Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 25th, 2017, 2:23am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Union Pacific Picture Thread!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   UP Discussion
(Moderators: zwsplac, Mark_Foster)
   Union Pacific Picture Thread!
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Union Pacific Picture Thread!  (Read 10921 times)
zwsplac
Historian
Re: Union Pacific Picture Thread!

« Reply #160 on: Nov 6th, 2008, 6:11pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Speaking of Heritage units....

Here's 3 pictures I got from my recent vacation to the Caliente, NV area. The last train of the trip was pulled by 1982.

Editor of frograil.com's Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Railfan Pages
Visit them at frograil.com

Birdman
TRAINing

« Reply #161 on: Nov 11th, 2008, 1:47am »

on Nov 20th, 2007, 4:30pm, CALZEPHYR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I found some Geeps in the Denver industrial area near Tower Road used for local switching.  The Blue unit is lettered GATX on the side and labeled GMTX on the rear and cab.   Anyone know why the names are not the same??   It looks like it was painted recently.  

UP lease those units to have more power if they need it but don't have to buy them. GATX- "Power you canT rely on...) they don't get much love and didn't get much when GATX bought them and refurbished them, I guess. We have issues with them mechanically and electrically...

Birdman
TRAINing

« Reply #162 on: Nov 11th, 2008, 1:52am »

on Nov 17th, 2007, 12:10pm, CALZEPHYR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This empty coal train was tied down on the KP east of Denver at Tower road yesterday.  I noticed it on my trip back to the airport.  The 6725 must be a repaint because the numbers do not seem to align up correctly.  

It may be an SP unit repainted or a UP unit that was repaired after damage. We get kits from 3M containing all the lettering and numbering stickers for renumbers. i try to be neat but some don't...

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #163 on: Nov 24th, 2008, 1:06pm »

That last shot is really nice CZ.

The last couple of weekends I've done some minor railfanning while sticking within a couple hours of Las Vegas.  

On the 15th, I headed out to Cima Hill for the morning, and captured this sequence of the eastbound ZLADV clawing up Cima Hill while the KG1LA impatiently waits. Soon the meet is over and the KG1LA is tiptoeing its long train down the hill and around the S-curves.

Last Saturday I decided to go to the Afton Canyon rather than waiting for January like I'd been planning. Conditions weren't ideal for photos and traffic was average, but I still managed some decent shots. The first shot is the DPU on the eastbound KLAG1 as it winds through the canyon. The second shot is of the ZLADV crossing the Mojave River.

« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2008, 1:08pm by zwsplac » Logged

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #164 on: Dec 4th, 2008, 8:33pm »

Nice photo, but next time mention that the 8444 is a diesel. Initially I thought you got the 844 confused with her becoming the 8444 for a while.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #165 on: Jan 13th, 2009, 12:19pm »

I guess I never did get around to posting some pictures of the snow on Cima Hill. Both pictures taken at Cima Summit. It was amazing seeing all the snow on the ground. I think they got a about 8 inches all told.

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #166 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 12:00pm »

3 shots taken on my various journeys around the LA&SL the past couple of weekends.

First is KLAG1 screaming past Nipton, CA at 70MPH on 1/24! What a beautiful day.

On January 31st, I headed out to the Afton Canyon for a day of trains. The LA&SL was a little more active than normal both this weekend and last. It bodes well for this coming weekend when I'll go out once again.

Not 2 minutes after sunup, a train was already heading through Basin where I'd spent the night.

A few hours later a flurry of eastbounds hit. One of these was the KLAG1. I turned to snap it taking the green signal when it suddenly dropped to flashing yellow. With straight track like that, it's no wonder trains can really get up and fly across the desert!

CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

IMG_0571_Fix_L_2_760x521.jpg - 43608 Bytes
« Reply #167 on: Feb 25th, 2009, 4:49pm »

UP 580 with the flanger running ahead of Amtrak #5 and the 1988 on the Z train from Chicago to Lathop, CA on 2/16/2009

This is the Colfax shot of "Miss Katy" in the snow on 2/16/2009.

This is "Miss Katy" at Weimar crossing west of Colfax.  The melting snow on the nose looks like an eagle to me, instead of the star it will be in Auburn.

The 1988 downhill at Auburn Ca.  The snow has melted off of the nose and the star is visible again.  

And the sunlight began to shine under the clouds in Roseville as the 1988 goes west.  

1988 wider view in Colfax.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/IMG_0571_Fix_L_2_760x521.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2009, 7:04pm by CALZEPHYR » Logged
CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #168 on: Feb 26th, 2009, 5:28pm »

This is what the snow storm in the background looked like before the sun came out from under the clouds in Roseville Ca.  

CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #169 on: Feb 27th, 2009, 5:59pm »

The 1996 was on the Northbound Z train from LA to Portland again today.  The light was not great since the sun was directly overhead with scattered clouds.  

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #170 on: Mar 2nd, 2009, 8:02pm »

Nice shots, CZ. I was supposed to head to Tucson last weekend to capture some UP action, but I cancelled because I am way too tired from work!

I think I might replace it with a trip up your way to see some UP Steam over Donner come April.

CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #171 on: Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:14am »

on Mar 2nd, 2009, 8:02pm, zwsplac wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Nice shots, CZ. I was supposed to head to Tucson last weekend to capture some UP action, but I cancelled because I am way too tired from work!

I think I might replace it with a trip up your way to see some UP Steam over Donner come April.

Ken  

I am planning on being in Reno the morning the 844 starts west over the Hill.   Let me know what you are driving and say hello.  The Roseville yard will be 100 years old in April and that should be an interesting display.  

The picture below is from August of 2007, but it is the 1988 at Auburn Ca in the very late evening light.   A Z train on another day.  

CZ

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2009, 6:17pm by CALZEPHYR » Logged
zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #172 on: Mar 5th, 2009, 2:51pm »

Well, if I do go I'd be driving a rental so no idea what it would be! It would definitely be a fun trip, but I've been thinking about buying a house too and it might be better to save some money for that too. Who knows.

CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #173 on: Mar 5th, 2009, 8:24pm »

on Mar 5th, 2009, 2:51pm, zwsplac wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well, if I do go I'd be driving a rental so no idea what it would be! It would definitely be a fun trip, but I've been thinking about buying a house too and it might be better to save some money for that too. Who knows.

If you don't make it over here, I will be posting pictures.  There is one unnamed steam locomotive besides the 844 that will be attending according to the UP spokes person.   That one could be the 2472 or the 4449 or maybe some other locomotive, but I would tend to believe it will be one from the Southern Pacific line since the yard was a CP / SP yard.  

Your guess is as good as anyone's.

In the meantime waiting for next month, this is a shot of the 3985 in 2005 when it came to Roseville.  This picture is southbound at Baseline into Sacramento after they came down the Feather River Canyon.   They were moving when they came by me.  

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2009, 12:11am by CALZEPHYR » Logged
zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #174 on: Mar 9th, 2009, 5:25pm »

A couple of shots from my last foray along the LA&SL on Valentine's Day.

One major train of interest that popped up that day was the KCIATD detouring over the LA&SL from the City of Industry and headed for Atlanta. A roundabout route if there ever was one, but of interest on the rear of the train were the Tropicana reefers headed back to Florida. Shown here meeting the ISCLB at Moapa.

About 90 minutes later and 10 miles to the north, I captured another meet. This one was between resident hotshot ZLADV and an unknown coal train. Beautiful scenery up here!

Since these shots, UP has begun heavy tie work in this area with the consequence that on typical days there are no westbound trains in daylight! Therefore it is hardly worth even going out and I've been going other places, such as Montana for some MRL a couple weeks ago and Tehachapi this last weekend. However, I may venture up to the Nevada/Utah border this Saturday since that's where you'll find trains in daylight. As a bonus, I've been wanting to get up there for awhile.

CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #175 on: Mar 10th, 2009, 1:38pm »

Ken  
Nice shots.  I did not realize the Tropicana cars came out this way.  

UP 1988 on stack train westbound to Oakland.

UP 1988 on the west leg of the Y in Roseville.  

UP 1988 westbound on Roseville Road in Sacramento

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2009, 6:58pm by CALZEPHYR » Logged
zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #176 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 5:59pm »

on Mar 10th, 2009, 1:38pm, CALZEPHYR wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Ken  
Nice shots.  I did not realize the Tropicana cars came out this way.  

The KATLB takes a few out to City of Industry several times per week and the KCIAT takes the empties back east.

Trying to figure out how I'll do my trip up there if I do come to see 844. My hope was that I will fly into Sacramento and spend 2 days on Donner, then 2 days in the Feather River Canyon before returning home. However, it is much cheaper to fly to Reno but then my itenerary wouldn't have a good flow to it. If I fly to Reno I'd probably end up with a day in the eastern part of the FRC, chase 844 over Donner the next, spend another day in the FRC, then spend the last day on Donner near Reno. Actually, that would work pretty well!

CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #177 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 11:24pm »

on Mar 11th, 2009, 5:59pm, zwsplac wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The KATLB takes a few out to City of Industry several times per week and the KCIAT takes the empties back east.

Trying to figure out how I'll do my trip up there if I do come to see 844. My hope was that I will fly into Sacramento and spend 2 days on Donner, then 2 days in the Feather River Canyon before returning home. However, it is much cheaper to fly to Reno but then my itenerary wouldn't have a good flow to it. If I fly to Reno I'd probably end up with a day in the eastern part of the FRC, chase 844 over Donner the next, spend another day in the FRC, then spend the last day on Donner near Reno. Actually, that would work pretty well!

Flying to Reno sounds like the right choice.  If you can take an early flight on the prior day, that would allow you to see traffic on the Feather River line all day long and be back down to Sparks for the arrival of the 844 late in the day.  It is short flight and it is a quick drive up to Portola area for the day prior to the 844.  It should be worth the effort for sure.   The run over the Hill to Roseville will take several hours with maintenance work going on almost all the time lately after the big snows we had last month.  You should be able to get shots several places on uphill from Reno to Truckee and then several places on the way down the other side.  

I would guess there will be lots of company including the CHP so watch for those, but the train speed over the hill is very slow both up and down so no real chase is even needed.  
Did you get a chance to check out my Photobucket??

CZ

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #178 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 11:50am »

on Mar 12th, 2009, 11:24pm, CALZEPHYR wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Flying to Reno sounds like the right choice.  If you can take an early flight on the prior day, that would allow you to see traffic on the Feather River line all day long and be back down to Sparks for the arrival of the 844 late in the day.  It is short flight and it is a quick drive up to Portola area for the day prior to the 844.  It should be worth the effort for sure.   The run over the Hill to Roseville will take several hours with maintenance work going on almost all the time lately after the big snows we had last month.  You should be able to get shots several places on uphill from Reno to Truckee and then several places on the way down the other side.  

I would guess there will be lots of company including the CHP so watch for those, but the train speed over the hill is very slow both up and down so no real chase is even needed.  
Did you get a chance to check out my Photobucket??

CZ

Well, I got my flight all booked for coming up late the night of Wednesday the 15th and leaving that Sunday evening. Spend Thursday on the east end of the Feather River Canyon and on out to Sand Pass, Friday over Donner with the 844, Saturday in the FRC from Oroville to Keddie, then spend Sunday around Reno before flying out that night. I'd like to save a few bucks and get a rental car rather than an SUV. I should be able to get around the FRC and Donner with one, but have you ever been out to Sand Pass before? The roads out there look like decent dirt from aerial photos, but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a decent looking road turn out to be a nightmare. I want to hit all the WP locations I can, because UP apparently is throwing most of it's eggs in the Donner basket and as soon as they get clearances improved, the WP will go to 2 trains per day plus occasional extras. They stuck with the SP line too over by Salt Lake City, so I want to hit that stretch of WP before it gets down to 4 trains per day or so. By the end of 2009, I will actually have visited most of the WP between Sacramento and Salt Lake City! I can do the SP any other time.

Liked your Photobucket a lot. Those steam shots from Illinois and Indiana really stole the show for me.

I was out exploring more of the LA&SL last weekend. I made it all the way to Modena, UT! Once the tie gangs cleared up, the westbounds started to roll.

Taken from the highway overpass at Modena, which was not a photo friendly bridge! This is the MSCWC, but I suspect it may have been combined with an MNPWC because it usually doesn't get this long till after it's pickup in Las Vegas...and it usually doesn't have 6 engines and 2 DPUs!

Last shot of the day was of this Ballast train near the small Mormon community of Barclay, NV.

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #179 on: Mar 23rd, 2009, 6:49pm »

3 pictures from my Tehachapi adventure earlier this month. Even though BNSF trains outnumber UP almost 4 to 1 during daylight hours, I found that at night was when UP ran most of their trains, outnumbering BNSF trains almost 2 to 1 during the dark hours!

Early on a Saturday morning, just after sunrise, the southbound Brooklyn meets a BNSF Z at the loop. Here is the over/under shot.

Another over/under of sorts, a UP lumber drag from Calzehpyr's neck of the woods awaits a BNSF vehicle train.

The Seattle heads through Caliente with an SD9043MAC in the consist. I got sick of seeing those in Kansas, now they're a nice treat.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »