Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 23rd, 2017, 10:14am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

E&N/SVI photos and video
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   E&N/SVI photos and video
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  ...  94 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: E&N/SVI photos and video  (Read 10100 times)
North49
Former Member
Re: Post your E&N photos....

« Reply #540 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 11:12pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Mar 24th, 2007, 11:19pm, CrashNational wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Centennial Train at Shawnigan Lake. What a weird sight, F-units on the island.

An even WIERDER sight is a real-ish station at shawnigan lake rather than the abused shelter thats there now

blackdog
Railfan

« Reply #541 on: Mar 27th, 2007, 6:27pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Forgive my lack of BC history - when was the Centennial Train on the Island? 1986?  
I first came to Shawnigan Lake in 1976. My sister lived an easy walk from the station, a few hundred yards along the track. In 1976 the station was a small shelter with a half-hip roof one end and a gable the other. I made a model of it while I was there. I still have the model. There was also, a few yards further north, a shed which looked like it was for a speeder. I have a photo of that, too, but I don't recall the building that looks like a goods lock-up which you can see in the picture of the Centennial Train. Maybe I didn't walk that far up the line.  
I remember we had to 'flag' the Dayliner to stop. We weren't quite sure how you 'flag' a train so we did what you do to stop a London bus - stick your arm out! I have a photo of my wife doing just that, at Shawnigan. Shortly after that, they did away with flagging.

blackdog
Railfan

« Reply #542 on: Mar 27th, 2007, 6:59pm »

I wrote too soon, of course. Just seen the posts about the Centennial train. 1967 explains a lot. Those buildings at Shawnigan had gone by the time I was there.  
For modellers there's one photo (colour) in Rail Canada Volume 3 and more B&W photos and a painting diagram in Rail Canada Volume 1. Apparently the loco horn played 'O Canada' - should be interesting on a DCC sound-equipped model!!

North49
Former Member

« Reply #543 on: Mar 27th, 2007, 10:32pm »

on Mar 27th, 2007, 6:27pm, blackdog wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Forgive my lack of BC history - when was the Centennial Train on the Island? 1986?  
I first came to Shawnigan Lake in 1976. My sister lived an easy walk from the station, a few hundred yards along the track. In 1976 the station was a small shelter with a half-hip roof one end and a gable the other. I made a model of it while I was there. I still have the model. There was also, a few yards further north, a shed which looked like it was for a speeder. I have a photo of that, too, but I don't recall the building that looks like a goods lock-up which you can see in the picture of the Centennial Train. Maybe I didn't walk that far up the line.  
I remember we had to 'flag' the Dayliner to stop. We weren't quite sure how you 'flag' a train so we did what you do to stop a London bus - stick your arm out! I have a photo of my wife doing just that, at Shawnigan. Shortly after that, they did away with flagging.

Well I think thats still the same "station" but now its a little worse for wear after several years of being the local hangout for youths, myself included, it has endured alot of graffiti, has a slight lean to it(no idea why) abuse, and a few attempted arsons....it looks like it seriously needs some tlc.

« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2007, 10:33pm by North49 » Logged
missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #544 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 1:56pm »

on Mar 27th, 2007, 6:59pm, blackdog wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I wrote too soon, of course. Just seen the posts about the Centennial train. 1967 explains a lot. Those buildings at Shawnigan had gone by the time I was there.  
For modellers there's one photo (colour) in Rail Canada Volume 3 and more B&W photos and a painting diagram in Rail Canada Volume 1. Apparently the loco horn played 'O Canada' - should be interesting on a DCC sound-equipped model!!

As far as I know, the O Canada horns from the roof of 1411 are the horns that announce 12 noon in downtown Vancouver every day. They were originally on the roof of the BC Hydro building on Burrard street, but when Hydro moved out, they wound up at Canada place on the waterfront. Amazing how many life long Vancouver residents I've had to TELL that the horns play O Canada,  and even then, some will argue that they don't!!! They CLEARLY do!

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2007, 1:49pm by missthealcos » Logged
baldwincp
Former Member

« Reply #545 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 3:07pm »

The air horns were also on the cab of 1077 as part of the B.C. museum train that toured the island.  I heard the horns when they were on the top of the Hydro building and yes it sounded like O Canada.  Guess most people do not hear the national anthem very often and do not recognise it.
Gordon.

Jayturf
Enthusiast

« Reply #546 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 7:54pm »

very cool photos... i too was exploring that area about a month back.  i think you're right about that wall being part of the old union colliery railway.  there are also a ton of old railway ruins around the union bay area.

CroftonSpur88
Historian
  Picture_017.jpg - 78515 Bytes
« Reply #547 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 6:16pm »

Duncan Turn making it's way north, April 3 2007.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Picture_017.jpg
Click Image to Resize

"the rails are somewhere under those weeds"
torch
Historian

« Reply #548 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:46pm »

there used to be a  spur into that scrapyard there behind the  train. I recall seeing it from the dayliner in the 80s.

North49
Former Member

« Reply #549 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:33pm »

on Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:46pm, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
there used to be a  spur into that scrapyard there behind the  train. I recall seeing it from the dayliner in the 80s.

Oooo hey potentional customer there! I wonder if the rails are still there at all?

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #550 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 6:43am »

on Apr 3rd, 2007, 6:16pm, CroftonSpur88 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Duncan Turn making it's way north, April 3 2007.

Where abouts is this photo taken?  Cassidy?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

CroftonSpur88
Historian

« Reply #551 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 9:35am »

About a half mile north of Top Shelf

"the rails are somewhere under those weeds"
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #552 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 10:50am »

The picture was taken from Boys road. Its just south of the Cowichan river.
The scrap metal dealer is Harpers Recycling.

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

VIA_6125.1984-10-05_Victoria._with_6134-2_604x895.jpg - 58282 Bytes
« Reply #553 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 2:31pm »

Gonna try posting a few "golden oldies" here.  This is my first attempt at posting pics, so apologies in advance if it doesn't go quite right.  First we have VIA 6125 and 6134 crossing Catherine Street after unloading, October 5, 1984.  Friday before Thanksgiving weekend means a two car train.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/VIA_6125.1984-10-05_Victoria._with_6134-2_604x895.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

VIA_9306_1980-10-04_Nanaimo_with_CP_9064.jpg - 108833 Bytes
« Reply #554 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 2:39pm »

OK, that one seemed to work.  Next up, two shots of train 198 at Nanaimo four years earlier, on October 4, 1980.  The VIA car is 9306, originally Lehigh Valley 41, then CP (& VIA) 9306, then VIA 6143, an RDC2 rebuilt to RDC1 configuration (and must have been rebuilt for Montreal commuter pool--I remember the former baggage compartment was fitted out with seats along the walls and polls for standees to hang on to).  The car in CP colours is 9064.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/VIA_9306_1980-10-04_Nanaimo_with_CP_9064.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

VIA_9306.1980-10-04_Nanaimo_701x456.jpg - 38527 Bytes
« Reply #555 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 2:57pm »

The other end of 9306.  A phase I car with phase II windows--was it in a wreck or was this just part of the rebuilding?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/VIA_9306.1980-10-04_Nanaimo_701x456.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

1985-05-26.CP_8825_leaving_Victoria_604x899.jpg - 66918 Bytes
« Reply #556 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 3:08pm »

One more for now, then I have to get moving on a few chores.  Here's GP9 8825 leaving Victoria yard with the freight on a Sunday afternoon with the Budds in the background, May 26, 1985.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/1985-05-26.CP_8825_leaving_Victoria_604x899.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENR_fan
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #557 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 3:29pm »

Awesome pictures Dayliner! I never knew that there was a spur at Catherine Street however it makes sense because that building is still there which the spur goes to and the loading dock suggests rail service in the past.

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #558 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 5:42pm »

Hey thanks, ENR fan.  I don't know if that spur was used to serve any customers by that time, but you would often see cars spotted there, as in the photo.  It was common for arriving freight crews to cut off the caboose and leave it in that track--it made sense for the conductor since it was right opposite the yard office in the old station.

I took lots and lots of photos on the E&N in those days, but they are mostly slides and I still don't have the capability to scan slides into my computer.  Don't worry, though, as soon as I can I'll be posting them here.

Cheers.

torch
Historian

« Reply #559 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 6:58pm »

there was  two  warehouse customers on that spur. I dont recall what they were.. one of them is  visible where the track straightens out alongside the building..the next was a block west of that,after crossing another road(road name escapes me,sorry) It was a  fenced in customer.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  ...  94 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »