Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 1:13pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

E&N/SVI photos and video
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   E&N/SVI photos and video
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ...  96 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: E&N/SVI photos and video  (Read 12352 times)
Bear_Creek

View Profile  

Re: Post your E&N photos....
  mar03duncan_2.jpg - 98576 Bytes
« Reply #220 on: Mar 26th, 2005, 11:42am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Duncan timetable, March 3rd

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/mar03duncan_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Bear_Creek

View Profile  

mar03wellcox_1.jpg - 109160 Bytes
« Reply #221 on: Mar 26th, 2005, 11:44am »

Wellcox, March 3rd with the crew working on 3809

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/mar03wellcox_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CLC Fan

View Profile  

3303CP8839_Esquimalt.jpg - 64111 Bytes
« Reply #222 on: Mar 27th, 2005, 3:36am »

July 1984.  Jon Bentz photograph.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/3303CP8839_Esquimalt.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #223 on: Mar 28th, 2005, 11:36pm »

Two questions regarding the shot of the SW in the vic west yard:

What do you think would have been in those boxcars in 1989?

Did the rails still run into the freighthouse for unloading to those trucks?

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #224 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 1:17am »

There was several places recieving incoming boxcar loads at that time, Kelly Douglas, Garden City, Standard Furniture, also the ramp at the roundhouse would get car loads and CN was still getting the odd car, the plywood mill was going then and the crews would often switch it on thier way south, there was no track at that time going to those frieght houses, also in the picture did you notice the three potash hoppers near the roundhouse? those were brought down to use as idlers when switching Garden City though most times the crews just used empty boxcars.

torch
Historian

« Reply #225 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 2:12am »

"idlers" for garden city?...that sounds strange.....Ive watched the crews switch garden city at least 15 or 20 odd times throughout the 80s and beginning of the 90s and ive never seen them use those cars....the cars you are talking about are actually clay slurry cars...there were six of them against the car shop and they were there for years...i think they went back up north in two seperate mooves...around early 1990 or late 89 i saw a northbound pass throo langford with a few of them in the head end consist.....im still interested about the concept of crews using idlers to reach garden city though....ive seen the switcher go right in there solo to retrieve a boxcar....was there a concern at one point about too much weight on the old trackage at that spur?....regarding potash,i see it shipped in standard 100 ton covered hoppers nowdays.  The last time i ever saw cars unloaded at the cp transport warehouse in the vic west yard was the end of 70s...it might have continiued on sometime after that but i dont recall...those two parallel spur tracks were torn out by the early-mid 80s.

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #226 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 12:23am »

After the rebuilding of the store street trackage the crews found switching Garden city sometimes diffcult i was there when they put a QC boxcar on the ground, i know the crews were concerned more with the heavier units and you are correct that the switcher could run in on its own and grab a car, i was told by several crew members that those cars were brought down for idlers in fact there was several old flat cars used  before them...i was told they were old potash cars...these are not to be  confused with the car loads of clay slurry that was brought down to load onto the oil rig at Esquimalt, those were diffirent cars (and very heavy) getting back to idlers etc i found many times it was "diffirent strokes for diffirent folks" with the E&N crews some crews would bring thier Duncan and Cassidy empties right into Victoria other crews would leave them at Koksilah, they would sometimes take cars from Wellcox as idlers for thier train as well, several times i saw them use M&B thrall door cars or empty clay cars, they would roll South through Duncan the night before and North the next day, idlers were sometimes used to reach into the gas spur at Langford.

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #227 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 1:27am »

Hillbank,

Do you know where the oil rig was drilling?

torch
Historian

« Reply #228 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 2:35am »

ok...thanks hillbank.that does make more sense to me.....after the rebuilding of store street's track,was that curve through the parking lot a tighter radius than previously?...i never had the  fortune of watching any GP unit switch there although i hear it had been done on  several occasions.I do recall seeing the vic turn with many empties picked up from the gas dealer in cassidy and i know there was at one point,some regulation concerning  having to use a spacer car between a locomotive and a propane tank or btween a caboose and propane tank.i lived in langford as a youth and the propane dealer was the easiest place for guarenteed railfanning 3 nights of the week,not to mention the moulding mill ,the coremark warehouse and even transloads made on the town siding.

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #229 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 1:39am »

Hey Torch, thats true the curve into Garden City was alot tighter after the store street rebuilding, it sometimes gave the crews in the GPs  trouble another problem they encounted was switching the larger cars there, the 40 ft,s were no problem but the large newer cars with diffirent draw bars.
When a train had only popane cars in its consist it did not need idlers however if there was one or more non propane cars there had to be car or cars between the engine and between the Caboose, sometimes there would be a single boxcar for Victoria but several propane or LPG cars so the crew would have to take an empty from Wellcox or if they had set out loads at Duncan would grab an empty grain car, if there was a water car on it could be counted as an idler.
Hey Cody the oil rig was down from Alaska i know there was several that were worked on by the shipyards in Victoria over several years in the late 80,s one train brought in 11 car loads of the clay (drilling mud)

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #230 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 1:17am »

Hey Mark,

Is that a ballast train behind the excavators?   That would be quite a good sized M.O.W. train for the Esquimalt and Nanaimo

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #231 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 1:23am »

The excavators on the flats were for construction of the Vancouver Island Gas pipeline, a number of cars were unloaded at the ramp at Parksville, the ramp is located on the short team track on the Port sub, there was some heavy equipment that was also unloaded there for the inland highway construction, pipe for the gas line came over by rail to Wellcox to be unloaded or by truck from Vancouver, alot of people could not understand why CP did not unload some of the carloads of pipe at Cobble Hill and Malahat as the pipeline was being built a few miles away.
great pics and thanks for posting them.

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #232 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 1:31am »

Welcome to the group Mark. Those excavators where probally offloaded at the team track and used for the Island highway project which was being carried out at that time. The Parksville yard was sort of a staging area for heavy equipment and supplies for the highway project. Lots of other heavy equipment and materials were also brought in. Numerous steel and concrete bridge girders were tranported and offloaded in the small yard. I have some photos from 1991 or 1992 somewhere of two boxcars being unloaded at the same spot. I believe they were unloading steel rebar.  

Hope to see more pictures like this in the future!

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2005, 1:33am by ENR3005 » Logged
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #233 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 1:45am »

on Apr 9th, 2005, 1:17am, Cody wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Mark,

Is that a ballast train behind the excavators?   That would be quite a good sized M.O.W. train for the Esquimalt and Nanaimo

During the late 80s and early 90s I always seemed to see a string of hoppers stuck on one of the sidings. I believe they were still loading ballast at Dunsmuir at that time. There were a good dozen of them stuck in the siding by the team ramp when I visited in the winter of 92. In the summer of 88 I rode the dayliner which passed a ballast train that exceeded the length of the siding next to the old Buckerfields in Parksville. That was something to see!

Mark J
Former Member

« Reply #234 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 12:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Mar 29th, 2005, 1:17am, hillbank wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...also in the picture did you notice the three potash hoppers near the roundhouse? those were brought down to use as idlers when switching Garden City though most times the crews just used empty boxcars.

So that's what was up with those stubby hopper cars.  I often wondered about those.

When I took that picture I was 14 years old, that one is one of my favorites.  My brother and I were lucky enough to have had the opportunity to ride the freight train from Nanimo to Victoria and back.  We rode the second unit, 5019 south bound and 3009 north bound.  I've got some pictures of the trip, mabye I'll get around to posting some soon.

Cheers

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #235 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 1:30am »

thanks again Mark...did you get any pics of the steam (weed) train that CP had on the island?...regarding the ballast trains, i rode one once that had 22 hoppers, some trains also had on a few air-dumps as well, the balast Pit at Fiddicks was where CP used to get thier ballast and 18 cars could be loaded at a time, i to saw loaded hoppers at Parksville sidings  and a hogger told me that sometimes a few loads of ballast were needed as required and either the Courtenay or Port turn would grab them and spread then where needed....a good time to catch a ballast train was just after the tie gang had been over and there was many meets with both frieght and passengers...anybody got pics?

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #236 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 1:02am »

Great shots Mark! We are in the process of moving for the next week so I have not been able to see whats going on, but from what I see keep the great posts. Our place sold a month quicker than I thought it would so we are scrambling to get things packed. While packing stuff I found some more early 90s E&N photos and a ton (200+) photos from 2000 and 2001 that I shot of remaining operations in the southern BC interior. I will be scanning these and posting them when I get settle again. The BC interior stuff will end up in the CP Discussion forum unless a dedicated forum is created before then.  

It would be nice to have some shots of a ballast train. Helmut Wisinger has some shots of a ballast train in Nanoose Bay on one of his videos, other than then that I have never seen any photos. The only ballast train I have seen in operation was during my first trip on the dayliner back in July 1989 when I was 12. My parents dropped me off in Courtenay and sent me up to Victoria to stay a friend for a week. Along the way we cought up to a long ballast train (20+ hoppers) in front of us on the East leg of the Parksville wye. Our crew brought the dayliner to a stop short of the train and got out to talk to the work crews as to how we were going to get past the ballast train. There was track equipment stuck in the siding and on the main of the Port Sub and Victoria Sub. To make matters more difficult the train itself exceeded the length of the station sidings. The crew ended up deciding to throw the switch for the wye, we then backed up past the switch and then moved onto the wye just short of the switch next to a huge pile of rotten ties. The ballast train with it's three 38s then proceeded to backup past the east wye switch with enough room for us to pull out. We then backed up onto the main again and then proceeded to the station. I was amazed that day by the amount of equipment and work being done. I wish I had a camera back then.

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #237 on: Apr 19th, 2005, 1:45am »

I seem to recall a video where it is showing the Victoria turn switching Fiddicks pit, there was other E&N operations on it as well, cannot remember that date but it was after the cabooses were dropped, i do remember that meet at Parksville though in 1989! i had a scanner then and Murphys Law was working very well that day for the unfortunate crews, there was lots of shouting going back and forth among the tie gang the section crews and the train crews, also there was a new dispatcher out of Vancouver on that day that made things even worse.

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #238 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 1:18am »

on Apr 19th, 2005, 1:45am, hillbank wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I seem to recall a video where it is showing the Victoria turn switching Fiddicks pit, there was other E&N operations on it as well, cannot remember that date but it was after the cabooses were dropped, i do remember that meet at Parksville though in 1989! i had a scanner then and Murphys Law was working very well that day for the unfortunate crews, there was lots of shouting going back and forth among the tie gang the section crews and the train crews, also there was a new dispatcher out of Vancouver on that day that made things even worse.

That video scene is part of the Rails On Vancouver Island video and it was shot in the late spring of 1994 around the time the Canucks were making a run for the Stanley cup as you can see by the Brakeman in one of the shots sporting his Canucks playoff t-shirt. No E&N and no NHL hockey what is this world coming to  

Mark J
Former Member

« Reply #239 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 5:01am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Apr 13th, 2005, 1:02am, ENR3005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...While packing stuff I found some more early 90s E&N photos and a ton (200+) photos from 2000 and 2001 that I shot of remaining operations in the southern BC interior. I will be scanning these and posting them when I get settle again. The BC interior stuff will end up in the CP Discussion forum unless a dedicated forum is created before then...

How are things coming along?  I hate moving, looks like we will be moving soon too, what a pain in the neck.  

I was just wondering if you could mabye post a few shots you have found.  Where are your shots from the BC interior taken?  Perhaps we could use the 'Crowsnest pass and area photos' thread, or start a new one, what ever.  I have tons of recent pics of the Windermere and Cranbrook subs as well as some from the Moyie sub and eastern end of the Nelson sub.  This summer I am planning to tag along with the McConnel turn and ride a freight along Kootenay lake into Nelson just for the sake of doing it.  This is a night run so I'll have to wait until the days get longer to be able to take any pictures.

Later...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ...  96 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »