Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 15th, 2017, 8:54am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CN pics
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   CN pics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  30 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CN pics  (Read 32549 times)
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

Re: CN pics

« Reply #40 on: Oct 31st, 2004, 8:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Sorry, thats the only CN pic I have (as far as I know).  That spot was my first train watching spot (grew up in Gordon Head), spent lotsa time there in summers and when school was out, before discovering the E&N.

torch
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 2:05am »

throo the 80s i always remember that as morning runs....did you ever see later runs than that or see them set boxcars out on the main like i mentioned in the other post?..one time around 1986 i saw a caboose on the borden spur on the same track as the hoppers.im assuming it may have been an old caboose that was purchased privately from somebody and just handled on the cn and taken to the borden spur for a more convienient transload....anybody ever see that?the caboose didnt have markings that were visible anyway and it was a pea soup green as far as my memory serves and a steel,end cupola design.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #42 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 3:13am »

Late morning sticks in my mind also.  Got to ride along several times.  Your assumptions about the caboose would be right, I never saw one around Pt. Ellice and they never used the one they had at Deerholme.

torch
Historian

« Reply #43 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 11:09pm »

i always felt that that was a rather dangerous railway crossing...being on that angle,no flashers(i think the brakeman would flag the train across the street)...it was a near invisible crossing...that was part of its charm...it just ended up looking like an unlikely place for a train to appear...mustve been even more tricky leaving borden's and having to traverse the street in reverse with a couple hoppers leading the engine.......the town and country crossing of the transcanada hi way wasnt a whole lot better either....the signals never seemed to work untill the pilot of the engine was about to enter the hi-way.........come to think of it,ALL the road crossings on the cowichan sub\pat bay sub seemed sketchy..anybody have any stories to tell?maybe i should start a new thread for this.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #44 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 11:46pm »

Yeah, there were close calls there.  I can't remember if they had to flag the crossing.  Nothing in the TT about that.

torch
Historian

« Reply #45 on: Nov 2nd, 2004, 8:39pm »

one of those photos in the third row down,shows the crew switching the bakery near the pat bay junction.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:37am »

on Oct 31st, 2004, 3:08pm, CP8673 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Crossing Quadra St 1982

Hmmm, I didn't realize that the SW1200RS's were used on the island.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:40am »

on Nov 1st, 2004, 2:05am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
anybody ever see that?the caboose didnt have markings that were visible anyway and it was a pea soup green as far as my memory serves and a steel,end cupola design.

Could it be the BCRail caboose that's out at the Saanich Historical Artifacts Society??

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #48 on: Nov 3rd, 2004, 1:02am »

on Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:37am, ENR3870 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hmmm, I didn't realize that the SW1200RS's were used on the island.

Came over a couple of times when 7156 went to Thornton for inspection/repair

vicguy
Historian

« Reply #49 on: Nov 3rd, 2004, 3:51am »

Great pics! Looks like CN was pretty busy still in 1977

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
torch
Historian

« Reply #50 on: Nov 3rd, 2004, 7:13am »

it may very well be that same caboose thats out there tyler....do you know when the caboose was placed there?

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #51 on: Nov 3rd, 2004, 2:14pm »

on Nov 3rd, 2004, 7:13am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
it may very well be that same caboose thats out there tyler....do you know when the caboose was placed there?

I'm not sure when they got the caboose.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
caboose9
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Nov 3rd, 2004, 4:45pm »

ENR3870 said, "I'm not sure when they got the caboose."

Hi,

The caboose at Saanichton, BC, is wood PGE/BCOL 1822 rebuilt from a CP boxcar.

Roger

S. Roger Kirkpatrick, Cortez, CO - Gateway to Mesa Verde National Park
CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #53 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 1:39am »

That picture of the CN crossing Quadra, wow, I thought I would never see some documentation for that place-  
Back in the mid 70's I clearly remember my dad going into that office building in the background, and while I waited in the VW van here goes a little CN train rumbling by
away from Borden's, back to downtown I presume.  One of those situations as a kid where you know there is railway stuff but you don't think to explore it further because it will always be there, right?...I wish I was a kid with an adult mind.

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
cn2220
Historian
  selkirktrestleewhite.jpg - 41218 Bytes
« Reply #54 on: Nov 25th, 2004, 8:40pm »

I was able to meet Elwood White today, the photos and memorabilia that man has is unbelieveable. The photos that he showed me were amazing. Mostly steam. I didn't realize how much of a grade there was climbing up through View Royal to Colwood, the photos he showed me of the steamers working their guts out getting up the hill. He let me have this photo, as it was a double, a CN train on the Selkirk Bridge, with a load of logs.  

He was also telling me that in the late 50's CN ran two trains a day out of Victoria heading up island, two Youbou Turns from Tyup, plus the switcher out to Borden Mercantile and work trains, the Cowichan Sub was a rather busy rail line. Hard to believe that by the mid 1960's there was hardly any rail traffic between Victoria and Deerholme.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (41218 bytes, 932x384 pixels)

Click Here to View Image selkirktrestleewhite.jpg - 41218 Bytes

« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2004, 8:45pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #55 on: Nov 26th, 2004, 2:19pm »

on Nov 26th, 2004, 5:44am, KVR_Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Very nice picture!  Is there any chance of seeing more of them from his collection?  Has he had stuff published previously?  I do not recognize his name.

Yes, he has a few photos in Robert Turner's "Vancouver Island Railroads" and "Ghosts of the Grade" by Ian Baird and Peter Smith.  

He also showed me the video, "End of an era". The program Shaw Cable did after CN shut the Cowichan and Tidewater Subs down, interviewing a retired CN engineer. I had forgot that they couldn't load the cars full, due to the poor track condition. The engineer was saying that if they did fully load the cars, they would get rocking so much that they'd end up down the bank, in the Cowichan River.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CLC Fan

View Profile  

00020003_2_enhanced.jpg - 49784 Bytes
« Reply #56 on: Apr 7th, 2005, 2:13am »

I just got this from Ross tonight and thought I would pass it along.  It was scanned from a slide and I think it's pretty cool looking.  That yard really was big, eh?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/00020003_2_enhanced.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2005, 2:15am by CLC Fan » Logged
vicguy
Historian

« Reply #57 on: Apr 7th, 2005, 8:51pm »

on Apr 7th, 2005, 2:13am, KVR Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I just got this from Ross tonight and thought I would pass it along.  It was scanned from a slide and I think it's pretty cool looking.  That yard really was big, eh?

It's hard to believe this whole scene is long gone! Definetly a cool pic and thanks for reviving the CN thread!

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Apr 7th, 2005, 9:25pm »

Interestingly to note, that 3 years after this picture was taken, CN abandoned the track from the Pat Bay junction to Colwood. Trains would no longer go between Cowichan and Victoria. I believe the reason was the bridges were in not great shape.
Amazingly Victoria had a lot of train traffic for just a small city.

Aaron

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #59 on: Apr 7th, 2005, 9:40pm »

Does Ross have a slide of the same area, but looking toward the engine house?

Aaron

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  30 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »