Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 25th, 2017, 12:34am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

"Victims" of Texas Veterans Parade suing Union Pacific
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   UP Discussion
(Moderators: zwsplac, Mark_Foster)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: "Victims" of Texas Veterans Parade suing Union Pacific  (Read 273 times)
Gadfly
Railfan

« on: Nov 28th, 2012, 10:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

According to the news, the victims of the parade disaster recently are suing UP for a variety of bull**** "transgressions" of Union Pacific.

Typically, those who make tragic mistakes want someone else to take responsibility, and suffer over their OWN stupidity!  While I have sympathy for those who were harmed, I still must side with UP.  The fact remains that no matter what conditions existed, no matter what claims the plaintiffs make,it is STILL the responsibility of a driver to STOP, LOOK, LISTEN, and see that the way is CLEAR before proceeding over a grade crossing.  Even if trains were given permission to travel at a higher speed than previously authorized, if the driver had cleared his move, seen that traffic did not "hem" him in, BEFORE fouling the crossing, no train, when the signals were activated (as indicated in the story), the float would have been able to clear the track in plenty of time.  THIS IS THE DRIVER'S FAULT, and it is HE and his company that should bear the blame!  I hope UP fights to the last appeal and WINS!!!

GF

Bluewater
Chaser
Re: "Victims" of Texas Veterans Parade suing Union Pacific

« Reply #1 on: Dec 1st, 2012, 1:24pm »

I agree with Gadfly, which is the one of many unusual things I've done today. It was the drivers fault, plain and simple. The only thing UP can be blamed for is being in the wrong place at the right time, no puns or insults intended.

Yes, There really is a Kalamazoo, Michigan
You'd better believe it too!

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Apr 2nd, 2013, 5:59pm »

As long as the warning gear was working and properly adjusted, don't see any liability here. Speaking as a former attorney licensed in Tejas...

Ought to see just what is being alleged, i guess.

MWLE2120
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: May 7th, 2013, 2:26pm »

It's not like the train could stop. the driver could...his fault

MoPac, Route of the Eagles
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »