Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 5:03am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

E&N/SVI photos and video
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   E&N/SVI photos and video
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86  ...  96 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: E&N/SVI photos and video  (Read 12363 times)
Pyronova

View Profile  

Re: E&N/SVI photos and video

« Reply #1560 on: Mar 10th, 2012, 8:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Looks like they've just filled in the rails to facilitate vehicular traffic?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

matty_voodoo
TRAINing

« Reply #1561 on: Mar 10th, 2012, 11:05pm »

I was down there today, I'm curious as to what they are going to do there.

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #1562 on: Mar 20th, 2012, 3:44pm »

I updated the Great Central Sub thread specifically, but I thought I should include a heads up in this thread since people come here often to figure out where old ROWs are.

If you have Google Earth on your computer, you can download the "Land Ownership and Status" KML file from the BC Gov "Open Data" website:

It's actually the most popular download apparently, so it's on the frontpage:
http://www.data.gov.bc.ca/

Or download the file directly at this link:
http://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/kml/BCGov_Land_Ownership_and_Status_loader.kml

It layers a gigantic amount of information, so it is not for the faint of computer, but if you switch off everything but "Crown Rights of Way" and "Crown Transportation Surveys" then it's pretty good.

You end up with a resource that shows you exactly where a huge amount of ROWs are on Vancouver Island including Extension, Ladysmith, Lake Cowichan, Great Central, and others:

Railway ROWs are in Red, they're really thin in this picture because I zoomed out as far as I could so you could see how many there are in just this region. (You can see some snaking away from Chemainus) :

Click the link for a larger version.
http://www.murkyview.com/images/ROWs2.jpg

And here is a zoomed in shot of the Great Central sub.

Hopefully that helps in your trecks to find the buried ROWs of the E&N!

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
KVR3005
Former Member
Re: Post your E&N photos....

« Reply #1563 on: Apr 12th, 2012, 12:13am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I have that unit in HO scale on Jan 18th, 2007, 11:13pm, CrashNational wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Somewhere on the E&N.

KVR3005
Former Member

« Reply #1564 on: Apr 12th, 2012, 12:33am »

I think they put in the loading track because SVI couldn't go up to Courtenay because of the condition of the track.on Dec 29th, 2011, 2:53pm, vicguy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
New pole yard at Wellcox:

New pole yard loading ramp:  

Does anybody know if this auger is being used? Are they unloading grain or feed here?

KVR3005
Former Member

« Reply #1565 on: Apr 29th, 2012, 8:53pm »

I guess one the tracks are repaired and trains start going back up to Courtney  
they can use this platform for other customers to use. on Apr 12th, 2012, 12:33am, KVR3005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I think they put in the loading track because SVI couldn't go up to Courtenay because of the condition of the track.

KVR3005
Former Member

« Reply #1566 on: Apr 30th, 2012, 6:39pm »

Nice photo , SVI sure leaves a lot of junk sitting around wellcox.on Sep 15th, 2009, 9:27pm, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Over the years, decades actually, a trip to Nanaimo has not been complete without a visit to Wellcox.  On this hot September 2009 day there seemed to be a strange chill in the air.  Somewhat dank.  Anybody believe in ghosts?

KVR3005
Former Member

« Reply #1567 on: May 3rd, 2012, 7:57pm »

Why were there two switchers and what customer was receiving clay slurry hoppers ?  on Nov 12th, 2007, 3:23am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
vic west again.. early 90s. Look at all the  propane tankers in the yard, The attempts at unloading propane at the loading dock proved unsuccessful when they realized there was no unloading lading rack.  lol   See the old  clay slurry hoppers  next to the car shop?  I remember the  day when those finally left victoria on a northbound.

KVR3005
Former Member

« Reply #1568 on: May 20th, 2012, 10:10pm »

I am making a video tribute to the roundhouse on youtube and I was wondering if I could use your photos in the video to show what the roundhouse was once like. I will credit the photos to you. I will not use your photos without your permission.on Nov 13th, 2007, 5:02pm, Goose5 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
13. When arriving back in Victoria, I found a northbound freight made up and ready to depart.

KVR3005
Former Member

« Reply #1569 on: May 20th, 2012, 10:12pm »

They are going to build condos for seniors where they leveled the ground.on Mar 10th, 2012, 7:37pm, vicguy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Stopped by the roundhouse this afternoon, was expecting to find a lot track ripped out but I don't think any has? Here are a few photos:

New area cleared and leveled, future parking lot?

Gravel has been added all around the front of the roundhouse:

Tracks remain here:

Looking down beside the car shop:

blackdog
Railfan

« Reply #1570 on: Jun 15th, 2012, 4:13pm »

If you're going to build condos, you dig holes for footings, you don't start by putting gravel down. That's just a temporary surface so that someone doesn't wreck his suspension driving a vehicle over it.

vicguy
Historian
  IMG_1268-001.jpg - 118680 Bytes
« Reply #1571 on: Jun 23rd, 2012, 5:28pm »

Atkins Road E&N crossing recently paved over for a bike race. The asphalt is supposed to be removed sometime after the race.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_1268-001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
imprezzed
Enthusiast

« Reply #1572 on: Jun 23rd, 2012, 10:37pm »

on Jun 23rd, 2012, 5:28pm, vicguy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Atkins Road E&N crossing recently paved over for a bike race. The asphalt is supposed to be removed sometime after the race.

Uh oh. So it begins. Next they remove the crossing signals because they are a hazard to low flying aircraft. Next goes the signal bungalows because they're encroaching on the natural habitat of some fern.  

A bike race.  

They PAVED OVER a segment of a supposedly ACTIVE railway.

Something stinks to high heaven.

thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #1573 on: Jun 23rd, 2012, 11:56pm »

on Jun 23rd, 2012, 10:37pm, imprezzed wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Uh oh. So it begins. Next they remove the crossing signals because they are a hazard to low flying aircraft. Next goes the signal bungalows because they're encroaching on the natural habitat of some fern.  

A bike race.  

They PAVED OVER a segment of a supposedly ACTIVE railway.

Something stinks to high heaven.

Oh for gosh sakes! Take a look at the photo. If they don't remove the excess asphalt in a few days, it is going to start flying out and breaking headlights. It is obviously just a quicky patch job so they can hold their bike race or whatever. That is definitely NOT a permanent installation.

I know we can sometimes get emotional about the state of the E&N ... but this kind of thing is really not necessary.

Will MacKenzie
Flamborough, ON

imprezzed
Enthusiast

« Reply #1574 on: Jun 25th, 2012, 7:17pm »

Will;

It's the principle of the matter. Where else have you ever heard of a municipality paving over a railroad crossing on an active railway for a BIKE RACE of all things? It's weak, and you know it.

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1575 on: Jun 25th, 2012, 7:33pm »

I was going to thank Will for injecting a note of reason into the conversation.

I don't like seeing crossings paved over, but I can understand why, in this case.  I've taken a tumble off my bike when the wheel got caught in a crossing, and the results were painful, to put it mildly.  For a bike race, why not?  You can be sure that if the municipality doesn't take the asphalt out, SRY will, and will bill accordingly.

When the north end of the Victoria sub was out of service in the 1970s, some lengths of rail got removed, and the odd crossing probably got paved over as well.  It happens; the trains still came back eventually.

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #1576 on: Jun 25th, 2012, 8:00pm »

on Jun 25th, 2012, 7:17pm, imprezzed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Will;

It's the principle of the matter. Where else have you ever heard of a municipality paving over a railroad crossing on an active railway for a BIKE RACE of all things? It's weak, and you know it.

No, it isn't weak! Here in southern Ontario, a couple of major freeways in Toronto get shut down several times a year for cycle events!
There is increased danger to the cyclists at an angled crossing, such as the one in photo. All it would take is one cyclenut to crash and then sue ...
Sometimes I get so frustrated with a lot of the political sniping and crap that goes on here! I rarely ever go on the other E&N forum because it is often worse.
Look -- everyone -- the political sniping and libel that goes on here doesn't help AT ALL!
I don't agree with all the ideas that have been put forward for revitalizing the E&N (commuter rail is an example of something that doesn't turn my crank because of the huge costs/low return) but at least the people putting forward those ideas are doing so in a spirit of good will and genuinely feel it would be positive.
But the crying over the temporary paving over of a dangerous crossing in order to hold a safe bike race is just ridiculous. If you knew anything at all about asphalt pavement, you would realize it is definitely a temporary installation.
Oh ... and just because I now live in Ontario, doesn't mean I don't care about the E&N. I grew up next to the Lake Cowichan branch -- and feel very strongly that the first km from Hayward to Sherman Rd should NOT have been sold off!
And it is my hope to return to the island to live sometime in the next few years.

Will MacKenzie
Flamborough, ON

imprezzed
Enthusiast

« Reply #1577 on: Jun 25th, 2012, 9:49pm »

Meh. Maybe I got carried away... Considering that particular line hasn't seen a train in over a year now. It's hard to stay positive these days...

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #1578 on: Jun 25th, 2012, 9:56pm »

on Jun 25th, 2012, 9:49pm, imprezzed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Meh. Maybe I got carried away... Considering that particular line hasn't seen a train in over a year now. It's hard to stay positive these days...

I sympathize, but to be fair, the ICF (love 'em or hate 'em) did say at the trackwork would not start until the fall.

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

19851110-11_899x609.jpg - 69125 Bytes
« Reply #1579 on: Aug 12th, 2012, 8:57pm »

Sometimes, with all the gloom and uncertainty surrounding our favorite railway, a little nostalgia can be therapeutic.  I've been scanning a few more of my slides and here are some of my E&N faves.

First, was anyone else there the day the downtown station opened?  There was a time when the sun shone on our railway (although I remember that day was quite cold).  RDC1 6134 did the honours.  November 10, 1985.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/19851110-11_899x609.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86  ...  96 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »