Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 22nd, 2017, 7:27am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

List of UP yards
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   UP Discussion
(Moderators: zwsplac, Mark_Foster)
   List of UP yards
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: List of UP yards  (Read 304 times)
sdjaquet
TRAINing
List of UP yards

« on: Nov 25th, 2008, 3:36pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'm working on a project and I was looking for a list of all of the UP yards.  I found a list that included all of the hump yards but that is all I could come up with.  Does anyone know where I can get a list of all of the other yards in use by UP?

Thanks

George_Harris
Historian
Re: List of UP yards

« Reply #1 on: Nov 25th, 2008, 4:24pm »

This quest could be difficult to impossible.  What is your purpose?  That might help in the answer.  Also, the question of "What is a yard" needs to be answered.  Three tracks for minor switching might be considered are yard operationally, but would it be a yard for your purposes?  

If you get the employee timetables, current issues of which are NOT readily available, they list yards in the column with siding lengths, but I know that all designated yards do not show up there.  

What is your reason behind this quest?  Answer that and we might be able to provide some assistance to at least get you into the ballpark number.

inch53
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26th, 2008, 6:45am »

UP has a yard over by St Louis where they interchange with CSX. And they still use the yard [C&EI] in Villa Grove IL. Those are the only ones I know of.
inch

My photos
http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/4309
sdjaquet
TRAINing

« Reply #3 on: Nov 26th, 2008, 9:20am »

It's something I'm doing for work.  I need to come up with all of the major yards within the areas that our company operates.   I'm not really concerned with minor switching tracks, just the major yards/terminals.

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26th, 2008, 2:02pm »

And where does your company operate? I know most of the major terminals which originate and terminate trains on the UP.

Editor of frograil.com's Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Railfan Pages
Visit them at frograil.com

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26th, 2008, 3:13pm »

on Nov 26th, 2008, 9:20am, sdjaquet wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It's something I'm doing for work.  I need to come up with all of the major yards within the areas that our company operates.   I'm not really concerned with minor switching tracks, just the major yards/terminals.  

You have got to be more specific than this.  What is major in your concept?  What areas does your company operate in?  Why or what sort of purpose is involved as well.  Some yards are single purpose, so may be of no interest to you.  

Why not just contact Union Pacific directly?  That would probably be your best bet if your company is a potential shipper/rreceiver.  Go to their web site and find the nearest traffic representative.

UnionPacificGP39-2
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29th, 2012, 5:48pm »

There's the Eugene yard in Eugene, OR.

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Aug 30th, 2012, 6:46pm »

on Aug 29th, 2012, 5:48pm, UnionPacificGP39-2 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There's the Eugene yard in Eugene, OR.

UnionPacificGP39-2:  Do you realize that you are answering a question in a thread that is nearly 4 years old and that the person asking the original question had apparently not been back to this web site since?   In fact, the person asking the original question did not respond at all when asked to be more specific in the what for and why for behind his question.

UnionPacificGP39-2
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Sep 6th, 2012, 1:20pm »

on Aug 30th, 2012, 6:46pm, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)

UnionPacificGP39-2:  Do you realize that you are answering a question in a thread that is nearly 4 years old and that the person asking the original question had apparently not been back to this web site since?   In fact, the person asking the original question did not respond at all when asked to be more specific in the what for and why for behind his question.  

I apologize, I am rather new to this forum, but I've learned to figure out when the last post was in a thread, thanks for the heads up!

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »