Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 23rd, 2017, 4:25pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CN pics
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   CN pics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CN pics  (Read 31549 times)
Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: CN pics
  Scan_69_889x772.jpg - 57059 Bytes
« Reply #400 on: Jan 29th, 2015, 1:00am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Photo by Elwood White, [collection of Jamie Masters ]

CNR Train 585 westbound over Selkirk trestle, led by the 2116 [running backwards before turning at the Wye at mile 1.6 Cowichan Sub

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_69_889x772.jpg
Click Image to Resize

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #401 on: Jan 30th, 2015, 1:31am »

great to see another one of Elwoods shots, Jamie do any of your timetables show a siding or spur for Stoltze Logging at mile 65, they were truck logging and had a reload there in 1944. you can still see some of the grade to this day.

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #402 on: Jan 30th, 2015, 3:43am »

on Jan 30th, 2015, 1:31am, hillbank wrote:       (Click here for original message)
great to see another one of Elwoods shots, Jamie do any of your timetables show a siding or spur for Stoltze Logging at mile 65, they were truck logging and had a reload there in 1944. you can still see some of the grade to this day.

The 1930 timetable shows a spur at mile 65 for the Windermere Lumber Company, connected at the east end and 10 cars in capacity.

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #403 on: Jan 31st, 2015, 1:44am »

Thanks Jamie, the Windermere Lumber Company had a tie mill there at that time.
In my collection of old maps i have one from 1942  revised in 1951 and it shows at that location (mile 65) a very long siding. also buildings a road that crosses the track then goes down and across the river. the road is still there and you cross it when traveling the old grade.
Virgil Stoltze (note spelling) had the contract to log a stand of timber that was owned by H. R Macmillan, Stoltz pool is a local landmark in the area.
Also Scottish Palmer had thier camp and logging railway there in the late 1920's and there is still alot of grades and camp remnants  including remains of the Shay that burnt up.
The B.C archives visual records  have several pics of Scottish palmer and Stoltze logging at this location.

anifan1
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #404 on: Feb 1st, 2015, 2:54am »

Does anyone know when the Selkirk trestle was built for the railway?

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #405 on: Feb 1st, 2015, 10:57am »

I believe,1917 was the year of completion for the Selkirk trestle.on Feb 1st, 2015, 2:54am, anifan1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Does anyone know when the Selkirk trestle was built for the railway?

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Scan_71_563x806.jpg - 82726 Bytes
« Reply #406 on: Feb 3rd, 2015, 12:28am »

CNR Employee Timetable, October 31st, 1971 [Collection of Jamie Masters]
Cowichan Subdivision [note that movement between mile 2.4 & 6.9 is not permitted without written permission] [also, there is one remaining telephone operator on the Cowichan Sub, located in Youbou ]

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_71_563x806.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Scan_70_583x788.jpg - 60637 Bytes
« Reply #407 on: Feb 3rd, 2015, 12:33am »

CNR Employee Timetable,October 31st, 1971 [collection of Jamie Masters ]

Tidewater Subdivision

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_70_583x788.jpg
Click Image to Resize

emilydm
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #408 on: Feb 4th, 2015, 2:21am »

So the blanket speed limit drop from 20 mph to 10 has been narrowed to sometime between '72 and '79. The plot thickens...

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Scan_72_583x793.jpg - 82496 Bytes
« Reply #409 on: Feb 6th, 2015, 6:11pm »

on Feb 4th, 2015, 2:21am, emilydm wrote:       (Click here for original message)
So the blanket speed limit drop from 20 mph to 10 has been narrowed to sometime between '72 and '79. The plot thickens...

Sorry Emily,I have no more timetables from the seventies other than this one
CN Employee Timetable April 29th,1973 [Collection of Jamie Masters ]

Cowichan Subdivision [Note, no movement is to proceed east of east siding switch Colwood, without Superintendent Transportation permission]

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_72_583x793.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Scan_73_646x890.jpg - 76663 Bytes
« Reply #410 on: Feb 6th, 2015, 6:13pm »

CN Employee Timetable,April 29th,1973 [Collection of Jamie Masters ]

Tidewater Subdivision

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_73_646x890.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Scan_74_583x806.jpg - 52520 Bytes
« Reply #411 on: Feb 6th, 2015, 6:18pm »

CN Mountain Region Timetable - October 30th, 1988 [Collection of Jamie Masters ]
Last, shrivelled vestige of the Cowichan Subdivision [Less than a year and a half
is left for CN's trackage on the Island ]

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_74_583x806.jpg
Click Image to Resize

emilydm
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #412 on: Feb 6th, 2015, 8:29pm »

I'm guessing that order and the main track derail at MP7.9 was to keep CN and Victoria Pacific equipment from accidentally meeting. (The lack of a complete bridge over Colquitz Creek served as an effective derail in the opposite direction; MP2.3 is about 500 feet west of Tillicum Road.)

Interesting too that the MP 8.05 crossing needs to be flagged in '73 but not '71. Did they remove the crossing signals?

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #413 on: Feb 6th, 2015, 8:45pm »

on Feb 6th, 2015, 8:29pm, emilydm wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm guessing that order and the main track derail at MP7.9 was to keep CN and Victoria Pacific equipment from accidentally meeting. (The lack of a complete bridge over Colquitz Creek served as an effective derail in the opposite direction; MP2.3 is about 500 feet west of Tillicum Road.)

Interesting too that the MP 8.05 crossing needs to be flagged in '73 but not '71. Did they remove the crossing signals?

Astute observations, your thought about the mile 8.05 crossing makes perfect sense.

emilydm
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #414 on: Feb 9th, 2015, 2:00am »

Ahh, I knew your name was familiar - I was going through Mike Dunham-Wilkie's photos, and saw you'd responded to me a few times there, years ago. We were all debating when the last runs south of Leechtown were. So for sure the Kinsol and Grouse Nest trestles were embargoed sometime in '73 (presumably after April?), and RTC forced CN to repair the Kinsol trestle in '74 at great expense? I remember reading in archived Times Colonist microfiches years ago about limited repairs being done begrudgingly to other bridges around that time - 73 to 75 - to carry "limited traffic" south of Leechtown, but it seemed that CN was not at all keen to provide further service. I've been re-reading the archives in the downtown Vancouver library when I get the time, but it's slow going and I still haven't found those articles yet. Once they're located I'll post details and the publication date.

I also assume RTC has archives as well.

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #415 on: Feb 9th, 2015, 5:26pm »

on Feb 9th, 2015, 2:00am, emilydm wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ahh, I knew your name was familiar - I was going through Mike Dunham-Wilkie's photos, and saw you'd responded to me a few times there, years ago. We were all debating when the last runs south of Leechtown were. So for sure the Kinsol and Grouse Nest trestles were embargoed sometime in '73 (presumably after April?), and RTC forced CN to repair the Kinsol trestle in '74 at great expense? I remember reading in archived Times Colonist microfiches years ago about limited repairs being done begrudgingly to other bridges around that time - 73 to 75 - to carry "limited traffic" south of Leechtown, but it seemed that CN was not at all keen to provide further service. I've been re-reading the archives in the downtown Vancouver library when I get the time, but it's slow going and I still haven't found those articles yet. Once they're located I'll post
 details and the publication date.

I also assume RTC has archives as well.

From my research, I'm pretty sure March,1973 was the last time movements south of Leechtown occurred.In 1974, the Kinsol trestle was repaired to the tune of 140,000 dollars, mainly because of the complaints from the R. Hughes Pole Company at Leechtown, but bridges east of Leechtown, including mile 21, didn't receive any repairs.

I'm sure DND wanted to continue receiving shipments at Rocky Point,but they were hamstrung by being a Federal Government entity dealing with another Federal government entity. At the abandonment hearings in 1976, they weren't permitted to put in their two cents worth because of the same conflict.

anifan1
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #416 on: Feb 12th, 2015, 10:50pm »

on Feb 1st, 2015, 10:57am, Jamie_Masters wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I believe,1917 was the year of completion for the Selkirk trestle.

Thanks Jamie_Masters.

Two questions, how did trains turn around at the Cowichan Bay dock and was there a double track where the old Town And Country Center (where the Uptown Center is) cause I have walked that part and noticed the path curve then straight then it curves back which makes me think that. You can also see it on google earth.

emilydm
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #417 on: Feb 12th, 2015, 11:35pm »

There was (and still is, according to Google Earth) a long siding at the Cowichan dock, maybe 1500 feet, that allowed the engine to go around the train when loading and unloading the ferries. There was also another siding and a wye at Tyup, west of Cowichan Bay Road and Koksilah River and east of the Trans-Canada Highway overpass. The wye was where the giant sawdust pile is now.

At Town & Country, the east switch of the wye was between Culduthel Road and the Trans Canada, and both south and east legs of the wye crossed the highway. There was also a storage track as noted on the timetables, between the old Burnside Road crossing (at the Forestry Center) and Admirals Road. But since all the switches on the Saanich Spur faced north and the switches in Victoria (at least until Milnes Landing, afaik) faced west, the wayfreight servicing local spurs generally went out of the yard forwards and came back in reverse, cars first and engine at the back. This is seen on Hugh Fraser's "Last Runs On Vancouver Island" video.

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2015, 3:21am by emilydm » Logged
anifan1
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #418 on: Feb 13th, 2015, 12:50am »

I see, cool.

vanislrailway
Railfan

« Reply #419 on: Feb 13th, 2015, 2:59am »

I found a video someone posted on Youtube, I am posting the link below, its not my video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfCCipPlBG0[url][/url]

I am interested in learning and preserving the history of the railway on Vancouver Island. With a lot of the History taken away we must work hard to insure our kids have the ability to watch and ride the rails we have left and enjoy seeing so much.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »