Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 11:35am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

E&N/SVI photos and video
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   E&N/SVI photos and video
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69  ...  97 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: E&N/SVI photos and video  (Read 13384 times)
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

Re: E&N/SVI photos and video

« Reply #1220 on: May 21st, 2009, 11:09am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on May 20th, 2009, 7:26pm, Dayliner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Typical operations around that time, as I recall, had the Victoria crew running a turn to Malahat three days a week, where they would swap trains with the crew out of Wellcox.

By 1988, the only Victoria based job was the dayliner.  The freight came south sun-tues-thurs and returned the next day

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1221 on: May 21st, 2009, 1:03pm »

Thanks for that clarification, 8673.  When did the Victoria job end?

And Sidewinder, thanks for the great video that got this little conversation going!

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1222 on: May 21st, 2009, 2:05pm »

on May 21st, 2009, 1:03pm, Dayliner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks for that clarification, 8673.  When did the Victoria job end?

And Sidewinder, thanks for the great video that got this little conversation going!

late 86 or 87 sticks in my mind.  I'd to dig through a file box of old clearances to find out for certain.  But it was before gp-38's showed up over here

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1223 on: May 22nd, 2009, 1:55am »

on May 20th, 2009, 10:26pm, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Great vid!      And about the frieghtcar breakdown.. to 3005: e.h. pope  wasnt a  customer yet in 1988  as they didnt seem to start getting cars until around 1990 or so. That warehouse was built around 1983 and was a distribution/ grocery retail called ' distributer foods'.  My uncle was in management there at the time and they would recieve up to 6 boxcars at a time but that ended and the business vacated around late 1986.  However  at the time of the video CP was still unloading a good number of cars in the vic west  yard plus standard furniture and the langford siding/team track got cars as well as garden city warehousing on the store street spur.

Torch,  

Thanks for the clarification on EH Pope and would explain why I didn’t see any cars when I first visited there in 1988 on a family trip. I took a little unsanctioned railfan trip one evening on my mountain bike to see the siding in Langford and ended up finding ICG Propane and the EH Pope building. I explored the EH Pope spur a bit as the sun went down. I had hoped to see a freight but I had to settle for 3 LPG cars sitting on the ICG spur which was pretty impressive to a kid who had seen his first real freight train on the island a couple of months earlier. We’ll my railfan outing was cut short by some angry parents who were on their way to pickup dinner. They had somehow stumbled upon their 11 year old son on his bike ten or so kilometers from where he said he was going to be. I was promptly grounded and signed up for Air Cadets that summer (why didn't someone ever think of rail Cadets as it would have saved me from years of marching and saluting). Even though I was grounded to their 5th wheel at the campground for the rest of the trip, that outing sticks in my head as one of my favorites.

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2009, 2:08am by ENR3005 » Logged
torch
Historian

« Reply #1224 on: May 22nd, 2009, 9:22pm »

3005:  yes,man...I  can really  relate. Jeez, my  parents  ALWAYS found me  when I strayed on my bike or whatever. Some sort of 6th sense I guess!  haha. I remember around 1990 going down to canwest mall and doing a  double take when I saw a 40 foot canadian pacific boxcar on the warehouse siding. It was an event after not seeing any cars there for 5 years or more.  Oddly enough it seemed like traffic was  actually increasing in the beggining of the 90s.  For a little while after the cnr operation in victoria shutdown borden mercantile was recieving and unloading hoppers in the vic west yard. That plus the high number of propane cars made for some decent length trains.  Vic plywood seemed to be doing steady biz then as  well. I would say 1990 was a decent year for the south end of the vic subdivision. Even vic foundry was unloading gons of  coke in the yard and clorine was shipped to vic west as well!!

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #1225 on: May 23rd, 2009, 12:57am »

on May 21st, 2009, 1:03pm, Dayliner wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Your welcome.

Yes, that was quite an exchange.  Now I am baffled.  What is the consensus of opinion about the destination for those CN boxcars in the video?

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #1226 on: May 23rd, 2009, 1:51am »

I would think those boxcars would be for the Victoria customers like Garden City, Kelly Douglas etc or if any of them are empty Vic Ply .
I am surprised noboby mentioned that the lead unit was not turned on the wye at Stockett which was common practice when unit was long hood forward going South...i say common practice but sometimes the crews did not turn them as they may not have been able to get a work clearance or  were running late with alot of switching to do or just did not fell like doing iton May 23rd, 2009, 12:57am, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Your welcome.

Yes, that was quite an exchange.  Now I am baffled.  What is the consensus of opinion about the destination for those CN boxcars in the video?

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #1227 on: May 23rd, 2009, 2:13am »

Hey Sidewinder, do you have any video of the army trains on the E&N?

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1228 on: May 23rd, 2009, 2:25am »

on May 23rd, 2009, 1:51am, hillbank wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I would think those boxcars would be for the Victoria customers like Garden City, Kelly Douglas etc or if any of them are empty Vic Ply .
I am surprised noboby mentioned that the lead unit was not turned on the wye at Stockett which was common practice when unit was long hood forward going South...i say common practice but sometimes the crews did not turn them as they may not have been able to get a work clearance or  were running late with alot of switching to do or just did not fell like doing it

Probably "too much work" to get 'em back to back and they would rather have them facing the right way going home.

Sidewinder
Historian
  RF_copy.jpg - 29052 Bytes
« Reply #1229 on: May 23rd, 2009, 2:29am »

on May 23rd, 2009, 2:13am, hillbank wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Sidewinder, do you have any video of the army trains on the E&N?

No, afraid not.  That certainly would have been the case of being in the right spot at the right time.  Suspect the army would have been touchy about that anyway.  Seems to me tfctrains got in the glue for taking photos of such a train at Wellcox.

This is the best I can do, nothing exotic like army trains:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XCC2oEW_3w

Thought I might as well post it, too, since it was taken the day after "Duncan Turn II".  Gives a good idea of the length of the trains in those days.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/RF_copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2009, 12:34am by Sidewinder » Logged
vicguy
Historian

« Reply #1230 on: May 26th, 2009, 11:15pm »

MOW equiment parked at Malahat Station, pics taken today (May 26, 2009):

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2009, 11:17pm by vicguy » Logged

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #1231 on: Jun 9th, 2009, 12:10am »

only on our beautiful island is it almost imposible to tell the difference between the mainline and the sideing

ENRFAN
Historian
Re: Post your E&N photos....

« Reply #1232 on: Jun 11th, 2009, 10:08am »

on May 21st, 2008, 10:04pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sweet!  I'll take one..  Anyone want to form the PA Sub Speeder Club?  

this was writen a while ago but i would be so down for that. If we were aloud to i would spend my own time clearing the line! man power could get things done quickly, there are very few grade crossings and i'm sure that the trestles would be more than strong enough for speeders.

Jason King
Historian

« Reply #1233 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 1:44am »

Hey guys, I'm just judging interest here on a project.

As some of you know, I was fortunate to ride along with the crew on the Port turn just a short time before service was suspended and I have about two hours of raw footage that I am planning on editing down to something viewable.

To be blunt, if I were to make this available on DVD, what would a fair price be? I'm a videographer part time, and while I've done a number of other commercial DVDs, I've never done anything for the railfan market.

I'm not looking to make a mint here, just recover my cost. I was thinking of something along the lines of $25 to $30.00.  

I also will include some other footage as well, including some material relating to PAW, who I was doing a promotional video for before they went under.  

Am in the ballpark way out in the parking lot here?

Cheers.

J\

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2009, 2:01am by Jason King » Logged
CPR_9199
Banned User
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #1234 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 2:16am »

Just Curious.

Lots of people here refer to the Pacific Wilderness Railway as PAW-why?

Isnt it PWR if you go by the initials?

I don't  see anyone referring to the CPR as CAP

just wondering

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #1235 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 2:20am »

on Jun 17th, 2009, 2:16am, CPR_9199 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just Curious.

Lots of people here refer to the Pacific Wilderness Railway as PAW-why?

Isnt it PWR if you go by the initials?

I don't  see anyone referring to the CPR as CAP

just wondering

Pacific Wilderness Railway's official reporting marks were PAW. PWR is the Providence and Worcester Railway in New England.

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2009, 2:32am by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Jason King
Historian

« Reply #1236 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 2:44am »

on Jun 17th, 2009, 2:20am, bcr4604 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Pacific Wilderness Railway's official reporting marks were PAW. PWR is the Providence and Worcester Railway in New England.

Yes It took me quite awhile to get "PWR" out of my head and to start calling them "PAW".

Cheers.

J\

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #1237 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 12:53pm »

Jason, IMO $25 to $30 would be perfect.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CN7059
Historian

« Reply #1238 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 2:17pm »

on Jun 17th, 2009, 12:53pm, bcr4604 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Jason, IMO $25 to $30 would be perfect.

I concur, although as a college student with a part time job, I would prefer $25 over $30.

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1239 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 6:52pm »

Seems reasonable.  You might want to check with Helmut Wissenger, who did the KVR video and some others.  I beleive he sells his for $25 at train shows.

Also, see my PM

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69  ...  97 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »