Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 21st, 2017, 4:15am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.  (Read 36499 times)
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

Re: CANFOR Logging Pics.

« Reply #100 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 11:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Try contacting Roman at Preserved Steam BC ( members.shaw.ca/preservedsteamBC/index.htm ). He would be knowledgeable on who would be involved locally. He could likely put you in touch with existing groups.
I assume you're interested in restoring a steam locomotive based on your comments in this thread.

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #101 on: Mar 26th, 2007, 1:54am »

Been there done that i would love to work on restoring 112. Besides having good trades  people you need good people with organizing and managment skills for funding and donations even with volunteers you still need money to get rolling. The biggest set back is the location you need to move the loci to a central location. If you get that far Im in.

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #102 on: Apr 7th, 2007, 12:17am »

Since those things have sat for 29 years, what is the point of moving them now and also why remove the spur now?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

CN7059
Historian

« Reply #103 on: Apr 7th, 2007, 4:03am »

on Apr 7th, 2007, 12:17am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Since those things have sat for 29 years, what is the point of moving them now and also why remove the spur now?

Have you seen the price of scrap steel lately?

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #104 on: Apr 7th, 2007, 8:53am »

Excellent pics again, CLC Fan. Interesting subject again as well.

Its sure nice to see 'ol 303 get used again, its been quite a while since it moved away from Woss. I haven't been there in at least two years and it hadn't moved in that time. It was starting to feel like it had been added to the 112 & 113 collection.
As for the equipment they've pulled from the siding, is the company on a scrap drive? Any idea why they're ripping up that siding?

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #105 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 4:46am »

Nice to see them fire up the 303. She's got to be the last unit with her original EMD 567.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Jayturf
Enthusiast

« Reply #106 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 7:48pm »

does anyone know of any detailed maps of wfp's railroad (yards, spurs, etc.)

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #107 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 4:21am »

on Apr 15th, 2007, 2:29am, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

And a little bit of info on #303, the dynamic brakes don't work on it at the moment so it is being used as a yard switcher at Beaver Cove for now.  It's also is the only unit with its original engine.

What's happening with the 302? Is it being stored dead?

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
North49
Former Member

« Reply #108 on: Apr 17th, 2007, 4:48am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

thats some pretty archaic looking peices of equipment....bet they'd fetch some good money for scrap!

CLC Fan

View Profile  

IMG_3369.jpg - 138020 Bytes
« Reply #109 on: May 15th, 2007, 6:25pm »

I did a 3 day backpacking trip to the north Island last week, awesome weather, lots of wildlife, and I got a little railfanning in on the side.  On thursday evening I started my drive south and diverted off to Beaver Cove to check on things.  No train present so I returned to my original drive back home.  Got to Camp A Reload and saw the yard was completely empty.. that told me a train had left earlier.  Argh..!  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_3369.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2008, 1:28am by CLC Fan » Logged
CLC Fan

View Profile  

IMG_3380.jpg - 142351 Bytes
« Reply #110 on: May 15th, 2007, 6:34pm »

Contemplated on just continuing on home.... naww...!  Turned around and whipped back to Beaver Cove and saw that the train had arrived and was refueling.  Some good news, WFP just completed a cost-effectiveness study of the rail line and it is expected to continue rail operations for some time to come.  Sounds like the fuel savings and efficiency is the real reason.  In one trip alone the engines used up something like only 200 litres of diesel.  No logging truck can match that.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_3380.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CLC Fan

View Profile  

IMG_3377.jpg - 149116 Bytes
« Reply #111 on: May 15th, 2007, 6:36pm »

The crew had to wait for the yard guys to unload the last of the cars... always an impressive sight to see.  Especially in a setting sun.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_3377.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2007, 6:36pm by CLC Fan » Logged
CLC Fan

View Profile  

IMG_3406.jpg - 130236 Bytes
« Reply #112 on: May 15th, 2007, 6:39pm »

Last picture, just too dark for the camera.  The engines have pulled out the empties and shoved the loaded ones in, and are about to back onto the empties again and proceed back to Camp-A Reload.  I snagged a vid clip of it pulling away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPfX6o__Dag

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_3406.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2007, 6:45pm by CLC Fan » Logged
CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #113 on: May 16th, 2007, 1:53am »

VERY nice pics, CLC.  Thanks for adding the railfanning to the end of your backpacking trip.   Where did you go, by the way?

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
rocko59
Chaser

« Reply #114 on: May 16th, 2007, 2:52am »

Very Nice pics, Thanks for sharing them with us. The cyberworld is great, we can see so many sights that we would miss out on due to travel or time. Great vids too!!   Russell

West Kootenay shortline fan, CPR, Kaslo & Slocan , any BC steam & logging esp Vanc Isl, HO modeller building scale model of #1077. My Dad was a machinist in the Big mill at Chemainus in the 20's - 40's worked on the log RR equipment. Started with cab rides at BC Forest Museum in early 60's!
CN7059
Historian

« Reply #115 on: May 16th, 2007, 3:09am »

on May 15th, 2007, 6:36pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The crew had to wait for the yard guys to unload the last of the cars... always an impressive sight to see.  Especially in a setting sun.

I have ridden on one of those machines. They are incredibly powerful, and the drivers are something else entirely. I also rode one of the Cat's and the acceleration of those machines is incredible.

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

jgarcia
TRAINing

« Reply #116 on: May 24th, 2007, 9:22pm »

I'm thinking of heading to the Island next week to photograph the Englewood log trains - anyone know if they'll be operating?  I'd hate to travel all that way and find them shut down for a time.

Thanks.

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #117 on: May 25th, 2007, 12:56am »

Great pics as always CLC.

Good news that WFP isn't going to truck.   Another factor affecting rail's efficiency is that the wages of driver's is going up and there isn't enough of them, or so I've been told.   You only need three guys on that train.   How many trucker's wages would it take to haul all those logs?   How many truckers are looking for a job in Woss?

The train just makes so much sense in their situation.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #118 on: May 25th, 2007, 1:18am »

Didn't Canfor do a similar study a few years ago, with the same results?

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
prairie_dog_central
Railfan

« Reply #119 on: May 25th, 2007, 1:33am »

Fantastic photos!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »