Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 23rd, 2017, 4:22pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CN pics
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   CN pics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ...  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CN pics  (Read 31546 times)
Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: CN pics
  Scan_63_631x893.jpg - 83715 Bytes
« Reply #380 on: Jan 19th, 2015, 12:42am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

CNR Employee timetable, October, 25,1959 [Collection of Jamie Masters ]

Tidewater Subdivision

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_63_631x893.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Scan_64_583x806.jpg - 82720 Bytes
« Reply #381 on: Jan 19th, 2015, 12:57am »

CNR Employee timetable, April, 24, 1960 [Collection of Jamie Masters ]
Cowichan Subdivision

Notice, no more Train 585 or 586,and trains start and finish their days at Deerholme.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_64_583x806.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Scan_65_546x807.jpg - 62202 Bytes
« Reply #382 on: Jan 19th, 2015, 12:59am »

CNR Employee timetable,April,24,1960 [Collection of Jamie Masters ]

Tidewater Subdivision

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_65_546x807.jpg
Click Image to Resize

emilydm
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #383 on: Jan 19th, 2015, 2:14pm »

This is very informative stuff, seeing the various spurs and sidings appearing and disappearing over time. Thanks for posting these!

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #384 on: Jan 23rd, 2015, 1:25am »

Thanks again for posting these timetables, i see in 1960 the wyes at Shawnigan and Chanlog are gone, i imagine with the steam locomotives phased out there is no need for so many wyes, any reason the Victoria train was based in Deerholme?
I have noticed when i have walked the grade the amount of concrete culverts and fill work that was done in the mid to late 1940's

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #385 on: Jan 23rd, 2015, 4:41pm »

on Jan 23rd, 2015, 1:25am, hillbank wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks again for posting these timetables, i see in 1960 the wyes at Shawnigan and Chanlog are gone, i imagine with the steam locomotives phased out there is no need for so many wyes, any reason the Victoria train was based in Deerholme?
I have noticed when i have walked the grade the amount of concrete culverts and fill work that was done in the mid to late 1940's

I would think by this time in 1960, the CNR was already starting their gradual decline in service between Victoria and Deerholme. The diesels had no need of the roundhouse and shops in Victoria, probably not nearly as many crews required to run the trains as well. Also, trains on the Island were no longer dispatched out've the Point Ellice station, but rather, through the dispatching office in Kamloops.
Within another year, there were no more regularly scheduled trains on the Cowichan Sub except between Deerholme and Youbou and by September , !965, through trains between Victoria and Deerholme no longer ran. Kinda amazing how quickly the Cowichan Sub became a mere shadow of what it once was.

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2015, 4:35am by Jamie_Masters » Logged
hillbank
Historian

« Reply #386 on: Jan 24th, 2015, 12:54am »

Yes the Cowichan Sub declined pretty fast. Elwood White told me when the logging companies started trucking stump to dump that pretty well finished it and also the Youbou mill started trucking venner to the plywood plant in Victoria instead of using rail, and with the barge slip at Cowichan Bay it made sense not to run into Victoria, One thing Elwood showed me was some photos he had of CN moving buildings and equipment from Tyup to Deerholme, this was when the conversion had been made to diesel and Tyup was phased out. one nice phot was of the train crossing the highway with buildings on flatcars. I hope those photos are in someones collection!

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Scan_66_666x880.jpg - 83504 Bytes
« Reply #387 on: Jan 24th, 2015, 11:08pm »

CN Employee Timetable, October 25th, 1964 [collection of Jamie Masters ]

Cowichan Subdivision [note, only scheduled trains are between Deerholme and Youbou ]

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_66_666x880.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Scan_67_543x806.jpg - 55276 Bytes
« Reply #388 on: Jan 24th, 2015, 11:10pm »

CN Employee Timetable, October 25th, 1964 [collection of Jamie Masters ]

Tidewater Subdivision

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Scan_67_543x806.jpg
Click Image to Resize

emilydm
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #389 on: Jan 25th, 2015, 12:51am »

Interesting - so the crossing signals at Royal Roads were installed sometime between '60 and '64. I'm guessing the ones near Saseenos showed up around the same time. I wonder if there were ever plans to install them at the flagged crossings mentioned, before the Colquitz River bridge replacement stalled.

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #390 on: Jan 25th, 2015, 1:22pm »

on Jan 25th, 2015, 12:51am, emilydm wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Interesting - so the crossing signals at Royal Roads were installed sometime between '60 and '64. I'm guessing the ones near Saseenos showed up around the same time. I wonder if there were ever plans to install them at the flagged crossings mentioned, before the Colquitz River bridge replacement stalled.

There were quite a few crossing signals ordered into use between 1960-64
From reading some RTC annual reports, I think the Kangaroo/Rocky Point crossing had lights installed in 1962, and I think at least one of the Atkins Road crossing received crossing signals at this same time.
Kind of ironic that safety became more of a priority for the Cowichan Sub, just when it was beginning to die.

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2015, 1:25pm by Jamie_Masters » Logged
emilydm
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #391 on: Jan 25th, 2015, 3:16pm »

This is new and interesting news to me. The Kangaroo intersection makes sense - with the cut there, if a train was approaching the crossing from the south (geographic north, ie coming from Langford), motorists would have a hard time seeing it until it was right in the crossing. As for Atkins, the crossing on the hill and the one at Chilco Road both have simple crossbucks in the tourist train photos from '71 to '73 I've seen. So maybe it was the crossing in the dip right where Atkins left the Old Island Highway.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #392 on: Jan 25th, 2015, 11:37pm »

on Jan 25th, 2015, 1:22pm, Jamie_Masters wrote:       (Click here for original message)

There were quite a few crossing signals ordered into use between 1960-64
From reading some RTC annual reports, I think the Kangaroo/Rocky Point crossing had lights installed in 1962, and I think at least one of the Atkins Road crossing received crossing signals at this same time.
Kind of ironic that safety became more of a priority for the Cowichan Sub, just when it was beginning to die.

At the risk of going off topic, you should see how many crossing have been rebuilt (often upgrading from cross-bucks signals, sometimes including gates) south of View Royal...all over the last couple of years, with no rail traffic to speak of.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #393 on: Jan 26th, 2015, 1:38pm »

on Jan 19th, 2015, 12:57am, Jamie_Masters wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Notice, no more Train 585 or 586,and trains start and finish their days at Deerholme.

It may still have been a Victoria based train. There was a bunkhouse in Deerholme that a Victoria crew could have laid over in. It was probably scheduled that way to meet connections with the train from Youbou.

« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2015, 1:48pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
emilydm
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #394 on: Jan 26th, 2015, 4:18pm »

On a related note, does anyone have pictures of the Luxton or Rocky Point at Kangaroo crossings with rails intact, or Sooke Road at Saseenos with crossing signals installed? The road grades at all of these crossings were changed significantly after the rails were removed - Luxton had a hump, Rocky Point had a dip, but they were both flattened sometime before the mid-eighties.

cycledude
Railfan

« Reply #395 on: Jan 26th, 2015, 10:24pm »

on Dec 12th, 2014, 4:09am, Jamie_Masters wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here is the CNR employee timetable from September, 1930, showing the Cowichan Subdivision [collection of Jamie Masters]  Note the passenger train running as Train 391 &392, it was gone by the summer of the following year. Note also the scheduled meet between the eastbound way freight and the westbound passenger train at Kapoor [35.5 ]

Thanks for posting this, Jamie . . . sorry I missed it last month. As previously noted, my dad worked at Kapoor in 1928 so this schedule is pretty rare showing the Kapoor mill station.
Thanks again
Bill

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #396 on: Jan 27th, 2015, 11:37am »

Jamie et al,

Are there maps available showing these locations?
I was near Lake Cowichan the other day and at the intersection of Mayo and Riverbottom I see what looks like an abandoned railway line turned trail but the signed trail from the old CP sub is at the other end of Mayo. Sure would be nice to know which tidbit of history we see in our travels.  

Dennis

Never known for Political Correctness
& far from a tag words cut and paste artist.
Port Alberni or Thereabouts.
emilydm
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #397 on: Jan 27th, 2015, 1:59pm »

Dennis - Yes, that's mile 67.26 of the CN Cowichan Sub. One of the SA Baines spurs was right around there, the other was near the Skutz Falls Road crossing (mile 67.64).  

For existing landmarks between Sooke Lake and Lake Cowichan: McGee Creek trestle was mile 46.9, Kinsol Trestle was mile 51.0, Holt Creek trestle was mile 59.7, mile marker 60 was weathered to illegibility but still stood as of 2008, there are remains of the Camscot logging operation and siding/spur to the south of the mainline at mile 63.5, there's an unnamed creek at mile 64.5, Marie Canyon at mile 66.2, the second Cowichan River trestle at mile 70.2, the Lake Cowichan siding was just east of Cowichan Road, and the old overpass of the E&N was mile 73.0 at which point I was no longer able to follow the grade.

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #398 on: Jan 27th, 2015, 5:10pm »

TY

Never known for Political Correctness
& far from a tag words cut and paste artist.
Port Alberni or Thereabouts.
cycledude
Railfan

« Reply #399 on: Jan 27th, 2015, 11:33pm »

Tom Paterson has published several books outlining all the original waypoints along both the CPR and CNR railways in Cowichan Valley -- both of which cross Mayo Road. We've cycled both the Trans Canada Trail (CNR) between Lake Cowichan and Duncan and the Cowichan Valley Trail (CPR) joining these two towns.

Here's a short video showing parts of the popular , Lake Cowichan/Mayo  Road 22km roundtrip loop.

P.S. Kinsol Trestle is at MP51.9 on the Trans Canada Trail

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ...  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »