Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 16th, 2017, 5:52pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CN pics
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   CN pics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  ...  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CN pics  (Read 31680 times)
Speeder
Historian
Re: CN pics
  DSC00344.jpg - 73818 Bytes
« Reply #260 on: Sep 16th, 2009, 1:28am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

4) Finally, another view of the old CN taken further up the trail (slightly north of Rocky Point Rd). The line sweeps gracefully away into the distance... if you follow it up, it crosses Happy Valley Rd. and eventually Sooke Rd. just near the Glen Lake Inn.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/DSC00344.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #261 on: Sep 16th, 2009, 2:13am »

on Sep 16th, 2009, 1:24am, Speeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
3) The old CN line again taken from the Rocky Point Rd crossing looking towards Colwood.

Nice, looking towards the old Metchosin station too.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Speeder
Historian

« Reply #262 on: Sep 16th, 2009, 2:56am »

Where exactly was the old Metchosin Station? Right by the first Rocky point Road crossing (in other words, within the view of this picture)? Or further north towards Happy Valley Rd?

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #263 on: Sep 16th, 2009, 3:08am »

on Sep 16th, 2009, 2:56am, Speeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Where exactly was the old Metchosin Station? Right by the first Rocky point Road crossing (in other words, within the view of this picture)? Or further north towards Happy Valley Rd?

I believe the trees in the background of the 3rd picture is where the station was. At the second Rocky Point Rd. crossing near Matheson Lake is where Rocky Point station was.

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2009, 3:10am by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
torch
Historian
  RESIXE_894x454.jpg_2.jpg - 110444 Bytes
« Reply #264 on: Sep 16th, 2009, 3:35am »

Here is an article that  a friend passed along to me  to post here. It shows a temp recycle operation involving cn at the end of the saanich spur at that time.    Also, I must ask:  does  anybody know the location of the spur in rocky point where the munitions transloading took place? thanks!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/RESIXE_894x454.jpg_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #265 on: Sep 16th, 2009, 3:58am »

Re: the Rocky Point spur:

I checked into that recently, and from what I've been told, it was immediately to the west of the second Rocky Point Rd. crossing... exactly where the car park is now. If you look on Google Earth you can see what looks like the area where the spur was.  

By the way, from what I've been told, it was not a spur in the sense that diverged from the mainline (off into a different direction)... rather, it was a siding (or team track) that ran parallel to the mainline. I don't know if it was actually a passing loop.  

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2009, 3:59am by Speeder » Logged
torch
Historian

« Reply #266 on: Sep 16th, 2009, 4:04am »

thanks, Speeder.. Thats pretty much how I pictured it as well but I wanted to hear someone else' confirmation.   I went out there on bike in 1989 and remember coming up to the parking lot and thinking it looked like a spur wouldve been there and I had heard of the ammo transload.  I have also heard murmurings in the past of a pipe manufacturer in metchosin that shipped by rail  but never heard any more confirmation on that.  Only the antrobus pole yard. I have an ariel photo of the antrobus yard taken in 1976  that I will post here too  showing the spur that went in. Not sure when antrobus stopped shipping by rail but I assume it was toward the end of the 70s.

torch
Historian
  RESIZE.jpg - 60600 Bytes
« Reply #267 on: Sep 16th, 2009, 8:10am »

Here is  an ariel  photo of the antrobus poleyard in south langford, by belmont secondary. Taken in 1976. You can see where the spur goes in at the cut in the treeline.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/RESIZE.jpg
Click Image to Resize

torch
Historian
  FLIX_009_371x523.jpgrr_RSIZE.jpg - 48111 Bytes
« Reply #268 on: Sep 16th, 2009, 8:14am »

Here is a  wider ariel photo of  the antrobus poleyard in relation to belmont secondary. If you follow the r.o.w.  up to the top of the photo you will notice that there is a gap where a bridge is missing over a creek. I wonder what year this bridge was removed. I guess this shows that nothing moved into colwood by rail after 1976 when this photo was taken.  I dont see any runaround siding near the poleyard so the cars must have been pushed there after a previous runaround move at a siding west of here.  Anybody care to speculate?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/FLIX_009_371x523.jpgrr_RSIZE.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cycledude
Railfan
  ggt_30km_rockypointroad_text.jpg - 128531 Bytes
« Reply #269 on: Sep 16th, 2009, 2:26pm »

on Sep 16th, 2009, 1:16am, Speeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I was out on Rocky Point Rd. this morning, and took some pictures of the old CN right of way... now the Galloping Goose trail.

All four pictures were taken (within a few meters of) where Walpole Rd intersects Rocky Point Rd. Here the old CN crosses Rocky Point Rd., after running almost parallel to Happy Valley Rd from the Colwood/Luxton area)

1) Looking across Rocky Point Rd. coming from the Colwood direction. This is what's left of the first Rocky Point rd crossing.

Thanks for posting recent photos from one of the most picturesque sections of the Galloping Goose Trail (GGT 25km-marker). When this trail was an active CNR railway, the distance markers were designated in miles; now, in the age of political correctness, the CRD uses trail markers in kilometres. The former markers were accurate and any reported positions inbetween were given in percentages-of-a-mile; i.e., Mile 51.1 designated a point one-tenth-of-a-mile (170-yards) outbound from the starting point -- Mile-Zero.

Just as in the old days of the CNR's Galloping Goose Railway, I find it useful to included distance references when discussing various points-of-interest along the GGT, CNR route. To this end is included a photo showing Rocky Point Road crossing is located just beyond the 30km-Marker on the GGT. We know the view is westbound because the trailmarker is on the righthand side of the trail.

30km marker Rocky Pont Road Crossing: 48°21'20.06"N 123°34'49.49"W  Copy&Paste these soordinated into Google.Earth

P.S. The Capital Regional District Water (CRD) has closed the GGT to public use beyond the 48.5-mark (Sooke Potholes) for over-one-year. The CRD has also closed The Land Conservancy (TLC) Campground for the entire 2009 season. When -- or if -- this section of the trail to Leechtown will ever be returned to public use, is anyone's guess.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/ggt_30km_rockypointroad_text.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CN7059
Historian

« Reply #270 on: Sep 17th, 2009, 3:21am »

on Sep 16th, 2009, 2:26pm, cycledude wrote:       (Click here for original message)

P.S. The Capital Regional District Water (CRD) has closed the GGT to public use beyond the 48.5-mark (Sooke Potholes) for over-one-year. The CRD has also closed The Land Conservancy (TLC) Campground for the entire 2009 season. When -- or if -- this section of the trail to Leechtown will ever be returned to public use, is anyone's guess.

I'll add this: the trail has been closed to allow for the installation of a new water supply line in to Sooke. Unfortunately, this means that the original grade will be destroyed. I don't mean that the path of the trail will be altered; it will still follow the same ROW. However, for those of us who are actually geeky enough to care about such things, it should be noted that on that particular section of the trail, the rails and ties were removed, but the roadbed was left intact. So, when you're cycling that stretch of track, you are literally on the exact same grade as was used by the railway. When I say the grade is being destroyed, what I mean is that this will no longer be the case. There are a couple of places where it is still possible to see an old cross tie embedded in the trail.

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=Vancouver;action=display;num=1204058803;start=

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

torch
Historian

« Reply #271 on: Sep 17th, 2009, 7:37am »

I added three somewhat interesting photos and  had questions.  Any feedback regarding my posts?  thank ye.

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #272 on: Sep 17th, 2009, 3:59pm »

torch, you certainly got my attention with that first photo.  I can remember seeing boxcars spotted at that location in the early 1970s, presumably for loading recyclables.  I never saw a gon there, though.  I remember going to that old winery-cum-recycling-depot with my dad.

It's not just the surroundings that have changed since then--can you imagine a class 1 today spotting a single car for that kind of load, and allowing people to climb on and in it without 17 different kinds of PPE and a briefcase full of legal waivers?  The times, they have been a-changing . . .

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #273 on: Sep 21st, 2009, 1:58am »

Wow, torch, what a picture!  Things were quiet out there the year I was born!
I remember going to the old winery as a kid to dump recycle stuff with my Dad too!  Makes one think of another product still viable today as a rail "commodity" - recyclables.
I remember the painted sign on the old building used to say something like
 "______ Loganberry Wine"  Anybody remember the first word?  And was it ever served by rail, because the line went right beside it.

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #274 on: Sep 22nd, 2009, 6:07pm »

on Sep 21st, 2009, 1:58am, CPRail4744 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Wow, torch, what a picture!  Things were quiet out there the year I was born!
I remember going to the old winery as a kid to dump recycle stuff with my Dad too!  Makes one think of another product still viable today as a rail "commodity" - recyclables.
I remember the painted sign on the old building used to say something like
 "______ Loganberry Wine"  Anybody remember the first word?  And was it ever served by rail, because the line went right beside it.

The first word would be "Slinger's".  Do not know if it was rail served or not.

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #275 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 1:05am »

Hey Gang...take a good look at that first airiel photo, notice what looks to be a longer spur located located east (above) the Antrobus spur? i am sure thats the old ballast pit spur that is listed in the timetables. alot of fill came out of that pit in the fifties for filling bridges along the line. The spur was 22 car lengths and was 0.3 miles from the Antrobus spur and switched heading west

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #276 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 1:08am »

sorry my mistake its the second airiel photo i am talking about!

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #277 on: Nov 9th, 2009, 12:46am »

Ol' 7156 in Victoria in the 70's.  There's something I've been wondering for a while, perhaps someone on here would know, were the SW's were ever used out of Deerholme as well?  

http://www.cnrphotos.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=54803&g2_imageViewsIndex=2

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #278 on: Nov 9th, 2009, 11:43am »

I'm not going to say no,  but I highly doubt it.

bigcreekcowboy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #279 on: Feb 28th, 2011, 11:41pm »

Is there any pictures showing the underside of that draw bridge? I love the idea of modeling the trestle and lift span.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  ...  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »