Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 6:00pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

E&N/SVI photos and video
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   E&N/SVI photos and video
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  ...  95 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: E&N/SVI photos and video  (Read 10845 times)
vicguy
Historian
Re: E&N/SVI photos and video

« Reply #1240 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 9:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

$25-30 sounds good to me, I'll be buying a copy when your finished

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #1241 on: Jun 18th, 2009, 12:39am »

on Jun 17th, 2009, 6:52pm, CP8673 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Seems reasonable.  You might want to check with Helmut Wissenger, who did the KVR video and some others.  I beleive he sells his for $25 at train shows.

That sounds about right....
I have Helmut's E&N which includes a Port Turn.  It is VHS, though.

I personally have issues with paying anything more than $12-15 for a DVD.  VHS- when it was "the" media I thought was a gouge over $19.  Call me cheap; but a blank DVD is, what, $.25-.50 or less in bulk?  
IF you are selling to mail-order; sell for $15 inc postage - domestic.
IF you are selling at a train show, and it's over 75 mins, then maybe $25; to recuperate your table cost.

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

Jason King
Historian

« Reply #1242 on: Jun 18th, 2009, 2:36pm »

on Jun 18th, 2009, 12:39am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

That sounds about right....
I have Helmut's E&N which includes a Port Turn.  It is VHS, though.

I personally have issues with paying anything more than $12-15 for a DVD.  VHS- when it was "the" media I thought was a gouge over $19.  Call me cheap; but a blank DVD is, what, $.25-.50 or less in bulk?  
IF you are selling to mail-order; sell for $15 inc postage - domestic.
IF you are selling at a train show, and it's over 75 mins, then maybe $25; to recuperate your table cost.

Actually name brand DVDs are now about, oh, 15 cents a piece now so the actual cost of the final product in materials is almost nothing.

The costs that have to be paid for is the investment in equipment. At the time I shot that video, I had about $7000.00 invested in gear. Now that I have moved to full broadcast HD production, I've added nearly $20,000 worth to the total.

Sadly the Port trip wasn't shot in HD but it was shot with a very nice camera, for the time but if I can find some time in the next while, I'm hoping to shoot a little Vancouver Island action in HD.

And of course if I hire someone to write some music instead of doing it myself, there's a cost involved there. And a narrator if I hire someone will also add to my bottom line.

My goal though is to do something and sell it for a fair price though so I'm reading these comments with interest.

And before you think "Music, narrator? NO!" don't worry, I have an interesting idea for the DVD.

There's some sample stills from the video here:

http://web.uvic.ca/~jasonk/samplephotos_000.htm

Cheers.

J\

thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #1243 on: Jun 18th, 2009, 4:29pm »

on Jun 18th, 2009, 2:36pm, Jason King wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Actually name brand DVDs are now about, oh, 15 cents a piece now so the actual cost of the final product in materials is almost nothing.

The costs that have to be paid for is the investment in equipment. At the time I shot that video, I had about $7000.00 invested in gear. Now that I have moved to full broadcast HD production, I've added nearly $20,000 worth to the total.

Sadly the Port trip wasn't shot in HD but it was shot with a very nice camera, for the time but if I can find some time in the next while, I'm hoping to shoot a little Vancouver Island action in HD.

And of course if I hire someone to write some music instead of doing it myself, there's a cost involved there. And a narrator if I hire someone will also add to my bottom line.

My goal though is to do something and sell it for a fair price though so I'm reading these comments with interest.

And before you think "Music, narrator? NO!" don't worry, I have an interesting idea for the DVD.

There's some sample stills from the video here:

http://web.uvic.ca/~jasonk/samplephotos_000.htm

Cheers.

J\

Sorry about the length .. and leaving in both previous quotes ... BUT
As someone who dabbles in video production, and who has also done voice-over narration on a professional basis for more years than I care to remember, I fully understand the amount of time that goes into producing a video.
Even at $25 to $30, the producer is going to have to be extremely fortunate to wind up with enough profit to buy himself a Happy Meal!
Remember, regular video is shot at approx 30 frames per second. (HD is usually 60 frames/second). I have seen myself spend more than an hour to come up with about five seconds of finished video, when it comes to ensuring good edits, especially when working with raw sound.
The market for this type of video is actually quite small -- maybe a few hundred will be sold -- over the next five to ten years!
But if the producer has spent hundreds of hours to put it together, then the costs of having the duplicates made, labels printed, cases printed etc (all up-front costs by the way), he should probably be charging much more than 25 to 30 dollars if he values his own time at anything over minimum wage!
I will now get down off my soapbox.
Thanks
Will

Piglet
Historian

« Reply #1244 on: Jun 19th, 2009, 1:15am »

Personally, twenty-five to thirty would be fine by me, as I understand how small the acutal market for this would be.

I have a few other videos of Island railroading, and they have generally have cost me that much in Canadian funds, not to mention any that have come from the US or other places.

we learn from the past
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

NSS_Langford.jpg - 49492 Bytes
« Reply #1245 on: Jul 19th, 2009, 2:21pm »

North switch Langford...just because I was there and the train wasn't

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/NSS_Langford.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

NSS_Langord_closeup.jpg - 51460 Bytes
« Reply #1246 on: Jul 19th, 2009, 2:22pm »

Still waiting...closeup of the lock

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/NSS_Langord_closeup.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

6135N_1.jpg - 54545 Bytes
« Reply #1247 on: Jul 19th, 2009, 2:23pm »

Dayliner leaving after picking up most of the passengers

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/6135N_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

6135N_2.jpg - 46329 Bytes
« Reply #1248 on: Jul 19th, 2009, 2:25pm »

Because someone mistook the bus drivers washroom for the station, they stopped to pick up the rest of the passengers giving me time to make it a few blocks north for this one.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/6135N_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #1249 on: Jul 20th, 2009, 9:08pm »

on Jul 19th, 2009, 2:25pm, CP8673 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Because someone mistook the bus drivers washroom for the station, they stopped to pick up the rest of the passengers giving me time to make it a few blocks north for this one.

Thats funny , well if all goes well, it will be the future station site.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

CH1.jpg - 59467 Bytes
« Reply #1250 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 5:21pm »

Today's Duncan turn at Chemainus waiting for the Budds to go by

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CH1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

CH2.jpg - 61329 Bytes
« Reply #1251 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 5:22pm »

Dayliner @ Chemainus

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CH2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

CH3.jpg - 58547 Bytes
« Reply #1252 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 5:24pm »

Duncan Turn leaving shortly thereafter

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CH3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

RC1.jpg - 60285 Bytes
« Reply #1253 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 5:28pm »

Arriving at Top Shelf

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/RC1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

RC2.jpg - 56394 Bytes
« Reply #1254 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 5:29pm »

Another one from Top Shelf...went home afterwards

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/RC2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #1255 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 6:25pm »

That your Ford Focus??

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1256 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 6:35pm »

on Jul 21st, 2009, 6:25pm, bcr4604 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That your Ford Focus??

Nope...my ride would be the white Grand Marquis in the switch stand photo.

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #1257 on: Jul 22nd, 2009, 3:18am »

on Jul 21st, 2009, 6:35pm, CP8673 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Nope...my ride would be the white Grand Marquis in the switch stand photo.

You trying to be the E&N Rail Police?  

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1258 on: Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:34am »

on Jul 22nd, 2009, 3:18am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

You trying to be the E&N Rail Police?  

I must say I have a greater number of people slowing down around me than I do on the occasions I have dad's car.  Sometimes that's a big P I T A when trying to get to the next photo location.

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:35am by CP8673 » Logged
joncalon
Historian

« Reply #1259 on: Jul 24th, 2009, 10:48am »

on Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:34am, CP8673 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I must say I have a greater number of people slowing down around me than I do on the occasions I have dad's car.  Sometimes that's a big P I T A when trying to get to the next photo location.

I hear ya.  A friend of mine has a former Ford police interceptor (the real deal, after the Calgary Police Service were done abusing it) and on a drive back from Regina, we had a fair number of people slow down/move over/not bother passing us due to the look of the car.

But on the highway, if we wanted someone to move over, we'd put ourselves half on the median shoulder and people would move over real quick.  I've tried doing the same maneuver in my VW Golf and had no success.  

Jon

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  ...  95 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »