Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 24th, 2017, 11:02pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

E&N/SVI photos and video
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   E&N/SVI photos and video
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78  ...  95 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: E&N/SVI photos and video  (Read 11810 times)
CPRail4744
Historian
Re: E&N/SVI photos and video

« Reply #1400 on: Feb 28th, 2011, 4:55pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I think U-boats were a General Electric product...I think...

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
MinionII
Historian

« Reply #1401 on: Feb 28th, 2011, 7:40pm »

on Feb 11th, 2011, 8:47am, joncalon wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Modelling Courtenay reasonably accurate in 1988 would mean what when it comes to putting these industries in?

In other words, how much of this stuff was still there in '88?

Jon

ENR3005 may have done some research on just this topic for the E&N MSTS route he was working on. You might try PMing him.

CN7059
Historian

« Reply #1402 on: Feb 28th, 2011, 8:13pm »

on Feb 28th, 2011, 4:55pm, CPRail4744 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I think U-boats were a General Electric product...I think...

Yes they were.  

Fun fact: the GP30 car body was styled by General Motors automotive stylists in Troy, Michigan. This was done because EMD wanted the locomotive to look "updated and modern".

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2011, 8:15pm by CN7059 » Logged

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

Piglet
Historian

« Reply #1403 on: Feb 28th, 2011, 11:44pm »

Those are lovely shots.  The GP30 is certainly an eye catcher and product of its time styling wise.  I loved all the thrall all doors behind the engines.  We were cataloging equiptment here this weekend and my partner was asking about that style of car so its nice to be able to show her the real thing.

we learn from the past
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #1404 on: Feb 28th, 2011, 11:53pm »

on Feb 28th, 2011, 4:12am, CN7059 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Is that a U Boat I see in the middle?

I don't think CP had any GE's until the AC4400's.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
SRY 110
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1405 on: Mar 1st, 2011, 12:27pm »

LOVE THE OLD CP pics

More focus on the positive...less on the negative..
MinionII
Historian

« Reply #1406 on: Mar 1st, 2011, 9:10pm »

on Mar 1st, 2011, 12:27pm, enr3004 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
LOVE THE OLD CP pics

2nded.

Post more.  

ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #1407 on: Mar 3rd, 2011, 10:07am »

ive got a model of number 5000 its pretty cool to see a bunch of pictures of it on the island. there is a video some where on here of a cab ride and 5000 is in the set.

tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #1408 on: Mar 3rd, 2011, 11:26am »

on Mar 3rd, 2011, 10:07am, ENRFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)
ive got a model of number 5000 its pretty cool to see a bunch of pictures of it on the island. there is a video some where on here of a cab ride and 5000 is in the set.

Yes I think Sidewinder posted a video on you tube of a trip we made together on a frieght train to Port Alberni, it may still be there. The cab's were quite small on a GP 30 compared to GP 9's, 35's and 38's.

Sidewinder
Historian
  Diamond.jpg - 69392 Bytes
« Reply #1409 on: Mar 3rd, 2011, 4:18pm »

on Mar 3rd, 2011, 11:26am, tfctrains wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yes I think Sidewinder posted a video on Youtube.

Yes, here is a link to one of the videos showing a GP30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz0f4sCPso0

Enr3004 and Minionll made comment about scenes from the CP days.  Here is one from the days when a train would never show up at the diamond (Ladysmith) when the lighting was just right.  August 15, 1982

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Diamond.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2011, 4:19pm by Sidewinder » Logged
SRY1202
Railfan

« Reply #1410 on: Mar 3rd, 2011, 6:57pm »

on Mar 3rd, 2011, 4:18pm, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yes, here is a link to one of the videos showing a GP30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz0f4sCPso0

Enr3004 and Minionll made comment about scenes from the CP days.  Here is one from the days when a train would never show up at the diamond (Ladysmith) when the lighting was just right.  August 15, 1982

That photo is awesome! The lighting might not be what you would hope for, but it is still a fantastic photo. (It also helps that it is my favourite historic location on the line.)

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #1411 on: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:36am »

on Mar 3rd, 2011, 6:57pm, SRY1202 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

That photo is awesome! The lighting might not be what you would hope for, but it is still a fantastic photo. (It also helps that it is my favourite historic location on the line.)

Awesome, you say.... that has a nice ring to it.
I would have to say it is my favourite location, too.  It certainly was a mecca for me when log trains pounded the diamond.  Royston would have been just as intriguing with the E&N, Comox Logging, and Canadian Collieries interchanging complete with a diamond crossing like Ladysmith but I never saw the area until only the E&N remained.  

vicguy
Historian

« Reply #1412 on: Apr 9th, 2011, 7:54pm »

VIA RDC's in the Vic West roundhouse this afternoon:

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #1413 on: Apr 10th, 2011, 1:30am »

Nice pics!
What staff was around when you stopped by?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

vicguy
Historian

« Reply #1414 on: Apr 10th, 2011, 2:26am »

on Apr 10th, 2011, 1:30am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Nice pics!
What staff was around when you stopped by?

Thanks Pyro! I saw 2 guys, I guess they were with Herzog, the company with the maintenance contract. It was sad being in there knowing that the RDC's will soon be gone for good and the roundhouse will be home to Starbucks type shops.

Chris

Rail videos here
canfor113
TRAINing

« Reply #1415 on: Apr 10th, 2011, 4:24am »

What is going on with the railroad? Is it really shutting down

vicguy
Historian

« Reply #1416 on: Apr 10th, 2011, 5:15am »

on Apr 10th, 2011, 4:24am, canfor113 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
What is going on with the railroad? Is it really shutting down

It's been covered more in depth in other threads but basically VIA suspended service on the island because of poor track conditions. ICF has done some repairs but VIA says it isn't good enough. ICF claims they don't have enough funds for repairs and will need $15 million from the government to continue track and infrastructure repairs. If they don't get this money they said they will not be able to operate the railway anymore. Freight service hasn't been interrupted, but operates under slow orders on much of the line.  

The roundhouse and surrounding property has all been sold to a developer, regardless of what happens to the E&N, so the "working" roundhouse era is coming to a close anyways. The link below shows what is planned for the roundhouse.

http://www.bayviewresidences.com/roundhouse.html

Oh yeah, last month the Victoria Station was severed from the rest of the railway as the Johnson Street rail bridge was found to be structurally unsafe for the RDC's (and bikes, pedestrians.....) and the city won't be repairing it.

Thats what's going on as far as I understand it, if I made any errors please correct me! Things don't look good for the E&N at all, but you never know, anything can happen  

Chris

Rail videos here
canfor113
TRAINing

« Reply #1417 on: Apr 10th, 2011, 3:33pm »

Well if something does happen, would someone please let me know. Either if it's the railway shutting down, or the railway goes back into service. I think it's a good idea on what's happening to the roundhouse. I have always wanted it to get fixed up. I thought they were going to tear it down, but by the looks of it, i guess they are going to fix it up and build condos around it. At least they are going to keep the place standing, and keep parts of the roundhouse for i guess railway usage, and turn the section where there are no tracks into a restaurant. As long as it's getting fixed up, then i am happy. But if the railway and the budd cars get shut for good, then i am going to be really upset. If they shut everything down then, what are they going to do to the stations and the track, and the trains

cycledude
Railfan

« Reply #1418 on: May 13th, 2011, 5:08pm »

This train left the station . . .
E&N Dayliner 30-second VIDEO

Speeder
Historian
  photo.jpg - 82003 Bytes
« Reply #1419 on: Jul 8th, 2011, 5:56pm »

Hey, we seem to have a new field in Vic West...  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/photo.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78  ...  95 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »