Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 17th, 2017, 12:00am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

E&N/SVI photos and video
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   E&N/SVI photos and video
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65  ...  96 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: E&N/SVI photos and video  (Read 12074 times)
tfctrains
Historian
Re: E&N/SVI photos and video

« Reply #1140 on: Mar 10th, 2009, 5:56pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Mar 10th, 2009, 2:02pm, Coastrail wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Gentlemen

We truly need to push for a museum of rail history in Victoria. With all these great photos, info, etc. It would be a shame not to have a facility to share with the public.

Obviously a working museum wont happen at the roundhouse, but perhaps a museum that has photos, models, small artifacts, stories, video, etc. of the 4 railways that served Victoria (V&S, CNR, E&N and BCER).

Great Idea, this idea has been talked about before. I believe it was around the time that Dave Wilkie passed away. There are several people that are getting on in age and would like a place for there collection  to be display and stored for future generations to see. As I said great idea.

[/quote]

CLC Fan

View Profile  

grnlktrestle.jpg - 136111 Bytes
« Reply #1141 on: Mar 13th, 2009, 1:46pm »

Northbound over Green Lake trestle, March 10th.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/grnlktrestle.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1142 on: Mar 14th, 2009, 3:06am »

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I'm heading to the island on Monday for a weeks vacation. I'm going to ride the budd car on Tuesday and was wanting to spend the rest of the vacation (Wed to Sat) taking as many pictures as I can of the E&N as I've never riden it, or seen it really... Could anyone help me with giving ideas for good locations for pictures and times if at all possible! Thank you very much for your help! If anyone would like to get together while I'm over there I'll be in Victoria for Mon-Wed and then Thur-Sat in Nanaimo. Thanks again.

Sidewinder
Historian
  Qualicum.jpg - 99575 Bytes
« Reply #1143 on: Mar 15th, 2009, 1:53am »

Happened to be traveling north at train time March 11.  Seemed like a good opportunity to watch the Budds arrive at Qualicum at 10:50 AM.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Qualicum.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #1144 on: Mar 15th, 2009, 2:47pm »

on Mar 15th, 2009, 3:49am, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Nice pic, Sidewinder.  Very sharp and good lighting.

Thanks.

Re the sharpness, a fellow who has a thing about C-liners told me about a trick in Photoshop using "sharpen".  Since then, tinkering with that option revealed that "unsharp mask" can more controllable.  As for the lighting, mother nature was certainly cooperative with a timely cloud.

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2009, 11:53pm by Sidewinder » Logged
Sidewinder
Historian
  PT.jpg - 94872 Bytes
« Reply #1145 on: Mar 16th, 2009, 9:22pm »

Minionll, thehighwayman, torch, ENR3005.... you all suggested you would like to see more video showing the E&N of the past.  Here is one called "Port Alberni Turn".  GP30 fans should be interested.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz0f4sCPso0  

The first scene is uncut to illustrate the size of the train.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/PT.jpg
Click Image to Resize

vicguy
Historian

« Reply #1146 on: Mar 16th, 2009, 9:42pm »

Great stuff again, Sidewinder! My favorite part of the video is the train crawling over the top of the grade, sounds and looks awesome! You even got the mill switcher in there, too! I started chasing trains on the E&N in 92 so unfortunately I missed out on the GP30s, nice to see one of them in action on your video

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1147 on: Mar 16th, 2009, 11:54pm »

on Mar 16th, 2009, 9:22pm, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Minionll, thehighwayman, torch, ENR3005.... you all suggested you would like to see more video showing the E&N of the past.  Here is one called "Port Alberni Turn".  GP30 fans should be interested.  

Sidewinder, thanks again for the great footage. You just made my day! Your video has answered some of my questions that I had for a couple years and given everyone a glimpse of the last best years for the Port Sub. One of my questions which was answered by your video was if CP's GP30s still ran with their turbochargers installed, which your video has confirmed they did. I am curious as to where the bulkhead flat what have been loaded which is in the last clip of your video. Was there a spur for loading lumber or was it just loaded on one of the yard tracks. My other theory is that there was still a spur in place by Al Ply for the other sawmill which brings me to my next questions.  The mill switcher clip was a nice bonus, do you know if this unit did the switching duties at the plywood mill also or if CP sent the power down the harbour line to do the switching. Thanks again for the great video.  

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2009, 12:04am by ENR3005 » Logged
tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #1148 on: Mar 17th, 2009, 12:51am »

on Mar 16th, 2009, 11:54pm, ENR3005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Sidewinder, thanks again for the great footage. You just made my day! Your video has answered some of my questions that I had for a couple years and given everyone a glimpse of the last best years for the Port Sub. One of my questions which was answered by your video was if CP's GP30s still ran with their turbochargers installed, which your video has confirmed they did. I am curious as to where the bulkhead flat what have been loaded which is in the last clip of your video. Was there a spur for loading lumber or was it just loaded on one of the yard tracks. My other theory is that there was still a spur in place by Al Ply for the other sawmill which brings me to my next questions.  The mill switcher clip was a nice bonus, do you know if this unit did the switching duties at the plywood mill also or if CP sent the power down the harbour line to do the switching. Thanks again for the great video.  

I think the Bulkhead was loaded right at the end trak, south of the station. My son and I were lucky enough to switch the mill when we made a trip on a frieght into Port Alberni from Parksville. Yes, sidewinder great job, oh how I like living in the past.

thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #1149 on: Mar 17th, 2009, 7:26am »

on Mar 16th, 2009, 9:22pm, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

You have again proven that you are a gentleman and a scholar!
Fabulous footage!
Thank you a thousand --- no, a million -- times!!

Will

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #1150 on: Mar 17th, 2009, 6:21pm »

Thanks very much for posting that great video.

I'll have to watch it again on my other computer to get the full effect with the sound...crappy laptop speakers...

I do wish I could have railfanned the Port Sub...

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1151 on: Mar 17th, 2009, 10:15pm »

Always glad to see the "vitage" vids & pics.  Back in the day I was luck enough to do most of my railfanning from the cab or the van, but don't have that much in the way of my own pics from back in the day.

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #1152 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 12:25am »

on Mar 16th, 2009, 9:42pm, vicguy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Great stuff again, Sidewinder! My favorite part of the video is the train crawling over the top of the grade, sounds and looks awesome! You even got the mill switcher in there, too! I started chasing trains on the E&N in 92 so unfortunately I missed out on the GP30s, nice to see one of them in action on your video  

Thanks for the comment, vicguy.  Yes, the clip showing the train pulling hard for the summit says it all.  Seems like we used to get more acknowledging whistles from the enginemen in those days which adds a nice touch to the videos.

Thanks, also, to ENR3005, tfctrains, thehighwayman, Minionll and CP8673.  Your comments provide encouragment to keep up the process.  I plan to do "Port Alberni Turn II" some time soon.

ENR3005, I had an idea tfctrains would answer your question about the loaded bulkhead.  I was always bent on taking pictures of trains in their element.  Never really payed attention what was loaded where.  In retrospect, it is obvious we should have paid more attention.  Would that wrapped load contain plywood or dimensional lumber?  Strange, I don't remember the CP units heading down to the plywood mill that day so it is a mystery how the bulkhead flat ended up in the outbound consist.  Seems to me towards the end the mill switcher was allowed access to the CP yard.  Can't say for sure if that was the case in 1990.

ENR3005, I just gotta ask.  Talked to a few friends about determining if a GM unit is turbocharged by watching track-side.  Drew a blank.  So what is in the video that proved to you the GP-30 was still turbocharged at the time?

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

HPIM8311_Taken_on_March_17_2009_879x656.jpg - 63588 Bytes
« Reply #1153 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 1:35am »

Sidewinder, that was a great video! Makes me wish as well that I was 15 or more years older so I could have seen those myself! Just wondering, what ever happened to that little switcher?

Well, I had my first ever trip on the E&N and I have to say I LOVE this line now!!! 10 1/2 hours with only 10 minutes to walk around the Courtenay Station was a little much but well worth it! On the way up from Victoria was in 6135 and the way back I was in 6148. I was surprised at how many small places the train stopped at! All together, the train made stops at Palmer, Langford, Cowichan, Duncan, Chemanius, Ladysmith, Nanaimo (of course), Parksville, Qualicum Beach, Dunsmuir, Deep Bay, Buckley Bay and of course Courtenay. When I talked to the conductor he said he hasn't seen the train stop that many times in years. Of course it put us 30 minutes behind time but oh well. Here are some pictures I took while we were stopped in Courtenay and Victoria. Hope you enjoy. I look forward to taking more pictures of these Budd cars and hopefully the 2 twins.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/HPIM8311_Taken_on_March_17_2009_879x656.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2009, 1:46am by BCR 706 » Logged
BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

83128316_Taken_on_March_17_2009_872x583.jpg - 66360 Bytes
« Reply #1154 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 1:48am »

6148 again in Courtenay.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/83128316_Taken_on_March_17_2009_872x583.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

HPIM8315_Taken_on_March_17_2009_879x656.jpg - 66460 Bytes
« Reply #1155 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 1:49am »

6135 at the back now.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/HPIM8315_Taken_on_March_17_2009_879x656.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2009, 1:54am by BCR 706 » Logged
BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

83648367_Taken_on_March_17_2009_872x583.jpg - 56588 Bytes
« Reply #1156 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 1:51am »

After dropping us off in Victoria. 6148 and 6135 reverse back over the Johnson Street Bridge.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/83648367_Taken_on_March_17_2009_872x583.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

83658368_Taken_on_March_17_2009_582x871.jpg - 49617 Bytes
« Reply #1157 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 1:53am »

6148 going away. Just wondering, is 6133 on the island right now or is somewhere else at the moment?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/83658368_Taken_on_March_17_2009_582x871.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2009, 1:54am by BCR 706 » Logged
CN7059
Historian

« Reply #1158 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 2:44am »

on Mar 18th, 2009, 1:53am, Balto wrote:       (Click here for original message)
6148 going away. Just wondering, is 6133 on the island right now or is somewhere else at the moment?

6133 is on the island, most likely in the car shop building. You can see into the round house through the windows facing Esquimalt Rd., and you can see into the car shop through the gap in the doors. Not that I would condone trespassing or anything...

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #1159 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 3:08am »

on Mar 18th, 2009, 12:25am, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

ENR3005, I just gotta ask.  Talked to a few friends about determining if a GM unit is turbocharged by watching track-side.  Drew a blank.  So what is in the video that proved to you the GP-30 was still turbocharged at the time?

Turbo charges have a distinct high-pitched whine. I thought I heard a bit of turbo whine while I watched the video and listened with a set of crappy headphones.  

I'm not sure if this applies to the GP30s, but in most older diesels, the turbo is sized for maximum power output, which means it doesn't do much at lower engine rpm and load. You hear the whine most when the engine is working hard. On two-stroke diesels, there are usually blowers to clear the cylinders at low load/rpm/throttle notch and the turbo(s) don't start creating boost until higher load/rpm/throttle notch.

Thanks again for the videos, I look forward to Port Turn II...

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65  ...  96 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »