Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 19th, 2017, 3:35am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CANFOR/WFP(Englewood railway) Logging Pics.  (Read 36485 times)
SRY 110
Historian
View Profile  

Canfor_Camp_A_Reload_301-304_3.jpg - 97048 Bytes
« on: Apr 5th, 2004, 8:52pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I was up there this winter and things are looking pretty sad there they are only using 1 or 2 units the other 2 have tarps on them.  This was taken last winter.  I work for Timber West Elk Falls and from what I hear the Raiway wotn be running for too long, they recieve a 500 000 grant from the goverment and word is that it might be getting taken away.  So go see it while you can!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Canfor_Camp_A_Reload_301-304_3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2010, 9:49pm by cn2220 » Logged

More focus on the positive...less on the negative..
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

Re: CANFOR Logging Pics.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 12:51am »

Those pictures sure bring back memories of my trips to Port Hardy as kid back when I lived in Campbell River. Thanks for the great pics KVR_Fan  

Jason King
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 2:10am »

on Apr 5th, 2004, 8:52pm, enr3004 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 I work for Timber West Elk Falls and from what I hear the Raiway wotn be running for too long

That's interesting. I was up there a couple summers ago scouting the location for a possible video shoot for a project we're working on, and got a ride in a hi-rail along most of the line. The guy who showed me around said that they had considered getting rid of the railway and commisioned a study and it came back saying that using rail was half the cost of trucking. They have poured alot of money into the line over the past few years including some fairly major rock cuts to realign the track so I'd be surprised if they were to abandon it though if the supply of logs is dwindling then maybe that is the reason?

Cheers.

J\

Jason King
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 2:11am »

Oh, also thought I'd mention that when I was there, they were only running two units, the ones that had been rebuilt with Cat engines so perhaps two units is the normal operation?

J\

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 9:37pm »

Awesome pics logging trains are always cool looking!

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 1:14am »

Any ideas out there as to Canfor's current operations?

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 5:36pm »

Also what kind of Caboose is that I never seen one like that All I know is thats its neat looking

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
caboose9
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 3:53pm »

BC&A Railway said, "What kind of caboose is that?"

Hi,

In the US that would likely be classed as a transfer caboose.

Cheers, Roger

S. Roger Kirkpatrick, Cortez, CO - Gateway to Mesa Verde National Park
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 4:03pm »

Thanks Roger

BC&A RR

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 7:20pm »

I think he term is "home built".  When stuck in the middle of nowhere (as 99% or logging railways were), if you needed something and didn't have it, you simply made it.

preservedsteambc
Railfan

« Reply #10 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 5:58pm »

on Jan 14th, 2005, 12:05am, KVR Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Also, rumour has it that an attempt to aquire Canfor's steam engine in Woss was made by the Kettle Valley steam operation people in Summerland.  Canfor rejected their offer and the steamer remains on the Island.  No word as to what Canfor is going to do with it yet.  I suspect they may still do some very limited action with it during summertime (employee family outings, etc).

The Kettle Valley Steam Railway (which I'm a member of) isn't the only group that's intersted or was interested in acquiring the #113. The Western Vancouver Island Industrial Heritage Society in Port Alberni is interested in obtaining it since it used to be Alberni Pacific #6. The Prince George Railway and Forestry Museum is also interested in obtaining it and the mueseum is supported by Canfor. Ross Rowland, who was trying to get Pacific Wilderness Railway going out of Victoria, was interested in it for use on the PWR. I've heard various rumours about the locomotive and the rumour that I've heard the most is that Canfor is willing to give it to a group that would operate it but the people that live in Woss don't want to give it up.

I went to Woss this past August and couldn't believe the condition that it was in. I was there 5 years prior and I couldn't believe how much it deteriorated in those 5 years. It really made me mad so I decided that some action is necessary to save the engine. I've already made a presentation last September to the newly formed BC Council of Heritage Railway Socities (which I'm a founding member of) and everybody seemed keen on taking on the project of saving the engine. During my reading break (I'm a full time college student) in February I'll be putting a small website together with the photos that I took of #113. What really bugs me is, if the people of Woss like the engine so much, why don't they take proper care of it?

As for getting it operational for rides again, it will need some work for that to happen. Lagging would have to come off and the boiler would have to be inspected. I noticed that the wash plugs were still in place so who knows how much water was sitting in the boiler for the last 10 years that it's been out of service.

Roman
Preserved! Steam Locomotives of British Columbia
http://members.shaw.ca/preservedsteambc/
Cody
Historian
View Profile  

beavercove4.jpg - 54505 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 2:30am »

I was in Woss today (December 20th 2005) and managed to wedge some railfanning into my travel for work.

I had my usual amount of luck when railfanning on Vancouver Island.  In other words it poured rain and there were no trains running.....arrgh.  It appears the railway has taken an early Christmas break.

Anyways, I had fun regardless and got some pics I wouldn't have otherwise if the operation was in full swing.

The word is the Canfor Englewood Division railway appears in very good health.   The line looks fantastic.  The rails have a full polish (even on the sidings), there are hundreds of cars waiting at all sidings and reloads (some loaded and some not) , the ballast is spotless, and perhaps every sixth tye has been replaced with a modern rot-proof steel tye.   Many of the wooden tyes also appear like-new.  Even in the deepest parts of the woods the steel tyes are everywhere and the ballast looks scrubbed clean.

My first visit to the Canfor loggin railway leaves me amazed at how many log cars they have and the scope of the operation.  There cars must number in the hundreds.  This railway is truly a cut-log pipeline on rails.  I hope to catch the action one day.

I am going to post quite a few pics.  I will post them geographically, in the order I took them, from Beaver Cove to the end of my 'fanning at Woss.   This is the direction empty cars would travel back towards the Vernon reload after dumping in tidewater.    

All photos were taken on the same day so all equipment you see is placed around the railway all at the same time.  This gives a good sense of the size of the operation.  Keep in mind I only scoped out half of the railway with the line south of Woss to the Vernon reload not photographed.

I find it ironic that on Vancouver Island the passengers and Hazmat travel on the lumpy-rotted-tye-nightmare-held-together-with-Scotch-broom E and N and the logs travel on a class 1.   The money's in the logs!

The first pic:   Log dump at Beaver Cove

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/beavercove4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2005, 3:31am by Cody » Logged
Cody
Historian
View Profile  

beavercove2.jpg - 70817 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 2:35am »

Putting the logs in the water

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/beavercove2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

beavercove3.jpg - 72212 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 2:36am »

loaded cars at Beaver Cover

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/beavercove3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

beavercove5.jpg - 82554 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 2:38am »

A caboose at Beaver Cove on the Canadian Forest Products Englewood Logging Division Railway

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/beavercove5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

beavercove1.jpg - 66119 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 2:41am »

A mind boggling string of log flats on the siding at Beaver Cove.  Anyone know how many of these cars Canfor has?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/beavercove1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

abovenimpkishlake.jpg - 67814 Bytes
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 2:43am »

Here is a pic up in the woods above Nimpkish lake.   The line looks well maintained.   A close look will reveal the steel ties amongst the wood ones.  Look for the sprung rail clamps.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/abovenimpkishlake.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2005, 12:42pm by Cody » Logged
Cody
Historian
View Profile  

storybridge3.jpg - 96047 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 2:46am »

This section of ballast was bright white with crushed quartz.  Ballast can be exciting when there are no trains!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/storybridge3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

storybridge.jpg - 73814 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 2:48am »

The Storey Creek bridge.   The bridge is dual-service for trucks and trains.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/storybridge.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

storybridge2.jpg - 59173 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 2:49am »

Dual service deck of the Storey creek bridge:

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/storybridge2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »