Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 28th, 2017, 9:58pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

E&N/SVI photos and video
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   E&N/SVI photos and video
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  ...  95 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: E&N/SVI photos and video  (Read 11606 times)
CPRail4744
Historian
Re: E&N/SVI photos and video

« Reply #1160 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 4:10am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Glad you got to take the Dayliner, Balto.  Fun little ride, isn't it?

Guys, do we vote him in as our newest Railfan.net E&N Club Member now that he has ridden the Bud's on the Rock?  

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #1161 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 7:24am »

on Mar 18th, 2009, 4:10am, CPRail4744 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Glad you got to take the Dayliner, Balto. †Fun little ride, isn't it?

Guys, do we vote him in as our newest Railfan.net E&N Club Member now that he has ridden the Bud's on the Rock? †

Yup!

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1162 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 11:33pm »

on Mar 18th, 2009, 12:25am, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Thanks for the comment, vicguy. †Yes, the clip showing the train pulling hard for the summit says it all. †Seems like we used to get more acknowledging whistles from the enginemen in those days which adds a nice touch to the videos.

Thanks, also, to ENR3005, tfctrains, thehighwayman, Minionll and CP8673. †Your comments provide encouragment to keep up the process. †I plan to do "Port Alberni Turn II" some time soon.

ENR3005, I had an idea tfctrains would answer your question about the loaded bulkhead. †I was always bent on taking pictures of trains in their element. †Never really payed attention what was loaded where. †In retrospect, it is obvious we should have paid more attention. †Would that wrapped load contain plywood or dimensional lumber? †Strange, I don't remember the CP units heading down to the plywood mill that day so it is a mystery how the bulkhead flat ended up in the outbound consist. †Seems to me towards the end the mill switcher was allowed access to the CP yard. †Can't say for sure if that was the case in 1990.

ENR3005, I just gotta ask. †Talked to a few friends about determining if a GM unit is turbocharged by watching track-side. †Drew a blank. †So what is in the video that proved to you the GP-30 was still turbocharged at the time?

Sidewinder,

The loaded lumber is indeed a bit of a mystery. There were two online lumber mills at the time, one by the main yard and the other by the plywood mill. †According to engineering maps I have from the late 60s, there were three spurs to the mill by the Plywood mill and one to the large mill by the main yard. The spur for the mill by the yard would have diverged right where you see the MacBlo switcher in your video, switching the warehouse spur. A photo that was posted on this forum sometime ago caught my interest and led me to wonder if there was a third option. Could there be a reload spur over by the wye which came of the engine house lead. In the posted photo, an MLW S3 is sitting on the ICG spur by the engine house in front of a switchback switch which would have branched off towards the wye. From photos I have of the adjacent area to the engine house, there would have been a large amount of stacked of lumber but I have no photos of a spur to this area. When I first photographed the area in 1998 all traces of a spur were gone. This spur was not documented on the engineering maps I have so perhaps it was a later short term customer. Perhaps someone might be able to provide some insight.  

A trained ear and some good quality computer hardware are necessary to catch the turbo sounds of the GP30 in your video. The sound of a Roots blower and turbocharger are vastly different. A Roots Blower creates a whining sound and a turbocharger sounds like the exhaust of a jet aircraft in some ways. If you go to 3:05 in your movie and watch the consist roll by, you will hear the turbocharger of the GP30 at about 3:23 as the consist throttles down. You can also hear the turbocharger on the GP30 at 7:28 as the consist rolls by the siding at Cameron Lake. I am using a SoundBlaster X-FI on my system which is a higher end sound card along with a high quality set of earphones. If you are listening with speakers it is harder to hear the turbocharger. I actually have a bet with a retired CP engineer who does some consulting for me who worked on the same units many years ago but swore he thought they were non-turbo after CP did some upgrade work to them. Looks like I am goanna win that bet although I have to admit I have lost a few others. Thanks again for the great video and I look forward to the next one.  

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2009, 12:02am by ENR3005 » Logged
Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #1163 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 12:16am »

on Mar 18th, 2009, 1:35am, Balto wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sidewinder, that was a great video! Makes me wish as well that I was 15 or more years older so I could have seen those myself! Just wondering, what ever happened to that little switcher?

Thanks, Balto.  But, for my sake, don't wish your life away!

Within weeks of CP announcing the end of the Port Alberni sub,  the mill switcher was taken out before it became isolated.  A CP train pulled the switcher out of Alberni.  It may have been in the last consisit over the sub.  The switcher is now in Powell River.

CLC Fan

View Profile  

« Reply #1164 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 12:28am »

Hey Balto, looks like you had some decent weather for your trip.  Here's a vid of your train just leaving Nanaimo station.  I think I saw ya in the window..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXVKmMWF8SA

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #1165 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 12:45am »

on Mar 18th, 2009, 11:33pm, ENR3005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

1. In the posted photo, an MLW S3 is sitting on the ICG spur by the engine house in front of a switchback switch which would have branched off towards the wye. From photos I have of the adjacent area to the engine house, there would have been a large amount of stacked of lumber but I have no photos of a spur to this area. When I first photographed the area in 1998 all traces of a spur were gone. This spur was not documented on the engineering maps I have so perhaps it was a later short term customer. Perhaps someone might be able to provide some insight.  

2. A trained ear and some good quality computer hardware are necessary to catch the turbo sounds of the GP30 in your video.

3.Thanks again for the great video and I look forward to the next one.

1. The photo is in one of my posts. †It was taken during a field trip with tfctrains. †Must look at other photos from that day to see if there is something that will help.

2. Ah... a trained ear! †No wonder the process of identifying a turbocharger escapes me. †Anything over 3000 Hz does not exist in my world. †Minionll mentions a high-pitched whine. That leaves me out. †By the way, thanks, Minionll, for your input. †Glad I asked!

3. †Your welcome. †Am working on "Port Alberni Turn II".  In the process of trying to whittle it down to a manageable size for Youtube, it seems there is enough for "Port Alberni Turn III".

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2009, 11:37am by Sidewinder » Logged
cn2141
Enthusiast

« Reply #1166 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 1:54am »

Well I just tried to post a reply with a nice picture and presto my whole message just dissapeared while trying to resize the photo. This is not the first time trying to post something on this site has pissed me off. Why do I even bother. I think maybe the powers to be should relook at this photo posting thing and perhaps simplify it a little.

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #1167 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 2:12pm »

Trust me, the CP GP30s, or GP35s for that matter were never de-turboed, The issues with these units were electrical, mostly due to the complexity required to get the 2250 or 2500HP out of the technology of the day. The GP35 was worse, and did also have to do with the 567 engine and the main generator being at, or near it's limit. This is why a large number of these units were rebuilt fairly early on by other users..obviously they were successful, particularly on Santa Fe, as they are practically all still in service with BNSF today. CP derated the GP35s to 2250, but they were apparently always a headache(this also explains why they went on a C424 buying spree, the GE electricals used by Alco/MLW were much tougher) From what I have researched(but can't confirm), it is mentioned that they did all(30s & 35s) receive 645 power assemblies at some point, presumably when they were cycled through the early-mid 80's program that reclassed them from DRF to DRS. I've climbed all over 5000 in Edmonton, and †I shot video of 5001 on a freight in Saskatchewan in about 1994, and it clearly has a turbo. When a unit is deturboed, the single turbo exhaust stack is replaced by the 2 regular stacks you see on a GP38, another easy way to tell.(as was the case with the 2099, the Railink "GP20" that was on the island..it was deturboed, making it essentially a GP18 )

Also, keep in mind that on the EMD 2 stroke, the turbo is gear driven for scavenging, in place of the blowers on a non turbo engine, and is clutched to become a "real" turbo at a certain engine RPM. This is why it is so simple to de-turbo them, to reduce costs, pull the turbo off, and install the blowers. A newer practice today seems to be to pin the turbo so they don't come off the clutch(an oversimplification, I'm sure) CSX is doing this with GP40-2's

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2009, 2:15pm by missthealcos » Logged
MinionII
Historian

« Reply #1168 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 8:00pm »

on Mar 19th, 2009, 2:12pm, missthealcos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...Also, keep in mind that on the EMD 2 stroke, the turbo is gear driven for scavenging, in place of the blowers on a non turbo engine, and is clutched to become a "real" turbo at a certain engine RPM. This is why it is so simple to de-turbo them, to reduce costs, pull the turbo off, and install the blowers. A newer practice today seems to be to pin the turbo so they don't come off the clutch(an oversimplification, I'm sure) CSX is doing this with GP40-2's

Clutched turbo:
Huh...I didn't know that, that's a good idea.

Pinned turbo:
I'm not sure what the reason for or benefit of pinning the turbo is...
Perhaps _somewhat_ reduced maintenance from limiting the turbo RPM?

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #1169 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 8:05pm »

on Mar 19th, 2009, 12:28am, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Balto, looks like you had some decent weather for your trip. †Here's a vid of your train just leaving Nanaimo station. †I think I saw ya in the window..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXVKmMWF8SA

For the last few days (maybe week) the Dayliner seems to be 2 cars. Have they had an increase in passengers recently? I thought it was usually 2 cars throughout the summer, and holiday weekends. Whatever the reason, it's good to see 2 cars running.

vicguy
Historian
  IMG_0198.jpg - 38126 Bytes
« Reply #1170 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 10:10pm »

Caught the Duncan Turn today, maybe the last time I'll see the old paint scheme on the island! It was raining when I left Victoria and I was hoping it would let up before I got to Duncan, it did, for a few minutes. It was coming down pretty good so I just got a few pictures in and around Duncan.  

First one is coming down into Duncan beside the Trans Canada Highway:

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_0198.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
vicguy
Historian
  IMG_0201-1.jpg - 35545 Bytes
« Reply #1171 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 10:14pm »

Pulling up to Top Shelf:

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_0201-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Chris

Rail videos here
vicguy
Historian
  IMG_0204-1.jpg - 62147 Bytes
« Reply #1172 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 10:16pm »

Headed north through Somenos:

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_0204-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Chris

Rail videos here
vicguy
Historian

« Reply #1173 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 10:21pm »

Here's my first attempt at a video, so please be kind! I was pretty cold at this point making for a shaky video, sorry about that! Do you guys use a tripod or something else?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCYZrManZQU

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2009, 10:22pm by vicguy » Logged

Chris

Rail videos here
vicguy
Historian

« Reply #1174 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 10:28pm »

Other pics from today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7307607@N06/sets/72157615657972848/

Chris

Rail videos here
Speeder
Historian

« Reply #1175 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 11:50pm »

on Mar 19th, 2009, 10:21pm, vicguy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here's my first attempt at a video, so please be kind! I was pretty cold at this point making for a shaky video, sorry about that! Do you guys use a tripod or something else?  

The video looks great to me. Please keep them coming... it's a lot better than some of my efforts.

Someone asked you on Youtube how often the Duncan turn runs. I may be wrong, but I think it's twice a week.

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

84598464_Taken_on_March_19_2009_872x583.jpg - 50632 Bytes
« Reply #1176 on: Mar 20th, 2009, 1:57am »

on Mar 19th, 2009, 8:05pm, Speeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

For the last few days (maybe week) the Dayliner seems to be 2 cars. Have they had an increase in passengers recently? I thought it was usually 2 cars throughout the summer, and holiday weekends. Whatever the reason, it's good to see 2 cars running.

When I was talking to the Conductor the other day he said it was because Spring Break started last weekend. Thatís why Iím over here   . He said by next week they should be back to 1 Budd car till summer.

on Mar 19th, 2009, 10:10pm, vicguy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Caught the Duncan Turn today, maybe the last time I'll see the old paint scheme on the island! It was raining when I left Victoria and I was hoping it would let up before I got to Duncan, it did, for a few minutes. It was coming down pretty good so I just got a few pictures in and around Duncan.  

First one is coming down into Duncan beside the Trans Canada Highway:

I was trying to get pictures of the Duncan turn today on my way up to Nanaimo. About what time did it go down and back at?

Here are a couple of pictures I got of the Buddís today. First off is a picture of 6135 and 6148 in Langford this morning heading north.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/84598464_Taken_on_March_19_2009_872x583.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2009, 1:58am by BCR 706 » Logged
BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

85148517_Taken_on_March_19_2009-2_872x583.jpg - 77525 Bytes
« Reply #1177 on: Mar 20th, 2009, 1:59am »

Here I tried a bit of an artsy picture here. 6148 and 6135 heading south just outside of Ladysmith.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/85148517_Taken_on_March_19_2009-2_872x583.jpg
Click Image to Resize

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #1178 on: Mar 20th, 2009, 2:02am »

on Mar 19th, 2009, 10:21pm, vicguy wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Looks like there's a bit of a soft spot in the track or the track has sunk a bit right before the crossing...you can see the reaction of the wheelsets close to the last joint before the pavement.

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #1179 on: Mar 20th, 2009, 2:27am »

Good job on the video!
You are not nearly as shaky as those cars going over the track joints!

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  ...  95 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »