Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 20th, 2017, 8:48am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BNSF Coal train on UP at Valley (Cima Sub)
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   UP Discussion
(Moderators: zwsplac, Mark_Foster)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BNSF Coal train on UP at Valley (Cima Sub)  (Read 90 times)
Dave Frandin
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Nov 18th, 2015, 9:46pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I live in Las Vegas, so I'm quite used to seeing frequent various UP consists going thru town. Today, however, I was driving up Interstate 15, which parallels the UP track, and noticed a coal train consist eastbound near the Valley siding (near Craig Rd & Interstate 15). As I caught up with the head end of the train, I noticed the 3 engines were not UP but rather were BNSF. I can't recall ever seeing a train on the UP line thru Las Vegas that didn't have at least one UP engine. Before I retired and money got tight (and gas got expensive) I used to drive down to Needles on the BNSF transcon mainline and spend the day watching trains, but haven't for several years. I wasn't expecting to see BNSF power coming thru Las Vegas, unless BNSF has come to some agreement with UP for trackage rights thru Las Vegas..  Any ideas??

DaveInLV

Lfire83
Historian
Re: BNSF Coal train on UP at Valley (Cima Sub)

« Reply #1 on: Nov 21st, 2015, 12:53pm »

It's increasingly common these days for run through power arrangements and also "power by the hour" leases. Due to the fluctuating needs of the market, motive power can be off its home road for extended periods. Here in south GA, it's becoming common to see CP, CN, BCOL, and other far off roadnames in extended service locally. Intermodal trains here frequently have solid UP or BNSF power sets. One day out railfanning on the NS GS&F District here (roughly 24 road trains a day plus locals) there was not one solid set of NS power on a train. Everything was UP, CSX, or BNSF power on it. Makes for a colorful day......

Welcome to the forums!

Dave Frandin
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: BNSF Coal train on UP at Valley (Cima Sub)

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21st, 2015, 1:05pm »

Thanks for the reply.. I'm not very *up* on the workings of the major players in railroading, just love to watch those mighty engines go thundering by.. Before moving to Las Vegas in the mid-90s, I used to drive up to Cajon Pass from San Diego and spend the day watching the monsters crawl up the grade in runlevel 8...  Miss that, but its too far for day trips any more...  

Thanks
Dave

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »