Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 22nd, 2017, 7:29am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Union Pacific Picture Thread!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   UP Discussion
(Moderators: zwsplac, Mark_Foster)
   Union Pacific Picture Thread!
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Union Pacific Picture Thread!  (Read 10852 times)
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Union Pacific Picture Thread!

« Reply #80 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 6:15pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Yo Fellas,

Now that is more like it !! The breezeway halfway down the length of 6936 is nothing more than a shortcut to the other side of the engine for the workmen or the crew. It is safe, and oil slick free.

I was there as well when 3985 led the E-9's and a LONG passenger consist, with lots of Vista Domes, to Southern California and LAUS. Great shots and great new friends.  

Notorious story; When the UP consist led by 3985 and the E-9's came to Southern California I showed up and had the tripod and camera with me. Set the tripod up, put in the self timer, and the auxilary self timer, for a total of 30 seconds delay, clicked off the cable release and ran to the pilot of 3985. One of the Security Guards got hysterical, ran after me, and just as he blocked the shot, the camera clicked off. He heard the click, stopped dead, apologized and told me to try again. The other security guards laughed and told me they would look the other way if I killed him.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #81 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 8:01pm »

on Jul 21st, 2007, 6:15pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yo Fellas,

Now that is more like it !! The breezeway halfway down the length of 6936 is nothing more than a shortcut to the other side of the engine for the workmen or the crew. It is safe, and oil slick free.

I was there as well when 3985 led the E-9's and a LONG passenger consist, with lots of Vista Domes, to Southern California and LAUS. Great shots and great new friends.  

Notorious story; When the UP consist led by 3985 and the E-9's came to Southern California I showed up and had the tripod and camera with me. Set the tripod up, put in the self timer, and the auxilary self timer, for a total of 30 seconds delay, clicked off the cable release and ran to the pilot of 3985. One of the Security Guards got hysterical, ran after me, and just as he blocked the shot, the camera clicked off. He heard the click, stopped dead, apologized and told me to try again. The other security guards laughed and told me they would look the other way if I killed him.

That is a good story.  What locations did you shoot the 3985 when it was down there  
 Cheers

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2007, 10:48am by CALZEPHYR » Logged
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

4014-1.jpg - 22765 Bytes
« Reply #82 on: Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:24am »

Hi Calzephyr;

All the action was at the Montclair, CA hump yards.  

You could not believe how many people showed up, and from how far away they came.

Another famous story; A wooden staircase was attached to the side of 3985 so that visitors could see inside, walk inside, the cab of 3985. She was under full steam, had a full crew in the cab, and the people would march on in, look around and leave through the other side of the wooden staircase. As I climbed the stairs, one kid was staring into the firebox as it blazed away. I looked into it myself, looked at the kid, and said to him, "And that is a REAL fire." I then went into the cab, looked around and said to the Engineman, " I have never been in this cab before, yet everything looks familiar and normal to me, as if I have been here many times before." They all laughed and asked me if I had ever been in the cab of a 4000, a Big Boy. I immediately replied, " Many times. 4014 is a short distance away at the Los Angeles Fair Grounds, the Fairplex. " They then told me it was the exact same cab, no difference. I then said, " Are you telling me that a Big Boy is nothing more than an overgrown Challenger, a 3985 " Again they laughed and said, "Exactly right." We all then had a good laugh.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/4014-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:26am by Pennsy » Logged

CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #83 on: Jul 22nd, 2007, 1:36am »

on Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:24am, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Calzephyr;

All the action was at the Montclair, CA hump yards.  

You could not believe how many people showed up, and from how far away they came.

Another famous story; A wooden staircase was attached to the side of 3985 so that visitors could see inside, walk inside, the cab of 3985. She was under full steam, had a full crew in the cab, and the people would march on in, look around and leave through the other side of the wooden staircase. As I climbed the stairs, one kid was staring into the firebox as it blazed away. I looked into it myself, looked at the kid, and said to him, "And that is a REAL fire." I then went into the cab, looked around and said to the Engineman, " I have never been in this cab before, yet everything looks familiar and normal to me, as if I have been here many times before." They all laughed and asked me if I had ever been in the cab of a 4000, a Big Boy. I immediately replied, " Many times. 4014 is a short distance away at the Los Angeles Fair Grounds, the Fairplex. " They then told me it was the exact same cab, no difference. I then said, " Are you telling me that a Big Boy is nothing more than an overgrown Challenger, a 3985 " Again they laughed and said, "Exactly right." We all then had a good laugh.

Pennsy  

I have been in the cab of all eight of the preserved Big Boys and they are always great to see.  The Challenger cab interior was almost identical to a 4000 including the stoker and the controls before the conversion to oil back in 1993, but it still is a great place to visit.   The 844 has an almost identical size cab also since the Union Pacific did things in a big way.  
When I first saw the 4005 in June of 1970 at Denver, they were trying to push it into the old museum location and had used a diesel pushing and a cat on the front.  Guess what, it rolled the rail and I have a shot of all eight drivers on the ground.  It took several days before they got it back on the track and pushed it straight into the location avoiding the curve they had first laid out.    

I try to catch the 844 when it runs.  After the 3985 was in Roseville in 2005, we drove up to Idaho and caught it again as it was returning home to Cheyenne.  It is a great locomotive to watch and I hope it runs again in the fall as planned.  
I also like the 9000 at Pomona and the SP 5021.  I used to visit it when it was still in San Bernardino near the 3751.   I was in the Air Force at Norton and got to see the 3751 many times, but never once thought it would run again durning my visits.  
Cheers  

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2007, 1:37am by CALZEPHYR » Logged
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #84 on: Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:19am »

Hi Calzephyr;

Amazing how great minds move in similar circles.

Similar story with the 4014. It was in the museum on the opposite side of the fairgrounds for many years, right next to the stables and track for the horses. So, when the museum was able to get some steam up for the engines, the kids would be blowing the whistles, all day. The horses did not like that, and eventually the museum had to move to the other side of the fairgrounds, where it is now. So, how do you move a Big Boy from one place to another You hire Santa Fe work crews and lay temporary track and use a large truck to push the engines. That is how 4014 got its present location. With one addition; they greased and oiled all the wheels expecting them to be frozen after all those years; WRONG. 4014 just kept on rolling onto the ground. Same problem, and same solution.  

Now for the big surprise; I was working for the USAF at Norton Airplane Patch at roughly the same time. Took my lunches at either the NCO club, or the O club. Food was better at the NCO club. Stayed there as a Consultant Engineer until it closed. Worked on the ICBM's. We probably passed each other like  trains in the night. I remember vividly the first time I decided to get lunch at the O club, and had no idea where it was. A 2nd Lieutenant passed me by, I hailed him, and asked directions to the O club. He started off with "Yes, SIR,...." and kept on going. I was really impressed. Liked the NCO club better, bigger and better.  

Re; 3751: Never got to see her while she was on display. However, fairly recently she was at LAUS. Got a chance to take Metrolink into LAUS, walked over to Track 13 and there she was, with a full head of steam, blowing her whistle for the kids delight. Got a chance to shoot the breeze with the crew, and the Engineman invited me into the cab. Not as big as 4014, but cozy. Had a great time.

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:34am by Pennsy » Logged

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #85 on: Aug 11th, 2007, 5:27am »

on Jul 21st, 2007, 4:32pm, CALZEPHYR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
  Does anyone know why they built a wall way between the engine compartments

I think . . .  the DDs were built with a cut-through halfway down the unit to shorten the hike for any crewmember or shop person who had to walk around to the other side without climbing down to the ground.

Calzephyr,  superb photos, by the way . . .

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2007, 5:28am by Norm_Anderson » Logged
CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #86 on: Aug 11th, 2007, 8:33pm »

on Aug 11th, 2007, 5:27am, Norm_Anderson wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I think . . .  the DDs were built with a cut-through halfway down the unit to shorten the hike for any crewmember or shop person who had to walk around to the other side without climbing down to the ground.

Calzephyr,  superb photos, by the way . . .

Regards,

Norm

Norm  

You are probably right about the reason for the cut-through.  Those units are really long.  

Thanks for the comment on the pictures.  They were much better before they were sized down from 4 to 5 Meg to almost zero.  

Cheers

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2007, 8:33pm by CALZEPHYR » Logged
railfan1979
Historian
  2007_0804_009.jpg - 57603 Bytes
« Reply #87 on: Aug 15th, 2007, 2:22am »

I'm lovin the pics of the heritage units!!! keep em' comin!! Here's some foreign power on CSX's indianapolis line in berea, ohio: SD70M #4238 leads this train eastbound.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/2007_0804_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

765 fan
Historian
  P1010003.jpg - 63249 Bytes
« Reply #88 on: Aug 20th, 2007, 3:28pm »

I'll post my pics from my trip to Rochelle yesterday.What a great day fro rare power!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/P1010003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Head manager of the Chicagoland Railroad.

Pay attention to life, it will surprise you.

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and make everyone wonder how the hell did you do that!?!
765 fan
Historian
  P1010004.jpg - 58451 Bytes
« Reply #89 on: Aug 20th, 2007, 3:28pm »

No patch!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/P1010004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and make everyone wonder how the hell did you do that!?!
765 fan
Historian
  P1010005.jpg - 64113 Bytes
« Reply #90 on: Aug 20th, 2007, 3:30pm »

Any info on this one?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/P1010005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

765 fan
Historian
  P1010013.jpg - 58803 Bytes
« Reply #91 on: Aug 20th, 2007, 3:31pm »

Espee on this one.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/P1010013.jpg
Click Image to Resize

765 fan
Historian
  P1010018.jpg - 57935 Bytes
« Reply #92 on: Aug 20th, 2007, 3:32pm »

More Espee and a meet!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/P1010018.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #93 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 4:55pm »

on Aug 20th, 2007, 3:32pm, 765 fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
More Espee and a meet!

Thanks for the Rochelle pictures.  I visited Rochelle a few years back and saw a lot of action in just one hour early one morning.    
Cheers

joneau261
Historian
  P1000007_828x621.jpg - 88812 Bytes
« Reply #94 on: Aug 26th, 2007, 7:59pm »

I got to see some Union Pacific action during my visit to Iowa.

A coal train passes through Boone, IA

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/P1000007_828x621.jpg
Click Image to Resize

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
joneau261
Historian
  P1000150_828x621.jpg - 97977 Bytes
« Reply #95 on: Aug 26th, 2007, 8:01pm »

Another freight passes through Boone.  
(This was while I was at the Boone and Scenic Valley Railroad)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/P1000150_828x621.jpg
Click Image to Resize

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
joneau261
Historian
  P1000233_828x621.jpg - 96660 Bytes
« Reply #96 on: Aug 26th, 2007, 8:03pm »

The C&NW heritage unit came through on a freight

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/P1000233_828x621.jpg
Click Image to Resize

joneau261
Historian
  P1000237_828x621.jpg - 85281 Bytes
« Reply #97 on: Aug 26th, 2007, 8:08pm »

At the same moment B&SV 8419 returned to the station, the 1995 rolls by

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/P1000237_828x621.jpg
Click Image to Resize

joneau261
Historian
  P1000275_828x621.jpg - 57854 Bytes
« Reply #98 on: Aug 26th, 2007, 8:10pm »

Just 3.5 miles from Boone is the Kate Shelly High Bridge, the highest and longest double track railroad bridge in the world

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/P1000275_828x621.jpg
Click Image to Resize

joneau261
Historian
  P1000312_828x621.jpg - 100412 Bytes
« Reply #99 on: Aug 26th, 2007, 8:11pm »

A few days later at Mason City, some switching is done on the ex-C&NW line

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/P1000312_828x621.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »