Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 13th, 2017, 9:17pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CN pics
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   CN pics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  30 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CN pics  (Read 32545 times)
cn2220
Historian
Re: CN pics

« Reply #60 on: Apr 7th, 2005, 10:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Apr 7th, 2005, 9:25pm, Coastrail wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Interestingly to note, that 3 years after this picture was taken, CN abandoned the track from the Pat Bay junction to Colwood.  
Aaron

I don't think they abandoned the line between the Wye and Colwood, they just removed the bridges from service. The rails were there until at least 1983.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #61 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 2:39am »

Abandonment did not come until the late 70's.  I was looking at a timetable from 1978 that showed the entire Cowichan Sub, even though there was a footnote stating that movements between Mile 1.9 and Mile 7.9(?) had to be authorized by the Sup't.  Basically, it had the same status at the Port Sub does today, there but not used.

torch
Historian

« Reply #62 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 9:00am »

it was the colquitz creek bridge near tillicum.it was being rebuilt but i guess cn felt it wasnt worth the cost of finishing...i recall seeing this bridge throughout the 70s only half done...missing the centre steel girderspan and whatnot.that photo by ross looks like it may have been a couple years later than stated because i dont think cn started using the "wet noodle" logo until 1965..i may be wrong tho.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #63 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 4:24am »

Hey,  
Wasnt there a steam train excursion on the CN back in the 60's? I know that the museum train came in the 70's on the E&N.
If the roundhouse is fixed up to be a working train museum, there should be models of both the CN and E&N yards. Wasnt the CN yard bigger than the E&N yard. It seems that way, judging by the picture. The diagrams I have seem to show that.

Aaron

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #64 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 5:55pm »

on Apr 9th, 2005, 4:24am, Coastrail wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey,  
Wasnt there a steam train excursion on the CN back in the 60's? I know that the museum train came in the 70's on the E&N.
If the roundhouse is fixed up to be a working train museum, there should be models of both the CN and E&N yards. Wasnt the CN yard bigger than the E&N yard. It seems that way, judging by the picture. The diagrams I have seem to show that.

Aaron

It depends, I think the E&N yard at that time was bigger, but if you compare it to the E&N yard now, CN's was definately bigger.  

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
torch
Historian

« Reply #65 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 10:20pm »

i would think that the cnr yard had more trackage and storage tracks than the e&n yard in the 70s and 80s.

CLC Fan

View Profile  

CN_115303.jpg - 46849 Bytes
« Reply #66 on: May 7th, 2005, 5:43pm »

Here's a couple more pics from Ross Pugsley.  He doesn't have too many pictures left to share but he will send them when he finds them.

Date unknown but was taken in the early 1960's near the coal company located on the NW corner of the CNR freight yard, Victoria.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CN_115303.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CLC Fan

View Profile  

CN_boxcars_Victoria.jpg - 48247 Bytes
« Reply #67 on: May 7th, 2005, 5:48pm »

CNR Victoria.  March 25, 1961.  Ross Pugsley photo.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CN_boxcars_Victoria.jpg
Click Image to Resize

torch
Historian

« Reply #68 on: May 7th, 2005, 6:00pm »

wheres the location of the last photo?

vicguy
Historian
  CN_yard-2.jpg - 34269 Bytes
« Reply #69 on: May 12th, 2005, 10:13pm »

Dug this picture up the other day and  had to post it.  I'm guessing I was about 5 years old here, so that puts the year about 1980. It was the military train and for some reason  it was in the CN yard in Victoria, I think thats the upper yard   because of the asphalt. The train also had a steam engine that I think could have been the Royal Hudson.  Theres a pic of me in the cab, but I cant find it. Anybody else remember this? My memory is really fuzzy on this and I probably would have forgotten about it if I didnt have this picture!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CN_yard-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #70 on: May 12th, 2005, 11:44pm »

1980 - not the Royal Hudson, it would have been the Museum Train, which was powered by (ex - Mac Blo) 1077 on Vancouver Island and 3716 for its tour of the rest of the province.  The CN yard was probably used for this (rather than the E&N) because of better public access.

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2005, 11:45pm by CP8673 » Logged
torch
Historian

« Reply #71 on: May 13th, 2005, 12:09am »

i went to visit the museum train in cn's upper yard in 1970 but there was no military stuff.  i even have a pendant keepsake from it saying "musem train 1979"

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #72 on: May 13th, 2005, 12:17am »

I'll trust Torch's physical evidence over my memory as to the year.  It is possible the army equipment was loaded just after the museum train closed (or before it opened)  These moves were an annual event during the "early 80's" sometimes via CNR and sometimes via E&N, they would go the day they were loaded.  I can remember CN working a Saturday just to load the army train on the barge.

torch
Historian

« Reply #73 on: May 13th, 2005, 7:06am »

thats cool.   i figure that back then it was more feasible to load an unload the army stuff in cn's yard. that upper portion of the yard seemed to have much more space than the e&n yard.(well,at least when the upper yard wasnt cluttered with boxcars,as i often saw it!)

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #74 on: Jun 9th, 2005, 1:01am »

The coal company at the CNR yard was Kingham-Gillespie, if you look at the Central Vermont car in the pic you will see KG in chalk marked on it...back when the Victoria turns had many cars i used to walk over when they were swithcing Top shelf to look at the chalk markings on the cars to see where they were going to in Victoria.

CLC Fan

View Profile  

CN_1002a_Victoria_Oct_4_1985.jpg - 70727 Bytes
« Reply #75 on: Jul 16th, 2005, 2:05am »

If only I had stepped back a bit more...  

October 4, 1985.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CN_1002a_Victoria_Oct_4_1985.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #76 on: Jul 21st, 2005, 7:18pm »

One thing neat about the A1A trucks on the GMD1 is that the center idler wheel is a smaller diameter than the two powered wheels.   You can notice this with the difference in height of the bearing caps.

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2005, 7:19pm by Cody » Logged
CLC Fan

View Profile  

CNR992_Victoria_1970.jpg - 44170 Bytes
« Reply #77 on: Nov 26th, 2005, 1:34am »

Victoria, 1970.  Photographer unknown.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CNR992_Victoria_1970.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #78 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 1:02pm »

Nice pic. I didn't realize the G12's were used out of Victoria as well. BTW the hogger on one of the transfers(Lynn Creek to Thornton) I was on last week worked a few times as a brakeman on the Cowichan and Tidewater Subs. He said it was a pretty nice job if you could get it.

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2005, 1:03pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #79 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 3:16pm »

on Dec 3rd, 2005, 1:02pm, CNcndr_Tyler wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Nice pic. I didn't realize the G12's were used out of Victoria as well. BTW the hogger on one of the transfers(Lynn Creek to Thornton) I was on last week worked a few times as a brakeman on the Cowichan and Tidewater Subs. He said it was a pretty nice job if you could get it.

I think is was one of those jobs you either loved or hated, the times I rode along with the Deerholme job, it was usually the same guys working it.  Victoria seemed to have a bit of a rotation week after week, if memory serves me right

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  30 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »