Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 25th, 2017, 12:34am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Union Pacific possibly looking to restore Big Boy #4014
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   UP Discussion
(Moderators: zwsplac, Mark_Foster)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Union Pacific possibly looking to restore Big Boy #4014  (Read 1255 times)
Espee9180
Historian

« on: Dec 7th, 2012, 1:49pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

From the Trains New Wire: http://trn.trains.com/en/Railroad%20News/News%20Wire/2012/12/Union%20Pacific%20looking%20to%20restore%20Big%20Boy%20for%20excursion%20service.aspx

"CHEYENNE, Wyo. – Union Pacific Railroad has had conversations with the Southern California Chapter of the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society to obtain and restore its ex-UP 4-8-8-4 Big Boy, No. 4014. The museum's board is scheduled to meet Dec. 8 and plans to vote on the proposal from the railroad to buy the locomotive, says a source familiar with the matter.

Alco built 25 Big Boys for UP in 1941. No. 4014 resides at the chapter's museum on the grounds of the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds in Pomona, Calif., and is one of eight surviving Big Boys. UP donated the locomotive to the chapter in 1962.

Joshuah Barr at the Forney Transportation Museum in Denver, and Jacqueline Frank, director of the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, Wis., both told Trains News Wire that nobody from the railroad had been in contact with their museums about their Big Boys. This is contrary to reports circulating on the internet that UP has vetted all remaining Big Boys.

Trains News Wire has contacted Union Pacific for comment and is currently wait for a reply."

Espee9180
Historian
Re: Union Pacific possibly looking to restore Big Boy #4014

« Reply #1 on: Dec 7th, 2012, 6:21pm »

More Info. Again via Trains News Wire: http://trn.trains.com/en/Railroad%20News/News%20Wire/2012/12/Union%20Pacific%20looking%20to%20restore%20Big%20Boy%20for%20excursion%20service.aspx

You don't need to be a subscriber to read this one...

"POMONA, Calif. – Union Pacific may be bringing back the ultimate steam machine, an Alco-built 4-8-8-4 Big Boy, the last of which steamed more than 50 years ago.

Company spokesman Mark Davis told Trains News Wire Friday that the company has been approached by and is working with a third party interested in restoring and operating a Big Boy. He said the railroad is evaluating the condition of preserved UP Big Boy locomotives and that it believes two might be available for restoration. Davis declined to name the other party or give a timeline for the project. But at least one organization is already talking about its potential to put a Big Boy back on the main line.

The treasurer of the Southern California railroad club that owns a displayed Union Pacific Big Boy 4-8-8-4 says his group hopes to learn more Saturday about a UP offer to acquire No. 4014 for restoration and operation...."

NWClassJ
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16th, 2013, 5:30am »

I have to say that I am interested to see how this progress' and what UP would offer back to Pomona in exchange.  I have heard that another steam engine is not on the table...I wonder what they could offer in terms of a diesel?

The N&W..home of the J's
Well done Roanoke...well done.
CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: May 15th, 2013, 4:17pm »

on Jan 16th, 2013, 5:30am, NWClassJ wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have to say that I am interested to see how this progress' and what UP would offer back to Pomona in exchange.  I have heard that another steam engine is not on the table...I wonder what they could offer in terms of a diesel?

This is taking too long to be positive.  It has been five months or more and no more information has been released.  I have often wondered why the 4018 that was in Dallas until recently and now moved North to Frisco TX has not been considered.  It was just moved this year to the new location and is in decent shape for rebuilding.
CZ

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22nd, 2013, 8:57pm »

Why not 4018? Well at least partially because the main rods for all four cylinders were cut. Piston rods too, maybe.  Making new ones, even of everything else was good to go would be - quite job.

Oh - 4018 is still at Fair Park. Derailment on the line to Frisco caused cancellation (not the Big Boy - a freight on the line). Current *tentative) schedule is a  Sunday  in mid-July. If a bridge that needs repair is repaired by then. They do know that all the running gear is working free (hooray for roller-bearings - though friction bearings aren't always trouble; Frisco 4501 had no problems).

« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2013, 9:02pm by ClydeDET » Logged
Espee9180
Historian
Re: Union Pacific to restore Big Boy #4014

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23rd, 2013, 4:49pm »

Looks like It's going to happen.

"Union Pacific Railroad Acquires Big Boy Locomotive No. 4014.
Union Pacific plans to relocate No. 4014 to Cheyenne, Wyo., where Union Pacific's Heritage Fleet Operations team will work to restore it to operating condition. Details regarding those efforts will be made public at a later date."

Read Full Press Release Here: http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/heritage_and_steam/2013/0723_4014.shtml

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Aug 1st, 2013, 5:54pm »

Apparently part of the restoration will include conversion to oil firing, as was done with 3985. I can see several advantages to that. Safety. Easier refueling. Others will doubtless occur to anyone who thinks hard.

CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Dec 5th, 2013, 5:14pm »

As of this week, the 4014 has been moved to the fence near the location where it will be rejoined to the main line this month.  The last message I read was the UP was waiting on the SD40-2 to be restored that will replace the 4014 so the temporary connection to the main line will be a one time event.  

That is the latest and the 4014 will be soon moved to Colton for more inspections and preparations for the move to Cheyenne.   YES!!!!!

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »