Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 28th, 2017, 3:14pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

E&N/SVI photos and video
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   E&N/SVI photos and video
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59  ...  95 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: E&N/SVI photos and video  (Read 11599 times)
CPRail4744
Historian
Re: Post your E&N photos and videos

« Reply #1020 on: Jul 19th, 2008, 1:45am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I think we all would agree that you made the right choice of what to do on your housekeeping day, tfctrains!

Amazing how much dusting and vacuuming we can all get done when we sit at our computer terminals and enjoy your pictures.  Well done!  And the meet picture is just fine, has that slightly vintage-looking fuzz to it that gives it a definite appeal.  Glad you kept finding reasons to chase the train.

We all need to get that reassurance that there is still more than just ONE rail operation happening at one time on our little line!

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #1021 on: Jul 19th, 2008, 1:56am »

Thank you, you just made my day. It was nice to get out, I only seen one other fan out taking pictures.

thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #1022 on: Jul 20th, 2008, 1:35am »

I have just posted a short video of the Budd cars northbound through Hayward (shot July 4) on trainorders.com.
I have also just signed up for youtube (reluctantly ...) and have tried to post it there as well. It seems to take a hell of a long time to "process" my video clip!
It was available immediately on trainorders ...
Needless to say, this is my first attempt at posting any of my video stuff online.
If youtube ever finishes processing, I will try to post the link!
Will

thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #1023 on: Jul 20th, 2008, 1:52am »

Here's the link to the video I have posted on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfN8vCZa_DM

It is very doubtful I will post anything there again!

They completely screwed up my video! Not only did they trash the quality but they also scrunched it to 4x3 from 16x9 format ... which makes it look absolutely stupid!

You would think that an outfit like Youtube would be using 21st Century technology! Jeez ... even an old phart like me knows that widescreen is the only way to go these days!
Will

CLC Fan

View Profile  

« Reply #1024 on: Jul 20th, 2008, 1:36pm »

Yeah, YouTube is way behind the times when it comes to compression and encoding formats.  It can take a while to "process" it but on places like TO it probably doesn't even touch the file and just makes it available for download as is.

On YT, the problem is if you record in a larger format than their 320x 280 format, it uses an old codec to resize and recompress the file which slaughters the resolution.  I've read elsewhere that they don't want to pay for the rights to use more modern and efficient codecs.  It's almost heartbreaking to see the final results after uploading and comparing it to the original.  Many times I have almost pulled vids down right after because I thought it was embarrassing.

There are a few tricks that can be used to help improve the final YT results, I use DivX Converter and there are settings you can use that can maximize the resolution while doing a maximum compression.  But it's a very time consuming and painful process.

Also (as a way to get around the "..not available.." message) sometimes a "decent" version of the video can be downloaded from YT.  Unknown to many there are sometimes 2 versions of the video available.  If you goto keepvid.com, you can copy/paste the URL of the YouTube vid into the appropriate box and select "YouTube" it will provide you with 2 versions to download.  One will be the vid you see on YT and the other will be a higher resolution one (if available) in .mp4 format.  Just save it with a name of your choice and put .flv as the extension.  ie: canfor.flv   I use VLC Player as it plays every type of vid out there and is a free program very simple to use.  I've been using it for the past few years and haven't seen anything better.

thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #1025 on: Jul 20th, 2008, 5:59pm »

on Jul 20th, 2008, 1:36pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yeah, YouTube is way behind the times when it comes to compression and encoding formats.  It can take a while to "process" it but on places like TO it probably doesn't even touch the file and just makes it available for download as is.

On YT, the problem is if you record in a larger format than their 320x 280 format, it uses an old codec to resize and recompress the file which slaughters the resolution.  I've read elsewhere that they don't want to pay for the rights to use more modern and efficient codecs.  .

I have never worked with DivX (at least not that I know of!).
I do all my video capture/editing/conversion in Pinnacle Studio (currently using version 11).
What really ticked me off was the way Utoob (when I get ticked with an outfit I come up with nasty ways of twisting their name) arbitrarily switched it from 16x9 t0 4x3!
I do about 90% of my shooting in widescreen. I sure as hell have no intention of switching back to 4x3 just to post it on that website!
I know I have a fair amount of webspace available to me from my isp (I have a business account through my cable company) and will look into posting the occasional bit on my own and then post the address for those who might be interested. I will be checking with the cable company about that tomorrow.
will keep you informed. I only have one other short clip from my one-week visit to the Island -- single Budd car (6135) arriving in Duncan nb on July 8.  
I have quite a bit of CN and CP footage shot last summer in southern Ontario as well, but I don't think anyone on this forum will be interested.
Will

thehighwayman
Historian
  20080708xa.jpg - 79940 Bytes
« Reply #1026 on: Jul 20th, 2008, 10:12pm »

Via Rail Canada RDC 1 # 6135 (operating alone) arrives in Duncan, northbound on July 8, 2008 ... 9:30 am.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/20080708xa.jpg
Click Image to Resize

thehighwayman
Historian
  20080708xc.jpg - 79146 Bytes
« Reply #1027 on: Jul 20th, 2008, 10:14pm »

photo # 2

Conductor said air conditioner on 6133 had crapped out ...

these photos are screen grabs from my video footage.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/20080708xc.jpg
Click Image to Resize

tfctrains
Historian
  image0-7.jpg - 91542 Bytes
« Reply #1028 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 1:54am »

Looking through old slides to-night, I found this one which I enjoyed taking. All though it is not real clear I thought some of you may find it interesting. It was taken April 1975, shows a east bound frieght at mile 24.4 on the Port Alberni sub. with 3 G.P. 9s leading. This was the site of a 39 span Frame trestle 585 feet long replaced by a line diversion in 1971. To reach his spot you turn left just before Coombs Country Candy Store at the bottom of the hump when approaching Port Alberni from the East. You follow the road up hill for a mile, when you reach the tracks you walk east for 2/10 th's of a mile.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/image0-7.jpg
Click Image to Resize

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #1029 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 4:42am »

Kinda makes me wonder how many trestles would have been filled or diverted in the myra canyon had they had the traffic to continue running up till now.

Sidewinder
Historian
  CameronLake.jpg - 163259 Bytes
« Reply #1030 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 1:00am »

on Aug 19th, 2008, 1:54am, tfctrains wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Looking through old slides to-night, I found this one which I enjoyed taking. All though it is not real clear I thought some of you may find it interesting. It was taken April 1975, shows a east bound frieght at mile 24.4 on the Port Alberni sub.

Wow, that brought memories!  You and I were there some years later and I am sure we took photos.  I looked for the slides today until I was blue in the face to no avail.  Maybe you can find yours.  Did find this, though, from another great day.  An eastbound train at M14.6 of the Port Sub., August 10, 1984.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CameronLake.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CN7059
Historian

« Reply #1031 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 1:11am »

on Aug 21st, 2008, 1:00am, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Wow, that brought memories!  You and I were there some years later and I am sure we took photos.  I looked for the slides today until I was blue in the face to no avail.  Maybe you can find yours.  Did find this, though, from another great day.  An eastbound train at M14.6 of the Port Sub., August 10, 1984.

Pictures like this make me wish I had been born fifteen years earlier, purely for the sake of island railroading. I was born two and a half years after that picture was taken.

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

Sidewinder
Historian
  CameronLake3.jpg - 243322 Bytes
« Reply #1032 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 1:22am »

on Aug 21st, 2008, 1:11am, CN7059 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Pictures like this make me wish I had been born fifteen years earlier, purely for the sake of island railroading. I was born two and a half years after that picture was taken.

Your wish made me chuckle!  Here I sit thinking it would be nice to knock 15 years off my life!

Here is the same train disappearing out of sight.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CameronLake3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #1033 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 1:32am »

on Aug 21st, 2008, 1:11am, CN7059 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

We are glad that there are younger people around that appeciate the pictures that we took when we were younger, I wish I had been able to take pictures of the coal trains that used to run pass in front of my house in Royston when I was 4-5 years old.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #1034 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 1:51am »

Those are some great pictures. Please share whatever you can for the sake of those of us who...just aren't old enough to have been there.  

CN7059
Historian
  0816082003-01.jpg - 163476 Bytes
« Reply #1035 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 2:01am »

Here's one I took last Saturday evening, at E&N days. Everyone else had gone home, and it was just myself, the security staff, and a few other volunteers left on site, as well as the Herzog guys there to service the budds. I took it with my cell phone, of all things, having left my good camera at home. I had noticed the way in which the sun was reflecting off of 6148, which was parked on one of the old coach yard tracks, with 6133&35 in the background.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (163476 bytes, 1600x1200 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 0816082003-01.jpg - 163476 Bytes

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

torch
Historian
  DSC01104.jpg - 313091 Bytes
« Reply #1036 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 4:17am »

dang..that photo almost  looks  like it  could be  from another  era... i take  many fotos  with  cell fone just to be  'in the moment'(plus my digi camera broke)..lol   I had a  nice time  at  the  e&n days.. lucky I had  some concerts on vancouver island  around that  time  so it all worked out for me. heres  one of  my  cellfone   shots  after getting off the 6148 in langford on the  saturday.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (313091 bytes, 1600x1200 pixels)

Click Here to View Image DSC01104.jpg - 313091 Bytes

torch
Historian
  DSC01105.jpg - 284594 Bytes
« Reply #1037 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 4:21am »

fun shot with the langford sign..

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (284594 bytes, 1600x1200 pixels)

Click Here to View Image DSC01105.jpg - 284594 Bytes

mike_enr
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1038 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 1:12pm »

on Aug 21st, 2008, 1:22am, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Here is the same train disappearing out of sight.

Sidewinder, that is a GREAT shot. Thanks for posting. Always amazes me how many sweet photos are kicking around in personal collections.

Mike
Speeder
Historian

« Reply #1039 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 1:20pm »

on Aug 21st, 2008, 1:00am, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

This is a fantastic railway picture by any standard! Thank you for posting this

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59  ...  95 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »