Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 5:55pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CN pics
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   CN pics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CN pics  (Read 30579 times)
Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: CN pics
  Scan_90_838x576.jpg - 68493 Bytes
« Reply #440 on: Feb 21st, 2016, 2:31am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

February 22, 1989, Point Ellice Yard,  Victoria BC [photo by Jamie Masters ]

GMD1 1000 pushing three empty boxcars towards interchange. They had been spotted in the upper yard on the team tracks. Two days later, the last boxcar was removed from the team tracks, and the rails in the upper yard were soon after removed.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_90_838x576.jpg
Click Image to Resize

emilydm
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #441 on: Feb 23rd, 2016, 1:49am »

on Jan 9th, 2016, 5:38pm, Jamie_Masters wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Found an amazing archive of BC railway photos taken by a Mr David Davies.

This is rare photo of a boxcar at Milnes Landing , mile 26.2 CNR Cowichan Sub, from October, 1969. Plenty more like it !
http://search.nbca.unbc.ca/index.php/cnr-vancouver-island-3

This is an amazing goldmine of locations and dates of CN's presence on the island, both before and after abandonment.

I'd like to draw your attention to photo number 15 - http://search.nbca.unbc.ca/uploads/r/northern-bc-archives-special-collections/f/4/d/f4da964fc4b273282c85cae1a0aff0429f445214caae5854536933e7d24338d6/2013_6_36_1_044_15.jpg - taken in Metchosin near the corner of Rocky Point and Kangaroo Roads in August 1979. Note the switch points. The curve of the track and the open-ness of the area doesn't seem to match up with the swampy space between Morland and Walpole Road where the siding at milepost 14.8 was supposedly located, which I've never been able to figure out. It DOES however seem to match up with the far side of Rocky Point Road opposite Kangaroo Road, where the right-of-way is unusually wide. It would appear the Metchosin siding was slightly further west than the timetable would indicate

Also note the shots of the Gillespie Road overpass from above in September '71 (picture 18 ) and from below in June '83 (picture 9 ). Sometime after abandonment but prior to removal, either CNR or the highways department converted the vertical clearance sign to metric.

And it looks like the line between Deerholme and Leechtown was reactivated for a few years from the beginning of May 1975 until 1979, after being shut down in spring 1973.

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2016, 1:49am by emilydm » Logged
Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #442 on: Feb 23rd, 2016, 3:25am »

Check this out, regarding CNR activities on the Island circa 1975 [pages 30 & 31 ]
http://www.exporail.org/can_rail/Canadian%20Rail_no286_1975.pdf

emilydm
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #443 on: Feb 23rd, 2016, 2:24pm »

The previous issue (number 285, approximately April 1975) makes note of three discontinuous segments of CN track in the first ten miles of the Cowichan Sub, due to four road construction projects, one of which stranded the Victoria Pacific tourist train equipment. My theory for two of these projects are the completion of Pickford Road between Mount View and Marlene, and the striking by a delivery truck of the Helmcken Road overpass and its subsequent dismantlement circa 1974. Prior to this, Victoria Pacific would not run any further east than just before Helmcken due to poor track conditions.  

There was also a culvert removed near the present-day intersection of Kelly Road and Veterans Memorial Parkway, but I wouldn't count this as "road construction" since Kelly Road wasn't connected to Jacklin until the construction of Canwest Mall in 1983 or 1984. McKenzie wasn't pushed through to the Trans Canada Highway until the early eighties either.

So I wonder what the other road construction projects were? The article also mentions two collapsed bridges further up the line - which ones?

torch
Historian
  FLIX_009_371x523.jpgrr_RSIZE.jpg - 48111 Bytes
« Reply #444 on: Feb 23rd, 2016, 6:30pm »

Emilydm , this aerial shot from 1976 shows the removed culvert you mentioned as well as the antrobus poleyard and former ballast pits and spur.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/FLIX_009_371x523.jpgrr_RSIZE.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2016, 6:31pm by torch » Logged
Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #445 on: Feb 23rd, 2016, 6:40pm »

I really can't think of any collapsed bridges in this time period, after all, trains were running all the way to Colwood until March of 1973, when a number of bridges were declared unsafe for freight traffic. While they may have been unsafe for freight trains, they weren't at the point of outright collapse. I do know the culvert just east of the south siding switch at Leechtown, washed out somewhere in 1974, and was never replaced. on Feb 23rd, 2016, 2:24pm, emilydm wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The previous issue (number 285, approximately April 1975) makes note of three discontinuous segments of CN track in the first ten miles of the Cowichan Sub, due to four road construction projects, one of which stranded the Victoria Pacific tourist train equipment. My theory for two of these projects are the completion of Pickford Road between Mount View and Marlene, and the striking by a delivery truck of the Helmcken Road overpass and its subsequent dismantlement circa 1974. Prior to this, Victoria Pacific would not run any further east than just before Helmcken due to poor track conditions.  

There was also a culvert removed near the present-day intersection of Kelly Road and Veterans Memorial Parkway, but I wouldn't count this as "road construction" since Kelly Road wasn't connected to Jacklin until the construction of Canwest Mall in 1983 or 1984. McKenzie wasn't pushed through to the Trans Canada Highway until the early eighties either.

So I wonder what the other road construction projects were? The article also mentions two collapsed bridges further up the line - which ones?

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #446 on: Feb 24th, 2016, 10:01pm »

on Feb 21st, 2016, 2:31am, Jamie_Masters wrote:       (Click here for original message)
February 22, 1989, Point Ellice Yard,  Victoria BC [photo by Jamie Masters ]

GMD1 1000 pushing three empty boxcars towards interchange. They had been spotted in the upper yard on the team tracks. Two days later, the last boxcar was removed from the team tracks, and the rails in the upper yard were soon after removed.

Great picture Jamie.

I remember this view from the Bay Street bridge, though I was still pretty young at that time. It looks like the barge slip lead in the foreground has been torn up. I do recall seeing the barge slip on the other side.

Was the plywood mill (I think that's what it was) just on the other side of the Selkirk trestle still around/shipping/receiving?

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #447 on: Feb 25th, 2016, 12:17am »

Thanks for the kind words.  

By this time, there was no more rail shipping from the mill, and the mill's days were numbered as well.on Feb 24th, 2016, 10:01pm, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Great picture Jamie.

I remember this view from the Bay Street bridge, though I was still pretty young at that time. It looks like the barge slip lead in the foreground has been torn up. I do recall seeing the barge slip on the other side.

Was the plywood mill (I think that's what it was) just on the other side of the Selkirk trestle still around/shipping/receiving?

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Scan_91_830x540.jpg - 36048 Bytes
« Reply #448 on: Feb 25th, 2016, 12:52am »

February 19, 1990  CN's Point Ellice Yard [Photo by Jamie Masters ]

Twenty six years ago, the last CN activity on Vancouver Island was taking place.

GMD1 1070 is backing out of the engine track, and soon heading over to the  
interchange with CP, where it will be taken and hooked up to the northbound E&N freight, and end seventy five years of CNR presence in Victoria and the Island.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_91_830x540.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #449 on: Feb 26th, 2016, 1:51am »

There is a certain pathos to that photo, Jamie...thanks for sharing.  
Any more of this day?
And do we have any of the GMD1 on the CP train?

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
torch
Historian

« Reply #450 on: Feb 26th, 2016, 10:33am »

Mike Wilkie has photos of this that his dad shot. Its on his flikr account, I believe....or it might have been of the 1000 leaving,not the 1070.  Anyhow  Heres a link to the e&n folder of it.   https://www.flickr.com/photos/msdwilkie/albums/72157625910165407

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2016, 10:47am by torch » Logged
Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #451 on: Feb 26th, 2016, 11:54am »

I'm enjoying these pics, Jamie, and the conversation--thanks for sharing.  I'm intrigued by your comment about the Leechtown culvert.  
Quote:
I do know the culvert just east of the south siding switch at Leechtown, washed out somewhere in 1974, and was never replaced.

I was up there a lot with the UVic Railway Club in the early 1980s, and we quite often ran up to and beyond Leechtown.  The tracks were certainly passable for our small speeders, and, honestly, I don't remember anything washed out there, although the roadbed may have been undermined or compromised without that being readily apparent from the track.  Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Scan_92_834x560.jpg - 35353 Bytes
« Reply #452 on: Feb 26th, 2016, 1:40pm »

February 19, 1990 [Photo by Jamie Masters ]  Pathos is a great way to put it, the grey February morning added to that feeling. I have posted some other photos of this day in this CN thread, but I'll add some more.on Feb 26th, 2016, 1:51am, CPRail4744 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There is a certain pathos to that photo, Jamie...thanks for sharing.  
Any more of this day?
And do we have any of the GMD1 on the CP train?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_92_834x560.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2016, 1:48pm by Jamie_Masters » Logged
Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #453 on: Feb 26th, 2016, 1:47pm »

I'm thinking maybe my memory could be wrong, and the culvert was repaired, because I do remember walking up there with friends on a camping trip in the summer of 79, and when I think of it, a washed out culvert near Leechtown isn't part of my memories.on Feb 26th, 2016, 11:54am, Dayliner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm enjoying these pics, Jamie, and the conversation--thanks for sharing.  I'm intrigued by your comment about the Leechtown culvert.  
I was up there a lot with the UVic Railway Club in the early 1980s, and we quite often ran up to and beyond Leechtown.  The tracks were certainly passable for our small speeders, and, honestly, I don't remember anything washed out there, although the roadbed may have been undermined or compromised without that being readily apparent from the track.  Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Scan_93_834x554.jpg - 38972 Bytes
« Reply #454 on: Feb 26th, 2016, 1:59pm »

February 19, 1990, E&N yard, Vic West  [Photo by Jamie Masters ]

CP 6701 switcher bringing GMD1 1070 into the yard. The last CN engine on the Island
would be placed into a northbound freight leaving that morning. Seventy five years of
CNR history in Victoria, was now a thing of the past.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_93_834x554.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #455 on: Feb 26th, 2016, 8:12pm »

Thanks, Jamie and Torch.
I never cease to be amazed at the expanse of the Wilkie collection!

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
torch
Historian

« Reply #456 on: Feb 26th, 2016, 11:37pm »

To add to the observations of CN's removal from victoria Borden Mercantile continued to be 'rail served' for a short time after.  A portable auger was set up in the vic west yard on the passing track and hoppers were unloaded to truck there for transfer to Bordens. Actually you can see the auger in the photo that Jamie posted of the GMD in the consist preparing to leave! I recall seeing hoppers being unloaded at that spot. Anyone else?

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2016, 11:39pm by torch » Logged
Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Scan_94_818x576.jpg - 37959 Bytes
« Reply #457 on: Feb 27th, 2016, 12:13am »

January 7, 1990, Victoria  [photo by Jamie Masters ]

Here you go,Torch, a Borden Mercantile truck unloading a grain car in the yard in Vic West. This only went on for another month and a bit.
            [ quote author=torch link=board=Vancouver;num=1077604803;start=440#456 date=02/26/16 at 23:37:34]To add to the observations of CN's removal from victoria Borden Mercantile continued to be 'rail served' for a short time after.  A portable auger was set up in the vic west yard on the passing track and hoppers were unloaded to truck there for transfer to Bordens. Actually you can see the auger in the photo that Jamie posted of the GMD in the consist preparing to leave! I recall seeing hoppers being unloaded at that spot. Anyone else? [/quote]

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_94_818x576.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2016, 12:16am by Jamie_Masters » Logged
emilydm
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #458 on: Feb 27th, 2016, 3:26am »

I'd just like to say for the record how much it broke my heart going out to Milnes' Landing in June 1994 to find the rails ripped out and lying alongside the ties. I knew Sooke River Railway's lease was up and the push was on to complete the Galloping Goose out to Leechtown for cyclists and pedestrians, but that was still an end of an era. I still kick myself for not going on a speeder ride like I'd always wanted to when I first discovered that remaining section of track in the mid-eighties.

torch
Historian

« Reply #459 on: Feb 27th, 2016, 3:37am »

Great photo,Jamie.. and sad also. I always thought back in the 80s that CN would stick around. Many of us did considering that even in the mid 80s  CN's traffic level seemed comparable to the e&n at time.  Never did find out what sort of products were transloaded from boxcars in the upper yard at pt Ellice.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »