Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 20th, 2017, 8:48am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

looking for info on locomotive
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   UP Discussion
(Moderators: zwsplac, Mark_Foster)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: looking for info on locomotive  (Read 79 times)
bpete
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Feb 18th, 2014, 10:28am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi All. I am new to this forum and somewhat new to railfanning. there was a particular locomotive that I am searching for information on that I have vague memories of from my youth. it may not have been a UP but I figured this was a good starting place. this took place in the early 80's I belive around 82 or 83. I was coming back from a scout camp and we found out that a large steam locomotive was coming through on some sort of trip and stopped to watch it in Lehi Utah going northbound. there were several fires that were started by the loco along the tracks. I was hoping that someone may have a memory of hearing about this and hoefully has some particulars on the loco and the run. the only thing I really remember is that it was a good sized steam locomotive. sorry about the vagueness of my memory but I would really like to know what i seen.

firstbelt
Historian
Re: looking for info on locomotive

« Reply #1 on: Feb 18th, 2014, 7:25pm »

I wasn't there, but I'd be willing to guess it was UP 844 (8444).
I believe it was used for special excursions well before other UP steam engines, like 3985.  This web page says it has been restored and operating since 1974, which would put it in your time frame (1982-1983).

"Good sized" doesn't quite narrow down the possibilities.  Not much about the Union Pacific can be called small.

https://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/media_kit/steam/844/index.shtml

bpete
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19th, 2014, 9:30am »

thanks firstbelt. after looking at the history of #8444 (844) there is a good possibility that it is the one. and it indeed passed through utah in 1981 headed for california for the railfair. i thought it would be easy to find some news reference to the fires though. I am still doing some reasearch. i am sorry for the vagueness of my descrition.

bpete
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19th, 2014, 10:46am »

good news, I finally found the answer to my question. and of all places the Lewiston Journal of Lewiston Maine June 26th 1982. it must have been a slow news day at the journal. anyway the locomotive was the UP #3985 Challenger. it was here in Utah for a celebration that had to do with Promentory point. it started several grass fires in the two days of running between provo utah and salt lake city. i guess when i said it was a big one I was on the money.

Bri

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »