Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 25th, 2017, 12:34am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

UP Coal to China
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   UP Discussion
(Moderators: zwsplac, Mark_Foster)
   UP Coal to China
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: UP Coal to China  (Read 122 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

UP Coal to China

« on: Feb 15th, 2013, 5:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

UP is apparently going to be handling half of an 80 million ton export coal contract starting next year. BNSF and Montana Rail Link apprently involved for the other half. Coal going to China, BNSF half exporting through three British Columbia ports, UP going to send its part through Galveston. This from a friend who drives coal trains for UP, out of Antelope Mine.

Anybody got more detail?

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

Re: UP Coal to China

« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2013, 7:34pm »

clip from an article about a month old... All I could find now on UP and export coal

In July 2012, Peabody Energy, the world’s largest private coal company, announced that it would begin using ports in Houston and New Orleans to ship Colorado Powder River Basin coal to international markets.  Peabody’s planned expansion would more than double its export capacity along the Gulf Coast – between 5 million and 7 million tons annually from 2014 to 2020. Most of this particular coal is bound for Peabody’s European markets. As part of their Gulf Coast expansion, Peabody has an agreement with Union Pacific Railroad to transport coal from its Colorado mines to its Houston terminals.

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2013, 7:36pm »

The good news is, well with current environmental regulations in the US and the new tier 3 Gevos coming to the UP at least the coal will be shipped by rail here in the US with some of the “greenest” locomotives built to date…. Good thing all this coal is being sent to China etc, not like the pollutants go up into the same sky right?  

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16th, 2013, 7:56pm »

Gulf Ports to Europe would make better sense than to China in my mind, though with the new, larger, locks on the Panama Canal, that route would be somewhat practical.

In any case, engineer said what he was told was Galveston, for China. And that BNSF and Montana Rail Link are hiring and UP says it is going to.

I'd sort of like to see more activity at Galveston than unreliable cruise ships...

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2013, 9:49am »

I would look for more PRB coal to see exports, as domestic demand drops these mines that are heavily invested will look for other markets. Here in the east a large shift of the all but left for dead coal industry has moved to overseas markets.  Baltimore and Roanoke for instance have been running at near 100% capacity for the past few years with no plans to slow down.

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2013, 9:53am by towny72 » Logged

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22nd, 2013, 7:30pm »

Well, looked into the Galveston port for export of coal. Apparently a Galveston-headquartered short line, the Texas, Mexico & Pacific, has taken an option wth Galveston Wharves to build a rail bridge and transloading  termianl for coal on Pelican Island. Possibility it will use existing causeway and lines in the island with a bridge to Pelican Island from Galveston for around $600 million OR a $1.2 billion connection from Texas City to Pelican Island. I am not quite sure I see exactly how they would run that. Maybe down the Texas City Dike and then across to Pelican Island crossing the Texas City Channel and Intra-coastal Waterway. Take a Devil of a lot of expensive ROW and bridging. Will be interesting to watch.

I would think that building a loading facility on Galveston Island and making use of existing yard tracks that seem under-utilized would make better sense, but - what would I know? Be intereting if it flies.

Peabody is apparently making arrangments to (different deal) boost shipments out of two facilities along the Houston Ship Channel (Kinder Morgan Energy Deepwater Terminal in Pasadena and Houston Bulk Terminal in Port of Houston). And a couple of outfit are looking a exporting through Corpus Christi.

Well, found a site for the TM&P and it has a map for at least one idea for their opration - dated 12-28-11, so it may or may not actually reflect current thinking. In any case, it shows a line from at or near Texas City Junction to the Shoals Point spoil bank where there will be a storage yard for unit trains (6 miles of trck for that) and a 600 acre +/- international terminal and from there a rail causeway across Galveston Bay with a lift bridge over the Intra-Coastal Waterway. 100 acre storage yard on Pelican island and a loop around the island to a 185 acre bulk terminal on the ship channel side of the island (opposite side from Galveston Harbor). Will be interesting to see how things develop.

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2013, 8:18pm by ClydeDET » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »