was in steam?
Why couldn't they have parked her in a shed and done whatever maintenance would have been necessary to keep a dormant locomotive close to operational?

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #256 on: Nov 18th, 2009, 11:17pm »

on Nov 18th, 2009, 2:11am, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Steam whistles sound great  

So, does that make it nearly 20 years since 113 was in steam?
Why couldn't they have parked her in a shed and done whatever maintenance would have been necessary to keep a dormant locomotive close to operational?

MinionII, the last run was in 94 or 95 so one could say it is around 15 years since the 113 was in steam.  It was hauled from Woss to Nimpkish in 1988 for restoration. Tfctrains and I took the day off work so we could follow the train (302 pulling the 113 backwards with an idler flat between).  Rather a strange sight, the 113 clanking along with atomized oil wafting from the stack giving the illusion the engine was under steam.  Perhaps it would be an idea to post the video we took on Youtube?

Things weren't the same after there was a change of command at corporate headquarters.  The 113 fell out of favour.  The steam crew retired.  Those remaining lost heart, perhaps.  There are no storage facilities at Woss.  You could probably answer your question, though, with one word: money.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #257 on: Nov 19th, 2009, 12:14am »

How extensive was the overhaul to get her back into steam in '88?

I hate to see the investment in restoring her wasted like that.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #258 on: Nov 19th, 2009, 1:13am »

on Nov 19th, 2009, 12:14am, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)
How extensive was the overhaul to get her back into steam in '88?

I agree, and almost 15 years in the Vancouver Island climate can't be good. They would probably have to completely restore it like they did in 1988. I've heard rumors of Alberni Pacific wanting it, as it is the ex-APR No.6 but whether or not they have the money to move and restore it is another question.  

I would think they'd either have to truck 113 to Courtenay and by rail to Alberni, truck 113 to Alberni, barge 113 to Nanaimo and by rail or truck to Alberni, or barge 113 to Alberni. Either way it would be a fair chunk of change for such a move.

« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2009, 1:17am by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #259 on: Nov 20th, 2009, 5:27pm »

on Nov 19th, 2009, 1:13am, cn8863 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

From cn8863:  I agree, and almost 15 years in the Vancouver Island climate can't be good. They would probably have to completely restore it like they did in 1988. I've heard rumors of Alberni Pacific wanting it, as it is the ex-APR No.6 but whether or not they have the money to move and restore it is another question.  

I would think they'd either have to truck 113 to Courtenay and by rail to Alberni, truck 113 to Alberni, barge 113 to Nanaimo and by rail or truck to Alberni, or barge 113 to Alberni. Either way it would be a fair chunk of change for such a move.

From MinionII:  How extensive was the overhaul to get her back into steam in '88?  

Your comments, MinionII and CN8863, got me thinking about the time the 113 was removed from the pedestal in Woss so she could be the star attraction at the company's 50th anniversary celebrations.  I used the word restoration a few replies back which was probably a poor choice.  To quote CN8863, "They would probably have to completely restore it like they did in 1988."  There was no "complete restoration".

After asking around to get a feel for what fans remember of the events in 1988, it would seem the main concern was the condition of the bearings and running gear after sitting so long, though, you would not think that was the case since the steamer was hauled at a pretty good clip behind the 302 on the way to Nimpkish.  No-one remembers anything major like tubes needing attention, though, I want to say there were a few broken stay bolts.  The boiler jacket and lagging were not touched.  There are dents in the jacket that have been there since the 113's days at Chemainus over half a century ago.  I recall an issue with the trailing truck one season.  If I remember correctly, the metallurgy of the wheel set was no longer approved but the wheels could remain in service until it was time to do truck repairs.  Once the truck reached the point where something had to be done, it was necessary to find a replacement wheel set.

So really, the preparation needed to get the old girl back into steam was mainly cosmetic.  Wouldn't be surprised if there was more money spent restoring (in this case the word applies) the coach, the Grey Ghost.  The engine was duly moth-balled for the sit on the pedestal in Woss long before 1988.  I suspect it is in the same preserved state today and the engine's appearance is not as serious as you might think.  The drains have been pulled from the mud rings.  So, chances are, the 113 needs only a fire in her belly to return to glory.  One of the team members who will be involved with the 113 when it arrives in Port Alberni thinks it will only require an "external" with an "internal" done in a year or two.

So, CN8863, the 15 years out in the weather is probably no big deal.  A bit of paint, a few plugs put back in place, water in the glass, flames in the firebox and the whistle will be echoing off the hills once again. Here's hoping!

« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2009, 12:13am by Sidewinder » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »